Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread - page 8. (Read 438335 times)

Activity: 429
Merit: 250
November 05, 2015, 05:57:57 PM
Why are these so expensive?  

There is only one competitor on the market currently. I think the prices are right in line to be honest... it would always be nice to get them cheaper but I don't think there are any market forces that would push the mfg to get the price down at this point.

So, less hashrate, less efficiency, need to provide your own controller, AND more expensive than the other competitor?  Who's lining up to buy these?

I wouldn't count the cost of the Pi in there. It can be resold and should be suitable for all current and future Avalon miners you stock. Like a PSU, its not consumed or proprietary, unlike an SP20 or S7 control board.

thats a good point dogie thanks for bringing it up.

oh a few have asked about that 1500 watt psu.

this one goes from 10 to 13.5 volts 87% efficient

https://www.trcelectronics.com/ecomm/pdf/rsp1500.pdf

I have been using it here and there.  A guy on ebay was selling them at a good price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MeanWell-Power-Supply-Rsp-1500-12-/191732204742?
I got one on ebay for a good price.

So a PSU that can be adjusted is required to undervolt/underclock the avalon6?

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
November 05, 2015, 05:40:20 PM

There is only one competitor on the market currently. I think the prices are right in line to be honest... it would always be nice to get them cheaper but I don't think there are any market forces that would push the mfg to get the price down at this point.

So, less hashrate, less efficiency, need to provide your own controller, AND more expensive than the other competitor?  Who's lining up to buy these?

I wouldn't count the cost of the Pi in there. It can be resold and should be suitable for all current and future Avalon miners you stock. Like a PSU, its not consumed or proprietary, unlike an SP20 or S7 control board.

Also being able to go to a computer store or amazon one and have it next day or 2-3 days even is a huge bonus.  A lot use custom controllers and its a huge pain to get a replacement quick, and you have down gear waiting on a cheap part.

With the RPI you can replace it very easy.  And easy to back up the image which is great aswell.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
November 05, 2015, 05:34:34 PM

So, less hashrate, less efficiency, need to provide your own controller, AND more expensive than the other competitor?  Who's lining up to buy these?

thats a good point dogie thanks for bringing it up.

oh a few have asked about that 1500 watt psu.

this one goes from 10 to 13.5 volts 87% efficient

I have been using it here and there.  A guy on ebay was selling them at a good price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MeanWell-Power-Supply-Rsp-1500-12-/191732204742?
I got one on ebay for a good price.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
November 05, 2015, 03:50:47 PM

So, less hashrate, less efficiency, need to provide your own controller, AND more expensive than the other competitor?  Who's lining up to buy these?

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
aka "whocares"
November 05, 2015, 03:46:15 PM
I had a great conversation with Philipma1957.  Super nice guy with a ton of knowledge.   I am going to sell a few of my first batch upon arrival here.  I expect them to arrive late next week.

legendary
November 05, 2015, 03:42:12 PM

The  rasp pi is an advantage not a disadvantage.

An s-7 controller dies and 4.8th lost.

A rasp pi dies and your spare pi with your spare sd card is put in. down time under  ½ hour

your rasp pi run 5 of these easy using 1 ethernet wire.

The key to this gear is does it under volt and down clock. If it does it has staying power.

I talked with kilo17 today he may be able to get these next week.  It would be an order not a pre order.
He seems legit I liked him.  I will post more later.

I would get one
 Maybe Valkir

We will post reviews and details if all works well.

I really want to see if it handles low volts.

This  psu

http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/RSP-1500-12.shtml

this psu

http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/HRP-600-12.shtml

https://www.trcelectronics.com/ecomm/pdf/hrp600.pdf

both on hand  for undervolt tests

legendary
aka "whocares"
November 05, 2015, 03:39:13 PM

I sold all my S7's and I am going with the Avalon 6 for a variety of reasons.  

1 - USA distributer and warranty
2 - Try to buy an S7 - right now they have the batch 7 that are 4 Th and cost $1658 and is probably $1750 all said and done.
3 - S7 - $437.50/Th and the Avalon6 is $410/Th
4- Easily under clocked which means longer life.

I think your facts are wrong.

Oh yeah- 1 RasPi can control up to 40 Avalon6
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
OregonMines Official Account
November 05, 2015, 03:34:14 PM

Bitmain has a 1 month lead time for the next batch of S7's, which is now rated at 4.05TH/s
Activity: 180
Merit: 100
November 05, 2015, 03:24:39 PM

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1080
November 05, 2015, 03:17:32 PM

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
November 05, 2015, 01:39:30 PM
Activity: 209
November 05, 2015, 08:19:06 AM
I am also interested in participating in the Avalon6 group buy if any of the units happen to not be spoken for.
legendary
November 05, 2015, 12:44:17 AM
I am going to get in touch with phillipma and try and work out something guys--

I will call you 1pm eastern standard time on thur to see what we can do.
Activity: 767
Merit: 500
November 04, 2015, 11:31:17 PM
is it just me and having my face full of gekkoscience, or did this just come out without any press?

Hell, can me or Sidehack get our hands on these A3218s? and even better, why is A3218 all about a Flight .. wait, must add Avalon at the front of the search..
legendary
aka "whocares"
November 04, 2015, 06:11:24 PM
I am going to get in touch with phillipma and try and work out something guys--
legendary
Activity: 1050
November 04, 2015, 05:18:23 PM
id be interested in a couple.. if they can downclock and if they are on par with 4.1 noise levels they would be perfect home heat this winter
legendary
aka "whocares"
November 04, 2015, 04:36:17 PM
I just got off the phone with Yan at Blockc and he said it was OK if people wanted to piggyback units off my order.  I currently have an order of units coming from the first shipment and will be placing an order for more on the second shipment that arrives 1 week later.  I have spoke to a few people here already and if there is interest please don't hesitate to contact me.
legendary
aka "whocares"
November 03, 2015, 10:21:21 PM
ld love to be able to jump in on a buy of a couple of these units. What do I need to do to make that happen? I cant order all 10 of the MOQ myself haha

I have placed a fairly large order (for a little guy) with BlockC and could potentially piggyback some on my order.  I have discussed that option with a couple of people here and logistically it is difficult.  

Here are the problems from my perspective- I will not pay in advance for a bunch of miners for other people.  Although the payments could be held in escrow, I would still need to front the money and I am not going to pay in advance and have the funds held in escrow with that kind of money. Since I have paid for my miners already I am not willing to risk going out on a limb with an escrow agent.  Additionally, I don't see Avalon or BlockC sending out the units before payment.  So, that only leaves the option of sending payment to me first and I do not expect people to want to do that either.  

Ultimately, someone would be taking a risk and under the circumstances I am not going to be that person.  I do not expect people to want to risk money sending it to me and I do not want to risk my money either.

If someone has a suggestion I would be willing to try and help out.

Price has already increased twice in the last week on the Avalon6 and I do not see it getting any cheaper soon.
Activity: 219
Bitcoin Mining Hosting
November 03, 2015, 10:19:07 PM
I am willing to get one or two avalon 6 pieces  for me and help with a USA 10 piece  buy.

You want to set this up Philpma1957 ? Use any escrow. I can sell you 10 right now or smaller amounts. We'll be keeping a # of boxes for internal mining / testing etc outside of client needs. I like your reviews of machines, and these boxes set the benchmark.
legendary
November 03, 2015, 10:13:48 PM
I am willing to get one or two avalon 6 pieces  for me and help with a USA 10 piece  buy.
Pages:
Jump to: