Pages:
Author

Topic: | ARDOR | Scalable Blockchain-as-a-Service Platform | Proof of Stake - page 20. (Read 395481 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 100
Although the overall encryption money market is sluggish, the ARDOR price has also dropped a lot. However, the ARDOR coin project is still advancing steadily, and the future development prospect is good.
Activity: 756
Merit: 269
Get Ardor, Nxt and Ignis Listed on Kucoin exchange.
https://medium.com/@dayowhiteking/get-ardor-nxt-and-ignis-listed-on-kucoin-exchange-ef9f64b049a2

KuCoin Listing Voting Competition ends on 19th July.
A chance to get Ardor, Nxt and Ignis Listed on Kucoin exchange.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064
Juicin' crypto
EOS may be better for people who like garbage projects

Cheesy fixed that for you!
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist
And that is the point why I think Ardor won't take of as a Blockchain-as-a-Service Platform:
What happens when a child chain gets pruned? Can the child chain creator choose when pruning happens?

For instance:
If I have a company with supply chain, that wants to put information onto the blockchain. What happens when a supply takes... lets say 6 Weeks, due to shipping or something else but the chain gets pruned every 2 weeks?
Are the information lost? What happens in case of a warranty and I need the information on the blockchain?
The last state of a node (e.g. its last balance) is not deleted by pruning - it's recorded in the account table (snapshot).

So if a company is afraid to lose information they could - apart from running archival nodes, as martismartis said - simply create a new account for each essential transaction that shouldn't get lost.

However, I don't believe that the scenario you describe is really the ideal use case for an Ardor childchain. Ardor childchains are best used when the last state of each account is the important information you need, not for the "data storage (with timestamps) in the blockchain" use case. Use cases would include internal payment networks (e.g. bonus point or gift card systems), in-game currencies (e.g. Linden Dollars) etc.
Activity: 350
Merit: 11
ARDOR the long-term development of this coin project is worth investors' expectation. The price of short-term coins is still in a downward trend.
Activity: 145
Merit: 251
- The Sun -
Hackathon & Conference "Blockchain meets Purposeful Gaming"
24. August - 26. August 2018, Donau-Universität Krems
From August 24th- 26th 2018 the Center for Applied Game Studies at Donau University Krems is hosting its first “Blockchain Hackathon meets Game Jam Hybrid” event.

The goal of this event is to unite the disciplines of blockchain-development and game studies in a meaningful way.
At this first event of this kind we like to introduce the “Blockchain as a service platform” Ardor with its unique “Childchain Architecture” and the brand new “lightweight contracts”. The participants of the hackathon will be split into two groups with the purpose to create a collector’s game with an educative purpose. An example would be to build a collectible card-game about the “17th century Tulip-Mania” in Amsterdam. The winning team will get a bounty powered by Jelurida.

The start of the event is organized as a conference to get in touch not only with blockchain technology, but to also learn more about games with a purpose and about the possibilities you have as young entrepreneur in this particular field.
Block on, and register for this event below. The participation to the conference & hackathon is free.

The registration will be closed on August, 21th or when the maximum number of participants is reached.
Maximum number of participants: conference: 40 | hackathon: 26

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe9FMDds2Nhfkdrp5nilZ_y9yIUKcK2WvqdOL1SdCXux84gYQ/viewform

https://teamup.com/event/show/id/e3yQGYRT8jSxxjgYkwHSLX9cHnWFAv#
Activity: 34
Merit: 5

I agree overall, but I see it as a problem that child-chain creation currently is manual (it requires an update to the software), so there is less advantage to an independent blockchain. When pruning and automatic child chain creation are released, then Ardor is ready for take-off.

And that is the point why I think Ardor won't take of as a Blockchain-as-a-Service Platform:
What happens when a child chain gets pruned? Can the child chain creator choose when pruning happens?

For instance:
If I have a company with supply chain, that wants to put information onto the blockchain. What happens when a supply takes... lets say 6 Weeks, due to shipping or something else but the chain gets pruned every 2 weeks?
Are the information lost? What happens in case of a warranty and I need the information on the blockchain?

Jelurida should explain how they imagine the concept of pruning in detail and give an example how this could work for companies.

You and others will run archival nodes, which keeps everything and do not prune data. Running archival node is just few settings in client properties file.

Ohhh my brain. I already read something about archival nodes but didn't thought of them. Thanks for helping my brain out Grin Wink
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1005

I agree overall, but I see it as a problem that child-chain creation currently is manual (it requires an update to the software), so there is less advantage to an independent blockchain. When pruning and automatic child chain creation are released, then Ardor is ready for take-off.

For instance:

Jelurida should explain how they imagine the concept of pruning in detail and give an example how this could work for companies.

You and others will run archival nodes, which keeps everything and do not prune data. Running archival node is just few settings in client properties file.
Activity: 34
Merit: 5

For instance:

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist
EOS may be better for people like social media companies, etc. I see the power of Ardors in the corporate world with supply chains, etc. The companies will pay a fee and 1 minute blocking is fine.

I still have a bit a hard time to understand "Lightweight Contracts". There should really be an ELI5 somewhere ... But I slowly make progress ...

As explained here, Lightweight Contracts are smart contracts which are only run by nodes that "have an interest running it".  Seems legit. But what I didn't understand first are the use cases.

Lior has written about an use case where a lightweight contract listens on an specific IGNIS address and exchanges the amount to ARDR.

This was a prime example for my understanding problem: because, what would happen if I send these IGNIS to this address, but the contract is not run anymore by anybody? Would I lose my IGNIS?

But it seems the answer is simply: Well, I can run the contract myself. The node controlling the account sending the ARDR has stored the contract on the blockchain, so everybody can find it. As long as there are ARDR in the specified account, the contract will execute correctly - and I can control that the ARDR are there. For the case someone was trying to "frontrun" me (i.e. emptying the ARDR account before I get the ARDR) the contract author could integrate a clause that if the ARDR account is empty, then the IGNIS can be sent back to the sender.

I still have doubts if there is not a flaw in the concept. Maybe I'll open a separate thread about "lightweight contracts" in the Altcoin Discussion forum.
Activity: 980
Merit: 512
EOS may be better for people like social media companies, etc. I see the power of Ardors in the corporate world with supply chains, etc. The companies will pay a fee and 1 minute blocking is fine. This is the security and easy-to-use model they want and I think Ardor is great for that.
Activity: 350
Merit: 46
Ardor project team's technology is very good, this is a technical value coin, it is worth investors to continue to hold patiently.
Activity: 378
Merit: 100
Short BTC at: https://www.bitmex.com/register/spz2
Activity: 1358
Merit: 635
https://twitter.com/OKEx_/status/1013648155420717056

Ardor (ARDR) is now live on OKEx! Start trading with BTC on platform today!
Nice works from ardor team.
Long time to hear a good market news from the team.

OKEx makes it relatively simple to open ARDOR for newcomers from China,   and that will obviously paid off. But I continue to believe that the main focus of Ardor team should be on  building  ARDR  recognition and interest in business by incorporating new childchains into platform.
Pages:
Jump to: