Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 259. (Read 451048 times)

Activity: 471
Merit: 250
unless new tech comes out and doubles or tripples returns.

2015 will present new opportunities, but may have to wait until Q2 before they get released. Tipple return? Not likely.

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Just curious how many S5's you guys are running at home.  I miss mining- sold my S3's after 2 months.  The difficulty to power cost just seemed too far off.  Since you can just buy btc now for cheap.  But dammit I miss running my machines.

what does power cost you? at 15 cents a k-watt   or more and there is no good choice
$.09 kwh western Wa.  But even then I within a month was making nearly half the btc then the prior month.  I'm not concerned with the current price of btc but more over acumulating it in a cost effective manor.  Curse these huge farms.  Antminers are rock solid in my opinion just can't see much value in pud cost of mining unless new tech comes out and doubles or tripples returns.
Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....
Ug. Don't say that - I've disconnected it again now...... Tongue

I'm pretty sure it's the hash board, but I don't have a multimeter to do what you ask I'm afraid. I've disconnected & reconnected the cables so many times now I'm sure they're worn out..... Cheesy Seriously though, I've been messing with this for hours - I think we should either try the replacement hash board (with new cables?), or I can box it up for you if you send me a label.

Edit: Just read your post. Right, well if you think it could be a shared component fault - that's either the BBB or the controller board? I didn't try turning the BBB around - just made sure it was properly seated & there were no dry solders anywhere - it & the controller board seemed to visibly check out though. I can go over it all again if you want me to, but it won't be tonight I'm afraid, up early tomorrow & it's getting late. I'm also getting tired of looking at it tbh....... Cheesy

Have a think & let me know, I gotta eat..... Wink
Activity: 556
Merit: 500
for shipping durability test version to USA, this is the current screen shot

Best share = 0?
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
hummmm  Thank you for trying out!
I'll be back if I think other options...
OK - here it is connected to the RM1000 using four separate pcie connections - no difference. I then swapped the data cables over & tried again - the same board was still dead, so it looks like that's the problem eh?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/saJYdWy.jpg
so to check; have you tried flipping the BBB around and using the working ribbon cable from board one to attach board two AS board #1? this would eliminate any issues with the controller connections or the ribbon cable to the miner.

beyond that, if there are no visible faults on the bad board, a multimeter and some poking around for 0.8V (& 0.8v multiples) and 12V test points may identify whether the DC voltage isnt getting beyond or to a particular component. Seems strange that both chains on the board went together, i am wondering if there is a shared component fault
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
hummmm  Thank you for trying out!

I'll be back if I think other options...

OK - here it is connected to the RM1000 using four separate pcie connections - no difference. I then swapped the data cables over & tried again - the same board was still dead, so it looks like that's the problem eh?

take out and reseat the bbb board

take each blade cable out, one by one to identify if a board is bad

This was all done previously, but thanks anyway  Smiley

donator
for shipping durability test version to USA, this is the current screen shot

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
take out and reseat the bbb board

take each blade cable out, one by one to identify if a board is bad

LE: now i see your second picture and the 2nd blade full of xxxxxx

sorry!!! Smiley
OK - I have a Corsair RM 1000 I can connect it to.....

I'll be back shortly.
donator
Another test be power up all 4 PCI-E connectors or try 1000W PSU if you have one...

then swap the data cables between the hashing PCB.  see if the problem travel with the data cable or remain the same, dead chain 2

Cellphone camera photo are good!!!

Thank you

@patman....

1 favor!

Could you take a picture of how the PSU is connected?

and, do you want to be on the RMA list for 1 hash PCB?

I can do it on my phone if that's OK? Do you want the pic how it is now - with just the 2 pcie connections on the one good board? Or with the 4 connections on both boards?

If you're sure that it's the hash pcb that's the problem - then yes please, but it would be a bummer if you sent the hash board & it turns out to be something else - controller or whatever. Tell me if you want me to do more tests if you want to make sure  Wink
@patman....

1 favor!

I can do it on my phone if that's OK? Do you want the pic how it is now - with just the 2 pcie connections on the one good board? Or with the 4 connections on both boards?

If you're sure that it's the hash pcb that's the problem - then yes please, but it would be a bummer if you sent the hash board & it turns out to be something else - controller or whatever. Tell me if you want me to do more tests if you want to make sure  Wink

Edit: TBH, there's only one way to connect the pcie's isn't there? - 4 slots & 4 cables - the PSU is a single rail also.
donator
@patman....

1 favor!

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
will be too many...  Embarrassed

What? Half Duds? Complete Duds?

My SP 20E's are still running sweeeeeet  Wink

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

I'm glad to hear that. That's why I'm putting my name only for top quality hardware.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Still waiting on mine.  3 hours or less.

Don't forget about the unclean 12V.

Unclean 12v... ouch....

Torture chamber...  
Philip, please add to the OP list:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/review-spondoolies-sp20e-jackson-review-by-2good-903307

I understand that BMT offered you a free demo unit  Grin
It will become a tradition.

Suggestion for the review, use different PSUs, see if you can create "unclean" 12V.
Let's see how robust their string design is.

Thanks for all support nice to see the word legendary .

I have  a shit load of psu's.

I have some lower quality ones. I will see if I can cook up a wacky result.

Based on the s-3 design and the many I used tested upgraded the s-5 should be decent gear.
I have some preconceived pluses and minuses for the s-5 vs sp20E

It will be interesting to see If my imaginary ideas prove true.

philipma1957, I hope your low quality PSUs are ready. (My GB is still open...)

A) I have too many sp20e's  7 in my house 1 at another house and two from the group buy.
B)  low quality test will be last not first

First one will be a seasonic 760 watt plat
1) Yes.

2) Different type of noise, slightly more squealy than the SP20 - but not quite as loud - if that makes any sense  Tongue

Then again, it never really ran for long enough to get up to full temp.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
UPDATE:  Aaaaaand it's dead...........

So a couple of stupid questions:

1.  Does your pool also so only the 500gh?

2.  When it was working at full, how was the sound? Loud/quiet?

RS--quit baiting.  SP has had issues too! :0  I have partaken in the GB, but for home mining, the SP is definitely not a 1.7t machine.

My SP 20E's are still running sweeeeeet  Wink

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Any more tests you want me to do before I disconnect it Bitmain?
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

Jump to: