Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 131. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Ah, finished my back room wiring to add an S5.  Just looked and it's in Anchorage.  Scheduled delivery tomorrow by end of day.  Happy with UPS!

Our s5s are riding together.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 377
I need to reduce the noise generated by the S5 as far as I reasonably can without hurting its ability to cool itself.  I find that push/pull S3 fans (~2520rpm typical) are easily quieter than the stock S5 push and cool well, though would still prefer quieter.  Would a Noctua 2000 (1" Vs 1.5" depth) as a push provide noticeably quieter operation at same ambient temp without compromising cooling?  Or some other alternative (4pin PWM needed for controller compatibility)?

PS. Received shipment confirmation today for two S5 -- thanks for the week early ship Bitmain!
Thanks again Bitmain, the two S5 arrived about an hour ago!  Swapped the push fans and have them up and running to check them out before moving to CGminer 4.9.0 and 312.5MHz.

Have decided a push S3 fan is fine, but adding one as a pull makes it a little loud.  Would like a quieter pull fan.  Am considering the Silverstone FHP141 (per Philipma1957), however, it isn't PWM, just dual speed with a PWM connector -- would definitely prefer PWM.
The S5 are running great and so I've moved them to CGminer 4.90 and 312.5MHz.  The highest reported temp is 57C with an S3 push fan and no pull (ambient ~72F, fan rpm 3240).  Am intending to try the FHP141 as a pull.
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Go Big or Go Home.....
I am using a corsair AX860i for a C1 plus cooling kit... am I cool?

Cool as ICE. Just don't overclock.
soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
Ah, finished my back room wiring to add an S5.  Just looked and it's in Anchorage.  Scheduled delivery tomorrow by end of day.  Happy with UPS!
Activity: 353
Merit: 253
I am using a corsair AX860i for a C1 plus cooling kit... am I cool?
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
so i've gotten myself a poweredge AHF-2DC-2100W power supply... does anyone know whats the efficiency (80+ gold? plat?) and power consumption on the wall for a single s5
it's gold i belive, but one of the drawbacks is it's coolers which consumes ~70W at zero load.
no point in using such a powerfull PSU with only one S5. 3 is good load for it.
i will test it with S5s later this week also i plan to disable some of it's fans.
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
Thank  you for hanging in with us during the RMA process.  Hope our fast domestic RMA helped you ease the pain a little.

for others, if you need RMA, or its too hard to trouble shoot, please use the Warranty Center in Denver, Colorado to get the diagnostic and usually the same day turn around service.

For faster communications, Live Chat here 

Live Chat: https://v2.zopim.com/widget/livechat.html?key=2ZaJsbRPVUUFCqOE8MmgXgbFFdNYxOBP

Happy Mining!

I need to reduce the noise generated by the S5 as far as I reasonably can without hurting its ability to cool itself.  I find that push/pull S3 fans (~2520rpm typical) are easily quieter than the stock S5 push and cool well, though would still prefer quieter.  Would a Noctua 2000 (1" Vs 1.5" depth) as a push provide noticeably quieter operation at same ambient temp without compromising cooling?  Or some other alternative (4pin PWM needed for controller compatibility)?

PS. Received shipment confirmation today for two S5 -- thanks for the week early ship Bitmain!
Thanks again Bitmain, the two S5 arrived about an hour ago!  Swapped the push fans and have them up and running to check them out before moving to CGminer 4.9.0 and 312.5MHz.

Have decided a push S3 fan is fine, but adding one as a pull makes it a little loud.  Would like a quieter pull fan.  Am considering the Silverstone FHP141 (per Philipma1957), however, it isn't PWM, just dual speed with a PWM connector -- would definitely prefer PWM.

Activity: 1050
Merit: 377

Activity: 15
Merit: 0
As usual with Bitmain, we pre-ship again!  (Shipped Earlier than announced)

It was great getting the news that my S5 shipped before the 30th. However mine is being held up in customs. Fedex is asking for an FCC form 740. Any help with this would be great as I don't know any of the information they want on the form.
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
is it possible to power an s5 with a 550W gold psu? Seasonic G-550 80+ Gold Modular

Only if underclocked. Using HP server supplies my S5's running stock speed pull 605-610 watts from the wall as reported by the UPS's on some of them.

One NEVER ever should continuously run any PSU at or close to it's max output. It simply will not last or be stable. For any constant load eg miners, general rule of thumb is to load a PSU - and the line feeding it - to 80% or less of the maximum rating. So for an s5 I'd go with at least a 750w supply to keep everything happy.

Agreed 80% is optimum depending on efficiency rating on the PSU. 85% is doable too but overloading a PSU in any case is not good and really just gambling with equipment lifetime.

so i've gotten myself a poweredge AHF-2DC-2100W power supply... does anyone know whats the efficiency (80+ gold? plat?) and power consumption on the wall for a single s5
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
That's what lack of competition will do. Bitmain claim's this is their last run of s5's.
I think his WTF is from the fact that buying bulk for a later batch, is more expensive than buying individual for an earlier batch.  Given some of Bitmain's earlier statements with regard to how they price their items, this situation would appear to be counter-intuitive at best.  There's no stock indicators though, so if the March batch is almost sold out, and anybody wanting to buy a bunch of them is pretty much relegated to the June batch, then the higher price might make some sort of sense, especially with regard to lack of competition from the March batch.

I hope they have something in the works for the next generation or mining will be hard for the average joe.
In an unrelated thread somebody at Bitmain suggested waiting for a newer chip from them, have to wait and see what they produce with it though Smiley
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
https://bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020150303095018716e2uWKIA70662
1 S5 is 340USD - retail, shipping 30Mar

https://bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=00020150303100340162omIT01sg0693
1 S5 is 283392*2\1600 = 354USD, bulk, shipping 09Jun

What the f***?

That's what lack of competition will do. Bitmain claim's this is their last run of s5's. I hope they have something in the works for the next generation or mining will be hard for the average joe.
Activity: 118
Merit: 10
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
All these new S5 batch are getting powered up and difficulty is going to high new highs. Sucks for anyone who bought new hardware this month

Not too worried about it, my overall hash rate is outgrowing global hash rate by reinvesting in miners.

Not to mention btc dropping below 250 again may impact hashrate
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
All these new S5 batch are getting powered up and difficulty is going to high new highs. Sucks for anyone who bought new hardware this month

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
I just had a thread in the Hardware section about feeding one pcie cable over 300w and although they can do it if you watch them, IMO it's just too much for safety concern unless you run aftermarket heavy duty cables and a very good power supply.

I was running 600watts through a Thermaltake 750W gold with 2 pcie cables using 4 conenctors. Almost 300w each cable.
The cables started getting warm to the touch after an hour or two. The cables are ribbon 18awg stock cables.

I'll try the same with my evga 1300 to see how it handles the same.

44-45C does feel like slightly worm, but not hot.
I have no idea about anything else but EVGA 1300
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
what is keeping you from using those molex to pcie adapters on 2 of the plugs?
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Go Big or Go Home.....
I just had a thread in the Hardware section about feeding one pcie cable over 300w and although they can do it if you watch them, IMO it's just too much for safety concern unless you run aftermarket heavy duty cables and a very good power supply.

I was running 600watts through a Thermaltake 750W gold with 2 pcie cables using 4 conenctors. Almost 300w each cable.
The cables started getting warm to the touch after an hour or two. The cables are ribbon 18awg stock cables.

I'll try the same with my evga 1300 to see how it handles the same.

legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Will an EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2] PSU be sufficient to power two S5's? (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438011&cm_re=evga_1300_g2-_-17-438-011-_-Product)

I have a brand new one, and space is a bit of an issue so I'd rather not buy a second power supply unless I really have to. Don't pan to overclock the s5's so only asking about it's standard power draw.

It is totally fine (for regular speed). I run them more than two months like that. I connect two doubles (with two connectors each) to one machine and four singles to another with each single double cable feeding one board (side) of the miner, although others use a different architecture. I also checked with a laser thermal probe and cable temperature never exceeded 42-45C. Connector temp also never exceeded 44-45C (with 28C ambient). If you are concerned about temp-get the laser probe-I liked to play around with it.
http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00NI3HNQK
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Will an EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2] PSU be sufficient to power two S5's? (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438011&cm_re=evga_1300_g2-_-17-438-011-_-Product)

I have a brand new one, and space is a bit of an issue so I'd rather not buy a second power supply unless I really have to. Don't pan to overclock the s5's so only asking about it's standard power draw.

it's about 590 watt at the wall so 1180 watt. You are using like 91% of your PSU. It's fine
Question is , how will he drive 8 pcie connectors through 6 cables on the evga 1300.

6 x 6+2 Pin PCI-E

2 x 6 Pin PCI-E

That's 8 cables. Eva 1300 has 6.
It's 6 cables, but many people have had success pulling the ~275W per blade through a single cable using the two ended cables. It's still modular so you'll be pulling over 22A at the connection between the PSU and cable and that's pushing it, but it's also the cool end of the cable. Run the two individual cables to the board that powers the controller and fan, and the double headed one to the other board.

If your ambient is high, I wouldn't push it much with overclocking. Mine pulls ~700W at the wall running at 400MHz on a 1000W Platinum supply, and that's pretty boarderline through a single connector.
Jump to: