Pages:
Author

Topic: Avalon is (unfortunately) a scam. Here is why. - page 9. (Read 37929 times)

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
So... don't pre-order from Batch #2 until there is evidence of working devices.

That is my plan at least... no one HAS to order anything...
staff
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419
Question to forum administration: maybe this is right moment to ask Avalon stuff to publish proof of Avalon ASIC existance or shut down any (possible) scam activity?
I will try to explain myself.
Generally the forum does not play the scam hunting game. It could never do as good a job protecting you as the lump of great matter between your ears— but if it does a half-assed job perhaps you'll think you're safe when you're really not.  Stuff usually only gets binned/marked as a scam when its so obvious that the scam attempt amounts to spam or when it's generally considered as proven.  Buyer beware.

BitSyncom used this forum to advertise its product, got preorders on this forum, used forum to keep (or not) customers informed about order status... But more than one week after we didn't saw any evidence that product were shipped... even more: existed.
There actually exists more evidence than they are making public, I don't really understand their PR strategy.   It seems to me that the particular approach they are taking will bias the costs and rewards to the more irrational risk takers in the community— and I don't know that its a good thing. But they did point to the extreme time costs of dealing with the public, and I certainly see the point there.

Personally, based on what I know, I think it is unlikely to be a scam. But it doesn't need to be a scam to have problems and there are clearly some problems— if nothing else then in the shipping and funding of the next batch. Keep in mind that I'm a batch #1 customer too, so I may be a victim of a bit of hopeful thinking. At the same time: I have never been scammed, I have correctly identified and avoided many scams in the Bitcoin community, and I'm saying this even though Avalon hasn't been responding to my emails in the past week  (Unfortunately their shipping delays have put their shipping right on top of a cross country move for me,  and the complete uncertainty with respect to shipping times means I can't schedule my flights to be around to receive the hardware— so I'm likely going to have to pay someone to camp out at my old address until the parcels arrive).

I will not, however, be placing a second batch order— but I don't know how much of this is because "unlikely" isn't good enough for my personal scam tolerance vs the fact that my first batch order satisfied my current interest in 110nm ASIC miners. Probably more the latter— as I'd probably consider loaning money to them
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Clown prophet
There is no evidence whether BFL or Avalon are scams.

They both could be, they both could not be.

But, I don't agree with throwing one under the bus for that reason without solid evidence.

Why can't we wait a week to see if anyone receives an ASIC before making these types of threads?
They ask money. They must proove they are not scammers. Presumption of innocence doesnt work here.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
Why can't we wait a week to see if anyone receives an ASIC before making these types of threads?
Because on thursday they will get 700 * 1500$ worth of preorders.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
There is no evidence whether BFL or Avalon are scams.

They both could be, they both could not be.

But, I don't agree with throwing one under the bus for that reason without solid evidence.

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
His computer will only work in NYC? This blows my mind!
He either checks the connecting ip or has the certificates on a pc there.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
No shipping/tracking information has been sent to me, privately or publicly, as of this writing.

No private communications since Jan 20.

Forum readers know as much as I know, at this point.

For the record, at this time, I do not think Avalon or BFL are scams.

Have I been browsing the wrong forum of something?  Huh

I, too, trust Jeff, and was about to post the following via quoting the post above the one I did quote, for this one's better.

Just got to post #4 and opted to comment here than pollute the (insert adjective here) thread.

I would consider ordering some more if my current order was not still listed as "CANCELLED" after 3 weeks of contacting Avalon.  Even BFL is more responsive.

I thought when I responded in the Avalon Shipped thread it was pretty clear I can't change any of the stats until I get back into NYC? but all the issues checks out since there was data stored, but callbacks were never made.

His computer will only work in NYC? This blows my mind!
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
No shipping/tracking information has been sent to me, privately or publicly, as of this writing.

Have I been browsing the wrong forum or something?  Huh
Activity: 72
Merit: 10

Thanks for the update Jeff!
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
I just started reading the other thread, and had to stop not even midway through the first post before commenting. Took my piss, got my coffee, got my smokes, now off to see if I can get through the rest of the first post without bursting a blood vessel.

Madness! (last couple seconds)
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Actually, the correct time to take preventative measure is BEFORE you decide to send your BTCs somewhere.  It is not this forums responsibility to verify things you should have done already.
The same forum which allowed Pirate to run a painfully obvious ponzi scheme for months?

Good or bad the forum takes a hands of approach.  If you think it is a scam then don't buy one.  Pretty simple concept.  Personal responsibility and all that.  You are the keeper of your coins.  If you do something stupid then you may lose them and never get them back.
Where I said that I regret for being involved to possible scam? I'm have enough salary to make risky investments.
I heard something about Pirate, but don't know details. Maybe there was no man who point administration sight to scam?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Question to forum administration: maybe this is right moment to ask Avalon stuff to publish proof of Avalon ASIC existance or shut down any (possible) scam activity?
BitSyncom used this forum to advertise its product, got preorders on this forum, used forum to keep (or not) customers informed about order status... But more than one week after we didn't saw any evidence that product were shipped... even more: existed. All questions about promised(!!!)  source code of modified cgminer, iso with OS image for device, video proof, shipment choice form, tracking number for jgazik and more - all this were TOTALY IGNORED. Now Avalon is starting new thread with batch #2 announced and look what they promise: no proof, no moneyback. One thing they promise: dates dates dates.
So, all I said is lead us to one conclusion: POSSIBLE SCAM! (Personaly I don't want it to be scam, as I am first batch customer). And now is good time to take sme preventive actions against possible scam and minimise possible damage to your forum users? I don't think that administration of this forum want to be anyhow related to scam?

The same forum which allowed Pirate to run a painfully obvious ponzi scheme for months?

Good or bad the forum takes a hands of approach.  If you think it is a scam then don't buy one.  Pretty simple concept.  Personal responsibility and all that.  You are the keeper of your coins.  If you do something stupid then you may lose them and never get them back.  Of course if it is a scam I am sure many will ignore that chasing the promise of turning x BTC into 10x BTC by getting an ASIC first and in the process turn it into 0 BTC.  Note: I am not saying Avalon is or isn't a scam.  I don't really care, won't be buying one either way.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065
People that know their stuff better than i do thinks that the only pratical use for mosfets in the Avalon is to build a custom PSU. Something that doesn't make any sense. You have problems building the Avalon, you don't need to get things worse house-producing a PSU.
It is "custom VRM" not "custom PSU". Technically it is almost the same thing, but PSU produces 12V,5V & 3.3V, and VRM further reduces it down to 1.somethingV. Nothing out of ordinary.
Activity: 364
Question to forum administration: maybe this is right moment to ask Avalon stuff to publish proof of Avalon ASIC existance?
BitSyncom used this forum to advertise its product, got preorders on this forum, used forum to keep (or not) customers informed about order status... But more than one week after we didn't saw any evidence that product were shipped... even more: existed. All questions about promised(!!!)  source code of modified cgminer, iso with OS image for device, video proof, shipment choice form, tracking number for jgazik and more - all this were TOTALY IGNORED. Now Avalon is starting new thread with batch #2 announced and look what they promise: no proof, no moneyback. One thing they promise: dates dates dates.
So, all I said is lead us to one conclusion: POSSIBLE SCAM! (Personaly I don't want it to be scam, as I am first batch customer). And now is good time to take sme preventive actions against possible scam and minimise possible damage to your forum users? I don't think that administration of this forum want to be anyhow related to scam?

Actually, the correct time to take preventative measure is BEFORE you decide to send your BTCs somewhere.  It is not this forums responsibility to verify things you should have done already.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
If anyone should post the tracking number, it's Jeff, but to be honest if I were in his position I would not post this number.

What I *MIGHT* do is make a post saying "I'm Jeff, I've received the tracking number and I'm tracking the package. It sure seems like SOMETHING is on its way to me."

Last I heard he(Jeff) had specifically said he had NOT received any tracking information, though Avalon claims to have spent $400 to get the package shipped. I'm having trouble reconciling these statements.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/jgarzik-541

Here's his latest posting, as of the 25th of January he had not received trakcing info.  He seems the type to me to at least tell us he did receive tracking info.  It would go a long way, I don't need to follow his package but him saying he at least received info would alleviate... something.  (still mgiht be a brick haha (or 4 looking at that case))
Activity: 561
Merit: 500
All Avalon has shown is that they're doing a poor job with their PR. If they're selling their ASICs faster than they can (supposedly) make them, why should they care? Why waste time trying to get even more orders than they can handle?

I thought BFL was an obvious scam before they released their first products. It turned out they just did a terrible job of managing their public image, a problem they still have today. It sure didn't impact their sales though. When you've got a revolutionary product you can afford to ignore your detractors.
Activity: 434
If anyone should post the tracking number, it's Jeff, but to be honest if I were in his position I would not post this number.

What I *MIGHT* do is make a post saying "I'm Jeff, I've received the tracking number and I'm tracking the package. It sure seems like SOMETHING is on its way to me."

Last I heard he(Jeff) had specifically said he had NOT received any tracking information, though Avalon claims to have spent $400 to get the package shipped. I'm having trouble reconciling these statements.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Pages:
Jump to: