Pages:
Author

Topic: BitCoins for Edward Snowden. - page 13. (Read 30961 times)

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
Touchdown
June 19, 2013, 06:49:38 AM
You might not have been paying attention ...
You know they have the death penalty in the U.S and people have been talking about how the government are considering targeting U.S Citizens they think are terrorists right?
Did I miss something? Huh

There are lots of so-called whistleblowers sitting in the US, none of whom have disappeared or otherwise died young.

Immediately Snowden went public he was safe (at least from US authorities). Sure, he'd be jailed pretty quickly (he committed a crime) and wouldn't be able to do the interviews and Q&As he's currently conducting from HK - nor flirt with China and Russia to secure his long term liberty - but physically safe nonetheless.

Do you really think the NSA, CIA or whoever would try to kill Snowden? I say again, absurd.
legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008
June 19, 2013, 06:39:54 AM
The bickering about the power structure of HK is pointless; Snowden could be on the moon by now.

He seems smart enough to formulate a simple plan like: "Tell everyone I'm trying to head to Iceland next, but sneak down to my secret bungalow in the Seychelles the minute this reporter leaves the room."

People like you are part of the problem, not the solution.
+1

yes, the government should operate within the law.  Oversight committees have direct responsibility for making sure that happens.  There should be consequences for illegal activities.  Heads should roll.  Time for everyone to consider the legality of what the NSA does.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Did you hear about that country that started up in the 1770s as the greatest experiment ever in small government?
It only took ~230 years to become the world's most bloated and restrictive government in history.

This has happened before a few times... But never this large.

Sadly, it always ends the same way, so we can fully expect for that particular experiement to end a lot noisier:

(Hence many people's interest in bitcoin here.)

Anyway, what we learned from that failed experiment is: The smaller you make a government without actually removing the government entirely, the less structure there is in place to actually curb the growth of the government.

So with all of this in mind, are you really trying to just keep the status quo moving along as usual? More oversight committees? More regulations? Hoping the problems will go away if we just get one more good man in some public office somewhere?  Roll Eyes

EL OH EL at the 700+ DEATH THREATS the author got in the comments below.

Here's one for you too:  Please go die in a fire.

Great post BTCLuke Cheesy 

The only surprising thing to me here is:  a long bitcointalk thread where nobody questions the official story of the MSM. 

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
June 19, 2013, 06:21:59 AM
Snowden isn't in any danger at all (except, perhaps from kidnap by foreign intelligence operatives).

It's absurd to think the US authorities would try to kill him. He would have been perfectly safe had he stayed in the US too.

You know they have the death penalty in the U.S and people have been talking about how the government are considering targeting U.S Citizens they think are terrorists right?
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
June 19, 2013, 05:08:36 AM
Snowden isn't in any danger at all (except, perhaps from kidnap by foreign intelligence operatives).

It's absurd to think the US authorities would try to kill him. He would have been perfectly safe had he stayed in the US too.

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
Touchdown
June 19, 2013, 04:57:00 AM

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
June 19, 2013, 04:50:07 AM
I just don't get it, why HongKong? what the fuck, he's going to get extradited.
why didn't he just go to HongKong, out of reach of the Americans, THEN go to Iceland, THEN TELL YOUR STORY.
balls.

edit: I don't buy the 'i couldn't reach iceland in the short time'.
earning $120k a year and your telling me he couldn't sit at HKG, pay in cash/credit for the first flight out to KEF?

He was worried that he would have been captured in Iceland before he had a chance to go public.  Iceland is small and the US can exert enormous pressure and maybe even have its agents operated directly there.  Hong Kong, under China's umbrella, would not suffer from those same risks.  Did you see that Snowden said he would have had to give the NSA 30-days of notice before he left the country?  He was worried he might not have even made it to Hong Kong without being nabbed right off the airplane.

The good news :

Snowden says encryption is safe.  It must be. Otherwise how could he be giving all these interviews out in the open?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1020
June 19, 2013, 04:43:41 AM
why didn't he just go to HongKong, out of reach of the Americans, THEN go to Iceland, THEN TELL YOUR STORY.
balls.

earning $120k a year and your telling me he couldn't sit at HKG, pay in cash/credit for the first flight out to KEF?

He was worried that he would have been captured in Iceland before he had a chance to go public.  Iceland is small and the US can exert enormous pressure and maybe even have its agents operated directly there.  Hong Kong, under China's umbrella, would not suffer from those same risks.  Did you see that Snowden said he would have had to give the NSA 30-days of notice before he left the country?  He was worried he might not have even made it to Hong Kong without being nabbed right off the airplane.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
June 19, 2013, 04:31:47 AM
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
June 19, 2013, 03:25:26 AM
Listening to some of the politicians in Hong Kong speak today it seemed like much of Hong Kong actually supports what he's doing and will be helping to delay the extradition process as long as possible, possibly years.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
June 19, 2013, 01:44:14 AM
balls.

legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
June 19, 2013, 01:14:11 AM
I'm surprised I haven't seen any of you mention the real use for PRISM.

Banks don't care about deposited capital.  They "invest" by using free money from the FED and insider information to front-run their own customers.  This predatory collusion between bankers and government is the entire reason Bitcoin exists.
Activity: 199
June 13, 2013, 05:09:43 PM
If this is the price I have to pay to significantly reduce the chance my legs will be blown off, then so be it.

Reducing your chance from 0.00001% to ...what?
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004
June 13, 2013, 05:45:37 AM
If this is the price I have to pay to significantly reduce the chance my legs will be blown off, then so be it.

Oh, so you admit that you're what's wrong with America?

Grin Grin Grin

Governments being fascist and evil INCREASES the number of terrorists. But continue to live in your silly dream world where the NSA spying on grandma actually helps to reduce terrorist attacks. Grin

Oh, by the way, asking if someone is 13 is just as much an ad hom as that person calling you a complete idiot. Just thought I'd point that out. Carry on...

(Please, let's all carry on nitpicking about how much money Snowden made and his girlfriend's occupation and how long he worked for the NSA contractor. I think we can tell who in this thread sees the big picture and who has spent too much time watching the evening news.)

+1

Gallup: Democrats even more dumb than Republicans:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163043/americans-disapprove-government-surveillance-programs.aspx
donator
Activity: 674
Merit: 522
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
June 13, 2013, 04:20:27 AM
If there's anyone who wants to support Snowden beyond just sending him money, I suggest you sign this: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/pardon-edward-snowden/Dp03vGYD
Activity: 154
June 13, 2013, 03:04:12 AM
yeah, let's make this about the leaker because that really is the issue isn't it ...  Roll Eyes

I'm just wondering how a personal transaction-graph built up from all of this intercepted material is NOT a violation of 4th amendment? Doesn't that constitute a search?

HOW IS IT ONLY $20M A YEAR?!
legendary
Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163
Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos
June 13, 2013, 02:58:41 AM
Anyhow perhaps I'm misguided. Can you please tell me in plain English, exactly what this "hero" has told us that any human with two connected brain cells didn't already know?

I'll take up this challenge.

What Snowdens leak has done is to firmly put the topic of online surveillance into serious public discourse, away from a domain which would be dismissed as "conspiracy theory" by many people.

And yes, lots of people who are paying attention (hint: not many actually do) can add 2 + 2 together and realize that the government probably has a program for surveilling the flow of data in place. What this situation does however, is to make this topic much more immediate and tangible, again pushing it from dusty corners and niches of society into the forefront and mainstream debate. That is a great achievement in my opinion. The only way to stop the development of police states seems to be a critical mass awareness of the population (think V for Vendetta final scene).

Anyway could we please stick to the topic?

Personally I think Snowdens situation and Bitcoin are a great match and could benefit greatly from each other. Has anyone come up with an idea how to contact the guy/let him know about the huge support lying in wait just for him to reveal an address?
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
June 12, 2013, 11:54:06 PM
marcus_of_augustus is telling you right.
Activity: 183
Merit: 111
June 12, 2013, 11:27:05 PM

Oh, so you admit that you're what's wrong with America?

Grin Grin Grin

Governments being fascist and evil INCREASES the number of terrorists. But continue to live in your silly dream world where the NSA spying on grandma actually helps to reduce terrorist attacks. Grin

Oh, by the way, asking if someone is 13 is just as much an ad hom as that person calling you a complete idiot. Just thought I'd point that out. Carry on...

(Please, let's all carry on nitpicking about how much money Snowden made and his girlfriend's occupation and how long he worked for the NSA contractor. I think we can tell who in this thread sees the big picture and who has spent too much time watching the evening news.)

The age query was serious, I don't think there's a min. age requirement here.

Anyhow perhaps I'm misguided. Can you please tell me in plain English, exactly what this "hero" has told us that any human with two connected brain cells didn't already know?

Pages:
Jump to: