Author

Topic: [BBR] Boolberry: Privacy and Security - Guaranteed Since 2014 - page 307. (Read 1210752 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 12
If I am such competition why am I so happy I help BBR 10x in a week?
Please understand crypto is in expansion phase, there are no competitions inside crypto, only fiat is the competition

I jus know that UNITY is better than this name callings

Edit:  I have nothing constructive or helpful to say in response.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134
Activity: 196
Merit: 12
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134
[ANN - cryptonote brothers]

I have reached out to key XMR peoples and offered a plan for unity and they are in agreement.
This attack on XMR is an attack on all cryptonotes and we must unite. What is good for any cryptonote is good for BBR and what is good for BBR is good for all cryptonotes.

I am seeing that the core XMR people are not the source of the anti-BBR FUD and of course the other way around too. So, just like this attack is from anti-cryptonote faction, the constant FUD attacks are also from an anti-cryptonote faction. Now who has the most to gain from the failure of cryptonote? That is the prime suspect, but it doesnt matter who it is. this unknown enemy has made a big benefit to all of cryptonote and especially to the brothers BBR and XMR

Since BBR and XMR are mostly the same, for any BBR supporter to say negative of XMR is saying bad of BBR. So this person who is claiming to be BBR supporter is either ignorant (this is curable with some kind communications) or an enemy agent. This is not curable, but they can simply be shunned. Their power to disrupt is evaporated.

A new era of harmony between the brothers has arrived!

So, the simple rules are this:
1. When in your brother's house, if you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say anything
2. When here in BBR thread, you can say anything, but let's try to be positive and supportive whenever possible
3. When in neutral place, just behave like you would like the other to behave

I think these are some common sense rules and I hope that BBR community can adopt this code for civil discourse.

The power of this simple thing is that anybody that is ignoring it, even after being reminded, is now exposed as enemy agent!

James

P.S. Soon after this new unity is more than just concept but reality, then I am having some big plans for making last week look like a small thing. First step though, we need to eliminate the FUD agents!
Activity: 209
Merit: 100
Zoidberg, is new fix needed for boolbd in mbk repo also, for GPU miner?
Activity: 224

New build with merkle-tree fix uploaded v0.2.0.37(ceecfdf), please update!

http://boolberry.com/downloads.html

No need to explain how important this update.

Updated, thank you!
Activity: 976
Merit: 646

New build with merkle-tree fix uploaded v0.2.0.37(ceecfdf), please update!

http://boolberry.com/downloads.html

No need to explain how important this update.

Activity: 182
Good morning dear friends!

Just awakened by the call and findout news that Monero is under attack.

I'm started looking on it now, and, well, i have 2 news! Good one and bad one!

Bad news is that Boolbery also have this flaw. (Like every Cryptonote).
Good news - that this attack need pretty long period of preparation, because to achive big amount of transactions per block attackers need to move median, it's a day or more. That means that even if i see that attack is starting i have enought time to update network with workaround rule, that won't let grow transactions count per block too much to fail.
Exactly that's why we have alerts feature - in case of emergency i could update network pretty quickly!

Zoidberg

so this means BBR is safe as long as you see the attack preparation? do you think you can fix the flaw before an attack could be implemented?
my understanding is this attack takes days
and so it can be detected
I have a feeling CZ will be able to fix the code so even with this attack, it just pushes the excess tx into the next block

James

DTS: before you start saying that my statement is disrespecting the XMR devs, plz dont. I just said what I thought CZ could do, nothing more nothing less.

ok load off my mind.. i both love and hate waking up to big drama Cheesy that bter hack took it out of me. Smiley at least this seems like a relatively minor issue for BBR. with monero in the shitter and BBR looking safe.. there could be massive influx of money flowing from xmr to BBR.. Cheesy
i dont see why.
this could have hit BBR just as easily, so the fact it was XMR was just cuz XMR is a bigger target
its in the common code, it is a shared problem
If you look at the market price, you will see BBR suffered right along for this.
both coins suffer short term from the fact there was this bug, but it is one less vulnerability
also, this is more like the GLEFU in NXT, not really a money thing, annoying, a pain, but I dont think they even need to rollback

so like the GLEFU in a few days it is as if it never happened

James

I agree with James, I'm tired of the negativity generated by this back and forth attack fest. Like many have said the XMR and BBR should be on the same side. As you said this could have happened to any CryptoNote currency. I've seen similar comments about how this might effect duckNote currency. I'd rather look at it in a positive light, what it means is now I can invest in XMR, because most likely it will be going for cheap the next few days. I prefer BBR think it's the better coin, but this is still very early in the game. In the end it makes all CryptoNote currencies better, it just unfortunate that XMR got hurt by this. You could say that XMR made the ultimate sacrifice to make CryptoNote live up to its promise of creating a way to exchange funds privately.  I for one think we need to be there for the XMR crowd, and be offering support not attacks, because as James said this could have been us or any other CryptoNote based coin.
Activity: 106
Merit: 10
Any insights from BBR dev on what might have happened with XMR and whether this is an issue for other cryptonote coins?

It's an issue for all CN coins. Problem fixed for XMR and BBR, don't know about the others.
Activity: 224
Any insights from BBR dev on what might have happened with XMR and whether this is an issue for other cryptonote coins?
Activity: 742
Merit: 501
Any idea why Bittrex wallet is disabled?

Just caught up in the XMR exploit cross fire I suppose. The bug existed in all CN coins, but was only exploited in XMR mainnet, over the course of last 4 days, no less. There was no reason for them to freeze BBR, but I guess they wanted to exercise caution based on partial information thrown around that "BBR also has the bug".
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
The long term fix is just tossing all the horribly dangerous C code that contains naked pointers and moving to something somewhat less terrible like C++.

Maybe the Cryptonote Foundation can hire Peter Todd or gmaxwell to port the entire thing over to an expanded Bitcoin codebase.  Once the modularization is done, of course.

That jl777 guy is supposed to be "just a simple c coder" ... maybe you could get him  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
Any idea why Bittrex wallet is disabled?
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
The long term fix is just tossing all the horribly dangerous C code that contains naked pointers and moving to something somewhat less terrible like C++.

Maybe the Cryptonote Foundation can hire Peter Todd or gmaxwell to port the entire thing over to an expanded Bitcoin codebase.  Once the modularization is done, of course.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Sorry that i made you sad but you wrong. And i don't care what you expected.
This rivalry cracks me up beyond belief. 
Welcome to Aspberger's School of Charm and Dignity.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Yes I got the merkle tree overflow stuff. I was asking specifically about the tree hash bug and what the fix was going to be ..

To me both chains need to be co-exist. It is pretty obvious that XMR will continue to get targeted. It will only make the code better in the long term, but there will be targeted disruptions from time to time.

The fix is to stop coding in C, which should never be used for distributed consensus, and to refactor the codebase.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
You asked me to review your fix, but i said that i need time for it (because you rewrote whole merkle function)

Probably some confusion in communication. We had both fixes. rfreeman_w's code clean up in git hub and my *8 fix in IRC:

[13:35] it will break faster on 32 bit
[13:35] maybe for some implementation it would even pass for 514?
[13:35] How can I confirm I am on the correct chain? My deamon has not been on in a few days.
[13:36] rfreeman_w sizeof(size_t)*8 i think. it should be bits not bytes
[13:36] * taaku has quit (Client Quit)

I thought both were sent to you but perhaps I'm mistaken. Anyway, I'm glad this all got worked out, and I appreciate your help in analyzing the problem and helping us to fix our coin. Perhaps some day we can and (if so will) repay the favor, though hopefully not in kind.

legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
Sorry that i made you sad but you wrong. And i don't care what you expected.

This rivalry cracks me up beyond belief. 
Activity: 742
Merit: 501
Great job in always watching the chain tacotime.

Also looks like the fixes implemented are going to be different? Are you going with reduced max block size ?

Nah, it was a simple overflow bug, the basic fix is the same, to just fix the horrible C code line that caused it.

Yes I got the merkle tree overflow stuff. I was asking specifically about the tree hash bug and what the fix was going to be ..

To me both chains need to be co-exist. It is pretty obvious that XMR will continue to get targeted. It will only make the code better in the long term, but there will be targeted disruptions from time to time.

Both chains exist in the sense that they're stored on some computers somewhere, but the longest chain is the consensus.

I meant BBR and XMR, in the light of continued questions about BBR being the smaller network and folks questioning it from time to time.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Great job in always watching the chain tacotime.

Also looks like the fixes implemented are going to be different? Are you going with reduced max block size ?

Nah, it was a simple overflow bug, the basic fix is the same, to just fix the horrible C code line that caused it.

Both chains exist in the sense that they're stored on some computers somewhere, but the longest chain is the consensus.

Jump to: