Pages:
Author

Topic: [Archive] BFL trolling museum - page 30. (Read 69365 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
January 14, 2013, 05:20:40 PM
No there won't..... Most of them will still stick to BFL cause they believe (like really religious "batshitcrazy" people) that their holy savior ASIC will arrive soon. Even if there is another delay Smiley

It's not as if they can "take their business elsewhere" at this point anyway.  No-one in their right might would place an order with bASIC.  ASICMiner isn't going to be selling to the public in the near future.  Avalon is due to deliver their first batch soon but orders are closed for that.  For BFL customers, the choice at the moment is to either hang in their or to get a refund and abandon the idea of ASIC mining for the immediate future (which they don't want to do because they'll be disadvantaged if BFL does deliver at some point - even if it's late - and they don't have an existing order).
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
January 14, 2013, 05:19:41 PM
I wish the forum had an intelligent keyword filtering option so that I could still watch this thread, but it would hide every post related to ForEx, BTC refunds and credit card exchange rates.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
January 14, 2013, 05:18:00 PM
Assume that buying stuff with your BTC was like selling your BTC for USD.
I can not assume something that is incorrect. I didn't sell my BTC for USD. BFL did. I don't have any contract with BitPay. BFL have. This is why only BFL can sell BTC to BitPay!

I don't know how you are reasonning, but for me, it was clear that it was refundable in USD.
Read, read, read... I thought you have read all my reasoning so far and this is why you are annoyed?! For me, it was clear that I'm paying in BTC and it was refundable in the currency and amount that was originally paid.
You are wrong.  A court would not agree with you on this.  BFL's orders were priced in USD, therefore you will receive a refund in USD.  If you believe differently, take it to a courtroom and prove us all wrong!
legendary
Activity: 1386
January 14, 2013, 05:15:23 PM
I can not assume something that is incorrect. I didn't sell my BTC for USD. BFL did. I don't have any contract with BitPay. BFL have. This is why only BFL can sell BTC to BitPay!

I don't know how you are reasonning, but for me, it was clear that it was refundable in USD.
Read, read, read... I thought you have read all my reasoning so far and this is why you are annoyed?! For me, it was clear that I'm paying in BTC and it was refundable in the currency and amount that was originally paid.

That is absurd and the only reason why you put that fabrication together is to try to game BFL.  By your logic anyone with a BFL order paid in BTC can ask for a refund of the BTC and then instantly replace (if desired) the order at a lower BTC cost pocketing the BTC.  Everyone gets a free OPTION call!! 
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
January 14, 2013, 05:12:18 PM
I can not assume something that is incorrect.

Yes you can.

I didn't sell my BTC for USD. BFL did. I don't have any contract with BitPay. BFL have. This is why only BFL can sell BTC to BitPay!

BFL never saw even one bitcoin from a customer. BFL creates an invoice for a price in USD, BitPay takes that invoice and converts it to BTC based on current market rates, the customer pays the BTC and is instantly converted to USD and sent to BFL.
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
January 14, 2013, 05:11:24 PM
I personally think that if you sent BFL payment in Bitcoins and they converted that to USD (back in the summer when preorders started), you shouldn't be whining. You basically took a gamble on BFL delivering on time.

The fact that the price rose is something you should have considered as part of your level of risk you wanted to take in entrusting BFL with your bitcoins for preorder.

I still view BFL as a bullshit company that is very unprofessional.

Much of what surrounds BFL now reminds me of BTCST.

Sorry to belabor an already made point, but some people still don't get it.

If BFL is paying their costs in USD (never mind that it's looking more and more laughable that they have any costs by the day) then it only makes sense that they would convert BTC to USD.  And refund accordingly.

OTOH, if it is true that they reserved all pre-order funds in an untouched pool (even more laughable) then they could have just sat on BTC.  If they were legit, however, they would have made it perfectly clear what they were doing in this regard and given customers an option.  Of course few of the dim-wit 'customers' (cough) envisioned the possibility to want their pre-order funds back (their minds being filled with visions of fast cars and attractive sex partners) so it's not surprising that this level of planning was neglected.  (To be fair, I am actually just guessing that this is the reality of how things went down, but if anyone wants to prove me wrong, go for it.)

legendary
Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233
January 14, 2013, 05:08:57 PM

legendary
January 14, 2013, 05:06:39 PM
Wasn't the picture of the bubbled chip posted in late-ish October? Did you blow it up in October than then have the simulations done in December, and then decided to switch away from QFN?
It sounds like that's about how it went, yeah.  They got the QFN prototypes, figured out they couldn't cool them properly as they thought they could, did some "worst case scenario" self testing, bubbled a chip, decided to have an outside company do some similar testing in December, and then concluded they couldn't properly cool a QFN chip in a heated environment.

If that's the case and they knew about the problems with the QFN in early/mid-Oct, what was going on for the last half of October and November before they had the consultants run thermal simulations and start the move to a FC package in December?
Did they have an initial batch in Oct that ran too hot and blew the chip, tried another wafer run through November expecting to ship in December that still had too many issues, then ran the simulations and decided to switch to FC?
Sounds like a distinct possibility to me...!
legendary
January 14, 2013, 05:05:36 PM
Wasn't the picture of the bubbled chip posted in late-ish October? Did you blow it up in October than then have the simulations done in December, and then decided to switch away from QFN?
It sounds like that's about how it went, yeah.  They got the QFN prototypes, figured out they couldn't cool them properly as they thought they could, did some "worst case scenario" self testing, bubbled a chip, decided to have an outside company do some similar testing in December, and then concluded they couldn't properly cool a QFN chip in a heated environment.

If that's the case and they knew about the problems with the QFN in early/mid-Oct, what was going on for the last half of October and November before they had the consultants run thermal simulations and start the move to a FC package in December?
Did they have an initial batch in Oct that ran too hot and blew the chip, tried another wafer run through November expecting to ship in December that still had too many issues, then ran the simulations and decided to switch to FC?
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
January 14, 2013, 04:57:00 PM
I personally think that if you sent BFL payment in Bitcoins and they converted that to USD (back in the summer when preorders started), you shouldn't be whining. You basically took a gamble on BFL delivering on time.

The fact that the price rose is something you should have considered as part of your level of risk you wanted to take in entrusting BFL with your bitcoins for preorder.

I still view BFL as a bullshit company that is very unprofessional.

Much of what surrounds BFL now reminds me of BTCST.
legendary
January 14, 2013, 04:56:20 PM
legendary
Activity: 1002
Bitcoin
January 14, 2013, 04:50:26 PM
Please just assume and stop whinning here, it's kinda anoying !
Assume what?

legendary
January 14, 2013, 04:37:28 PM
legendary
Activity: 3431
Merit: 1233
January 14, 2013, 04:36:03 PM
Assume what?
legendary
January 14, 2013, 04:31:43 PM
More details on the QFN packaging and reasons for delays:

We made the decision to go with QFN in December. I can't really talk about our development process itself, but we have gone through extensive design and testing phases... at one point in early December we decided to look at a worst case scenario if the chips were in a really hot environment (you can see the bubbled chip in one of the pictures, I think someone pointed it out.). We paid a company out of California quite a bit of money to run a run of simulations under different scenarios on our boards, as well as if we made changes to various portions of the PCB if we could salvage the QFN package's thermal envelope. We were able to get the thermal loads down about 6C off the current mark, but we were still within single digits of the max temperatures of surrounding components once the heat started to migrate through the ground plane. If someone in a really hot area ran these things, the fan would be on full blast the entire time, and as dust and other detritus collected on the HSF the unit would start to overheat and throttle (or worst case, you'd get bubbled chips). The internal junction temp of our ASICs, if I recall is around 121C, however the MCU and a couple other components are around 100C or less if memory serves and we were butting up against that in some cases, in the 90's.

I've already touched on some of the roadblocks we've had. One of the more annoying ones was the diffraction issue ... for example, at 65nm if you try to make a square shape on a wafer, you can't just make a square shape on the mask, you'll end up with an ellipsis of some sort due to the wavelength of light. So you have to shape the mask to accommodate the wavelength so what ends up on the wafer is a square, though it looks very different on the mask. So you have to go through just about everything, making sure what you want is actually what ends up on the wafer... the delay this caused was not anticipated to the extent it delayed us and since this is a full custom, hand routed chip, basically it had to be gone over by hand from top to bottom.

Another delay we've had to endure is the fact that we have effectively tied the ASIC teams payment to the success of the chip. If the chip were to be a failure they don't get paid... so they have incentive to get it right but that has made them very cautious and slow to approve final masks (This is why we can refund all pre-orders we want and why we have the capital to do what we need to do without a failure putting us in bankruptcy).

Ultimately, it has all boiled down to the incredible complexity of the chip (I mean, look at that beast, it's all black in the shot it's so dense). If the chip were not so complex and so efficient there wouldn't be a heat issue, there wouldn't be the wariness of releasing the mask, etc... This is why I find it patently ridiculous that Tom kept claiming his 90nm sASIC or PnR chip would be 100w, it's ludicrous. Avalons claims are far more reasonable at 400w for their design and is why I haven't given them such a hard time. I think Avalon is going to run into some problems that we've run into, but I don't think they will be anything insurmountable, but I suspect it will delay them a bit while they try to figure out how to mount all the heat sinks or the giant heatsink they are going to need to keep the thing cool, and the board itself has to be massive. Tom was estimating 7 x 9" if I recall for his 16 chip 90nm process... the Avalon is 110nm with at least 80 chips I estimate... though I'm sure the chip footprint is much smaller, we're still talking about a bucket load of chips that all have to be cooled. If their package, and I think they are using QFN, is not letting enough heat out the top they are going to flood their thermal and ground planes with 300w+ of heat and cook everything in sight. We were fighting 60w of heat (granted, on a much smaller surface area) and it was a problem, I can't imagine trying to fight 300w of heat. For their sakes, I hope they have already considered these issues or it's going to be a nasty surprise the first time they turn a unit on and the chips start popping and letting the magic smoke out.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/690-13-jan-2013-asic-update-discussion-thread-6.html
legendary
Activity: 1002
Bitcoin
January 14, 2013, 04:27:11 PM
they would be stupid to continue the scam (if it was one) and continue to give refunds.
They give only partial refunds! My pre-order is paid in BTC and now they do not honor full BTC refunds!

If you believe that anyone with "reasonable intelligence" could conclude BFL is some kind of scam, please do tell why they haven't run yet.
Because they think they can have perfectly legal profit without doing anything!

@ BECOIN : if you managed to understand their policy and your risk taking action, you could assume.

6 Month ago, I've bought in BTC, knowing that if I ask for a refund it will be un U$.

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
January 14, 2013, 04:21:34 PM

Or a company who realizes that expedient delivery of product is what drives their profit, and risking $3M of preorders on an additional 4-6 week delay isn't worth saving $80k on a chip run.

It's not a matter of what they want. Without a prototype mass production is pointless. What if the chips will not work?  another delay - few weeks / months. Unplanned delay is higher risk. What are the chances that these chips will work ? Can You  imagine serial production cars/CPU's/any electronics without a prototype and testing?

Phases of a Custom ASIC Design.
1. Feasibility Study
2. Design
3. Prototyping !!!!
4. Engineering Runs
5. Industrialization
6. Management of full IC Fabrication Process
7. Wide Selection of Processes and Technologies
8. Series Production
http://www.trias-mikro.de/html/prod_asic_overview_chipAlliance.html?1,1,0

BFL Phases:

1. Design
2. Series Production
3. Waiting for a miracle that the chips will work
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
January 14, 2013, 03:56:33 PM
I can see how BFL was put in a tough spot a couple months back...  They find out that the QFN package won't be able to be cooled as effectively as they thought it would.  So, what can they do?

Lower speed for first batch then upgrade those later on.
People would be more than happy with 'reduced ASIC performance' then 'no ASIC at all performance' which they get at the moment...

Right.  I actually am potentially interested in aquiring some mining capability but it was a no-brainer to me to wait until something was proven rather than try to capitalize on some theorized early-bird advantage.  Better just to buy enough Bitcoin to compare to what I might have been able to mine should all the planets align.

To your point though, I expected that as with almost any new technology a first-generation will be pretty rough and many lessons from it will feed into follow-up generations.

For my purposes, first generation Avalon (if it is not a scam) might be perfectly adequate as long as I can do my own OS images.  And might even be a screaming deal if a 2nd generation comes along.  That's my best hope.

What I won't be doing is buying any gear which I cannot fully manipulate to my specifications no matter what the price/performance.  Said another way, if it is not fully open-source, or at the very least fully analyzable and able to be made open-source, I'm not interested.

legendary
January 14, 2013, 03:46:30 PM
I can see how BFL was put in a tough spot a couple months back...  They find out that the QFN package won't be able to be cooled as effectively as they thought it would.  So, what can they do?

Lower speed for first batch then upgrade those later on.
People would be more than happy with 'reduced ASIC performance' then 'no ASIC at all performance' which they get at the moment...
I don't think the dates were realistical in the first place because of how they suddenly decided to redesign the board after the original shipping date.
They didn't have a final product at that october date and you cannot set a shipping date if you haven't even seen your final working product.
That, combined with several more delays pretty much means their dates are meaningless as such and their primary goal was, i assume, to get people exited so they get the funding.

Since BFL claims that the FPGA run gave them heaps of experience in handling delays and Josh has stated that these delays are because they want a perfect chip it is impossible for BFL to ever have taken their dates seriously. There must have been, like, a 90% chance that the first date would never happen. This next date i'd say there is a  Roll Eyes 40% chance they will deliver. I think that the likelyhood of them shipping increases as we approach March.

BFL must fully understand that they are still in the design stage of their project and that the likelyhood for errors is high.
No responsible company could have set these dates in such a situation. The fact that the date has been moved several time shows that BFL lost control of the process several times.
They should have said from the beginning that they will ship propably early 2013 and not set a hard date at all unless they are sure.
I would have liked them to do that (release lower speed on the first batch with promise to upgrade).  Seems like a good alternative; even though it would have been expensive for them to do so, it would have staved a large majority of reputation-tarnishing, and would have most certainly made their preorder customers quite happy.

Good post.

You didn't know where the BTC price was going to be 6 months ago.  Neither did BFL.
Simple. If they can't control currency exchange risk, they shouldn't have accepted payments in BTC in the first place!
If you take that attitude, it makes Bitcoin worthless as a currency.
BFL converted their BTC to USD as soon as they received each order to protect themselves against a BTC price drop.
Well, they should have protected themselves against a BTC price rise as well? It is not my fault if they've speculated and didn't do that!
How could they have protected themselves against both a rise and a fall in BTC price at the same time?  If you know how to do that, then you should be a billionaire already.

Please go look at legal rulings regarding currency transfer risk.  In ALL cases, the courts have decided that the base currency of the transaction designates the refund amount.  If the Euro rises relative to USD after someone pays for a USD-priced item with Euro, then the refund for that item would drop in terms of Euro, just like the refund for BFL's miners dropped in terms of BTC.  I don't really care that you disagree, but that's what the courts dictate.  When you get them to agree with you instead, please do let us all know and proclaim your viewpoint as the more logical one.  Until then, there's not a thing you can do about it.

Looking at the way things are now, I think anyone with reasonable intelligence could conclude that BFL is probably some kind of scam.

Of course the obvious exception are those with significant pre-orders, who are putting their fingers in their ears and saying "I'm not listening!" They can't afford for it to be a scam, so therefore it must not be one.

And of course anyone who points out the scam warning signs is abused.

It's Pirateat40 all over again, just a different type of scam. The CEO is a convicted fraudster for fucks sake, how dumb do you need to be?
It'll be fun to come back to posts like this and say "I told you so" when I receive my ASICs.  Wink

It's not a scam. All signs point towards a company inexperienced in producing Bitcoin ASICs attempting to produce Bitcoin ASICs. Unexpected delays happen in a LOT of startup companies.  Target dates are missed over and over again in a LOT of startup companies.  Modifying the end product in the middle of the production process happens in a LOT of startup companies.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If BFL was going to run with the money, they would have done so long ago.  Far more people are cancelling their orders than are keeping them, so they would be stupid to continue the scam (if it was one) and continue to give refunds.  It would be money out of their pockets for no reason at all if it was a scam.  If you believe that anyone with "reasonable intelligence" could conclude BFL is some kind of scam, please do tell why they haven't run yet.

yes, You are right, only inexperienced company can order 100 000 chips without a prototype and testing, without sure if these chips will work, hoping for a miracle.
Or a company who realizes that expedient delivery of product is what drives their profit, and risking $3M of preorders on an additional 4-6 week delay isn't worth saving $80k on a chip run.
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1003
January 14, 2013, 03:45:21 PM
Looking at the way things are now, I think anyone with reasonable intelligence could conclude that BFL is probably some kind of scam.

Of course the obvious exception are those with significant pre-orders, who are putting their fingers in their ears and saying "I'm not listening!" They can't afford for it to be a scam, so therefore it must not be one.

And of course anyone who points out the scam warning signs is abused.

It's Pirateat40 all over again, just a different type of scam. The CEO is a convicted fraudster for fucks sake, how dumb do you need to be?
A wise person has spoken (IMO).
Pages:
Jump to: