Author

Topic: ASICMINER Speculation Thread - page 123. (Read 808757 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 501
September 08, 2013, 04:46:10 AM
This is a game of degrees, not wrong or right. Nobody knows with certainty. You can only evaluate your odds by examining many factors, and this is a factor I think people are overlooking (while getting excited about things that don't matter, like advertisements).

If I'm evaluating my odds i see an investment for one of the few companies for mining hardware that
- hasn't broken any promises or shipped overdue/shitty products to its customers (compared to most of the rest of the market)
- currently holds 10% of the network hashrate
- didn't take preorders to finance 2nd gen production (compared to every other company on the market)
- doesn't need to brag about data of unfinished products because there's no need for advertising to get preorder money
- has a good (if not the best) brand reputation in the small mining community  

These degrees feel quite good for my taste of security in a wildly speculated high-risk market.

oh and while I'm at it let me evaluate...
user
- is short on AM
- is concerned when AM buys advertising space  Huh
- seems resistant to any positive news and instantly bad-mouthes them.
(irrespictive of the fact that there were no negative news besides growing competition (=based on promises for unreleased products), low divs because of 2nd gen investment and partially low hashrate charts in the last weeks)
- has ridiculous demands for shareholders' comfort from a small startup company (that isn't even given by big companies in a regular market), just to ease his position  Roll Eyes
- not informed on present delievery status of AM's product portfolio
- sometimes has a postcount of more than 50% per page on a speculation thread
- starts to seed doubts on company's reliability without any proof when he runs out of arguments ignoring the fact that he's just adressing fundamental risks that every shareholder should already be aware of in the first place.  
- tends to get an sarcastic undertone after broad criticism and continues preaching his standpoint instead of confessing several flaws in his argumentation to allow a constructive discussion

you really seemed like a good counterbalance at first but shifting focus of a thread by constant posting from a goodlooking hashrate chart and decent news on advertising back to two pages of argumentation for your distorted standpoint is really the icing of the cake.

congrats and welcome to my ignorelist (with your rate of being quoted it won't help though)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
September 08, 2013, 04:43:10 AM
Yeah, OK, that invalidates everything else.

At least I double-checked that they were indeed not selling, since I knew I was not sure.
huh?

how much of this fund will be spent on crack cocaine?
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
September 08, 2013, 04:38:46 AM
Thanks for the kind words.

Based on the input I have been receiving, I will start exploring the possibility. There will be an announcement in the near future one way or another.

Great!
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
♫ the AM bear who cares ♫
September 08, 2013, 04:36:39 AM
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not
Not sarcasm, I meant it!

(I think you may be one of the people I options from... sorry)
Np, it's like a match, you won, I'm fine with that ; )

Very recently I have been exploring the idea of starting a "short derivatives" platform.
[...]
This market desperately needs adequate opportunities for short interest.
It is nice to give people some opportunity to have short positions, but I don't think this would be the ideal method.
It feels slightly more complex than writing and buying options, and I doubt there are many people who deal in options at all.
I think it would be better to just manage a fund: you collect coins, you invest them as you feel, you give people dividends if you manage to be successful, you take a cut.

Thanks for the kind words.

Based on the input I have been receiving, I will start exploring the possibility. There will be an announcement in the near future one way or another.
September 08, 2013, 04:26:14 AM

Perhaps you are right, and it is something innocuous, but you are definitely wrong not to entertain the possibility he is becoming less forthcoming with shareholder updates for the same reason we saw with Yifu.

This is a game of degrees, not wrong or right. Nobody knows with certainty. You can only evaluate your odds by examining many factors, and this is a factor I think people are overlooking (while getting excited about things that don't matter, like advertisements).

What particular possible similarity with Yifu are you considering?
I think it was you that got most excited about the ads, nutjob.

Fewer and fewer updates as the news got worse and worse. That was Yifu's pattern, at least. Just saying - keep your eyes open, metadata is data.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3105250
Vycid , is that you first time know about FC, he always very quiet...if you like CEO talk a lot , go to get some shares of Activemining,  Ken is 24 HRs online....

No. He has RECENTLY become quiet, despite the fact there is just as much to discuss as ever - if not more, given the rise of a huge field of competition.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/friedcat-49840

Fewer and fewer updates as the news got worse and worse. That was Yifu's pattern, at least. Just saying - keep your eyes open, metadata is data.

Eyes open? You weren't even aware ASICMINER has blades for sale.

Yeah, OK, that invalidates everything else.

At least I double-checked that they were indeed not selling, since I knew I was not sure.
September 08, 2013, 04:21:53 AM

Eyes open? You weren't even aware ASICMINER has blades for sale.
Activity: 378
September 08, 2013, 04:20:22 AM

Perhaps you are right, and it is something innocuous, but you are definitely wrong not to entertain the possibility he is becoming less forthcoming with shareholder updates for the same reason we saw with Yifu.

Vycid , is that you first time know about FC, he always very quiet...if you like CEO talk a lot , go to get some shares of Activemining,  Ken is 24 HRs online....
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
September 08, 2013, 04:11:41 AM
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not
Not sarcasm, I meant it!

(I think you may be one of the people I options from... sorry)
Np, it's like a match, you won, I'm fine with that ; )

Very recently I have been exploring the idea of starting a "short derivatives" platform.
[...]
This market desperately needs adequate opportunities for short interest.
It is nice to give people some opportunity to have short positions, but I don't think this would be the ideal method.
It feels slightly more complex than writing and buying options, and I doubt there are many people who deal in options at all.
I think it would be better to just manage a fund: you collect coins, you invest them as you feel, you give people dividends if you manage to be successful, you take a cut.
September 08, 2013, 04:04:59 AM

September 08, 2013, 03:25:47 AM

September 08, 2013, 03:17:16 AM

FC wasn't mining as much earlier this year, you mean?

He still finds time to make posts, they just avoid important topics and are not very useful to shareholders.
There are a multitude of reasons why some degree of discretion is advisable.

Project Timeline

August-September: Deploy/sell all hashpower arriving in July and early August.
September-November: Deploy/sell the hashpower ordered at early July.
November-December: Experimental products of 2nd-gen chips and modular large-scale deployment solutions.
Concise, and no bullshit.
How would giving more info than this help the company?
You might enjoy it for playing your little trading games, but it won't help ASICMINER.

Then why did he provide so much information in the past? Did you scroll through this?

It is a change in habit and there should be a lot of news. It strikes me as very odd.

They must be very busy, and don't need to give competitors info.
And secondly, back in March, the company structure was different by the fact that they were directing all dividends to the initial public investors, and so in a way, they had more responsibility to shareholders then.
Now it's all gravy and they have no resonsibility to provide information just to satisfy traders on third party exchanges.

September 08, 2013, 03:10:50 AM

He still finds time to make posts, they just avoid important topics and are not very useful to shareholders.

Project Timeline

November-December: Experimental products of 2nd-gen chips and modular large-scale deployment solutions.
You might enjoy it for playing your little trading games, but it won't help ASICMINER.

Then why did he provide so much information in the past? Did you scroll through this?

It is a change in habit and there should be a lot of news. It strikes me as very odd.

They must be very busy, and don't need to give competitors info.
And secondly, back in March, the company structure was different by the fact that they were directing all dividends to the initial public investors, and so in a way, they had more responsibility to shareholders then.
Now it's all gravy and they have no resonsibility to provide information just to satisfy traders on third party exchanges.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
September 08, 2013, 03:07:01 AM
I'd never claim that I am never wrong, but I spend at lot of energy trying to correct myself when I am. Being right 51% of the time in any market is enough to become quite wealthy, and I bet I can do a lot better than 51% around here.

In Bitcoin world being right 51% of the time means you are right all the time. Hell you can even change the past and fudge everything up!  Cheesy

Nice one Lophie Smiley

Friedcat works on what he does and aims to meets schedule and that's whats important that and we designated the Shareholder FAQ to direct all questions too so he doesn't reply much in the time between them and as an aside personal security is still important last time I checked.
Since it's September stuff is getting assembled I presume.
Still watches the schedule.
September 08, 2013, 03:04:48 AM

Project Timeline

Edit:

You'll like this. In MARCH, no less, when he was an already an order of magnitude more talkative than he is now.

But please give some more informations to the shareholders so they dont have to guess so much fruitlessly... i mean writing a post is a matter of some minutes only...
Of course. And indeed, sorry for the inefficiency of contact these days.
September 08, 2013, 03:01:53 AM

Project Timeline

September 08, 2013, 02:52:48 AM
Are you aware of some of the security issues the avalon team experienced?

You mean when someone visited Yifu's parents' house trying to get into contact with him?

Oh dear, I hope nobody has visited Friedcat's parents. It might derail the whole project.

Let me elaborate on my understanding of what happened - a buyer in China was seeking to get a contract on paper with the Avalon team. The Avalon team was not communicating, and the buyer, frustrated, went to Yifu's parents seeking a way to get in contact with him (this was over the line, I agree, but not necessarily malicious).

Yifu cites this as the reason they their chips are months late. I suspect these things have little or nothing to do with each other.

I am glad he takes his security seriously, but it is an excuse and nothing more. I wish he would assume responsibility.

Anyway, when people become less communicative in Bitcoin-land I consider it a warning sign. No guarantee, but I've seen it before. Friedcat was always happy to share his news before.

He also wasn't mining quite as much bitcoin then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPVttJZfKWk   0:40

This bears repeating, just in terms of how terse it is.

Update
There hasn't been a huge hardware dividend payoff: is it because of reduced margins, or delays?
Because we are collecting funds to get ready for the exponentially increased devices to be assembled in September and October.
September 08, 2013, 02:48:57 AM

You mean when someone visited Yifu's parents' house trying to get into contact with him?

Oh dear, I hope nobody has visited Friedcat's parents. It might derail the whole project.

Let me elaborate on my understanding of what happened - a buyer in China was seeking to get a contract on paper with the Avalon team. The Avalon team was not communicating, and the buyer, frustrated, went to Yifu's parents seeking a way to get in contact with him (this was over the line, I agree, but not necessarily malicious).

Yifu cites this as the reason they their chips are months late. I suspect these things have little or nothing to do with each other.

I am glad he takes his security seriously, but it is an excuse and nothing more. I wish he would assume responsibility.

Anyway, when people become less communicative in Bitcoin-land I consider it a warning sign. No guarantee, but I've seen it before. Friedcat was always happy to share his news before.

He also wasn't mining quite as much bitcoin then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPVttJZfKWk   0:40

September 08, 2013, 02:37:18 AM

Anyway, when people become less communicative in Bitcoin-land I consider it a warning sign. No guarantee, but I've seen it before. In the past, it seemed that Friedcat was always happy to share his news.
September 08, 2013, 02:34:58 AM
September 08, 2013, 02:33:08 AM

But not letting anyone know whether Gen 2 is on schedule or not... I do not see how that is defensible. Why should he not provide the information he has, and then provide updates if that information changes?

If he's got good news, I'd think he would share it. He was more talkative in the earlier days, which I really appreciated. I saw this pattern with Yifu... it's no guarantee of anything, but why the change?

I would say he has better things to do, and if you don't see how discretion is useful here, you should realise that this company is different to anything that has come before, and friedcat is writing the book on how to do it.

Utter, utter bullshit. Look at all the times in the past, when he was still trying to get Gen 1 off the ground and was probably even BUSIER, when he still found the chance to update his shareholders.

Why has this type of information flow ceased?

Jump to: