Author

Topic: ASICMINER Speculation Thread - page 124. (Read 808757 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
September 08, 2013, 02:31:13 AM

But not letting anyone know whether Gen 2 is on schedule or not... I do not see how that is defensible. Why should he not provide the information he has, and then provide updates if that information changes?

If he's got good news, I'd think he would share it. He was more talkative in the earlier days, which I really appreciated. I saw this pattern with Yifu... it's no guarantee of anything, but why the change?

I would say he has better things to do, and if you don't see how discretion is useful here, you should realise that this company is different to anything that has come before, and friedcat is writing the book on how to do it.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
Unlimited Free Crypto
September 08, 2013, 02:26:32 AM
I'd never claim that I am never wrong, but I spend at lot of energy trying to correct myself when I am. Being right 51% of the time in any market is enough to become quite wealthy, and I bet I can do a lot better than 51% around here.

In Bitcoin world being right 51% of the time means you are right all the time. Hell you can even change the past and fudge everything up!  Cheesy
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
September 08, 2013, 02:25:40 AM

AM Buying ad space, for first time? This is brilliant news.

Along with the remarkable current hash rate, which I can't believe is "luck", things are finally looking up again after a very average month or more.

Pity those people that sold under 3B a share. Pity even more those people that sold under 2.5B Wink
It's not the first time

Stand corrected.

Still, be very interesting to know what they will be selling and when? Certainly won't be "pre-selling" like everyone else.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
♫ the AM bear who cares ♫
September 08, 2013, 02:24:08 AM

Along with the remarkable current hash rate, which I can't believe is "luck", things are finally looking up again after a very average month or more.

Pity those people that sold under 3B a share. Pity even more those people that sold under 2.5B Wink

AD SPACE? HAIL FRIEDCAT, BUSINESS GENIUS.

Soon he shall rank among legends such as BFL.
September 08, 2013, 02:23:34 AM

Like the one from September 2? Did you read it?

This one?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3065505

Of course. There is no useful information for shareholders here, except that the design of the blades was changed slightly.

He's willing to put the time in to announce the new products, but the shareholders don't need to know whether Gen 2 is on schedule, or how much FC's costs are per blade.

That would scare the bejeezus out of me if I was long.

I understand that Friedcat has no intention of releasing any information that is not set in stone. He knows the manufacturing game, and costs and schedules can change.
No pre-orders, no bullshit.
This part of his business model, I believe, is one of the core elements to ASICMINERS success.
Discretion in such a cutting edge market has also been an invaluable business practice.

I do appreciate that he has not engaged in the pre-order crap. There is a lot of intangible value there.

But not letting anyone know whether Gen 2 is on schedule or not... I do not see how that is defensible. Why should he not provide the information he has, and then provide updates if that information changes?

If he's got good news, I'd think he would share it. He was more talkative in the earlier days, which I really appreciated. I saw this pattern with Yifu... it's no guarantee of anything, but why the change?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2390687
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2013118
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1731913
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1571278
https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/friedcat-49840
September 08, 2013, 02:21:13 AM

It's not the first time
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
September 08, 2013, 02:20:47 AM

September 08, 2013, 02:16:36 AM

This one?

Of course. There is no useful information for shareholders here, except that the design of the blades was changed slightly.

He's willing to put the time in to announce the new products, but the shareholders don't need to know whether Gen 2 is on schedule, or how much FC's costs are per blade.

I understand that Friedcat has no intention of releasing any information that is not set in stone. He knows the manufacturing game, and costs and schedules can change.
No pre-orders, no bullshit.
This part of his business model, I believe, is one of the core elements to ASICMINERS success.
Discretion in such a cutting edge market has also been an invaluable business practice.
September 08, 2013, 02:13:45 AM

This one?

Well I don't want to continue being cantankerous, but missing the idea that they are selling hardware is quite a large oversight.

I didn't think they'd stopped selling hardware - I thought resellers were taking preorders and the new blades were due in week or two. That isn't very important to my thesis, but I'm glad I know now, since I won't be surprised by the stronger dividend.

I did make a mistake, obviously.
September 08, 2013, 02:11:20 AM

This one?

Well I don't want to continue being cantankerous, but missing the idea that they are selling hardware is quite a large oversight.
September 08, 2013, 02:09:17 AM

This one?

Update
There hasn't been a huge hardware dividend payoff: is it because of reduced margins, or delays?
Because we are collecting funds to get ready for the exponentially increased devices to be assembled in September and October.

Do you think maybe more than a sentence was justified here?
September 08, 2013, 02:06:36 AM
Well, shit. Thanks - I guess I thought there was a delivery gap between the new and old blade models and nothing was currently selling. Guess not.

It could very well just be an advertisement for the new blades, then.
This puts your lessons on reading comprehension and claims of being a well informed investor into clear perspective.

Oh, yes, definitely. The constantly changing and nearly impenetrable reseller threads are my primary focus in evaluating AM's fundamental value, and the avoidance of the 1-2 weeks of backlog I expected greatly alters my estimation of their potential profits.

I'd never claim that I am never wrong, but I spend at lot of energy trying to correct myself when I am. Being right 51% of the time in any market is enough to become quite wealthy, and I bet I can do a lot better than 51% around here.

I wouldn't expect you to claim you are wrong directly either Smiley

Public companies are required BY LAW to hold annual in-person shareholder meetings, and quarterly conference calls. Most companies go far beyond that and hold frequent events and Q&A sessions for investors, as well as press releases. For many companies the CEO's primary job is investor relations - the COO and operations folks take care of the day-to-day.

you can't be serious to expect this comfort from a small company like AsicMiner in a chaotic market like that.
You realize that friedcat even personally refreshed the list of direct shareholders in the past?
Ever seen a CEO do that?
This is a small company with potential in a growing market. Give it some time.

Do you know why those other hardware companys like Avalon or BFL don't ipo and sell shares?
They take preorders as loanfree credits to produce some promised hardware that will be delievered whenever they want to.

You're right, I expect more communication in a high-risk, dynamic market. The time investment to keep shareholders up to date is negligible. It doesn't have to be a pretty report every time, just a blog or update post.

September 08, 2013, 02:03:16 AM
Public companies are required BY LAW to hold annual in-person shareholder meetings, and quarterly conference calls. Most companies go far beyond that and hold frequent events and Q&A sessions for investors, as well as press releases. For many companies the CEO's primary job is investor relations - the COO and operations folks take care of the day-to-day.

you can't be serious to expect this comfort from a small company like AsicMiner in a chaotic market like that.
You realize that friedcat even personally refreshed the list of direct shareholders in the past?
Ever seen a CEO do that?

Do you know why those other hardware companys like Avalon or BFL don't ipo and sell shares?
They take preorders as loanfree credits to produce some promised hardware that will be delievered whenever they want to.

You're right, I expect more communication in a high-risk, dynamic market. The time investment to keep shareholders up to date is negligible. It doesn't have to be a pretty report every time, just a blog or update post.

And the market isn't growing, dude. The market has actually shrunk from a fundamental size of 300 BTC/hour to 150 BTC/hour. All of the companies have to fight over that.

If Friedcat was able to make the bid on Bitcointalk, why not make a post saying what it was for? This is the behavior I expect out of Yifu, not FC.
September 08, 2013, 02:02:53 AM
Well, shit. Thanks - I guess I thought there was a delivery gap between the new and old blade models and nothing was currently selling. Guess not.

This puts your lessons on reading comprehension and claims of being a well informed investor into clear perspective.

Oh, yes, definitely. The constantly changing and nearly impenetrable reseller threads are my primary focus in evaluating AM's fundamental value, and the avoidance of the 1-2 weeks of backlog I expected greatly alters my estimation of their potential profits.

Activity: 770
Merit: 501
September 08, 2013, 02:00:14 AM

Ever seen a CEO do that?

September 08, 2013, 01:59:27 AM

September 08, 2013, 01:56:36 AM
Well, shit. Thanks - I guess I thought there was a delivery gap between the new and old blade models and nothing was currently selling (or it was just reseller pre-orders). Guess not.

September 08, 2013, 01:52:03 AM
Alright, give me option 3 I didn't consider.
Blades aren't sold out perhaps? Where did you read that?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3028437

Only with ASICMiner could I fathom shareholders freaking out about the company buying advertising space, as if it's somehow extraordinary. It's insane. The irrationality is palpable.
nice edit
September 08, 2013, 01:46:57 AM
I assume one can still buy in quantity direct from the manufacturer.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
September 08, 2013, 01:44:46 AM
Alright, give me option 3 I didn't consider.
Blades aren't sold out perhaps? Where did you read that?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3028437
That was a runout on the old overclockable model.

OK, which reseller is currently selling blades or has an ETA on blades?

I'm serious - I was under the impression none are/do. I'd appreciate it if anyone could correct that assumption.
https://2asic.com/
Jump to: