Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 134. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
What is the best way to overheat the miner to check if it will shut down at 80C?

Put something infront of the front fan?
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
If you are concerned with your unit not able to control the temperature, please contact us as soon as possible for a possible warranty case.

Possible bug in firmware. A critical one.

I had my pool drop out on me, they were having problems and I was disconnected, so the miner wasn't hashing. The fan slowed down to almost like 100-200 RPMs but the temperature kept rising. The fan NEEDS to keep running to keep the ASIC chips cools weather hashing or not it seems. Temps went up to 75-80 so I turned them off right away to let them cool. Bitmain, you need to review the firmware so that when the rig gets disconnected from the pool it doesn't disrupt the fan speed to keeping the chips cool. If I wasn't home and didn't hear the beeping sound I'm wondering how high that temperature could of went to. I actually felt the heat if I put my hand over the miner. It can't just be ambient temps, because these chips cool really quickly...so something else is going on here. If you want to try and test, pull your ethernet cable out and see if your fan stops or slows down and watch your temps closely.

Once I re-established a connection, everything looks good. Any ideas on this? We don't want burnt up miners, right?

You can configure it to shut off at 80 C but yeah it would be nice to have a control from the GUI.

I wish some others would test this.  I had this same type of thing happen about 6 weeks ago.  The firmware safety net of 80C shutdown did NOT work (yes, mine is checked).  When I saw it, one blade was up to 106C.  I mentioned this before, here, but with the Chinese New Year timing, I'm guessing it didn't fall on any ears at Bitmain.

If true a major fire hazard. BITMAIN can you confirm that the 800 C shut off works. I will be operating my miners remotely in the coming weeks and need to make sure that safeguards work so my house does not burn down.
soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
My S5 order shows paid, unshipped, valid, order date 3/18 but then again so does my second C1 order which is happily hashing away in my backroom.
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
If you crank the clock down it might work, at least for a while.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
is it possible to power an s5 with a 550W gold psu? Seasonic G-550 80+ Gold Modular

No.

Specifications
Hash Rate: 1155 GH/s ±5%
Power Consumption: 590 W (at the wall)
Power Efficiency: 0.51 J/GH (at the wall)
Rated Voltage: 12V
Activity: 84
Ouch
A lot cheaper in the USA even with exchange factored in!

Wow, that's a crazy markup. Where do you live?

Canuckistan

[That means Canada btw Tongue]

Canada no longer exists. Failed experiment.

Yeah everyone had to move south to Yankeestan
Activity: 99
is it possible to power an s5 with a 550W gold psu? Seasonic G-550 80+ Gold Modular

Hi, has anyone manage checkout on bitmaintech using USD?

I've had two customers buy S5's from me on eBay who said that thried and could not complete a USD purchase directly from Bitmain, tho i do not know the details why -- one also said he could not use his $400-off S4 coupon unless he paid with BTC.

-dave

yeap.. had to contact them directly to make the purchase
Activity: 84
Hi, has anyone manage checkout on bitmaintech using USD?

I've had two customers buy Antminers from me on eBay who said that they tried but could not complete a USD purchase directly from Bitmain, though I do not know the details why -- one also said he could not use his $400-off S4 coupon unless he paid with BTC.

This was a few months ago -- things may have changed on Bitmaintech.com since then...

At first I assumed people were buying overpriced mining rigs from me on eBay because they just preferred to buy from a US-based seller with whom they had some recourse if things went badly. But it seems others were paying a premium to pay with PayPal instead of BTC, either so they could reverse the payment if need be, or maybe just because they didn't have any bitcoin yet, and didn't want to link their bank accounts to the Bitcoin exchanges (one was afraid because those seem to get hacked routinely) to get some.

Extremist Libertarians, privacy nuts, survivalists, the un-banked, the government-paranoid conspiracy theorists, the money laundering drug dealers and international terrorist fund raisers.  All attracted to bitcoin like moths to the flame... :-) 

-dave (just tripping the NSA keyword-list for fun guys, lol.  Move along, now -- nothing to see here.  Go ahead... move along, I said.)
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Got the tracking# from Bitmain for my order with Wed delivery and the last 'new in-box' s4 from Zoomhash arrives today. Of course I'll be headed out in an hour for a week long service trip Wink
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Personal text my ass....
Awesome, received tracking info for Wednesday delivery.
Activity: 123
Thx. Got tracking number on 2015-03-10 purchase.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
thx got tracking number Wink
Activity: 741
Merit: 514
https://www.bitmain.com
Shipping for AntMiner S5 Batch 5 has started from today by batches Wink Wink Wink
Please check tracking number in your account directly.
grn
Activity: 357
Merit: 252
Ouch

Canuckistan

Only for the unique and distinct society within Canada

bye FLQ
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
Ouch

Canuckistan

Activity: 805
Merit: 250
Along the lines of when the Ants update the GUI and how...
Anyone having 1 blade of their S3+ or s5 periodically shutting down with hashrate dropping to 1/2 and yet the ASIC status show all chips are are fine? Not until a soft reboot will the status show ----- for the entire dead blade.

Do a hard boot and all is well again for several days or weeks before they get lazy again. Out of the 37 Ants in my farm 3 s3+'s and 2 s5's do this. Can't blame the PSU's because all are ran off of server PSU's feeding 2-3 miners and the other miners on the PSU are fine.

I have had it a few times on my S5.  I am using a RM1000.   I just have to reboot even in gui and it fixes it. 

If it is really happening a lot you could use M's antminer monitor and have it automated to reboot if drop in hash that far.

M's monitor program only alerts you, it doesn't actually reboot the miner. Can also SSH into it and type in "reboot" if you can't access the WebGui.

Also, anyone try the modified firmware by smit? It has cgminer 4.9.0 on it and also has voltage control now. He said the firmware is solid and two of my friends updated all their S5's with no problems and they've been running great.

I'm still nervous about the temperature issue I ran into a couple days ago. We have a few examples and screen shots of the temps being over 80c and still operating. Can BITMAIN please look further into this? Who ever codes your firmware, please I beg you. I appreciate it very much. We all do.

Oh, here is a screen capture of my friend's graph stats built into that new firmware. Very cool. Will using that firmware void warranty?

You got a link to that firmware .?
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Ouch

Canuckistan

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
If you bricked S5 controller's firmware, it can be restored depends on how badly it is messed up the internal firmware by using the MicroSD card.

You can reboot S5 from a bootable MicroSD card with S5 bootable image on them.

Once you booted S5 from the MicroSD card, please SSH into the S5 and run this command and it will fix the internal firmware issues.  If you are not familier with this process, you can always request a live tech to remote into your computer, create a bootable recovery MicroSD card for you and run this SSH with you.

/etc/init.d/pgnand.sh

Bootable Image can be downloaded from here:

https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203461209-Jan-7-Firmware-Image

You can use this file to restore any MicroSD card (preferably 4GB card) with HDD GURU's Raw Disk Copy Tool that is free to download on the Internet.

Unfortunately mine is too far gone, nothing to SSH to to run the command.

I did confirm the .imgc works though and have rehosted on mega here in case of DDOS. 4GB is minimum size of SD card. Also rejigged it into a .img [zipped] if people prefer that format, hosted on mega here.
legendary
On the lazy miners issue, I see one of the s5's at work is in that mode right now. In the morning I'll take a few screen shots of the GUI in it's various states before I head out on a service trip to CA.
legendary
gonna have to give that a closer look. Damn good price. Thanks.
The switching outlets per-se is a non-starter of course due to the total load 8-10 miners draws but - I have a lot of contactors around with 110vac coils for brute power switching and simple relays with 110v coil that can switch the PSU control pins.

For the chronically lazy miners I'll just program it to cycle their power every 2-3 days to hopefully nip the problem in the bud. For the s5's I'll set for maybe once a week.

I only have 2 miner's on it now. Don't know what the capacity would be, but it can handle up to 15 amps which is what my electric circuit is in my home. I don't have my miner's all in one place, so I may even try to pick another one up. I just like the fact it has auto-ping and scheduling built right in. It may help users with other devices that need a good solid reboot once in a while too. I schedule my cable modem to reboot once a week, for some reason it peps right up after a reboot. One snafu I have with it is you may need to buy those 6 inch 3 prong power extensions because lots of routers and devices use power blocks that take up 2 spaces. They are very cheap on eBay. Even the 12-14 gauge ones. I'd like to find out more about the built in scripting too. I've never used it with my KNC miner but when I got my Ants, I said I may as well get more use out of it.
specs say it has a 15A thermal breaker on it so that is the max total loading. The 1650w available is good for a couple s5's or 1 s4. ergo in my case the need to use it as a pilot signal for the ~14kw of server PSU's I'm feeding
Jump to: