Pages:
Author

Topic: Biblepay BBP Community Discussion Thread - page 6. (Read 23762 times)

Activity: 1176
Merit: 111
January 19, 2019, 02:47:20 PM
https://forum.biblepay.org/tools/podcstatus.php?cpid=62bc04999dfba69e6872abf5a903c482

Can someone please explain why my payout is slowly but surely dropping?  My RAC has been increasing so this doesn't make much sense to me.  Thanks!

Back in December total team RAC was around 9M (9 million). I checked it is now 14M. Its been climbing. Everyone's payments has dropped -- its not just you. I went from 10k BBP to 6k BBP daily. Your RAC is a percentage of the Total Team RAC. Just to maintain your daily BBP, your RAC would need to increase from 5k to ~7-8k RAC. So, maybe 1500 more RAC towards WCG at least.

Since BiblePay team requirement was dropped, GridCoin Pool's RAC got added to Total Team RAC. the pool is cranking out 3M RAC:
pool1: https://forum.biblepay.org/tools/podcstatus.php?cpid=163f049997e8a2dee054d69a7720bf05
pool2: https://forum.biblepay.org/tools/podcstatus.php?cpid=a914eba952be5dfcf73d926b508fd5fa
pool3: https://forum.biblepay.org/tools/podcstatus.php?cpid=163f049997e8a2dee054d69a7720bf05

grcpool just merge mines BiblePay, sells it, and they call it a day. they had a poll and the GRC community wanted BBP sold and not staked. So, not enough community backing to stake BBP. I don't know if anyone at BiblePay team bothered to talk to grcpool operator. Overall, I think removing team requirement backfired and BiblePay's marketing point about "cancer research" lost a lot of steam.  The sell pressure from grcpool means charities will support fewer children because the price of BBP is so low. BiblePay will keep dropping until it matches GRC price in terms of payout per RAC.

So, I really hope and pray. If it is God's desire that Proof of Giving (PoG) succeed, let it be so.
January 19, 2019, 02:46:49 PM
Just to bash us and lower our spirits?  Obviously you and Sun are doing the same thing - its not to help the community but to hurt the community - which hurts our investors and our orphans in the long run.

You're so socially awkward you wouldn't have a clue about my intentions. Please stop making an ass out of yourself in public. I make a jab about pool.biblepay.org being ugly but functional, and you react with a nuclear bomb. I guess we know who the weak person here is.

@thesnat21 because you asked, I will provide some details:
1) could we put CPID as part of the output for exec totalrac? We always ask for CPID so it is good data to include. PoDC is here and not going away for a few months at least.
2) it'll be better if pool.biblepay.org could stop using Frame Navigation (so 1990s) and use something modern
3) there's a weird CSS/style bug. when you refresh (F5) the background goes completely white and left navigation changes.
4) QT wallet - whoever did the bezaleel theme -- can they come back and pretty up the UI? layout, buttons, spacing, etc.
we really have to get away from this right-click non-sense. everything is right-click to do something... put buttons on the screen, so people know their choices
January 11, 2019, 06:25:26 PM
I do writing on the side, and it's important to have an "elevator pitch", a 20 second explanation for the endeavor. I would say for BBP, it should just be the fundamental hope to bring genuine Christian values to cryptocurrency. It doesn't matter if it's orphans or widows, that's not the heart of it. It's the hope. I think that gets obscured somewhat.

You have a way of distilling what this coin is about. Many people think of BBO as a charity coin, but a coin that promotes Christian values allows more flexibility. An altcoin that promotes Christian values could be a charity coin or something else. Marketing BBP as promoting Christian values could have a name change and could pivot away from being a charity coin if financially necessary.
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
November 23, 2018, 07:04:19 PM
Cool stuff. You can't know ahead of time if it will get used, but just making the effort is good. I'm going to be taking a step back from this project for a bit and let some of the dust settle. It's a little too dramatic for my taste, and there are other projects to work on without so much contention.

Understandable, don't forget us though Smiley   

Would you mind sharing the names of these projects in PM? Thanks.
Activity: 1260
Merit: 115
November 21, 2018, 10:03:42 PM
I offer BiblePay users a 2nd Forum Option, Discourse:
https://discourse.biblepaycoin.org/

Understanding Discourse Trust Levels
https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/

FAQ/Guidelines
https://discourse.biblepaycoin.org/t/faq-guidelines/5

NOTE: Currently Ive set Trust Level "Member" the ability to post anonymously

I have also setup the ability to login using Google, Facebook, Twitter and Github,
so users do not have to create another account, they can use one they already have!

Im not sure if it this forum will get used, I dont think the timing is that great,
was just experimenting again, please let me know any feedback!

Cool stuff. You can't know ahead of time if it will get used, but just making the effort is good.

Thanks!

Installation was pretty smooth, they use a docker image, can host it on a cheap cloud server $5/month
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

Anyone could run this! Smiley
Activity: 490
Merit: 4
November 21, 2018, 04:55:46 PM
I'll still lurk. In retrospect, the error was mine. I took the term community-driven to mean the community decides, not the community does the legwork for the monarch.

There are some really interesting projects out there, with everyone pushing in the same direction, that are actually increasing in market value and trading volume despite the bear market. So I know it can be done, if there's clarity.

Here's hoping BBP will become one of those, with a better use case and more internal cohesion. Best of the best of luck.

To be fair,  there is a limit to available time..  So those with more people working towards a goal will have better luck finding it.

Activity: 226
Merit: 2
November 21, 2018, 01:35:58 PM
Cool stuff. You can't know ahead of time if it will get used, but just making the effort is good. I'm going to be taking a step back from this project for a bit and let some of the dust settle. It's a little too dramatic for my taste, and there are other projects to work on without so much contention.

I'll still lurk. In retrospect, the error was mine. I took the term community-driven to mean the community decides, not the community does the legwork for the monarch.

There are some really interesting projects out there, with everyone pushing in the same direction, that are actually increasing in market value and trading volume despite the bear market. So I know it can be done, if there's clarity.

Here's hoping BBP will become one of those, with a better use case and more internal cohesion. Best of the best of luck.
November 21, 2018, 12:18:54 PM

November 21, 2018, 12:11:26 PM

FAQ/Guidelines

I have also setup the ability to login using Google, Facebook, Twitter and Github,
so users do not have to create another account, they can use one they already have!

Im not sure if it this forum will get used, I dont think the timing is that great,

Activity: 1260
Merit: 115
November 21, 2018, 09:22:41 AM

FAQ/Guidelines

November 20, 2018, 07:58:45 AM

secoccular: I replied to your post on the main thread,  I believe you bring valuable input and perspective.

Inblue: I appreciate your contribution here as well and see this is a much more beneficial discussion than previous,  please join us as well!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.48069526
November 20, 2018, 07:29:36 AM
I notice it seems like a small number of people are responsible for the vast majority of the posts, which are very technically detailed, and I'm not sure who the audience most of you are speaking to.
Shouldn't there be more diverse activity for a 500+ page thread?

Actually there are around 800 pages when you count the old thread. Very interesting observation! I agree, this is something very strange for this coin... Other coins of this market cap have many many times fewer posts, and much bigger coins have a lot of diversity in the posts, from a lot of different users. So BiblePay seems almost like a cult of loyal followers, but very few of them, but they are very active. The coin getting more and more complicated only helps to further isolate the cult from potential new members. But I still believe there are a lot of lurkers who only ever read and not post, but they read often and follow the developments.

I'm not sure how to contribute on the main ANN thread. It feels like there's no room there.

Could you elaborate on this? How is there no room in that thread? Is it because of Rob who instills fear of posting, or something else?

Still, it feels like there's a gap somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it..

Well said, I actually feel that way too, I just can't understand what I'm feeling, but this phrase of yours "there's a gap somewhere" solidified my thoughts. I think so too, but I also don't know what it is. It's maybe related to what I wrote in the first paragraph above. I follow many projects too, and neither of them feels even remotely like BiblePay.

Interesting observations..   I'm curious about this "gap" and what can be done to close it... 

Site note: I appreciate you posting on the Proof of Giving proposal on the bbp forums inblue Smiley

I think all these discussions are important, and I appreciate the discussion and trying to track down what is going on.

I agree we have a loyal following,  but need to do more to bring new folks in.

I don't believe we try to be overly technical..  But this is the curse of IT as well I suppose haha, it tends to spill out in "normal" conversations as well.
November 19, 2018, 02:25:50 PM
thesnat21, thanks for the response. I agree it can be a vicious circle. I don't want to post there because the environment doesn't seem aligned with what I'd post. But if I don't post, then I can't help change the environment. I'll have to meditate on this more, maybe I need to be the change I want to see. For now, this thread feels more open to these kinds of discussion without concern for censorship based on a single person's perspective. The censorship for the perception of not being "positive" about the project does bug me, especially when the person doing the censoring often goes on the attack themselves?

I notice it seems like a small number of people are responsible for the vast majority of the posts, which are very technically detailed, and I'm not sure who the audience most of you are speaking to.

Actually there are around 800 pages when you count the old thread. Very interesting observation! I agree, this is something very strange for this coin... Other coins of this market cap have many many times fewer posts, and much bigger coins have a lot of diversity in the posts, from a lot of different users. So BiblePay seems almost like a cult of loyal followers, but very few of them, but they are very active. The coin getting more and more complicated only helps to further isolate the cult from potential new members. But I still believe there are a lot of lurkers who only ever read and not post, but they read often and follow the developments.

I'm not sure how to contribute on the main ANN thread. It feels like there's no room there.

Could you elaborate on this? How is there no room in that thread? Is it because of Rob who instills fear of posting, or something else?

Well said, I actually feel that way too, I just can't understand what I'm feeling, but this phrase of yours "there's a gap somewhere" solidified my thoughts. I think so too, but I also don't know what it is. It's maybe related to what I wrote in the first paragraph above. I follow many projects too, and neither of them feels even remotely like BiblePay.

Well, I think the word cult is too strong, and not exactly appropriate. It just seems with a lack of diversity, things kind of become a self-feeding closed loop. This has been my observation throughout life, not limited to BBP. When I read the main thread, it's mostly reports from "worker bees", what the main core of people are working on. But I'm having trouble piecing it all together into a cohesive whole.

I don't have any problem with Rob, and have a deep feeling of wanting to help him, to help the project (I do wish he'd chill out some). It's hard when you take the mantle of responsibility for something. It can lead to all kinds of control issues. Getting a project to thrive always means letting more people get involved, which means letting go to some extent. It's difficult, especially for IT folks, and when you personally care about the outcome. This is where surrender to God becomes very helpful, like "I don't want this project to succeed, without divine approval, and I can't know what that is ahead of time." That's how I see it.

I thought about that "gap" more. What I see is, as you said, is an intense concentration of posts by the core folks, and then what feels like a moat before it gets to people like me. It kind of feels like being on the outside. You need the core for functioning, but you also need a bigger involvement to grow.  It's vital to a project's (any project's) health to bring in new people. Being on the "inside" all the time, it's too easy to forget one's "beginner mind". It will actually be impossible to retain this being very involved in the project, which is why it's vital to always have newbies, and not deride them for needing "hand-holding". It's hard to account for how damaging that is, or how many people just walk away after getting the feeling of not being honored and wanted.

I'm still new enough to have that kind of mind, and that's what I bring to each of the projects I'm involved with. If I can't succinctly explain what a project is to my parents, or someone at the supermarket without the jargon like PoBH and such, that's a sign that it's going to be hard to grow without more focus. I do writing on the side, and it's important to have an "elevator pitch", a 20 second explanation for the endeavor. I would say for BBP, it should just be the fundamental hope to bring genuine Christian values to cryptocurrency. It doesn't matter if it's orphans or widows, that's not the heart of it. It's the hope. I think that gets obscured somewhat. (see comment about use cases at bottom).

Personally, I think the Dash model doesn't help. It seems to me to be very non-democratic, and difficult to interface with the project's values as I seem them. But I realize that's already set in stone. Some other projects don't have such formal duties, and when it's time for an exchange, it's just asked that people donate crypto when interested in a new exchange. It seems more inclusive and free-flowing, and community-driven. And if people don't want to fund it, then it doesn't happen. Nobody takes ultimate responsibility. Here, it seems very formal (maybe the project's size needs that?), and like BBP is employment for some. I just can't wrap my mind around things like IT and marketing budgets. They're needed, but on a continual basis every month? It's as if BBP is an employment opportunity, which I think looks odd from the outside--the haves and have-nots. The expenses always seem tied to the same few people always spinning off new ideas that cost bbp to implement. Sure, Rob says step up if you want to be involved, but frankly it's not a very open environment at present and I question to what degree he means that. And I'm not sure the core group will allow the space for that to happen, which can really hamper long-term growth. A project this size should have at least a dozen people cranking out code, which would allow for more volunteer opportunities and lessen the "budget".

Thanks for your feedback and attention. I wouldn't put this much thought into it if I didn't see a lot of promise for this coin.

Edit: One thing I think BBP is missing is use cases for the coin. It kind of functions as a currency for the core group, but why would your average Joe or Jane Smith use the coin, other than as an investment? It kind of seems like the coin's use, outside the core group, is lost. This is a big problem for a lot of crypto, but really apparent here.
Activity: 462
Merit: 103
November 19, 2018, 01:50:30 PM

November 19, 2018, 08:24:48 AM
I wandered over to the official forum, but the activity level seems pretty low, and I couldn't find a place for a high-level philosophical discussion there. I honestly think more people read the threads over here.

I also wanted to get your input on a couple of questions. Why isn't there more community involvement with this coin? I notice it seems like a small number of people are responsible for the vast majority of the posts, which are very technically detailed, and I'm not sure who the audience most of you are speaking to. It would take me a lot of time to figure out what everyone's talking about, so most of it just sails over my head. Maybe others feel the same way? This is by far the most demanding project to try and understand.

Shouldn't there be more diverse activity for a 500+ page thread? If so, what do you think we can do to improve that? I'm not sure how to contribute on the main ANN thread. It feels like there's no room there.

The second question is my biggest concern, which is the extremely low volume. How can we improve this? It seems like on a lot of project I follow, people gravitate towards getting lsited on more exchanges as the solution. But does that really bring investors in, or is it a case of "if you build it, they will come" (which I don't think works). Of course the overall bear market doesn't help. Still, it feels like there's a gap somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it..

Sorry for continuing this thread, but it still feels relevant as a community disucssion.

For the bbp forum I'm open to suggestions on new threads over there.. so far people seem reluctant to sign up (outside the core team).  If people are unwilling to start discussions because of a lack of discussions, it seems like a circular issue.. If we could "win over" to start posting it may help.

I agree with the volume concern,  adding exchanges has not seemed to help the current situation much unfortunately.  I would be reluctant to attempt another at this moment, due to the fee's associated with most exchanges (and the time required for the exhange fund to re-stock at our current valuation).  On the other side, most exchanges require a certain volume to keep listed.  Rob spoke to another opportunity for next year possibly.

Overall the bear market has been ruthless for the majority of crypto!   I don't know how much longer this is going to continue but I don't feel there is much room for us to grow until it turns around.  However, I do pray I am wrong!

I'm working on some data collection and reporting..  This should give us some more insight into the userbase and i'm hoping show us some ideas to fix things.

November 19, 2018, 06:42:47 AM
I wandered over to the official forum, but the activity level seems pretty low, and I couldn't find a place for a high-level philosophical discussion there. I honestly think more people read the threads over here.

I also wanted to get your input on a couple of questions. Why isn't there more community involvement with this coin? I notice it seems like a small number of people are responsible for the vast majority of the posts, which are very technically detailed, and I'm not sure who the audience most of you are speaking to. It would take me a lot of time to figure out what everyone's talking about, so most of it just sails over my head. Maybe others feel the same way? This is by far the most demanding project to try and understand.

Shouldn't there be more diverse activity for a 500+ page thread? If so, what do you think we can do to improve that? I'm not sure how to contribute on the main ANN thread. It feels like there's no room there.

The second question is my biggest concern, which is the extremely low volume. How can we improve this? It seems like on a lot of projects I follow, people gravitate towards getting lsited on more exchanges as the solution. But does that really bring investors in, as a case of "if you build it, they will come" (which I don't think works). Of course the overall bear market doesn't help. Still, it feels like there's a gap somewhere, but I can't put my finger on it..

Sorry for continuing this thread, but it still feels relevant as a community discussion.
November 17, 2018, 09:06:14 AM
Thanks for your response.

Agree with most of what you wrote. Personal information is just that, true. And there is more than one coin out there that has pseudonyms and anonymity. So it's nothing uncommon. I can't imagine going around to churches and giving everyone a pseudonym. Then again, my real name isn't secoccular. ;p

I still think the discussion is better somewhere here on bct, just for more visibility. But I understand what you're saying, and I don't have much more to add to this thread.

I'm looking at/ involved with over a dozen projects right now. and wouldn't want to join a separate outside forum for each of them. Discord is a little easier because it's all in one place. But I'll go check out the BBP forum again and see the activity levels. Maybe it is better to keep the moaning over there. I don't know.

I'm happy to see the community coming together more. Having forum managers creates an important buffer, and makes it easier on Rob and us plebes. In my experience of *cough* years in IT, the most brilliant programmers weren't really hard-wired for some kinds of communication. The ones that did the best had some folks in from of them, so they could focus on the coding.

In total agreement with your comments about complexity. Using more common terms would be a huge help for newcomers. PoW is just PoW, as you say.

As to the monarch coin (asked above), like all slang terms, it arose spontaneously, without a set definition from the "Satoshi Fan Club". But I would say it's a coin where there's basically one person at the head, who codes, makes changes to the structure (like the widow thing), owns a large number of nodes, and really has final decision. Whether that applies to BBP, I don't know.

Again, I'm really happy with the new moderation on the ANN thread. It feels like a positive direction.

Fair enough,  I get that people are busy and like a central place to look for things. 

Discord is available but suffers the same "buried in history" issue,  on the flipside it allows for more real-time discussion.  I am on there as "freddymac" I suppose I should change the name to match .. just have not felt like doing it

I'd love to get more activity on the official forums ..  If we could it would help show the activity level of the project.  (I get its "another" site to check, but from an outsider perspective it could indicate an active "core" community)

Appreciate your input, and the ongoing discussion.   I don't think your comments here need to be buried in this thread either though if you insist on using BCT.   

IMHO, you have articulated your points well, and with respect Smiley

November 17, 2018, 12:11:41 AM
Thanks for your response.

Agree with most of what you wrote. Personal information is just that, true. And there is more than one coin out there that has pseudonyms and anonymity. So it's nothing uncommon. I can't imagine going around to churches and giving everyone a pseudonym. Then again, my real name isn't secoccular. ;p

I still think the discussion is better somewhere here on bct, just for more visibility. But I understand what you're saying, and I don't have much more to add to this thread.

I'm looking at/ involved with over a dozen projects right now. and wouldn't want to join a separate outside forum for each of them. Discord is a little easier because it's all in one place. But I'll go check out the BBP forum again and see the activity levels. Maybe it is better to keep the moaning over there. I don't know.

I'm happy to see the community coming together more. Having forum managers creates an important buffer, and makes it easier on Rob and us plebes. In my experience of *cough* years in IT, the most brilliant programmers weren't really hard-wired for some kinds of communication. The ones that did the best had some folks in from of them, so they could focus on the coding.

In total agreement with your comments about complexity. Using more common terms would be a huge help for newcomers. PoW is just PoW, as you say.

As to the monarch coin (asked above), like all slang terms, it arose spontaneously, without a set definition from the "Satoshi Fan Club". But I would say it's a coin where there's basically one person at the head, who codes, makes changes to the structure (like the widow thing), owns a large number of nodes, and really has final decision. Whether that applies to BBP, I don't know.

Again, I'm really happy with the new moderation on the ANN thread. It feels like a positive direction.

November 15, 2018, 04:48:04 PM
And thanks for you reply to my post above. It's a little disappointing the issue of MN control by the lead dev is going to just hang there without an answer. Maybe my expectations are out of line, but some other projects I'm involved with have 100% transparency (and those are secular projects). It's strange to have these pockets of hidden information, but it is what it is.

I understand your frustration, unfortunately when it comes to "personal" information nobody can force you to reveal it...   A choice must be made to support the project without this understanding, or move on?

I learned a new term the other day -- monarch coin. Do you think it applies.

I completely see that Rob is heavily invested in this project, and....surprise... I want it to succeed too, and am trying to point out things that could really derail it. Maybe my focus is wrong.

Why should this discussion happen on the main thread? The ANN thread is where we get reports from the dev and team, as well as some light troubleshooting. It seems appropriate to have a separate thread like this, where we can look into the mirror a bit. It seems cleaner to me to have some separation.

Why not have it in the main thread?   Or ... better yet on forum.biblepay.org, this would add content and some real discussions there that could help bring people into a discussion.

Unless this type of topic is in a dedicated place,  (thread with a single purpose) any of this information will ultimately be buried and lost, and questions will come back to be answered again.

Which brings me to a point about separation. It's really necessary, especially in business. We have to see ourselves as investors, project members, charity givers, Christians, etc. etc. Of course we're all these things, but it's good to have boundaries. When we get overly identified with one aspect, the others suffer.

One more thought. Years ago, I learned a Chinese expression "running a country is like frying a fish". For years I could not figure out the meaning. It wasn't until I actually fried a fish that the meaning became clear. If you fry a fish, you can only turn it once or twice before the fish dis-integrates.

I feel our fishes are, technically, suffering from over-turning. Currently I am completely unable to promote the coin, because I have no idea what the direction is--orphans, widows, file hosting, etc.  In the short while I've been here, the future of the project seems to be spinning more and more into complexity. We use terms like POBH or whatever the Orphan Proof is called. Do we realize those terms mean not a lot outside of our little group? It creates a barrier of entry, where new members are forced to learn a new vocabulary that doesn't apply anywhere outside of the project. I almost looked past this one because it involved a lot more learning on my part to figure out all the terminology, so it took more of an "investment" to even understand BBP.

Has anyone considered making a glossary type document that defines what all these terms are? It would be easier on new folks like me to be able to enter the world of BBP knowing all the definitions, instead of having to hang out on the main thread for a while to pick up the pieces intuitively. Thanks for reading.

I would agree with this point as well..  We are a complex coin, some steps have been taken to help reduce the complexity, but I agree every new feature adds to the complexity.

A glossary would be good, but we could also work to call things what they are,  PoBH = POW .. This is a good point why make things sound more complex than they are?
Activity: 489
Merit: 12
November 15, 2018, 04:34:00 PM
Pages:
Jump to: