Author

Topic: ASICMINER Speculation Thread - page 110. (Read 808757 times)

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
September 17, 2013, 01:03:57 AM
He-he you guys you should go hang out in meta sometime  Cool
(Also moderation can be pretty weird here the ripple thread is still not locked)
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
♫ the AM bear who cares ♫
September 17, 2013, 12:42:15 AM
Can we get a moderator in here please?

I remember you from raginazn628's other thread.

OP hasn't been online for 5 days now.
He lied about having the btc converted and not being able to refund them. The whole thing reeks of scam.

/snip

Anyone else living on the East Coast here and wants to go on a little road trip to OP's house? I'll take a bat (and a ball just in case we get stopped). I am busy till end of September though.

Threats of physical violence are fine, but this thread needs a moderator.

This is exactly what I mean about the viciousness and vitriol in this community.

Um, I wasn't really serious about the bat. I was serious about the drive, but things appear to have started moving and I have no intention on spending $80 on gas.

Also: your logical fallacy is tu quoque - you attempted to critique me instead of answering the criticism.

That's fucking disgusting. You'd make an implied death threat, than later play it off as something you "weren't serious" about? The person on the other end of your threats has no gauge of your intentions.

And you misunderstand my position. I'd love nothing more than to see moderators restore some civility around here, since I wouldn't be defending my person every time I make an argument about ASICMiner, and since people making threats of violence would receive the appropriate bans.
Activity: 248
Merit: 252
September 17, 2013, 12:29:04 AM

He lied about having the btc converted and not being able to refund them. The whole thing reeks of scam.

/snip

Anyone else living on the East Coast here and wants to go on a little road trip to OP's house? I'll take a bat (and a ball just in case we get stopped). I am busy till end of September though.

This is exactly what I mean about the viciousness and vitriol in this community.

Um, I wasn't really serious about the bat. I was serious about the drive, but things appear to have started moving and I have no intention on spending $80 on gas.

Also: your logical fallacy is tu quoque - you attempted to critique me instead of answering the criticism.
September 16, 2013, 11:56:19 PM

/snip

Activity: 248
Merit: 252
September 16, 2013, 11:48:13 PM
Activity: 770
Merit: 501
September 16, 2013, 11:46:12 PM
nice one...instead of discussing fundamentals of AsicMiner let's discuss fundamentals of vycid.
it's ridiculous how centralized this thread got.

guys, seriously...get a room. this is going nowhere
September 16, 2013, 11:19:40 PM

Yep, I play ball. You attack my person, I hit back.

I'm not a "turn the other cheek" guy. The other ass cheek, maybe.
But you are an amateur analyist are you not?

How would you draw that distinction? I've beaten the market every year for the past 5 years, which is incredibly rare even among professionals (I do not dismiss the element of luck as a major factor, but I think it's a little silly to believe it was the only thing involved). I have been paid to invest for others in the past.

No, I am not currently employed as an analyst.

However, given the context of that post - which is extremely important - it is clear that the definition intended is this one:

amateur: a person considered contemptibly inept at a particular activity.

and not this one

amateur: a person who engages in a pursuit, esp. a sport, on an unpaid basis.

On that basis, no. I am not an amateur analyst. This "contemptibly inept" person has made a lot of money on ASICMiner derivatives, otherwise.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
September 16, 2013, 11:16:36 PM

But you are an amateur analyist are you not?
September 16, 2013, 11:13:33 PM

September 16, 2013, 11:07:41 PM

And what do you suppose is the primary one?

Do you think I actually be short if thought I had to manufacture reasons to be bearish?

I'll third that "vicious personal attack" where you were referred to as an "amateur analyist".

I knew I was dealing with an amateur masquerading as an analyst.

That is an attack on my credibility. There's no other way about it.

The use of the word "vicious" was in the context of the community, not that particular attack:

It's probably true that this experience is bad for my health, to be honest. This is a vicious, vitriolic community.

And considering that I have received many, many personal attacks at this point, it doesn't seem outlandish at all. Others have observed the same about this community's disposition.

Let's not get revisionist here.
September 16, 2013, 11:01:31 PM

Do you think I actually be short if thought I had to manufacture reasons to be bearish?

With any degree of accuracy, I can only say anything other than accuracy.

I can't speak for you, but if I thought I had to manufacture reasons to be bearish, yes maybe I actually be short too, I think.  Undecided

I'll third that "vicious personal attack" where you were referred to as an "amateur analyist".
September 16, 2013, 10:43:23 PM
Accuracy is a secondary objective in other places too.

Do you think I actually be short if I had to manufacture reasons to be bearish?

If you're referring to "something else" here, the placement is awfully convenient.
September 16, 2013, 10:35:15 PM
Accuracy is a secondary objective in other places too.
September 16, 2013, 10:18:19 PM
You're a fucking moron. Do a google search for "biggest company". Wikipedia, CNN Money,  Forbes - all use revenue.

Don't attempt to backpedal with some "oh, well, only value matters" argument. You said "size", I responded to that, then you attacked me for my ignorance, despite the fact you were clearly demonstrating your own, and that I provided evidence you were incorrect.

The point here is - 10% margin is quite good, on average. That is fact.

(Do a google search for "most valuable company" too.)

Are you really employed? Can you communicate with others in a work situation? I highly doubt it.

My co-workers do not make a habit of personal attacks, do not malign my credibility or my ability to reason, and give due consideration to my opinions and arguments.

That goes both ways, I should add. I have the privilege of working with some of the smartest folks around. Incredible things happen in this industry. We are doing things today that were widely considered impossible little more than a decade ago.

When someone referred to largest company in the world most of us I'm sure knew what he meant, and I'm betting you knew what he meant, but you had to add your qualifier after the fact, largest BY REVENUE, to prove (to yourself at least) you were right, again, as always.

Not that any are needed but there are plenty of authoritative sources that show YOU ARE WRONG eg Financial Times call Apple no 1. International Business Times list Exxon, Apple, Google, Microsoft.

Apple IS #1 in market cap. I would not dispute that point, since it is a matter of record, and since I can look it up just as easily as you can. As of the close of the NYSE today, Apple had a market cap of $408,932,669,640, and Exxon a market cap of $ 390,292,681,864.

However, Apple IS NOT the biggest company by any measure that could be considered a measure of "bigness". Not in terms of revenue, profit, employees, square footage, whatever. It only is the most VALUABLE company, based on the shares outstanding and the market price of those shares.

It should surprise nobody that a company with such a truly exceptional profit margin is so valuable. If there was a one-man operation where a wizard manufactured 25,000,000 2,500,000 barrels of oil a day using nothing but his mind, and that company was publicly traded, that company would likely be the most valuable on Earth. You claim that would make it the biggest. I say you are wrong.

It was disingenuous for Aedius to use market cap as the metric for "biggest company" and then cite its profit margins, as if market cap and profit margins are unrelated. That was the point of the by-revenue rankings, which are much less correlated.

You're fond of linking to investopedia, so stick this up your a** http://www.investopedia.com/stock-analysis/2012/is-apple-really-the-largest-company-ever-aapl-msft-xom-ptr0821.aspx.

(go on, twist it any way you choose)

Third sentence of that article (did you read it?): "Many headlines have since proclaimed that Apple has broken a record for the most valuable company ever."

The headline of this article was supposed to be attention-grabbing. Accuracy is sometimes a secondary objective in journalism, sadly.

Oh, and have you seen a doctor yet? Seriously, you need to talk to someone, it will be good for your long term investing, work and social life etc.

Have you considered how it reflects on your emotional health that you would jump at the opportunity to participate in someone else's personal attacks?

It's probably true that this experience is bad for my health, to be honest. This is a vicious, vitriolic community. Contrarian opinions - usually met with forthright and honest discourse in healthy, balanced circumstances - are instead met with ridicule and disdain. Bitcoin is riddled with infighting, unnecessary hostility, close-mindedness and tinfoil thinking, which is, on reflection, not good for the outlook of the whole ecosystem.

Edit: I got a little carried away with that oil-wizard thought experiment, since 25 million barrels a day would also give that operation the biggest revenue. 2.5 million barrels is a better example.
Activity: 476
September 16, 2013, 10:03:16 PM
(gen2 is too far to be the reason).

gen 2 could be ahead of schedule, or gen 1.5 is about to arrive...  Huh
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003
Still wild and free
September 16, 2013, 09:52:19 PM
Has anyone estimated the hashrate using what we know is solo, and the estimated franchise payments?

I don't think we know the exact details of the franchising percentages....they must make a bigger portion than ASICMiner gets.

I'm just wondering if the overall hashrate has actually increased behind the scene's with all these franchisors distributing the load quietly and solo mining appearing to stagnate or even drop.

Maybe it's at 150% already and we don't know it because it's all being done off-site.  

The last payment from franchisees shows that they have something like ~11TH. So, given that AM seems to mine at 30~40TH, it remains around 50TH overall as before (the small difference could be due to some hardware being moved). But I agree they seem to make some empty space at the moment, otherwise there is no reason to move hardware to franchisee since they earn necessarily less than if you mine yourself. The reason for this empty space (or volontarily low hash), remains a mystery atm, though. (gen2 is too far to be the reason).
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
September 16, 2013, 09:45:00 PM
Has anyone estimated the hashrate using what we know is solo, and the estimated franchise payments?

I don't think we know the exact details of the franchising percentages....they must make a bigger portion than ASICMiner gets.

I'm just wondering if the overall hashrate has actually increased behind the scene's with all these franchisors distributing the load quietly and solo mining appearing to stagnate or even drop.

Maybe it's at 150% already and we don't know it because it's all being done off-site. 

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.
September 16, 2013, 09:39:33 PM
many had tried to estimate value of AM. About a month after AM started hashing, they said 0.4 a share was crazy price and they miserably missed the bus. Which one has more risk to buy, now or at that time ?
Activity: 476
September 16, 2013, 09:36:37 PM
So, here is what I've been thinking....Friedcat is moving all the old hardware out to the franchisors offsite locations.
We saw some significant btc rolling in from those "leases" when the difficulty increased....and that would explain the solo mining hashrate stagnation/drop.

He maybe doesn't quite have the new hardware yet so he is hashing minimally to keep the shareholders from shitting their pants any more than they already are...and possibly making space for the new gen(?)

He isn't going to wait until the entire new gen arrives and plug it in, he likely doesn't have space or power resources for that.
So, it makes sense to move out the old and blend in the new as it rolls in.

yes, and also, current hardware is better sold than to mine with, really.
Jump to: