Pages:
Author

Topic: [Archive] BFL trolling museum - page 7. (Read 69327 times)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500
January 23, 2013, 09:49:50 AM
Boxes... Cool...
Why the hell cant you just be at the chip fabrication, and snap a quick shot of the In Construction board?
It would shut everyone up. "chip fab plant isnt nearby" Well yeah, But you DID visit it once before, And I still havent seen photos

Josh stated somewhere on the BFL forums that he wasn't allowed to make any pictures in the facility.
He only made some pictures of the outside. But he also can't post those cause there are details about the faccility on the pictures he doesn't want to leak out to prevent people harrassing the facility.
He could blur out the details he said. But then you just only have pictures of a big building.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
January 23, 2013, 09:42:38 AM
Boxes... Cool...
Why the hell cant you just be at the chip fabrication, and snap a quick shot of the In Construction board?
It would shut everyone up. "chip fab plant isnt nearby" Well yeah, But you DID visit it once before, And I still havent seen photos
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
January 23, 2013, 04:25:45 AM
We can even prove the existence of God!

Oh no! You'll encourage that guy who keeps talking about 12th century Catholics Sad
January 23, 2013, 04:23:59 AM
More evidence that our ASICS are real:

Huh

The thread title flat out says that the boxes are empty, and quite obviously exists only for people who like pictures of boxes (generally people who buy Apple products), and not as "evidence" for ASICs.

The quality of the trolling in this thread is just getting lower and lower :/
January 23, 2013, 04:17:07 AM
The problem is that BFL spits out this 1w/Gh number and people quote it like it's gospel.

I suppose I can agree there, though I recall seeing a post about "0.8 to 1.2".
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
January 23, 2013, 01:30:50 AM

Look! We can put boxes into boxes. More evidence that our ASICS are real:

+1 LOL
legendary
Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
January 23, 2013, 12:41:38 AM

Yep.  All of this bickering over kWh and slivers of profit at a point in time where difficulty is so high.

Better off worrying about USD/GH.  BFL selling anyone a chip for 150 that costs 2 to produce when ROI will be near 12 months is madness.
Well it's even worse than that:

FPGA -> ASIC

Firstly it doesn't matter the GH/s it does, coz everyone who buys one will be getting that sort of GH/s

Seriously, everyone is simply upgrading their hardware for no gain ... well actually for way less gain ...

Secondly, the price from FPGA -> ASIC = 2x

So entry cost to the same competition has doubled

But wait, halving!

So gross return has also halved.

... OK you see the picture? Tongue

As has been stated before, at the goldfields, the guy who sells the mining equipment gets the gold ...

... damn I should be selling cgminer Tongue Cheesy

This and many many many more post dont account for the price of BTC in the future...  If BTC worth 1000$ or 1$ in four years... All those nice post are worthless.. Even the seller of the mining equipement is'nt in the race at 1000$/BTC...

All useless post IMO.. All depends of what value BTC will exchange for when it will !
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
January 22, 2013, 02:35:29 PM
400w is a lot of heat to dissipate out of a closed box.

No, it's not. Lots of servers draw 400w in a 1U case. 4U cases can handle well over 1000w, easily.
Ok, fair point.  I would argue that those 1U cases and the components within are specifically designed to withdraw that heat in a particular way, with hundreds or thousands of engineering hours dedicated to exactly that, but it does show it is possible.
donator
Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020
January 22, 2013, 02:35:06 PM

Time for funny story on cooling, BFL said something like we'd run into similiar problems like them knowing our design is completely different, e.g. rolled vs pipeline, we chuckled; since we are ahead, I'll say the same, I think BFL is going to run into some problems we ran into as well.

Anyways, cooling was the exact opposite, our units cool so well, we removed two fans. ZING.

Josh,

What do you think of the mammoth case Avalon just released pics of?  Do you think the PCB takes up the entire footprint?  Did they do this to spread the ASIC chips apart because of heat?  Just curious.

Probably. The avalon system apparently is going to run far cooler then expected, likely due to large fans and utilizing a form factor almost as big as the BFL shipping box. However, it would seem from posts that some of the space is occupied by a "radiator" and some sort of unrevealed secret

water cooling maybe?
legendary
Activity: 2114
ASIC Wannabe
January 22, 2013, 02:31:03 PM

Time for funny story on cooling, BFL said something like we'd run into similiar problems like them knowing our design is completely different, e.g. rolled vs pipeline, we chuckled; since we are ahead, I'll say the same, I think BFL is going to run into some problems we ran into as well.

Anyways, cooling was the exact opposite, our units cool so well, we removed two fans. ZING.

Josh,

What do you think of the mammoth case Avalon just released pics of?  Do you think the PCB takes up the entire footprint?  Did they do this to spread the ASIC chips apart because of heat?  Just curious.

Probably. The avalon system apparently is going to run far cooler then expected, likely due to large fans and utilizing a form factor almost as big as the BFL shipping box. However, it would seem from posts that some of the space is occupied by a "radiator" and some sort of unrevealed secret
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
January 22, 2013, 02:27:13 PM
400w is a lot of heat to dissipate out of a closed box.

No, it's not. Lots of servers draw 400w in a 1U case. 4U cases can handle well over 1000w, easily.
legendary
Activity: 1400
January 22, 2013, 02:25:09 PM

Josh,

I bet it's both... they use a lot of chips for each miner because of the 110nm process, which probably results in a largish PCB, and 400w is a lot of heat to dissipate out of a closed box.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
January 22, 2013, 02:19:58 PM
It's cute the way BFL designs their products & packages to make them all pretty. I think that they think they are releasing the new iPad or iPod.

News flash: No one cares what this stuff looks like, just as long as it works. The Avalon is uglier than shit, but at least they're shipping.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
January 22, 2013, 02:16:06 PM
Why do so many quote BFL's power "spec" as a firm number? BFL was WAY off on their last product's power specs, they do not have chips, and wasn't it their rep that was backpedaling on power consumption estimates just recently? Their power "spec" is a guess and likely a wild ass overly optimistic guess at that, just like their shipping dates.  

65nm designs almost always outperform 90nm and especially 110nm designs by a wide margin. Their ASIC designers would have to be unusually stupid in order to fail to produce chips with higher GH/J than all of the current competitors. FPGA power estimates are arguably easier to screw up, especially if you're working with an unusual FPGA.

To be a success after the difficulty rises, it doesn't have to be a "firm number". It just has to win.

Doesn't even begin to address the question. Everybody knows smaller die size = generally lower power consumption and better profitability for a chip maker. The problem is that BFL spits out this 1w/Gh number and people quote it like it's gospel. It's not even a power range as would have been prudent for BFL to release as they clearly do not know what the final power consumption spec will be. A jalepeno is very unlikely to have the same power consumption profile as a minirig SC, but they're the same according to BFL and people eat it up.
donator
Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020
January 22, 2013, 02:12:03 PM

Josh,

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500
January 22, 2013, 02:08:41 PM

Look! We can put boxes into boxes. More evidence that our ASICS are real:

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Clown prophet
January 22, 2013, 07:13:16 AM
Why do so many quote BFL's power "spec" as a firm number? BFL was WAY off on their last product's power specs, they do not have chips, and wasn't it their rep that was backpedaling on power consumption estimates just recently? Their power "spec" is a guess and likely a wild ass overly optimistic guess at that, just like their shipping dates.  

65nm designs almost always outperform 90nm and especially 110nm designs by a wide margin. Their ASIC designers would have to be unusually stupid in order to fail to produce chips with higher GH/J than all of the current competitors. FPGA power estimates are arguably easier to screw up, especially if you're working with an unusual FPGA.

To be a success after the difficulty rises, it doesn't have to be a "firm number". It just has to win.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
January 22, 2013, 12:39:12 AM
there's roughly 40,000 workers (+/- 5,000) currently mining

Speaking of math, where is this number from? Source?

Sorry about that, meant to edit the post before when I got my link.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxnW49twNMNbZWRnSHJ2SzdyMnc/edit

WOW!

So, the largest computer processor--Bitcoin--is about to get twelve times larger. And to think we don't need to build a moat around it.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
January 21, 2013, 11:21:05 PM
Hey Korbman, I do like your work - but any chance of using http://blockorigin.pfoe.be/  for your data? The averages are over the last 2016 blocks so it's a bit more accurate.

Also, where do you pull the data for the workers?

I will definitely use http://blockorigin.pfoe.be/ next time...it does seem to be a bit more accurate, which will surely have an effect on overall stats.

As for workers, it's a pain in the ass to figure out.
For some pools, like deepbit or 50btc where they have a list of all the pools teams (containing all workers and hashing rates), it's pretty easy. I copy all of the data on workers/teams I can find into Excel. If it copies correctly, I can get a full table of all users, hash rates, etc...then I can clear the formatting and use the normal Excel functions to grab sums, averages, and the like. Pulling 7,000+ workers of data out of deepbit's tables, for example, isn't so hard after that.

For other pools, like BTCGuild, where they barely report anything other than "leaderboard" based hash rates, it's super hard to figure out accurate worker counts.

Overall, I try to use the accurate data displayed by the reliable pools to figure out what percentage of workers contribute the most to the hashrate...and then apply an average percentage to pools that don't give out precise information. Really it all comes down to an educated guess at best, but it's still better than assuming. Though nothing compared to your phenomenal work Organofcorti Smiley

Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it. If anyone finds an easier way to pull data from some of the pools, let me know! Always happy to update my paper again Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: