Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 274. (Read 451048 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Also, now that bitmain have the new chip and have implemented the string design, I call upon bitmain to:
1. Provide an S3 / S1 upgrade kit to the S5
Why?
Just sell your S3 for $150-200 (current going price on eBay). Then pony up the additional $250-300 (assuming a new direct purchase from Bitmain) for a new S5 which is probably cheaper than the upgrade kit would be. After all, you could only re-use the cheapest parts of the assembly anyway, so not worth the effort.

You sell yours if you want. And believe it or not, I actually know what the price of an S5 is, and I am sure you do not do any pricing for bitmain products, so you wouldn't know whether it'd be more expensive.
All in all, thanks for nothing .... better still (and I am tiring of saying this in this thread), if you've got nothing to say, do not say it.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
What would you guys prefer, the S5 or the SP20?

if it must be very quiet as your single  biggest worry.  I would wait for me and the others that are getting the s-5 test units to report back. both the s-1 and s-3 can be made very quiet .  the sp20 at speed of 10 and down clocked is medium loud.

now if loud does not matter most likely the sp20 is better.

roi is a hard call for either one, but if your power is 12 cents and you can use the heat they make for this winter both have a shot at roi.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

Also, now that bitmain have the new chip and have implemented the string design, I call upon bitmain to:
Why?
Just sell your S3 for $150-200 (current going price on eBay). Then pony up the additional $250-300 (assuming a new direct purchase from Bitmain) for a new S5 which is probably cheaper than the upgrade kit would be. After all, you could only re-use the cheapest parts of the assembly anyway, so not worth the effort.
For the S3's there's no enough incentive to upgrade, but if the mounting is the same I'm sure there's a large number of S1s still out there that are getting close to scrap right now even with underclocking. Shipping on 20 chain boards should be considerably cheaper than 10 S5's, and there's got to be some decent savings in materials even with the volumes they get those heatsinks, fans and frames at.
Activity: 556

Why?
Activity: 518
I think the next logical step for bitmain is to work hand in had with the developers of cgminer so that we can be able to switch off individual chips (that may be malfunctioning) via the webUI. Seeing the chip count per board (which can be up to 256) has gone up to 30, just shy of the S1 count by 2, despite a reasonable leap in the tech, I think the time is ripe for this kind of developement. At the moment, cgminer (or more likely their obfuscated, closed source PIC fimware) decides when to stop sending work to a chip, but I do not think it is as efficient as can be.

2. Start offering for sale the components of the (soon to be EOL'd S3), i.e the hashing and controller boards.

Happy XMas everyone - bitmain included!
Activity: 131
Merit: 100
Hobby Miner
What would you guys prefer, the S5 or the SP20?
legendary
Activity: 1593
How do the S5 customers feel regarding the fact that BITMAIN is testing tons of miners on the live network right before shipping? I see a sharp rise in the difficulty right after the S5 announcement.
This is a pretty big leap in logic detective.  But let's assume they are "testing" before shipping.  As long as they ship when they say are going to (unlike BFL, KNC, etc), I have no problem with this.  I would rather they run it for a few days.  Fewer duds get shipped that way.
Activity: 744
Merit: 514
gotta let a coin be a coin
network diff is stagnant for a two months already +-1000 miners won't make much difference so this is not a problem.
btw bitmain whats your response to THIS ?

A small FYI: The requirement is 2 units minimum!

That's typical for them. I see you are doing the same with your deal: ***Legendary Holiday GroupBuy***: 2xSP20 for just $1,000 - free shipping
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
network diff is stagnant for a two months already +-1000 miners won't make much difference so this is not a problem.

A small FYI: The requirement is 2 units minimum!
Activity: 672
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
How do the S5 customers feel regarding the fact that BITMAIN is testing tons of miners on the live network right before shipping? I see a sharp rise in the difficulty right after the S5 announcement.

Where is that sharp rise? We are still in the middle of a cycle. If you're referring to 504 or 1008 block average, it's more likely that it's starting to reflect XPY miners coming back to BTC. Certainly not a FACT that Bitmain is testing, so I feel it's a dumb question.
legendary
whats the problem here? or do you prefer to receive DOA miner? i'm not

For me it's an obvious test that is longer than 24h. That's the problem. We all know that there were customers in the past that received units full of dust.

Also the fact that they are testing them on the live network is making your earnings go down. They could test them on test network so you wouldn't lose mining earning, but they aren't doing that.
Activity: 672
whats the problem here? or do you prefer to receive DOA miner? i'm not
legendary
And what are we going to do about it?

Well it is kinda true that you can't really do much about it, but it hurts my mining bits.

And who here wouldn't if they owned a mining equipment manufacturing company?

Well I don't want to start with the names because I know where will the discussion go and I don't want that.
Activity: 556
And what are we going to do about it?
And who here wouldn't if they owned a mining equipment manufacturing company?
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
Thanks folks.  I just wanted to make sure of what I was seeing.  Now I'll wait for both to arrive and see just how the sounds levels compare.  I was really hoping it would be a clear cut decision to purchase the S5 units, but it's not.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Where are you getting the pricing for the SP20?  Cheapest I can find is $633 each and that's if I buy their nano farm promotion.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/closed-sp20-most-efficient-miner-05wgh-2-units-min-903286

I confirmed this with SP and they are going to ship direct.

Sounds like the deal is over.  Was only for the first 200.  So back to what average noob home miner (like me) can expect, here's what I come up with.

S5   SP20
Cost (inc shp)     455       633
Hash Rate           1155     1700
Cost/Hash            0.39      0.37
Power                 590     1200

@1155 gh/s        455       430
24hr Pwr Cst       1.56   2.15
Pwr Savings        0.59   

Cost Difference      $25.00   

Code:
S5 SP20
Cost (inc shp) 455 500
Hash Rate 1155 1600
Cost/Hash 0.39 0.37
Power 590 1100

@1155 gh/s 455 361
24hr Pwr Cst 1.56 2.10
Pwr Savings 0.54

Cost Difference $94.00
# Days 174
Edited to get some better numbers. Very few people actually hit 1700, but running at a little under max volts and aiming for 1600 improves power consumption as well.
Of course, this is looking at getting two units of each. The numbers will start to favor the S5 more as you increase the number you buy since the per unit shipping cost will go down.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
Not trying to promote one over the other, but I think SP is still letting him collect more than 200 units.  So even at your numbers it's 42 days before it is a better deal.

Completely agree!  For me the S5 worked because I already had the power supply for it (and enough power in the location I need to put it).  Plus I'm planning to use the excess heat and I'm hoping it'll be much quieter than the SP20.

Happy holidays everyone!   Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
Where are you getting the pricing for the SP20?  Cheapest I can find is $633 each and that's if I buy their nano farm promotion.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/closed-sp20-most-efficient-miner-05wgh-2-units-min-903286

I confirmed this with SP and they are going to ship direct.

Sounds like the deal is over.  Was only for the first 200.  So back to what average noob home miner (like me) can expect, here's what I come up with.

S5     SP20
Cost (inc shp)     455       633
Hash Rate           1155     1700
Cost/Hash            0.39      0.37
Power                 590     1200

@1155 gh/s        455       430
24hr Pwr Cst       1.56   2.15
Pwr Savings        0.59   

Cost Difference      $25.00   

Not trying to promote one over the other, but I think SP is still letting him collect more than 200 units.  So even at your numbers it's 42 days before it is a better deal.

Truthfully, I'm hoping the S5 knocks it out of the park.  If it can be a quiet little miner that the wife won't notice, then it's worth the premium to me.
Jump to: