Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon is (unfortunately) a scam. Here is why. - page 5. (Read 37929 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
Looks like Jeff received his package...
Should I hold my breath waiting for those crying scam to apologise? Wink
I apologize.

However my dubs where more than founded. I'm happy that this is an event that was described in my first post, Jeff receiving the unit at least 6 hours before the preorder starts.

I'm really happy of it.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Litecoin Core Developer
Looks like Jeff received his package...
Should I hold my breath waiting for those crying scam to apologise? Wink
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Just because a few outliers may respond that way doesn't mean it reflects the majority opinion. Avalon had the best reputation of all the vendors. Recently that's been taking a tremendous beating and not without justification. Their behavior has changed dramatically since their shipping date came and went.
Lets hope the level of proof comes and some fears are put to rest. (among the sane of mind at least)

Unfortunately, by opening their batch 2 order window tomorrow and making comments such as this:

A demonstration will come by a customer very soon, if you wish to wait until then, go ahead; but you then run into the risk of not making into batch #2

They're forcing people to make choices they shouldn't have to make and that ramps up the animosity. What do you suppose the chances are of an independent review of Avalon appearing today? When that doesn't happen folks will have to go on what they know about Avalon currently to make their decision about batch 2 purchases.
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
... Their behavior has changed dramatically since their shipping date came and went.
This, +1

If their only concern now is not being worst than BFL we're in deep trouble.

Whatever problem they have shipping this out of the country could be solved by renting a space and having the hardware mine for customers minus a fee. ...

That would only require ~68amp of 220v  Roll Eyes

I'm eager to hear what their problem is / was.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003
Just because a few outliers may respond that way doesn't mean it reflects the majority opinion. Avalon had the best reputation of all the vendors. Recently that's been taking a tremendous beating and not without justification. Their behavior has changed dramatically since their shipping date came and went.
Lets hope the level of proof comes and some fears are put to rest. (among the sane of mind at least)
legendary
My Theory:

Avalon releases picture of a box (back end)
Response: It is a box of fans!

Avalon releases picture at a different angle.
Then releases pictures of a stat page.

Response: Kano says it looks like legitimate output and remarks on the revision number and date.
Response: Everyone else says nothing. Others say it is "FAKE!", "DOCTORED", "Photoshopped".

Jeff gets his review done after he gets the unit.
Response: Oh that nice, (4 seconds later) But this proves nothing. It only proves that it is one of two boxes. No, it is actually just one box. The REST DON'T WORK!

BitCoin Foundation gets theirs.
Response: WTF is mine!?

First 4 customers get theirs.
Response: WTF, Where are ours?! This is BS! They won't ship the rest!

Next 10 customers get theirs.
Response: Holy MF...Only 10?

Next 100 customers get theirs.
Response: Whatever, I bet they have boxes hidden somewhere and are mining with the other 200+ boards.

Last 200 customers get theirs.
Response: WTF! Where are my Batch 2 orders you SOB?

Feb 20th comes around.
Response: WTF? I bet they ran off with the money.

etc etc.
I agree. I think they had problems and hope to fix it. If this is the case, I wish they'd just come clean.
legendary
And now the next question will be, why in earth they plan to convert to usd if they want to run with the money? The answer is that they will not IMO run with the money, they simply had production problem they hope to fix with this money.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Avalon just wants BTC sent to an address (as far as we've been told)...which is incredibly sketchy.

Umm. Where did you read this?

Certainly Avalon will be using a payment processor like Bitpay or a similar processor. That just doesn't make since to me.
They will be using WalletBit. (Not some anonymous address)

My apologies for spreading FUD, seems I missed that part.

Adjusted original post.
legendary
Avalon just wants BTC sent to an address (as far as we've been told)...which is incredibly sketchy.

Certainly Avalon will be using a payment processor like Bitpay or a similar processor. That just doesn't make since to me.
They will be using WalletBit. (Not some anonymous address)
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust

legendary
I feel that the conditions for Avalon's batch #2 don't seem to make any sort of financial or business sense. I'm actually really curious as to how they plan to get a vendor to accept 100k + of BTC and what the heck any vendor would do with such a large amount of BTC. Dumping it on the markets would simply devalue it and holding on it would not pay the bills.

Exactly! BFL utilizes BitPay to convert any BTC payments right to USD so they can cover their bills. Avalon just wants BTC sent to an address (as far as we've been told)...which is incredibly sketchy WalletBit. Not to mention I  doubt their mysterious supplier accepts Bitcoin to begin with...though it is possible, don't get me wrong.

From my point of view, this reeks of business incompetence...and we've seen how that turns out for other companies, from GLBSE to bASIC.
legendary
He's been here since Christmas Eve man! ...obviously knows everything there is to know about all the principles. Roll Eyes

Ha, I know right. There's been quite a number of defensive newbies coming around all of a sudden. Seems suspicious Wink

Or maybe we're just jaded after being here for quite some time...  Cheesy

BFL: Oh shit! They showed a screenshot!
BFL:
BFL: Send in our Newbie clones! (Ala Star Wars)
Josh-Mual: We shall let our customers know of our delay in, I.N.C.R.E.M.E.N.T.S.

(Joking only)
legendary
It should be clear to everyone by now that producing an ASIC miner is significantly more difficult than producing FPGAs. Therefore evidence of successful FPGA products is not firm evidence that vendor xyz is capable of producing an ASIC mining device.

Yes, it was the way i was gonna reply.

I also have no idea ho how they plan to convert 50kBTC to $ in a few hours without touching the market.

But hell, tomorrow is gonna be a hell of a day for the market.
It should be clear to everyone by now that producing an ASIC miner is significantly more difficult than producing FPGAs. Therefore evidence of successful FPGA products is not firm evidence that vendor xyz is capable of producing an ASIC mining device.
Activity: 249
I may be jaded, but I'm pretty sure sockpuppets exist. I saw one riding a unicorn just a bit ago. Tongue
+1

They are also too easy by far to detect. The result is confirming that I don't want to have nothing to so with avalon anymore.

@ cedivad:

Edit: bah I'm tired... Walletbit is the payment processor.
legendary
I may be jaded, but I'm pretty sure sockpuppets exist. I saw one riding a unicorn just a bit ago. Tongue
+1

They are also too easy by far to detect. The result is confirming that I don't want to have nothing to so with avalon anymore.
legendary
He's been here since Christmas Eve man! ...obviously knows everything there is to know about all the principles. Roll Eyes

Ha, I know right. There's been quite a number of defensive newbies coming around all of a sudden. Seems suspicious Wink

Or maybe we're just jaded after being here for quite some time...  Cheesy

Pages:
Jump to: