Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 277. (Read 451048 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
There have been Bitmain resellers in the EU since the S1, they all charged more than buying direct from Bitmain.

I think you joined the conversation late and did not take time to read and understand what I was saying .... as I was not arguing for a re-seller per se, but a bitmain EU presence for the reasons I stated.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
To argue that it takes longer to ship within the EU than it is from China to the EU is, in the light of day, as counter-intuitive as it is ignorant. All it takes is planning ahead.
It would take longer to ship from China to EU Reseller to Customer than from China direct to customer.
If you did not plan ahead, yes. But look at where we are at with the S5 right now. From what I glean from this thread, they have adequate capacity and have already commenced production. So if they shipped the batch destined for EU customers in bulk yesterday, they'd be at their re-seller by tomorow.

Now do you wish to argue it will take longer to ship within the EU on / before the 27th to the EU than it would be if they were shipped from China on / before the 27th ? It is a no brainer on all levels if you choose to look at it from the perspective that it deserves.

You can make up theoretical numbers all you want but it doesn't work out. Miners have to be sent via air which doesn't hold significant bulk discounts compared to a few units vs a pallet at a time. You've then got to pay EU to customer shipping again, AND more overheads, AND the lost mining revenue from the 2 day delay to get to the customer. If you really think its a good idea then you're more than free to open a UK shop and try and sell.
    • No matter if you bulk ship or ship individual items you still have to pay VAT to get items into the EU
    • Once in the EU you are legally obliged to sell those items with VAT on top so the customer still has to pay

You miss the point, VAT will be paid on import only if you are shipping within the EU, bitmain then simply compound this onto the selling price just like any VAT registered business. The whole idea was NOT to circumvent VAT.

• Cost of setting up the company in the EU is not unsubstantial
    • Staff costs WAY more expensive in EU than in China
    • Building, warehousing and storage costs WAY more expensive in EU than in China
    • Legal, insurance, accountants etc requirements of running business WAY more expensive than in China

I am not conversant with the volumes bitmain do, but my argument was that the savings that bitmain make on the shipping would cover these. Worst case scenario is they'd mark-up the product to bring it up to the same international price. And this argument of being a lot more expensive to do business in the EU than it is in China that you present here is flawed in the context you present it.

Best case scenario, you end up paying the same as you would buying it direct, a more likely one is that you would end up paying more.

No one is saying we should pay less (as on a personal level I'd like to see bitmain prosper), but I am convinced that their business is scalable to justify an EU operation to expedite shipment, amongst other benefits.
    legendary
    Activity: 3220
    Merit: 1220
    To argue that it takes longer to ship within the EU than it is from China to the EU is, in the light of day, as counter-intuitive as it is ignorant. All it takes is planning ahead.
    It would take longer to ship from China to EU Reseller to Customer than from China direct to customer.
    If you did not plan ahead, yes. But look at where we are at with the S5 right now. From what I glean from this thread, they have adequate capacity and have already commenced production. So if they shipped the batch destined for EU customers in bulk yesterday, they'd be at their re-seller by tomorow.

Now do you wish to argue it will take longer to ship within the EU on / before the 27th to the EU than it would be if they were shipped from China on / before the 27th ? It is a no brainer on all levels if you choose to look at it from the perspective that it deserves.

There have been Bitmain resellers in the EU since the S1, they all charged more than buying direct from Bitmain.
    legendary
    Activity: 2030
    Merit: 1076
    BTCLife.global participant
    What do you mean by S3 upgrades, like the S1/S3 upgrade kits?
    yes

Maybe, will look into it. I think the problem will be that the S3 is perfectly viable so no one will be turning them off for a while.

And what about upgrade kits for S2 with these new chips?

legendary
    why not get a UK seller and have them come over with equipment and then resell etc or come over with van loads of equipment set up shop in UK job done and can get more customers and be happy.

Because its much slower than sending directly to customers, more expensive than sending directly to customers, increases stock holding (unless you want premining) and generally doesn't help.

Exactly, I don't see why people think that the UK seller won't have to pay all those fees to get the stock into the country in the first place, and then pass them on to the customer with an additional markup.

You can not see the argument because you / your arguments are narrow-minded.
    If bitmain decided to hold stock in the UK (even EU), they'd DEFINITELY get a better per unit shipping rate (when they ship in bulk to the EU) which can constitute their mark-up to cover their overheads; I argue that it would be enough to even book a real profit NOTWITHSTANDING that the actual price to the customer will not be increased.

It is up to bitmain to identify their best "locality" in Europe (UK, Germany, France etc) such that postage in that "locality" will be even lower than the other outer reaches of the EC. They'd be a tax collecting point and effectively reduce the time it takes their customers to get their orders.

By the way, the same argument could hold true for the Americas, but I will not argue their case for them.

You are naive if you think this.

Its actually likely that it would take longer getting stock to customers this way and would also end up costing more to customers.

Factors that would affect this:

• No matter if you bulk ship or ship individual items you still have to pay VAT to get items into the EU
    • Once in the EU you are legally obliged to sell those items with VAT on top so the customer still has to pay
    • Cost of setting up the company in the EU is not unsubstantial
    • Staff costs WAY more expensive in EU than in China
    • Building, warehousing and storage costs WAY more expensive in EU than in China
    • Legal, insurance, accountants etc requirements of running business WAY more expensive than in China

And that's just off the top of my head.

Best case scenario, you end up paying the same as you would buying it direct, a more likely one is that you would end up paying more.
    Activity: 556
    Activity: 112
    Merit: 10
    Still no answer on this one

BITMAIN, how often do you update the bitcoin/usd price on your site? current price is 334-335, and your ticker is stuck at 328. for a large order, that makes a hefty difference. i placed an order, and i didn't realize your bitcoin price ticker was not being updated...  Huh Huh Undecided

Checking.

Fixed when engineer woke up this morning  Smiley
    why not get a UK seller and have them come over with equipment and then resell etc or come over with van loads of equipment set up shop in UK job done and can get more customers and be happy.

Because its much slower than sending directly to customers, more expensive than sending directly to customers, increases stock holding (unless you want premining) and generally doesn't help.

Exactly, I don't see why people think that the UK seller won't have to pay all those fees to get the stock into the country in the first place, and then pass them on to the customer with an additional markup.

You can not see the argument because you / your arguments are narrow-minded.
    If bitmain decided to hold stock in the UK (even EU), they'd DEFINITELY get a better per unit shipping rate (when they ship in bulk to the EU) which can constitute their mark-up to cover their overheads; I argue that it would be enough to even book a real profit NOTWITHSTANDING that the actual price to the customer will not be increased.

It is up to bitmain to identify their best "locality" in Europe (UK, Germany, France etc) such that postage in that "locality" will be even lower than the other outer reaches of the EC. They'd be a tax collecting point and effectively reduce the time it takes their customers to get their orders.

By the way, the same argument could hold true for the Americas, but I will not argue their case for them.
    donator
    Activity: 792
    Merit: 510
    If you are in the expensive shipping zone or high import tax or VAT zone and seeking bulk S5 purchase, please contact [email protected] for discounted hosting option.

legendary

legendary
    dogiecoin.com

legendary
    dogiecoin.com
    Dogie,

Is bitmain coming out with S3 upgrades?

yes

Maybe, will look into it. I think the problem will be that the S3 is perfectly viable so no one will be turning them off for a while.
    legendary
    dogiecoin.com
    In other news, EMS is back!

It is ..... but somehow beaten on price by UPS! Bitmain should add the words (Preffered Courier) next to UPS as it seems they get to better any price offered by anyone else. I mean, how can they be cheaper than EMS who take 5 - 7 days to deliver as opposed to 3 - 5 for UPS, though understandable for DHL's 2 - 3 days?

No idea, I guess that's just their tariff rates. It might not be the slowest EMS service.
    legendary
    Activity: 3654
    Merit: 8909
    https://bpip.org
    Will those who opted for L1 refunds in full bitcoin receive them soon? Will place an order if I get the refund.

If you're ordering S5s from L1 refunds, why don't you choose option 3 and have the value refunded in a greater value S5 coupon?

Doesn't work that way. I'm still waiting for L1 coupons. It's not rocket surgery, they should process all pending coupons before putting any more batches on sale, otherwise it's starting to smell of bait&switch. I should have taken my refund and my business to raskul's signature  Grin

I'll see if I can hurry along the coupons, although I'm sure I have yours swapped out for BTC if that's what you want?

Nah, if you can hurry them up I'll stick with the coupons, want to try the S5 anyway. Thanks!
    legendary
    Activity: 1274
    Merit: 1004
    Is the heatsink hole spacing compatible between the S1/S3 and the S5? If so, there are probably still a bunch of S1s sitting around that could be upgraded for a (relatively) low cost.
    In other news, EMS is back!

It is ..... but somehow beaten on price by UPS! Bitmain should add the words (Preffered Courier) next to UPS as it seems they get to better any price offered by anyone else. I mean, how can they be cheaper than EMS who take 5 - 7 days to deliver as opposed to 3 - 5 for UPS, though understandable for DHL's 2 - 3 days?
    legendary
    Activity: 1358
    Merit: 1002
    Dogie,

Is bitmain coming out with S3 upgrades?

yes
    legendary
    Activity: 1820
    Merit: 1001
    We would love to cater you in UK for cheaper, too, however, we have to respect each country's law in regards to import tax and VAT.  Unfortunately, we are not big enough to move that big rock to say, please waive the import tax or VAT on our products.

Would be nice if units could be sold by UK reseller and gets stock in cheap and no Import duties as would like to buy some of these S5 however would kill me on import duties and tax.

Well last time I got shipped out they where marked as miscellaneous computer parts and I had to pay about £20 to £30 at most and was happy. Another order that come though different date and also marked up different was import tax for aprox £115 per unit so I highly doubt I will do again unless prices are cheap for units and are a lot less on import otherwise will never make or even worth getting hold of.

Jump to: