Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S2 Discussion and Support Thread - page 59. (Read 355730 times)

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003
"So don't think because these PSU's are running at 95 or 100% they are only like 50% efficient, they still maintain near 90% efficiency even at full load."

Obviously not, where did you get that crazy idea from. 
Activity: 157
Merit: 100
Quick question: I'm looking around town for a place to host 4 Antminer S2's..

So far the best deal is a half-cabinet with a max power draw of 2.4kva. Would this be enough to power these four machines (totalling approximately 4000w)? Thanks.
Activity: 97
Merit: 10
Lo all.

About to pick up a couple more S2 but all my coupons have expired.

Anyone with some coupons spare a couple? Will tip!!
Name on bitmain site is the same.

Thnks all
Because of advertising they want the highest rating to advertise.

That 4% makes a big difference especially if the psu is rated at 1000 watts and the mining rig pulls 1050 or more.  I don't have experience with ener max gold plus 1000 but some seem to believe it is inadequate for the s2.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
I replaced my Batch 2 PSU with a 1300W EVGA and its made zero difference to the hash rate.

cant say fairer than that.

perhaps my older batch 4 is just a lemon and my battered 'new' rig is a potential 1st place contender.

perhaps there are other limiting factors...

just because we paid for 1TH doesnt mean we should willfully ignore the possibility of a potential increase.

EVERY other rig ive ever ran has given more than it was touted as able to - eventually...

why should these be any different??

forgot to add  - the rig powered by my OCZ1000w hasnt dipped below 1TH in days - while both the 10 blade & 9 blade rig are powered by enermax 1000w and are fluctuating between 900 -1000Gh/s

the power cable for the OCZ is almost 3 times as thick as the enermax cable... and relatively cool to touch - enermax cables are considerably warmer.

It could be that you may be able to overclock the S2 with a better power supply, but from the people who I have seen try it you only get a measly 10% increase and at the risk of much higher HW errors. These aren't Jupiters that you can push to 50-60% overclocks, the entire design ethos around the S2 is different, these are basically underclocked S1 antminers crammed into a single box. I think the backplanes and power components on the boards just aren't built to handle more power higher currents.

Assuming Enermax cable is minimum 16 guage thats 10amp.  Could be psu is struggling at full load to supply the necessary amps to miner, because even 1000 watt  unit is most efficient at 50% load rating this drops at 95-100%.  Maybe switch the power cables for another test that would narrow down.

I'm sorry I see this wrong information mentioned so often I just have to say something here. The 50% load efficiency myth is just that, a myth. Modern, quality 80+ Silvier/Gold/Platinum power supplies are only 1-5% less efficient at 100% load than they are at 50% load, heck they are least efficient usualy between 1-25% load.

If you don't believe me read some proper PSU reviews from somewhere like jonnyguru.com, heck lets just go right to the review of the PSU that comes in the S2.

The Enermax Revolution 87+ 1000W http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=270

The difference in efficiency between 50% and 100% in the hot tests is 4% and in the "normal" temperature tests its 3.6%

So don't think because these PSU's are running at 95 or 100% they are only like 50% efficient, they still maintain near 90% efficiency even at full load.
Activity: 157
Merit: 100
Hi  I'm hoping someone can help.  I placed a order with Bitmain and sent payment from Coinbase. From my end it looks like everything went ok but
Bitmain shows they did not receive payment and now the order shows it has expired.  Where did my Bitcoin go? I have ordered in the past and have had no problem.  I just hope I didn't lose 2K worth of Bitcoin.
Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

Send an email to Bitmain to fix the order status, it happened to my order also, don't worry he will ship your order.
[/quote

Thanks for the reply . I sent email  and all is well. seems to a good company to deal with.   ]
legendary
Activity: 1098
Merit: 1000
The SP10 is such a crappy deal compared to the Antminer S2

Yep, their reluctance (or greed) to reduce the price while everyone was pissed off with BM has cost them greatly. What's better, sell 1 miner for $500 profit or 10 miners for $200 profit... spondoolies definitlely missed the boat here...

Curious how you both think the S2 is a better deal

Price
S2:    $2359, 1000GH = $2.36 per GH
SP10: $2795, 1400GH = $2.00 per GH

Power
S2:    1000 GH, 1000W = 1w/GH
SP10: 1400 GH, 1200W = 0.85w/GH

PS Both are beaten on price by the A1 clones, which can be had for around $1800, or $1.80 per GH (if only all the dealers weren't sketchy)
Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Yep, their reluctance (or greed) to reduce the price while everyone was pissed off with BM has cost them greatly. What's better, sell 1 miner for $500 profit or 10 miners for $200 profit... spondoolies definitlely missed the boat here...
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
I have 4 batch 4 S2's that max out at 1100 then drop down to 800-900 then back up to 1100 constantly, never a stable rate.

I tried spreading the load out over 2 power supplies today but it made no difference [1 seasonic 1000w and the  S2 enermax 1000w]

They seem to be picky about pools.

My S2s run like champs on Eligius.

On BTCGuild, one had 36% "bad", mostly "unknown".  The other was 1% bad.

On p2pool, they run around 920-930gh/s, and more than once I've had errors appear (x's or dashes) as soon as I point it to p2pool.

M
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
I have 4 batch 4 S2's that max out at 1100 then drop down to 800-900 then back up to 1100 constantly, never a stable rate.

I tried spreading the load out over 2 power supplies today but it made no difference [1 seasonic 1000w and the  S2 enermax 1000w]
Two high quality 660 platinum are enough to push 1400 watts easily.  Sea sonics can he had after rebate for $80 every few months.
Activity: 569
How are the 10 boards powered from the power supply? 10 atx wires? (oh 6 atx to power board) 3 per 750 power supply then!
Wouldn't it be cheaper and more efficient using 2 750watt supplies? of course one would be outside the case.

I would think as we phase out the S1's those left over 750's would power these easily.

anyhow that is what I would do instead of running a power supply at 100% 24/7/3.
   3 being for 3 months when it fries itself.. haha.
even 2 600's or 650's.
Activity: 504
guess its about time to bite the bullet and buy an s2...
I replaced my Batch 2 PSU with a 1300W EVGA and its made zero difference to the hash rate.

Thank you for the reply, I'll hold off for now.  Appreciate it.

+1 me too - nearly ordered one before I seen your post...
Activity: 918
Merit: 1002

Thank you for the reply, I'll hold off for now.  Appreciate it.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Assuming Enermax cable is minimum 16 guage thats 10amp.  Could be psu is struggling at full load to supply the necessary amps to miner, because even 1000 watt  unit is most efficient at 50% load rating this drops at 95-100%.  Maybe switch the power cables for another test that would narrow down.

Actually, 16 gauge wire is rated up to 13A (safely 12.5A), so it should be fine in US for S2 (no need for 14 gauge).
the confusion about 10A stems from the fact that it is 13A for a single phase (residential recepticle) or 10A for three phase
see
http://www.rvpowerprotection.com/Links_files/extension-cords.pdf
and
http://www.chromausa.com/pdf/app-notes/AN%20-%2061500_61000%20-%20Single%20&%203%20Phase%20Power%20-%2003122013.pdf
1000w is clearly NOT ENOUGH and anyone who hasnt upgraded is losing GH by the second.

anyway - ive learnt that they need more power for a fact and i will be lucky if the ever helpful bitmain can sort me out
My batch 4 S2 is running quite happily at 1005 GH/s on the original 1000W PSU, (1086W at the wall).  Not sure where you're getting your facts.

and mine are fluctuating  'happily' around 900-1000 INCLUDING the one with ONLY 9 boards which in the short time its been running seems more stable.

you could probably get 850GH from a 850w PSU.

the point which seems obvious to me is the boards have the potential to do more..and the 1000w PSU prevents that.

not sure where you're getting your logic...

@Tracer X - excellent point about new blades..who knows if higher or lower, id guess higher.

but might be better to hold off unless u have the 1200-1300w psu handy... which u and i do not..

you might check your thermal grease. if its dried out or non-existent you may be getting increased errors - its something im looking into.

cant say fairer than that.

perhaps my older batch 4 is just a lemon and my battered 'new' rig is a potential 1st place contender.

just because we paid for 1TH doesnt mean we should willfully ignore the possibility of a potential increase.

EVERY other rig ive ever ran has given more than it was touted as able to - eventually...

why should these be any different??

forgot to add  - the rig powered by my OCZ1000w hasnt dipped below 1TH in days - while both the 10 blade & 9 blade rig are powered by enermax 1000w and are fluctuating between 900 -1000Gh/s

the power cable for the OCZ is almost 3 times as thick as the enermax cable... and relatively cool to touch - enermax cables are considerably warmer.

Assuming Enermax cable is minimum 16 guage thats 10amp.  Could be psu is struggling at full load to supply the necessary amps to miner, because even 1000 watt  unit is most efficient at 50% load rating this drops at 95-100%.  Maybe switch the power cables for another test that would narrow down.

Could be networking issue which I have found has been the cause of most of my unexplained pain.

Try swapping the network cable from the best miner to the worst miner and run for a few hours...
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
minersource.net has a good deal on used EVGA1300 for $140.
I've got a new power board with black caps-anybody has this? Will take a picture later for comparison and will also try the new board with old psu, then try to change to EVGA1300 and report performance.

its sold out

buy one new for 195 and get back 2900  in point = 29usd to spend later.

read how here.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7073381

there are more discounts possible  so a new one is about 160 with  a 10 year warranty
Pages:
Jump to: