Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitcoin will be at CES2013 (Official Thread) - page 19. (Read 36646 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522
Bitpay: may I ask you, what sort of marijuana did you smoke advertising clients "No PCI Compliance"?

PCI DSS is an industry standard for securing websites.
No it isn't, it's an industry standard for securing credit card information, which is a major pain in the butt for merchants which Bitcoin completely eliminates. Not having to deal with the risk of identity theft and payment fraud and all the security concerns that go with it is basically the main selling point.

Interestingly, I can see both ends of this debate.
Activity: 328
Merit: 250
Someone please post video clips of what is happening in the booth! 

Also, could lucif get owned any harder in this thread? 
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
i guess butterfly havnt received the chips yet to start building asics

"we are eagerly awaiting them, as are many of you, im sure"
Activity: 462
Clown prophet
As i understood, this is offline payment - not about pci. Bah, also PCI case. As you store sensitive data in third party location. But this can be called compensation case.

Btw, customers database with personal data is also sensitive info.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Actually, $300 a year for ASV scan

Merchants require from regular customers only quarter ASV scan provided by someone like mcafee.

And for Bitcoin community this case of forcing security standards would be good. I wrote about it somewhere here.

I have a website. On my website I give customers a Bitcoin address to make payment. I keep the private key for this address on a QR code in a bank safety deposit box. How would PCI compliance benefit me or the customer in any way?

It wouldn't.  Once the uneducated learn their lessons and bitcion is done right there will be no way for a webserver breach to compromise anybodys finances.
Clown prophet
Actually, $300 a year for ASV scan

Merchants require from regular customers only quarter ASV scan provided by someone like mcafee.

And for Bitcoin community this case of forcing security standards would be good. I wrote about it somewhere here.
legendary
Activity: 4494
Merit: 3178
Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023
Tell this bitcoinica owner, biplomat and others hehe.
I said merchants, not exchanges. Exchanges have a metric fucktonne of regulations they are (or are supposed to be) complying with.

And Bitpay says to customers: My dear! Fuck the security!
They're not saying that at all. They're saying "Fuck paying $1000 a year or more to try to secure a system that was never secure in the first place."
Clown prophet
There is no sensitive customer data involved when using Bitcoin. A merchant's failure to secure their bitcoin wallet doesn't put their customers at risk in any way, and the PCI Council doesn't care if merchants lose their own money/data rather than their customers'. PCI compliance is totally unnecessary for a merchant that only accepts cash and bitcoins.
Tell this bitcoinica owner, biplomat and others hehe.

I don't view on PCI DSS as at some bearucratic thing. I see it as a good set of security recommendations to keep sensitive data secure. What kind of data is it - is a second question. Either "very bad CC cards that were developed not for Internet use" or just bitcoin wallet with 50000 coins - who cares? Only owner.

And Bitpay says to customers: My dear! Fuck the security!
legendary
Did you read it? Did you become compliant?

It standardize securing "sensitive data", which is CH data in case of cards, personal data in case of storing personal data and Bitcoin wallet and rpc connection in case of Bitcoin.
There is no sensitive customer data involved when using Bitcoin. A merchant's failure to secure their bitcoin wallet doesn't put their customers at risk in any way, and the PCI Council doesn't care if merchants lose their own money/data rather than their customers'. PCI compliance is totally unnecessary for a merchant that only accepts cash and bitcoins.
Clown prophet
Did you read it? Did you become compliant?

It standardize securing "sensitive data", which is CH data in case of cards, personal data in case of storing personal data and Bitcoin wallet and rpc connection in case of Bitcoin.

Btw, how Bitpay secures sensitive data?
legendary
Bitpay: may I ask you, what sort of marijuana did you smoke advertising clients "No PCI Compliance"?

No it isn't, it's an industry standard for securing credit card information, which is a major pain in the butt for merchants which Bitcoin completely eliminates. Not having to deal with the risk of identity theft and payment fraud and all the security concerns that go with it is basically the main selling point.
Clown prophet

In your place, I'd take care of yr clients security.

People outside Bitcoin community already know that Bitcoin is something being continuously theft, scammed, laundered.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Excellent interview, David, with Josh of BFL: http://codinginmysleep.com/coding-in-my-sleep-goes-to-ces/
Clown prophet
First ASIC arrived

http://youtu.be/e4wFkhafEdA
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
Please ask someone them a simple question: do the BFL devices mine or not?

Just YES or NO. If yes - demo please.

BFL is demoing their old FGPA miners. They have no working ASICs.
Clown prophet
Please ask someone them a simple question: do the BFL devices mine or not?

Just YES or NO. If yes - demo please.
Activity: 452
I hope the retail version cases have more vent holes, otherwise those poor ASICs are gonna suffocate in that little black box Sad

Even if that arrangement keeps them within spec I'll probably have mine running naked like many of the FPGA single owners.
Activity: 743
Merit: 500
Activity: 743
Merit: 500
@bitpay update from twitter
#bitcoin booth 70312 is ready for #CES #2013CES
legendary
Activity: 1221
Merit: 1025
e-ducat.fr
Great to know you are promoting Bitcoin at CES again this year: good luck with the show Tony.
Pages:
Jump to: