Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon is (unfortunately) a scam. Here is why. - page 10. (Read 37929 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
I can understand them not posting a tracking number.
I did not asked for this.
If they had a tracking number, they would know whatever or not Jeff will receive the stuff by the 31. They do not.

Well I don't know if it is a scam or not (and don't really care) but I am sure all ASIC and FPGA boards have custom PSU.
Ok, -1.
Activity: 79
Merit: 10
I can understand them not posting a tracking number.

For most carriers, the tracking number shows the destination of the shipment. Posting the tracking number would violate Jeff's privacy.
If anyone should post the tracking number, it's Jeff, but to be honest if I were in his position I would not post this number.

What I *MIGHT* do is make a post saying "I'm Jeff, I've received the tracking number and I'm tracking the package. It sure seems like SOMETHING is on its way to me."

However even doing this would involve himself in the politics/drama/furor on this forum about Avalon.
As if he doesn't have enough politicking with his role as dev and his appearances on vlogs to answer questions about Bitcoin...

One thing I *CAN* say about Avalon...
They have spent practically $0 on marketing, yet everyone in our community is talking about their product. That is extremely successful if you ask me.
They're using one of the best rules in advertising: less is more.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Well I don't know if it is a scam or not (and don't really care) but I am sure all ASIC and FPGA boards have a DC to DC PSU.

No not the 120VAC -> 12VDC ATX PSU but the board level PSU that converts that 12VDC supplied by the ATX power supply to xVDC used by the board level components.  Nothing in the computer world actually runs at 12V so the boards need to step down the voltage supplied by ATX PSU.  Unlike ATX AC->DC PSU there is no one size fits all because the amount of current, regulation, and voltage is going to vary from component to component.  Your motherboard (and video cards) have a DC to DC PSU for this exact reason.  
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Taking a risk to be at the cutting edge is not a problem. They're asking everyone to discount what they've said previously and suspend their own common sense...this is a problem. None of this passes the smell test, but I doubt they'll have much trouble finding 500 people to send them $1500.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
I think they've made clear that their counter-argument is going to be coming in a box with fans and ASICs in it. I'm just getting the popcorn. Being at the cutting edge of mining is a high-risk venture.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
Thanks for pointing these things out. I want to see the Avalon team's counter-argument for this.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
I spent a lot of time during the last days (or weeks) on the forums considering a big investment on the Avalon ASIC. I tough that even if my english is far from perfect, i should have opened this thread explaining my reasons to people that didn't have the time to spend here as i did.

1) Jeff will not receive its order before the batch starts selling
If you pay 400$ to ship something (rumors are that the custom agent was corrupted to let the Avalon unit pass trough) you get a tracking number. God, i just spent 400$ to ship something, i need to know where it is in real time. I need to know when it will arrive. If the parcel was to arrive before the second batch, Avalon would know it and would be confident about it. They are instead suggesting you that hey, you might lose your place on the second batch if you wait for Jeff.

2) They need to order components before this weekend because they cleaned the market out of resistors and capacitors
Hell, yes. We need components! You know, this stuff is hard to find and it takes 4 week to have it. What kind of components? Sci-Fiction stuff? No, resistors. RESISTORS! Once that Avalon discovered the community is smart enough to realize that you can't run out of resistors in China, they changed the supposed-missing components to mosfets and "inductor". People that know their stuff better than i do thinks that the only pratical use for mosfets in the Avalon is to build a custom PSU. Something that doesn't make any sense. You have problems building the Avalon, you don't need to get things worse house-producing a PSU.
They could have said that they need to have some other chips from the FAB and that the fab will work during the CNY (i don't think that intel closes its productions line on their multi billion dollars fabs during the holidays). That would have made sense to me.

3) They will not publish a video of the Avalon mining before the batch starts selling
The original plan was to post it before the end of the 2012. No one saw it. It simply dosen't exist. There is no reasons not to show a little video of the Avalon mining if it does exist. This recalls me Tom when he didn't want to post pictures of the chips he should own.

4) They will not try to smash the network for a small period with their 100 ASIC to prove that they are out there
Just turn them on for 2 hours, we would notice. They didn't do this. They will not.

5)

Did they told you (chinese customers) the reason of the delay in shipping? It cannot be customs there.

No, I personally have heard no Chinese customers receiving their products. There was no explanation in this post.

I will change my idea if:
1) There is a video of the Avalon mining that convinces me and my standards
2) Jeff receives the Avalon at least 6 hours before the second batch, so that he has the time to show us something.

The BS about keeping the competition at the obscure of the fabulous progresses the Avalon team did in the dark field of the ASICs doesn't hold anymore.

I hope my thread to be appreciated. By no reasons i want to troll. I wanted to be a customer.
Pages:
Jump to: