Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 333. (Read 527809 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

I noticed a separate part of this, both miners were added around the same date and are both shipped on exactly the same date. (Assumeably not a coincidence!). I also noticed that the previous s7 was 8.something btc and the new one is 7.01 btc! WHY THE DIFFERENCE FOR THE SAME ENERGY.

I SEE THEY ARE ALSO STILL SELLING THE POWER SUPPLY SEPARATELY (why are they doing this).

If you look closely at the Batch 2 vs. the Batch 3, they are NOT the same - which is why one is a little lower as it's also a little lower hashrate.

They tend to adjust prices for a lot of factors, right now it seems they're actually paying a LITTLE attention to those of us that are NOT buying S7s due to RoI concerns.

They sell the miner seperate from the power supply because quite a few of us don't WANT to be stuck with a 220-only power supply (pretty sad design IMO, there is no sensible reason why they couldn't have designed the PS to handle 100-240 like MOST modern power supplies in the 1600 watt and under range), or prefer other power supplies WITH A BETTER TRACK RECORD OF RELIABILITY or lower cost than theirs (based on what I've read about that APW1600 thing, I have ZERO interest in it).
alh
legendary
Activity: 1846
Merit: 1052
Whether it's custom firmware or not, does the S7 Beagle-Bone have an SD card slot? Does Bitmain have an S7 "Rescue Firmware" image available yet? Not pressing for me, but some folks might be interested.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Was it Bitmain that released the cgminer extra-nonce update, or Kano?

On the bitmain firmware's I believe it was custom by smit1237.  It was done for nicehash.   Just not a lot use that update, so for most part I think it's considered not need.

To get best results the S7 would most likely need a custom firmware.  And honestly I'm not sure I would risk a S7 with custom firmware.  Just currently a lot of money of gear if something goes bad.   I am kinda chicken on it though I only used the custom firmwares on ones that had SD cards and were easy to fix.  Although I never did have an issue.
alh
legendary
Activity: 1846
Merit: 1052
Was it Bitmain that released the cgminer extra-nonce update, or Kano?
Activity: 700
Merit: 501
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg
Was looking at the link I put up earlier of nine s7 miners running on nicehash USA .
The miners were run for 24 hours and they steadily lost hashrate over the 24 hours before they were
.pulled. Speed now about 73ths.
Does not look encouraging 
S5's and s4's look nice and steady which are the miners still running.

They are not designed to work with nicehash like regular stratum pools.  Read about it here - https://www.nicehash.com/index.jsp?p=software#devs

Some miners have custom firmware that allows the "fix for stratum extranonce bug".  But not all software of cgminer you pretty much  don't need it unless you are at nicehash.

But try them on a regular pool, instead of nicehash and I think your hashing will be more steady.

Any word on when they will release the firmware for it?
I guess they could be waiting like most of us and they don't have one to test on.

But, as far as I remember I installed the extra nonce firmware on my S3 and S4 and never had an issue.
I do not sell my hash often but haven't noticed any issues since adding the xnsub firmware.  
However, I've moved those up to Kano now.

They will do anything possible to bust out some firmware though right? It hurts them if they don't.
Activity: 770
Merit: 523
Have one just shipped
Balance will be shipped from China October 9 or 12
Just got email about it
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
I keep getting the following message in the kernal, and hashrate drops to 0.  I am confident in my PSUs, i have many to test with, and volts are all good.

[   45.463504] ch2-as37: dev->task_buffer_wr{0x000013a0}rd{0x00000066}ret work_id{0x8000} don't match task_buffer_match{0x0000}
[   45.475311] ch5-as39: dev->task_buffer_wr{0x000013a0}rd{0x00000066}ret work_id{0x8000} don't match task_buffer_match{0x0000}
[   45.487125] ch2-as37: dev->task_buffer_wr{0x000013a0}rd{0x00000066}ret work_id{0x8000} don't match task_buffer_match{0x0000}
[   45.498937] ch5-as39: dev->task_buffer_wr{0x000013a0}rd{0x00000066}ret work_id{0x8000} don't match task_buffer_match{0x0000}
I have a pile of s5's and have been running on nicehash for 6 months.
Very steady for me. All bitmain miners come with extranonce software now.
I'm getting a pile of s7's now when they ship.
Will be able to see what the performance is then.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Was looking at the link I put up earlier of nine s7 miners running on nicehash USA .
The miners were run for 24 hours and they steadily lost hashrate over the 24 hours before they were

They are not designed to work with nicehash like regular stratum pools.  Read about it here - https://www.nicehash.com/index.jsp?p=software#devs

Some miners have custom firmware that allows the "fix for stratum extranonce bug".  But not all software of cgminer you pretty much  don't need it unless you are at nicehash.

But try them on a regular pool, instead of nicehash and I think your hashing will be more steady.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
I wonder what kind of testing bitmain does to check if a miner should be a batch 2 miner or a batch 3 miner.  Sometimes you need hours of testing to see how stable a miner is at a certain frequency or were these batch 2 miners manufactured with a certain flaw that has been fixed with what they call batch 3?

You being serious? They have a week holiday burning them in to see the rejects.

Ufo
legendary
Activity: 1096
Merit: 1021
We don't know / Bitmain have not told us the reason for Batch 2 being 575Mhz, 4660GH/S. However we do know that there is always a variance in Miners with some being better at overclocking than others. So best guess is that when they got into production it was found that the HW error rate for some units was unacceptable at 600MHz and this was the easiest solution. Very similar to the S3 when that came out?

Whether they will now make some changes in order to secure 600MHz for all units, or if there will continue to be a selection we will have to wait & see?

What I would add is that according to the BM1385 data Sheet with a core voltage of 0.66V, which only needs an 11.9V supply the expected Hash Rate / Chip should be 32.5GH/S which for a complete S7 would give 5265GH/S. So even prior to this they had already chosen to be quite conservative with the spec of 4860GH/S

Rich

I wonder what kind of testing bitmain does to check if a miner should be a batch 2 miner or a batch 3 miner.  Sometimes you need hours of testing to see how stable a miner is at a certain frequency or were these batch 2 miners manufactured with a certain flaw that has been fixed with what they call batch 3?
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Hello my friends.
Im new in mining and im waiing for my S7. I did my own math and since i've got free electricity (i'm lucky... i know) the business is good.

One doubt about the S7 Fans, anyone has the specs?
Im thinking in changing the fans for example NOCTUA NF-F12 PWM 120mm Focused Flow PWM Cooling Fan.
Do you think is good idea?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Why the desire to replace the fans? If you expect to reduce noise by simply putting in a quieter fan, plan on substantially reducing the hash rate as well. Bitmain didn't put LOUD fans in on a whim. It takes serious airflow to cool a 1200W heater (i.e. the S7). The fans Bitmain chose push a lot of air, with enough pressure to get it through the dense heatsinks inside the enclosure.

I'm running my S7 @ stock speed @ 2500rpm fans @ 30C ambient without issue. Its not inconceivable that one might be able to do the same after replacing fans given a lower ambient. Also worth remembering that both the ASICMiner Tube and Prisma cooled ~1KW through a longer heatsink using a single fan. And in the case of the ASICMiner Tube it was possible to replace the fan with 2x Corsair SP120s which are quite a way under the NF-F12s.

interesting...what is % setting and its boards temp? thanks

what temp is the room.

he said it is 30c ambient, which i assume is the room temp.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Hello my friends.
Im new in mining and im waiing for my S7. I did my own math and since i've got free electricity (i'm lucky... i know) the business is good.

Im thinking in changing the fans for example NOCTUA NF-F12 PWM 120mm Focused Flow PWM Cooling Fan.

Why the desire to replace the fans? If you expect to reduce noise by simply putting in a quieter fan, plan on substantially reducing the hash rate as well. Bitmain didn't put LOUD fans in on a whim. It takes serious airflow to cool a 1200W heater (i.e. the S7). The fans Bitmain chose push a lot of air, with enough pressure to get it through the dense heatsinks inside the enclosure.

I'm running my S7 @ stock speed @ 2500rpm fans @ 30C ambient without issue. Its not inconceivable that one might be able to do the same after replacing fans given a lower ambient. Also worth remembering that both the ASICMiner Tube and Prisma cooled ~1KW through a longer heatsink using a single fan. And in the case of the ASICMiner Tube it was possible to replace the fan with 2x Corsair SP120s which are quite a way under the NF-F12s.

what temp is the room.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Hello my friends.

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Hello my friends.

Each hash board should run 1.6ths, they can be run separately.
If two run at 1.6 and one runs at 1.4 then you have a 4.6ths miner.
You can run each board separately by popping the cables off the other two
 .to see which boards are fast/slow.
Then three fast boards can be placed into one miner.

New runs of chips usually have unforeseen issues.

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
We don't know / Bitmain have not told us the reason for Batch 2 being 575Mhz, 4660GH/S. However we do know that there is always a variance in Miners with some being better at overclocking than others. So best guess is that when they got into production it was found that the HW error rate for some units was unacceptable at 600MHz and this was the easiest solution. Very similar to the S3 when that came out?

Whether they will now make some changes in order to secure 600MHz for all units, or if there will continue to be a selection we will have to wait & see?

What I would add is that according to the BM1385 data Sheet with a core voltage of 0.66V, which only needs an 11.9V supply the expected Hash Rate / Chip should be 32.5GH/S which for a complete S7 would give 5265GH/S. So even prior to this they had already chosen to be quite conservative with the spec of 4860GH/S

Rich
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
Sorry maybe I missed it, but why batch 2 and 3 have different speed ?
Is this means batch 3 has good chips while bad chip put it in batch 2 ?

Yes I know the different clock speed between 575 and 600, but WHY batch 2 can not goes to 600 while it has the SAME chips Huh
Is this means batch 2 not stable to go to 600 ?

Seems QC drop another stage(s)...
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002
Technically, if someone could turn the antminer s7 into a cmputer, what would the clock speed in hz be?
I assume it would be high!

Technically, if the chip operates at 600mhz ... it would be like a 600mhz computer (clock cycles strictly speaking).

If you want to know computational power... thats extremely EXTREMELY difficult, if not impossible, to quantify.
Its like comparing a grenade to a sniper rifle....
Jump to: