Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 260. (Read 451048 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....
Unit connected with 2 pcie cables to the good hashing board as requested:

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
Still waiting on mine.  3 hours or less.

Don't forget about the unclean 12V.

Unclean 12v... ouch....

Torture chamber...  
Philip, please add to the OP list:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/review-spondoolies-sp20e-jackson-review-by-2good-903307

I understand that BMT offered you a free demo unit  Grin
It will become a tradition.

Suggestion for the review, use different PSUs, see if you can create "unclean" 12V.
Let's see how robust their string design is.

Thanks for all support nice to see the word legendary .

I have  a shit load of psu's.

I have some lower quality ones. I will see if I can cook up a wacky result.

Based on the s-3 design and the many I used tested upgraded the s-5 should be decent gear.
I have some preconceived pluses and minuses for the s-5 vs sp20E

It will be interesting to see If my imaginary ideas prove true.

philipma1957, I hope your low quality PSUs are ready. (My GB is still open...)
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
Could you please power it off, physically disconnect the PCI-E plug from the non-hashing PCB and plug it back in, then power it back on?

will be too many...  Embarrassed

UPDATE:  Aaaaaand it's dead...........

Lordy lordy. How many apologies is that you owe me now?  Cheesy Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
my S5 demo unit missed its delivery today - hopefully this evening or tomorrow morning it will be in my hands and photos + stats will abound.

seems odd to get half-speed. try disconnecting the data cable to the secondary board and see what happens. Its possible that there could even be one dead chain per board.

ps: Bitmain recently mentioned something about the unit stepping up the power gradually once the unit is booted. perhaps it did this and at about th 10min mark went a step too far?
UPDATE:  Aaaaaand it's dead...........

Lordy lordy. How many apologies is that you owe me now?  Cheesy Cheesy
donator
@patman....

I may have to send you a T-shirt...  

and a picture of the lotto ticket.  You might be lucky today, so if my ticket hits the jackpot, I may share!!
legendary
It is embarrassing the demo unit arrived half dead.

Since it's a demo unit, it was surely tested before shipping. Not a good sign at all...
donator
Im sorry to hear this...

lets see if we can figure out if it is a dud.  It is embarrassing the demo unit arrived half dead.

||            ||
================================================

PCI-E Rail 1    PCI-E rail 1

PCI-E rail 2    PCI-E rail 2
===============================================
              ||            ||

patman is a long time miner and he knows how to connect the PSU. Thats being said, lets try to find if fault is else where.  Hope it is something very simple

Tested the PSU - it's an OCZ 850W Gold & I'm using 4 x pcie connectors. It is now running 2 x OC'd S3's without a hitch........
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024
Tested the PSU - it's an OCZ 850W Gold & I'm using 4 x pcie connectors. It is now running 2 x OC'd S3's without a hitch........

Watch the heat of those cables and connectors. With overclocking and only using two cables per miner, the cables will most likely overheat and the plugs will melt.
legendary
EDIT: It did work for the first 10 minutes though....... Tongue

At least it worked for 10 minutes  Grin

1 PSU with 1 rail of 12v line connected to 1 side and another rail connected to the other side?

Please make sure, there is no cross over on PSU Line, between 1 side of the hash PCB and the other side.

Hope that is the cause...   Undecided Lips sealed

such is our luck....

*cough* string design *cough*

Consider yourself lucky it didn't explode like some AM Prisma 1.0.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Still waiting on mine.  3 hours or less.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant UC'd S3's.......force of habit  Tongue
donator
1 PSU with 1 rail of 12v line connected to 1 side and another rail connected to the other side?

Please make sure, there is no cross over on PSU Line, between 1 side of the hash PCB and the other side.

Hope that is the cause...   Undecided Lips sealed

such is our luck....

Hello Bitmain: - Do I get any prizes for having the first dud unit?:

Only one board hashing - the one that is showing the temp, nothing from the other board that shows zero. I've checked all connections, factory reset, reboots, all the usual stuff - no joy...... Angry

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

Only one board hashing - the one that is showing the temp, nothing from the other board that shows zero. I've checked all connections, factory reset, reboots, all the usual stuff - no joy...... Angry

It could be an issue of one hashing board not receiving enough power. Are you using split or single rails design PSU? Is it capable of providing the power the S5 demands for hashing at 1+ TH/s speeds? If split rail, some rails are stronger than other. Did you try swapping PCI-E cables to the other sides?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1080
^^ I hope this is not a sign to come. Please advise if you find a fix for the failed board... its odd because it appears that the chips are live as indicated by the "o"' instead of seeing ---- or xxx.

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Just curious how many S5's you guys are running at home.  I miss mining- sold my S3's after 2 months.  The difficulty to power cost just seemed too far off.  Since you can just buy btc now for cheap.  But dammit I miss running my machines.

what does power cost you? at 15 cents a k-watt   or more and there is no good choice
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
My s5 arrived this morning just as i was going out (wife and i at hotel for a couple of days) so i haven't had chance to unpack the box yet. I'll do as full a review as i can and set up some pictures for all your viewing pleasure when i get home on 31st.
Thanks Bitmain!

I am sitting typing this and watching sons of anarchy on netflix.  the miner is on the truck.  If I am lucky the show ends in 90 minutes and the miner comes right after it.

I'm very much looking forward to your review Phil.

Me too. Im thinking about replacing my S3's with these.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
Just curious how many S5's you guys are running at home.  I miss mining- sold my S3's after 2 months.  The difficulty to power cost just seemed too far off.  Since you can just buy btc now for cheap.  But dammit I miss running my machines.
I hear you, mining was fun back in the day. Not so much now Sad
Jump to: