Pages:
Author

Topic: BitCoins for Edward Snowden. - page 16. (Read 30961 times)

Activity: 229
Merit: 100
June 11, 2013, 03:25:08 PM
that guy is traitor for me , he is bought by the Chinese government.
Activity: 526
Merit: 508
My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck
June 11, 2013, 03:13:58 PM
The bickering about the power structure of HK is pointless; Snowden could be on the moon by now.

He seems smart enough to formulate a simple plan like: "Tell everyone I'm trying to head to Iceland next, but sneak down to my secret bungalow in the Seychelles the minute this reporter leaves the room."

People like you are part of the problem, not the solution.
+1

yes, the government should operate within the law.  Oversight committees have direct responsibility for making sure that happens.  There should be consequences for illegal activities.  Heads should roll.  Time for everyone to consider the legality of what the NSA does.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Did you hear about that country that started up in the 1770s as the greatest experiment ever in small government?
It only took ~230 years to become the world's most bloated and restrictive government in history.

This has happened before a few times... But never this large.

Sadly, it always ends the same way, so we can fully expect for that particular experiement to end a lot noisier:

(Hence many people's interest in bitcoin here.)

Anyway, what we learned from that failed experiment is: The smaller you make a government without actually removing the government entirely, the less structure there is in place to actually curb the growth of the government.

So with all of this in mind, are you really trying to just keep the status quo moving along as usual? More oversight committees? More regulations? Hoping the problems will go away if we just get one more good man in some public office somewhere?  Roll Eyes

EL OH EL at the 700+ DEATH THREATS the author got in the comments below.

Here's one for you too:  Please go die in a fire.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
Touchdown
June 11, 2013, 11:53:08 AM
he probably knows alot more than you do about which is the safest place to go after doing what he's doing.
Maybe, but he does seem to be missing at the moment.  Whisked away to Beijing, perhaps, or maybe our National Hero is already living the high life in Russia?

It may sound like news to you, but Hong Kong indeed doesn't ultimately answer to Beijing, at least not always.
I have been Hong Kong (China too), so I am under no illusion that the people of Hong Kong live under the same strict regime as the people of mainland China.  That doesn't mean China isn't in control.  And Snowden seems to be betting on exactly that - if he is allowed to stay in HK, it will be because China has stepped in under Article 3 of the US-Hong Kong treaty (which allows Hong Kong to refuse to hand a person over if it believes that it might impact China's "defence, foreign affairs or essential public interest or policy").

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
June 11, 2013, 11:39:38 AM
Do not confuse Hong Kong with China.

They are not the same. Not by a long shot.

A clever tactic on your part though.

Thanks. Grin

Let's not pretend Hong Kong doesn't ultimately answer to Beijing
either though.

Strange gamble on his part, especially after telling the Guardian newspaper that he had "full access to the rosters of everyone working at the NSA, the entire intelligence community, and undercover assets all around the world, the locations of every station we have, what their missions are and so forth."  Way to make himself a target.

It may sound like news to you, but Hong Kong indeed doesn't ultimately answer to Beijing, at least not always.

Many spiritual organizations like Falun Gong, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falun_gong#Suppression which are pervasively suppressed/banned in the mainland China, have large bases and many believers in Hong Kong and do lots of propagandas there. Lots of anti-CCP books are also published there, and in the June 4th of every year there was a massive assembly of people gather to commemorate those killed in the Tiananmen Masscare, all these would have been impossible had Hong Kong needed to obey Beijing's order when it comes to evictions/deportations.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
June 11, 2013, 11:15:04 AM

Thanks. Grin

either though.

Strange gamble on his part, especially after telling the Guardian newspaper that he had "full access to the rosters of everyone working at the NSA, the entire intelligence community, and undercover assets all around the world, the locations of every station we have, what their missions are and so forth."  Way to make himself a target.

he probably knows alot more than you do about which is the safest place to go after doing what he's doing.

there are probably investment bankers staying in the rooms right next to him.
legendary
Touchdown
June 11, 2013, 10:50:47 AM

Thanks. Grin

either though.

Activity: 453
Merit: 250
June 11, 2013, 09:42:31 AM

There is a difference between right and wrong ... that is what the Nurenberg trials were about.

Just because you are following orders does not make it right.

Many of the US govt employees are now well outside constitutional law and they know it. So they are using secret courts and kept politicians heading the 'oversight committees' to cover it up. You should also be advocating for putting those people in jail, that is what THEY signed up for, to protect the constitution ... yet you want to persecute the whistleblower? .... wtf kind of person are you?
There are two separate issues here.

First, yes, the government should operate within the law.  Oversight committees have direct responsibility for making sure that happens.  There should be consequences for illegal activities.  Heads should roll.  Time for everyone to consider the legality of what the NSA does.

None of that changes the fact that one of our most important men - a person entrusted with US national security - is now HIDING IN CHINA after leaking information on an almost daily basis.

Fucking China, the irony!  (Or what he calls a place with "a spirited commitment to free speech and the right of political dissent".) Cheesy

Just putting himself in China has potentially exposed other US national secrets or security interests, by the way. Roll Eyes

There were other ways and he decided to do at that way.

An alternative view, with which I tend to agree:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2013/06/edward-snowden-nsa-leaker-is-no-hero.html

Oh, and just to point out a touch of irony in your own post:

"Just because you are following orders does not make it right."  This guy followed those orders for YEARS, yet you are willing to pardon him for that *and* for the actual bona fide crime of leaking classified information?

legendary
Touchdown
June 11, 2013, 07:19:31 AM

There is a difference between right and wrong ... that is what the Nurenberg trials were about.

Just because you are following orders does not make it right.

Many of the US govt employees are now well outside constitutional law and they know it. So they are using secret courts and kept politicians heading the 'oversight committees' to cover it up. You should also be advocating for putting those people in jail, that is what THEY signed up for, to protect the constitution ... yet you want to persecute the whistleblower? .... wtf kind of person are you?
There are two separate issues here.

First, yes, the government should operate within the law.  Oversight committees have direct responsibility for making sure that happens.  There should be consequences for illegal activities.  Heads should roll.  Time for everyone to consider the legality of what the NSA does.

None of that changes the fact that one of our most important men - a person entrusted with US national security - is now HIDING IN CHINA after leaking information on an almost daily basis.

Fucking China, the irony!  (Or what he calls a place with "a spirited commitment to free speech and the right of political dissent".) Cheesy

Just putting himself in China has potentially exposed other US national secrets or security interests, by the way. Roll Eyes

There were other ways and he decided to do at that way.

An alternative view, with which I tend to agree:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2013/06/edward-snowden-nsa-leaker-is-no-hero.html

Oh, and just to point out a touch of irony in your own post:

"Just because you are following orders does not make it right."  This guy followed those orders for YEARS, yet you are willing to pardon him for that *and* for the actual bona fide crime of leaking classified information?
June 11, 2013, 01:43:48 AM
I would have to take off work for a couple of years to make it happen.
YEARS?  Shocked Shocked Shocked Holy moly. I think he'd turn down the offer... If he's still alive.

Is it because you are planning to sail most of the voyage? Surely some use of an engine would be warranted... How long would it take using engines the whole way? How many stops for refuel would that take?

It's almost time for the northwest passage to open up again this summer, surely you're just a bit tempted to slip through there?  Grin

Activity: 810
June 11, 2013, 01:17:56 AM
If you want to send him bitcoins, don't send it to him directly...

I was thinking the opposite.  If we could be absolutely sure that we had a valid Bitcoin address for the real Edward Snowden, this would be a great opportunity for him, freedom, privacy, and for Bitcoin.

Donations should come from everyone in this forum, most people who use Bitcoins, and (drum roll please) many freedom-loving people all over the U.S. and around the world who would instantly have a reason to download a Bitcoin wallet and put something in it, so that they could help Edward Snowden.

Do we have any trusted boots on the ground in Hong Kong to try to contact Edward Snowden?

+1
legendary
Activity: 905
June 11, 2013, 01:15:45 AM
If you want to send him bitcoins, don't send it to him directly...

I was thinking the opposite.  If we could be absolutely sure that we had a valid Bitcoin address for the real Edward Snowden, this would be a great opportunity for him, freedom, privacy, and for Bitcoin.

Donations should come from everyone in this forum, most people who use Bitcoins, and (drum roll please) many freedom-loving people all over the U.S. and around the world who would instantly have a reason to download a Bitcoin wallet and put something in it, so that they could help Edward Snowden, wherever he goes.  The blockchain would document the overwhelming support that he has.

Do we have any trusted boots on the ground in Hong Kong to try to contact Edward Snowden and take a photo of him holding up a note with a hand-written Bitcoin address?

I am ready to give him a donation.  I think he needs help.

Activity: 453
Merit: 250
June 11, 2013, 12:57:31 AM
From what I have read, these are facts:

• He was not working for a foreign government
  • He did not reveal the info for money
  • He concluded that his agency was breaking the law
  • He was selective about what he revealed
  • He went public at a great personal cost

...and he made public illegal activity by public officials ( breach of everyones 4th amendment rights ), so he is a whistleblower and should be protected. The senators that were briefed and approve of this should stand trial for conspiring to commit civil rights violations along with the NSA, FISA court judges, and the President.

+1
Activity: 126
June 11, 2013, 12:50:26 AM
If you want to send him bitcoins, don't send it to him directly, send it to someone with a great little sailboat that can sneak him to Iceland.

Tom, you got the kind of boat needed?  Grin

Yep, but I would have to take off work for a couple of years to make it happen.  You going to cover my salary?

I'm based west coast of the US.  I figure it would take the better part of a year to get to him in whatever East Pacific refuge he is hiding in.  From there, it is probably easier to reverse course and head around South America before going north to Iceland.

Of course, depending on global warming, it might make more sense to top off the diesel tanks and make a dash across the Arctic Sea.  I don't have any good data on sailing conditions there during the summer months so I would have to plan on motoring the full distance.  Couldn't make any port visits in Alaska or Russia unless I'm smuggling him.

Probably just be easier to buy a boat in the Philippines and start from there.

This Formosa / Peterson 46 Cruising Yacht For Sale looks like a good choice:
http://www.pgyc.org/sail-boats-for-sale.php

Arctic Sea Ice

June 11, 2013, 12:22:01 AM
If you want to send him bitcoins, don't send it to him directly, send it to someone with a great little sailboat that can sneak him to Iceland.

Tom, you got the kind of boat needed?  Grin
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
June 11, 2013, 12:03:59 AM
Obama pressured over NSA snooping as US senator denounces 'act of treason'

Information chiefs worldwide sound alarm while US senator Dianne Feinstein orders NSA to review monitoring program.

World leaders seek answers on US collection of communication data

Data protection chiefs and analysts in EU, Pakistan, South Africa and Canada express concerns at revelations in leaks.

US lawmakers call for review of Patriot Act after NSA surveillance revelations

White House insists it welcomes 'appropriate debate' after Republican leadership questions implementation of security act.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
June 10, 2013, 11:52:18 PM
There exists a classified whistle blower process.  Essentially, it allows someone inside a classified program to contact an investigative agency that has individuals cleared for access to the program.

I think you are being naive if you think such a process would have given him protection in this case. He was basically exposing systemic criminality by the intelligence agencies and you expect them to offer him protection for doing so?... Get real dude, these guys are playing for all the marbles, which is exactly what he is saying and exposed to be true.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
June 10, 2013, 11:49:02 PM

...and he made public illegal activity by public officials ( breach of everyones 4th amendment rights ), so he is a whistleblower and should be protected. The senators that were briefed and approve of this should stand trial for conspiring to commit civil rights violations along with the NSA, FISA court judges, and the President.

There exists a classified whistle blower process.  Essentially, it allows someone inside a classified program to contact an investigative agency that has individuals cleared for access to the program.

Snowden does not appear to have used this process.  A claim to be a "whistleblower" will be difficult to sustain in the face of this.

The basic problem is that what he did _was_ illegal.  It was also morally the right choice.

The judicial branch is not well set up to handle that.  The executive branch will want to hang him high.  The legislative branch will run around in circles, as always.

Snowden's best bet is to become very hard to find and wait for the next US President to issue him a pardon.

When was the last time someone used such a service successfully? Sounds like possible psyops to me
Activity: 126
June 10, 2013, 11:23:52 PM

Snowden does not appear to have used this process.  A claim to be a "whistleblower" will be difficult to sustain in the face of this.

The basic problem is that what he did _was_ illegal.  It was also morally the right choice.

The judicial branch is not well set up to handle that.  The executive branch will want to hang him high.  The legislative branch will run around in circles, as always.

Snowden's best bet is to become very hard to find and wait for the next US President to issue him a pardon.

Activity: 10
Merit: 0
June 10, 2013, 10:58:21 PM

legendary
Activity: 905
June 10, 2013, 08:42:38 PM

Pages:
Jump to: