Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin or altcoins - page 18. (Read 2222 times)

Activity: 2828
Merit: 666
August 30, 2021, 07:20:10 PM
Altcoins are dependent on Bitcoin's movements actually. Most of the time, every altcoin price increases or decreases being parallel to Bitcoin. Sometimes, we witnessed Ethereum price to increase but Bitcoin didn't. And sometimes, we saw that meme coins boomed while the market was in a bad condition in general. The choice is yours. If you are aiming to HODL, then the best option is Bitcoin I believe. Otherwise, you can give a chance for credible altcoins like Ethereum.
Bitcoin has always been dominating the crypto market and even today, it still leads the market into its bullish season. But we also see ethereum becomes bullish too just like bitcoin so if we want to be more profitable in the long run, then definitely make them both as your priority. After all, bitcoin and ethereum are the most profitable cryptocurrencies at the moment. Meme coins are also in hype but i don't think they will be able to sustain their high price.

For me, bitcoin is definitely volatile but altcoins are even more risky because they are  more volatile than bitcoin. So when we think we are already in bearish season, altcoins will drop their value drastically than bitcoin that's why most of the traders end up selling altcoins just to buy bitcoin and add it on their portfolio.
Activity: 588
Merit: 10
$CYBERCASH METAVERSE
August 30, 2021, 06:52:34 PM
Altcoins are dependent on Bitcoin's movements actually. Most of the time, every altcoin price increases or decreases being parallel to Bitcoin. Sometimes, we witnessed Ethereum price to increase but Bitcoin didn't. And sometimes, we saw that meme coins boomed while the market was in a bad condition in general. The choice is yours. If you are aiming to HODL, then the best option is Bitcoin I believe. Otherwise, you can give a chance for credible altcoins like Ethereum.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
August 30, 2021, 06:39:02 PM
It seems that in the early part of a bull market, Bitcoin goes up faster than altcoins (ie Bitcoin dominance goes up.)  In the late part of a bull market, Bitcoin still goes up but altcoins go up even better (ie Bitcoin dominance goes down.)

In a bear market, altcoins fall faster than Bitcoin (ie Bitcoin dominance recovers somewhat but has to wait for the next bull market to go really high.)

So, it would seem the correct play is to buy altcoins at this point, and then convert them into Bitcoin (or sell) when you see the bull market ending?

Any thoughts?

Astute observation.

Much has been writ about bitcoin's alleged price volatility. Alt markets being low(er) volume traded assets, opens the door to them trading with higher volatility imo. There is often an uptrending price correction in alts after a bitcoin uptrend. But sometimes the upswing has to be sustained for weeks or months, which can make the timing to enter into alts iffy.

If bitcoin being defined by 4 year boom and bust cycles, incentivized by its rewards pool halving roughly every 4 years holds true. A decent strategy could be to buy bitcoin. Ride it to new highs. Sell. Then buy alts in the hope of catching their eventual price correction in bitcoin's wake.

To be honest, there are always so many opportunities everywhere in crypto, I don't know how likely or unlikely an investment scenario that is. Gains from bitcoin's 4 year cycle alone can be so large. And opportunities presented by emerging alts can be so tempting. That really there might be zero need for any type of special timing play.

[I used to post as BobK71, and am using a new account after some logistical mixup.]

I remember BobK71 as an author of many gold and precious metals topics in this section. Welcome, if you are him.
Activity: 868
Merit: 256
August 30, 2021, 06:26:31 PM
I wanted to take this opportunity to choose both bitcoin and altcoins to this potential upcoming bullrun. Don't ignore those altcoins with promising value that started to show green signals, despite on the volatility of the situation.
We seen the fast recovery of bitcoin recently, this attracts every trading pairs that's why it raises other coins which was continuously supports the whole community.
Activity: 2856
Merit: 769
August 30, 2021, 05:46:04 PM
I have been watching this market for a long time.

It seems that in the early part of a bull market, Bitcoin goes up faster than altcoins (ie Bitcoin dominance goes up.)  In the late part of a bull market, Bitcoin still goes up but altcoins go up even better (ie Bitcoin dominance goes down.)

In a bear market, altcoins fall faster than Bitcoin (ie Bitcoin dominance recovers somewhat but has to wait for the next bull market to go really high.)

So, it would seem the correct play is to buy altcoins at this point, and then convert them into Bitcoin (or sell) when you see the bull market ending?

Any thoughts?

[I used to post as BobK71, and am using a new account after some logistical mixup.]
Dominance isnt a solid indication for you to rely on in regards into your investment decisions whether you do go for Bitcoin or altcoins. Also in comes with price correlation then this is something very unpredictable.

Some say that whenever bitcoin price goes up then altcoins go down but the fact that there are indeed times that they do really go into the same manner or neither they do go to the opposite direction into each other.

There are even times where price doesnt really react whenever a certain coin or even bitcoin itself is mooning or rallying but i cant really blame those people on having this kind of mindset
since most of the time they are really been dragged off on whatever bitcoin trend currently it do have.
Activity: 2884
Merit: 620
August 30, 2021, 05:22:13 PM
It would still be the better idea to keep bitcoin if you're wanting a more reliable and stable cryptocurrency. There's more volatility with altcoins and you'll likely see some of the coins that have pumped today will be dumped badly tomorrow.

Watching out when the market is likely to end this bull market is hard but if you see that it's going there, you can make that decision of converting those alts into bitcoin. But why convert only when you're about to see the end of the bull market and why not just do that when you can do that in between and if there's the usual correction?
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
August 30, 2021, 04:13:55 PM
Usually, altcoins increase and decrease more than Bitcoin does, because they have a smaller market cap.

To make thing clearer, when you increase the Bitcoin's market cap by buying it, you surely affect it less than you would with an altcoin, due to the market cap's difference. So you'll influence the price of an altcoin more than you will with Bitcoin, because the market cap will proportionately increase more.

It's riskier to invest in altcoins, because it's easier to manipulate their price.

This is just my own opinion, but I believe that the majority of the world wants Bitcoin and will get rid of their altcoins in a bear market to be wealth assured.
I completely agree with this.
Activity: 2702
Merit: 704
August 30, 2021, 05:11:08 PM

Any thoughts?

If you are a long term trader then that seems like the correct movement to make, but this is easier said than done as we do not know beforehand when we will begin to see those performance changes.

It may seem as if we are at a point in which investing in altcoins makes more sense but that is only true if the bull market follows the patterns we have seen so far, but what if we see a supercycle in this market and you invest too early in altcoins and now you are faced with a difficult situation in which you have to sell your altcoins for a low price and get bitcoin at a more expensive price?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
August 30, 2021, 03:55:03 PM
Usually, altcoins increase and decrease more than Bitcoin does, because they have a smaller market cap.

To make thing clearer, when you increase the Bitcoin's market cap by buying it, you surely affect it less than you would with an altcoin, due to the market cap's difference. So you'll influence the price of an altcoin more than you will with Bitcoin, because the market cap will proportionately increase more.

It's riskier to invest in altcoins, because it's easier to manipulate their price.

This is just my own opinion, but I believe that the majority of the world wants Bitcoin and will get rid of their altcoins in a bear market to be wealth assured.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
August 30, 2021, 03:37:45 PM
I THINK the altcoin dominance the second time is brought on directly from bitcoin crashing? I could've remembered that wrong but it's what I thought I saw.. If your goal is to collect bitcoins, then hold alts and wait for them to go up a lot against bitcoin.

I also don't know if we're in for a rise in bitcoin dominance though too and for alts to fall a bit lower.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
August 30, 2021, 03:33:43 PM

Any thoughts?

Pages:
Jump to: