Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 315. (Read 527809 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
How do we take advantage of this?
They'll give more info later on, for now concentrating on shipping things.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
I can tell you when I managed to get my shit numbers  my pcie cords measure 11.69 volts .

when I unplugged and  replugged every connector and used nine  2 plug  cords did the soft reboot after the hard reboot my cords went to 11.96 volts vs 11.69 volts

my errors dropped to 0.015x   vs 0.11xx   and hash went to above 4800 with power used at 1200 watts.  

So I really think you absolutely must know that your pcie cables are over 11.9  and not under 11.7 when under full load to be sure it is bitmaintech's fault.

I have been able to duplicate good hash at 11.9 or more volts after soft boot everytime
I have been able to  get bad hash at 11.69 volts every time.

It is late and I am tired and showing on one machine is not good enough.

I am getting a batch two machine soon I will test it and see if I can manage to get it to do proper hashing with proper volts.

or if it fails to hash correctly with say 12.01 volts at the board and after a soft boot.  I can use this psu

https://www.trcelectronics.com/ecomm/pdf/hrp600.pdf

run 1 board and be sure of  power to the  boards.  I can even go to 12.5 volts at load to see if it does proper hash

I truly suspect that this issue is a:

voltage problem and a soft reboot  problem blending into lower then normal hash.

For anyone running with Server PSU's would be well worth connecting the sense wires up to the PCIE socket to ensure that there is 12V actually at the hash board. Makes you wonder if they would be better with say 12.5V?

Rich
Activity: 11
Merit: 0

Dear loyal customers,

We're sorry to inform you that we didn't make the shipment of some orders today as promised. When we did the last spot check, we found some issues which cannot be delivered to you directly, engineers are working on it now and shipment should be arranged before end of next week.

Due to this trouble, we'd like to offer you the compensation following 97.5%*PPS payment according to the total hash rate of miners in order, starting from Oct. 11 Hong Kong Time, till the real shipping out date(which is not included), with electricity cost deducted at the price of $0.098/KWH.

The accounting unit is Bitcoin in the calculating, while USD is considered as a foreign currency. The day to day exchange rate will be get from Bitstamp daily average.

The final payment will be after we have collected your payment address, and we will inform you the way to confirm your receiving address with us.

After collect all the necessary info, we'll process the refund by batches, please wait for update patiently.

Apologize again!

How do we take advantage of this?
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Just throw a reminder here to power the control board after the hash boards are up if possible.
The bitmain wording was recently changed to something more along the lines of apply power to the power supply feeding the hash boards first, and then the control board.

Many have suggested this has to do with the issues people are seeing with low hashrates.

Personally, I follow their instructions to the letter, and even to the point of using a different power supply to power my control board on my S5+ so there is no doubt about my hash boards being powered first. I am not wasting the leftover power on the power supply I use on the control board, as I am also powering a couple of S5s from it was well.

To comment on the low hash people are experiencing where the soft boot seems to pickup, I have this exact same experience with some S3s where it is truly exaggerated behaviour. Literally a hard boot shows a hash rate of a few ghs, where a soft restart allows them to operate correctly. I have seen some of the same but not as bad behaviour with my S4s, and once I knew what to look for I see it with the S5 as well. I have no doubt there is an issue across the board which causes this scenario, but as for it being tied to when the control board is powered on, I cannot say. Whether this has to do with the S7 as well I cannot say as mine is late.

Good luck to you!

Have ONE s7.
I'm running it on one bitmain 1600 watt psu.
I'm going to try using two corsair rm1000 psu's with one on two hashboards and the other on one hashboard and the controller.
I'm going to fire up the controller psu first and then the 2 hashboard psu and see what it does.
Then I will do a soft reboot and see what THAT does.

Ok here we go.
I have a batch one running 575 as shipped.
Has been 4600 for days (5 or so)

Power on corsair with controller and one hashboard.
Wait 5 seconds
Power on corsair with two hashboards.
After 15 minutes 4600

Soft reboot
After 15 minutes 4600

I don't understand the hashboard first thing.
Maybe 15 or 30 second delay between power on?

I think there are two separate things being discussed.

1. There is an issue with the S7s where they will not hash higher than 4600 ish. It has been suggested that slightly low input power may cause this. I recommend checking your input load at the psu connection at the miner. If you are handy with a meter you may have meter leads with needle points and you may get in the back side of the connector, or, if you have a single going to a Y cable connecting to the miner, measure the unused end on the Y connector. Phillip shows pictures of this in a couple of threads and he has presented this theory regarding the voltage.

2. Phillip also brought up the fact that a soft restart may help this issue, and I believe it has for one or two people with the S7. I was commenting in this thread to the other gentleman that I have seen this issue with S3s where it is pronounced. IT is usually the worst if I have a quick power outage, just long enough for the miner to know it was off for a second. on some of the S3s it literally shows 3 or 4 ghs for the main average, not the 5s average, it usually shows a normal number for the 5s. I do a soft restart and it begins working correctly. I saw some of this with my S4s, but not the literal 4 or 4 GHS on hard boot, just poor performance until I performed a soft boot. The same with some S5s. I cannot say on the S7 as I am waiting.

3. Then of course the power on the hash boards before the controller. This is an instruction bitmain began passing with the S5+ and has now continued with the S7, but unfortunately we have been unable to get any clear indication from bitmain as to why so we understand their intent. In the latest statement I read, I cannot remember if it was their website or the S7 manual, but whichever states to the effect of if using multiple power supplies power on the hash board power supply first and then the power supply for the controller. The way it is worded it It didn't seem to be an issue if you happen to be powering hash boards and controller if it happens to be on one power supply, but if it is separate power on the controler last. I am sure their engineering team have a good reason for this, but because we have experienced issues with translation along with the fact bitmain has a poor record of communication we are left to theorize and try to interpret what they mean by these things.    

I know my input power is strong to the power supplies, and to the miners, and I have no issues with #2 because I began seeing that issue with my first S3 purchases and have been soft start everything after a hard start anyway. Hell I like to be up close with my miners after I boot them. I have shortcuts setup to get me there quickly so I can look at everything. I'm a bit anal like that so it works.

I think your main point here would be to check what Phillipma mentioned regarding power at the pci connector to the miner.

Feel free to PM if I can help in any way.

I can tell you when I managed to get my shit numbers  my pcie cords measure 11.69 volts .

when I unplugged and  replugged every connector and used nine  2 plug  cords did the soft reboot after the hard reboot my cords went to 11.96 volts vs 11.69 volts

my errors dropped to 0.015x   vs 0.11xx   and hash went to above 4800 with power used at 1200 watts.  

So I really think you absolutely must know that your pcie cables are over 11.9  and not under 11.7 when under full load to be sure it is bitmaintech's fault.

I have been able to duplicate good hash at 11.9 or more volts after soft boot everytime
I have been able to  get bad hash at 11.69 volts every time.

It is late and I am tired and showing on one machine is not good enough.

I am getting a batch two machine soon I will test it and see if I can manage to get it to do proper hashing with proper volts.

or if it fails to hash correctly with say 12.01 volts at the board and after a soft boot.  I can use this psu

https://www.trcelectronics.com/ecomm/pdf/hrp600.pdf

run 1 board and be sure of  power to the  boards.  I can even go to 12.5 volts at load to see if it does proper hash

I truly suspect that this issue is a:

voltage problem and a soft reboot  problem blending into lower then normal hash.
Activity: 835
Merit: 1000
There is NO Freedom without Privacy
I am getting blank page from bitmain.com last few hours.  Is it just me?

Working now....

You can use this site to check if a website is down
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
Activity: 700
Merit: 501
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg
Just throw a reminder here to power the control board after the hash boards are up if possible.
The bitmain wording was recently changed to something more along the lines of apply power to the power supply feeding the hash boards first, and then the control board.

Many have suggested this has to do with the issues people are seeing with low hashrates.

Personally, I follow their instructions to the letter, and even to the point of using a different power supply to power my control board on my S5+ so there is no doubt about my hash boards being powered first. I am not wasting the leftover power on the power supply I use on the control board, as I am also powering a couple of S5s from it was well.

To comment on the low hash people are experiencing where the soft boot seems to pickup, I have this exact same experience with some S3s where it is truly exaggerated behaviour. Literally a hard boot shows a hash rate of a few ghs, where a soft restart allows them to operate correctly. I have seen some of the same but not as bad behaviour with my S4s, and once I knew what to look for I see it with the S5 as well. I have no doubt there is an issue across the board which causes this scenario, but as for it being tied to when the control board is powered on, I cannot say. Whether this has to do with the S7 as well I cannot say as mine is late.

Good luck to you!

Have ONE s7.
I'm going to try using two corsair rm1000 psu's with one on two hashboards and the other on one hashboard and the controller.
I'm going to fire up the controller psu first and then the 2 hashboard psu and see what it does.

Ok here we go.

Wait 5 seconds
After 15 minutes 4600

Soft reboot
After 15 minutes 4600

I think there are two separate things being discussed.

1. There is an issue with the S7s where they will not hash higher than 4600 ish. It has been suggested that slightly low input power may cause this. I recommend checking your input load at the psu connection at the miner. If you are handy with a meter you may have meter leads with needle points and you may get in the back side of the connector, or, if you have a single going to a Y cable connecting to the miner, measure the unused end on the Y connector. Phillip shows pictures of this in a couple of threads and he has presented this theory regarding the voltage.

2. Phillip also brought up the fact that a soft restart may help this issue, and I believe it has for one or two people with the S7. I was commenting in this thread to the other gentleman that I have seen this issue with S3s where it is pronounced. IT is usually the worst if I have a quick power outage, just long enough for the miner to know it was off for a second. on some of the S3s it literally shows 3 or 4 ghs for the main average, not the 5s average, it usually shows a normal number for the 5s. I do a soft restart and it begins working correctly. I saw some of this with my S4s, but not the literal 4 or 4 GHS on hard boot, just poor performance until I performed a soft boot. The same with some S5s. I cannot say on the S7 as I am waiting.

3. Then of course the power on the hash boards before the controller. This is an instruction bitmain began passing with the S5+ and has now continued with the S7, but unfortunately we have been unable to get any clear indication from bitmain as to why so we understand their intent. In the latest statement I read, I cannot remember if it was their website or the S7 manual, but whichever states to the effect of if using multiple power supplies power on the hash board power supply first and then the power supply for the controller. The way it is worded it It didn't seem to be an issue if you happen to be powering hash boards and controller if it happens to be on one power supply, but if it is separate power on the controler last. I am sure their engineering team have a good reason for this, but because we have experienced issues with translation along with the fact bitmain has a poor record of communication we are left to theorize and try to interpret what they mean by these things.    

I know my input power is strong to the power supplies, and to the miners, and I have no issues with #2 because I began seeing that issue with my first S3 purchases and have been soft start everything after a hard start anyway. Hell I like to be up close with my miners after I boot them. I have shortcuts setup to get me there quickly so I can look at everything. I'm a bit anal like that so it works.

I think your main point here would be to check what Phillipma mentioned regarding power at the pci connector to the miner.

Feel free to PM if I can help in any way.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
if you don't plug all 3 plugs per board, you void your warranty. I have no idea how they could possibly know that, but better safe than sorry.

Two burnt sockets, one not.  Smiley

Rich

Haha. Tongue I Don't think burnt socket is a high rate of RMA seen in diagnostic, compared to all the other points of failures, but yes its not worth it even though there is a very little chance for proper connector to burn at 170watts per connectors.
legendary
Activity: 1456
if you don't plug all 3 plugs per board, you void your warranty. I have no idea how they could possibly know that, but better safe than sorry.

Rich

Exactly or the board if they look at traces on it they likely can tell I'm guessing.   Sure some would sneak through.  But I have a feeling that a good amount that try this if they have a disaster within warranty will get caught.

They are very very pushy on it just use 3 per.  Better safe then risk a 1.5k machine over saving a few bucks (or even 50 bucks).
Activity: 770
Merit: 523
legendary
Activity: 1456

Good luck to you!

Have ONE s7.

Ok here we go.

Wait 5 seconds
After 15 minutes 4600

Soft reboot
After 15 minutes 4600

The hashboard thing they have started since S5+'s.   They make sure to warn you about it.   I was really scared at first thinking of if miner loses power, etc.

But my S5+ has handled a power outage and turned on all at once without issue.  It's just happened one time but was no damage.    So it's probley being to safe.  But I will still follow it as I feel there has to be a reason for it.

Good luck to you!

Have ONE s7.

Ok here we go.

Wait 5 seconds
After 15 minutes 4600

Soft reboot
After 15 minutes 4600

Good luck to you!

Have ONE s7.

No no!
Power hash boards first, and then controller! <- This is what bitmain states
Personally, I then do a soft reboot on every bitmain miner after the hard boot completes.

Good luck to you!

Have ONE s7.

Good luck to you!
Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Rich
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
Would this work for the S7?
How many VGA cords would I be short on, and would there be a way to fix that?
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=120-G2-1600-X1

this has nine pcie cords some are 2x headed plug all into the 3 boards  leave the 2 headed pcie cords  ½ empty just use 1 head.

the empty heads are great to show you full load volt measurements

this is easy to fix  use 1 sata to pcie adapter   and plug it into the controller

http://www.amazon.com/Branded-8inch-15pin-Express-Power/dp/B005NJXY7O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444581473&sr=8-2&keywords=sata+to+pcie

Thanks so much, the S7 needs 10 pcie 6 pin plugs correct?

At 400watt per boards, 2 plugs per boards would be logically safe, but with 3 per boards you further increase the safety margin. It would be good to keep in mind that, if you don't plug all 3 plugs per board, you void your warranty. I have no idea how they could possibly know that, but better safe than sorry.

TLDR: Yes 10 PCI-e 6 pin plugs.
Activity: 979
Merit: 510
Would this work for the S7?
How many VGA cords would I be short on, and would there be a way to fix that?
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=120-G2-1600-X1

this has nine pcie cords some are 2x headed plug all into the 3 boards  leave the 2 headed pcie cords  ½ empty just use 1 head.

the empty heads are great to show you full load volt measurements

this is easy to fix  use 1 sata to pcie adapter   and plug it into the controller

http://www.amazon.com/Branded-8inch-15pin-Express-Power/dp/B005NJXY7O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444581473&sr=8-2&keywords=sata+to+pcie

Thanks so much, the S7 needs 10 pcie 6 pin plugs correct?
Jump to: