Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 132. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Go Big or Go Home.....
Will an EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2] PSU be sufficient to power two S5's? (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438011&cm_re=evga_1300_g2-_-17-438-011-_-Product)

I have a brand new one, and space is a bit of an issue so I'd rather not buy a second power supply unless I really have to. Don't pan to overclock the s5's so only asking about it's standard power draw.

it's about 590 watt at the wall so 1180 watt. You are using like 91% of your PSU. It's fine
Question is , how will he drive 8 pcie connectors through 6 cables on the evga 1300.

6 x 6+2 Pin PCI-E

2 x 6 Pin PCI-E

That's 8 cables. Eva 1300 has 6.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
What is the best way to overheat the miner to check if it will shut down at 80C?
Blocking or unplugging the fan in my mind, could be voiding a warranty.  My test was to simply disconnect my internet - which is a real life occurrence (failed internet service).  It might take a few minutes for the current information to finish its hashing and start beeping, but it will.
Why would no internet connection cause it to overheat?

Oops... I made an assumption, that the way my S5's and Opentoe's are working, that will do it.  When there is no internet, there is no new information coming in to the miner to hash.  What at least the 2 of us have seen, is when it's not hashing, it heats up.  I would try that first, so that if you have any hardware failure from overheating, no internet access is a regular problem that should be planned for (the other options mentioned, are not normal operating conditions expected for the miners - just my opinion).

My internet connection (3G) was down for two days. I did not know it at the time. The miner was running 20C cooler with no internet connection.

They should run cooler with no internet because that will stop them from hashing.  I wonder what makes some heat up when they're not doing any work?
Activity: 311
Merit: 250
Will an EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2] PSU be sufficient to power two S5's? (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438011&cm_re=evga_1300_g2-_-17-438-011-_-Product)

I have a brand new one, and space is a bit of an issue so I'd rather not buy a second power supply unless I really have to. Don't pan to overclock the s5's so only asking about it's standard power draw.

it's about 590 watt at the wall so 1180 watt. You are using like 91% of your PSU. It's fine
Question is , how will he drive 8 pcie connectors through 6 cables on the evga 1300.

6 x 6+2 Pin PCI-E

2 x 6 Pin PCI-E
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Personal text my ass....
My RM850 took a dive on me. There is a known bug on several batches of them that will randomly pop a capacitor and the fan will never work again which will overheat the PSU. I sent it back to Corsair for replacement and they didn't have any stock to send me one back. So a week later I called them to "complain" a little bit and said if you can't give me a replacement PSU can you please refund me on what it cost or send me another upgraded model. I lucked out and they are now sending me the HX850i model. One of their high-end models.

This applies to ALL RM series power supplies. Too bad Corsair is still shipping these knowing there is a problem. I'm thinking of stepping away from Corsair products just because of that.

It's been confirmed since last year that any RM series that's shipped out with a lot number below 1341 suffers from a defect of the fan not spinning resulting in the OTP tripping.
This has been confirmed by corsair rep themselves.
If you DO have one of these models, judging from the thread they're still shipping out the older ones, either return it to Amazon and roll the dice again or contact corsair and they will send you a newer model with a prepaid shipping label!
Please note this issue is generally caused by ppl with rigs that use less than 50% of the psu power.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
evga1300 has 4x1pcie + 2x2pcie
use 2x1pcie + 1x2pcie for 1 antminer s5 and it will be ok (1x2 pcie connect to 2 boards, one single pcie to first board and second single pcie to second board. Do not connect 1x2pcie to 1 board and 2 single pcie cables to second board)
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Go Big or Go Home.....

Activity: 68
Merit: 10
My internet connection (3G) was down for two days. I did not know it at the time. The miner was running 20C cooler with no internet connection.

Good for you!  I'm jealous. Smiley  

EDIT:  My S2 has been rock solid for over 7 months.  My S3's were great.  It's only my S5's that overheat with no internet or network connection.

Cool, thankies
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005

Activity: 635
Merit: 500
Its hard...  Engineers are always working to make it better and better.  S5 is the most stable miners even compared to S1.  Hopefully this tradition continues.

Make our tech support job easier, too!   Grin

Bitmain, can you start building unstable miners? My home mining setup is boring me with its stability.  Tongue

My S2 recently had 70 days uptime until a brief power outage made me restart it.

Things go well if support staff just drinking coffee and have some rest...

Grin
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
Its hard...  Engineers are always working to make it better and better.  S5 is the most stable miners even compared to S1.  Hopefully this tradition continues.

Make our tech support job easier, too!   Grin

Bitmain, can you start building unstable miners? My home mining setup is boring me with its stability.  Tongue

My S2 recently had 70 days uptime until a brief power outage made me restart it.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

LOL too funny.

I am making room to add to my little collection and get ready for warmer weather. No overclocking for me.
Activity: 362

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
https://eloncity.io
What is the best way to overheat the miner to check if it will shut down at 80C?
Blocking or unplugging the fan in my mind, could be voiding a warranty.  My test was to simply disconnect my internet - which is a real life occurrence (failed internet service).  It might take a few minutes for the current information to finish its hashing and start beeping, but it will.
Why would no internet connection cause it to overheat?

Oops... I made an assumption, that the way my S5's and Opentoe's are working, that will do it.  When there is no internet, there is no new information coming in to the miner to hash.  What at least the 2 of us have seen, is when it's not hashing, it heats up.  I would try that first, so that if you have any hardware failure from overheating, no internet access is a regular problem that should be planned for (the other options mentioned, are not normal operating conditions expected for the miners - just my opinion).

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com

Put something infront of the front fan?

disconnecting the fan, is probably easier

Stick it in a small closet with no ventilation.  It will slowly overheat itself.

Please don't try that method, the aim of your experiment is to get the chips toasty [if they are heating up], not oven bake the entire board. There are plenty of other components on the boards which require cooling, and will more than likely fail before the chips do.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
Woke up to this in my inbox:

BITMAIN Order Shipped

Grin
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
S5 is the most stable Antminer model. PSU wise, for home use, EVGA 1300W to power up 2 of the S5

590W average per miner at the wall.  Some may show just under 600W

how is s5 working? is it stable? what power supplies needed?           
Activity: 588
Merit: 253
how is s5 working? is it stable? what power supplies needed?           
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
When my pool is dead or when my internet connection is out with my S3+ all it does it beep and beep, it doesn't overheat past 80C.

Jump to: