Pages:
Author

Topic: Braiins OS & Braiins OS+ custom ASIC firmware: optimize performance & efficiency - page 2. (Read 45024 times)

legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1561
CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang
You can of course modify the open source bosminer and adapt it to use it the same way they did for cgminer.

Consider the S9 supported there as your base template.

Braiins also develops a closed source version which is used in Braiins OS+, the main difference is the autotuning algorithm and some features such as pre-heating, no hashing when connection is lost, etc.

We don't have any information as to what or when would the open source version get updated. I think if people starts modding it, those changes might actually make it back upstream. Isn't this the spirit of the open source community?

Feel free to add the support of the chips you want, if you distribute it publicly you are required to share back the code changes like other open source projects.

If you are a company or asic manufacturer and have some other business proposals, maybe involving the closed source version, feel free to contact Braiins directly using the form at the bottom of this page:

https://braiins.com/os/plus/partnership
Activity: 952
Merit: 938
Does this firmware support S9 Hydro?

** Braiins OS+ currently supports: **
Bitmain Antminer S9, S9j, S9i. (No Hydro, K, SE; dual/pro)
Control board C41. (Use slot 6,7,8; no C5, Cyclone or T9+ blue)

Bitmain Antminer S17, S17 Pro, S17+, S17e; T17, T17+, T17e.
Control boards C52, C49. (Use slot 0,1,2; No aftermarket)

** Early access (beta testing): **
Bitmain Antminer S19, S19 Pro, T19, S19j Pro, S19j, S19 A, S19j A, S19j A Pro, S19j A. (No i; +)
Control boards C71, C55, C52, C49. (Use the first 3 slots; No BeagleBone or Amlogic)

** Development pipeline: **
MicroBT Whatsminer M20S, M21S.

** Get notifications from: **
Braiins OS+ web page https://braiins.com/os/plus
Braiins Announcements Telegram channel to: https://t.me/Braiins
Braiins OS+ support Telegram group https://t.me/BraiinsOS

Any plans on supporting things like the GekkoScience Compac F?

Also, is the github project (https://github.com/braiins/braiins/tree/bos-devel/open/bosminer) up to date with the latest development?, seems like it hasn't been updated for 2 years.
legendary
Quote from: Jake C
I'm in the beginning stages of testing for my client using S19Pro 110's and we've had to bring in his electrician to double check that we're reading everything correctly.  On 277V, stock firmware reads 111Th @~3100W.  With Braiins tuned at 3250, we're getting 107Th @~2450W.  Currently doing a trial run on 4 machines and have bumped the power limit to 3600.  The client does have excellent ventilation though, which can have a big effect on results.  Long story short, it is absolutely worth the Dev Fee to at least try it out on your machine.  Make sure to measure at the wall though.  As good as the firmware is, the power consumption  is about useless.  They'll get it fixed at some point though.

So, 27.9 J/TH using factory firmware, vs 22.8 J/TH using Braiins OS+. Is it already reaching the "XP" (next gen) published miner efficiency like it did with the x17?

As for the (estimated) power consumption, like the release notes mentioned, it is still a work in progress. The current version is 2022-03-21 and some improvements have been made, including support for the A series.
Activity: 38
Merit: 1
any real world data on T17 ? Ideally with upgraded hashboards which should help temps under control/efficiency?

thanks
legendary

** Braiins OS+ currently supports: **
Bitmain Antminer S9, S9j, S9i. (No Hydro, K, SE; dual/pro)
Control board C41. (Use slot 6,7,8; no C5, Cyclone or T9+ blue)

Bitmain Antminer S17, S17 Pro, S17+, S17e; T17, T17+, T17e.
Control boards C52, C49. (Use slot 0,1,2; No aftermarket)

** Early access (beta testing): **
Bitmain Antminer S19, S19 Pro, T19, S19j Pro, S19j, S19 A, S19j A, S19j A Pro, S19j A. (No i; +)
Control boards C71, C55, C52, C49. (Use the first 3 slots; No BeagleBone or Amlogic)

** Development pipeline: **
MicroBT Whatsminer M20S, M21S.

** Get notifications from: **
Braiins OS+ web page https://braiins.com/os/plus
Braiins Announcements Telegram channel to: https://t.me/Braiins
Braiins OS+ support Telegram group https://t.me/BraiinsOS
Activity: 446
Merit: 347
no ... But join my discord if you want test my mod Wink
donator
Merit: 262
Interesting.
legendary
User provided results for S19 Pro:

Remember that support for this family of miners is still in "Early access" and work is in progress for further tuning improvements, especially for those not doing immersion.
legendary
Which is why you just disable the detection of those fans. The detection works with common fans, but some random brands do that.

Setting a fan to 1% is no reason for the fan to stop talking, but well, at least it didn't go to full RPM like some other random brands do...
Activity: 9
Merit: 0

I replaced the fans with delta Delta AFC1212DE 12038 12cm 120mm DC 12V 1.6A, 4500rpm
With these, the miner restarts every 20 seconds immediately after the start.
When I set the fans to manual restarts they stop.
How to solve this, I would like to have fans at automatic speed.

This happened to me too.

The problem is that at startup / warmup the software sets the fan speed to a very low value (1% in my case)  and then it complains that the fan is missing when it sees the rpm value drop below a certain (unknown) level. My fan was doing 120 rpm with the 1% command.

I opened a support ticket and was basically told it was all my problem.  That they had seen this with 3rd party fans.

I offered the solution of not checking fan rpm minimum unless the commanded speed level was above, say, 10%. This type of checking is normal for anyone that has done actual real world hardware control.

They said that they may include a "feature" sometime in the future that will allow a user to set some minimum level.

legendary
There's no lies there. I repeated things I heard from others about kaboomracks, not from kaboomracks.
So you just repeat lies like a parrot from "others"...

And yet again, you ignore the facts. Your sole purpose here is to seed FUD is it?
Did i not tell you that there are no added fees at all? YOU seem to have reading difficulties.
So, are you going to ignore the facts? Your lie will stand because you say so? Ask THEM who they deal with and don't involve others in your delusions.

Slushpool or braiins has a history of stealing from it's customers  Shocked
Says the fake account made with the sole purpose of promoting GPL infringement. You must be laughing at Kano as usual...

Yeah it’s dogshit firmware.   Fucking thing couldn’t even figure out it had one fan down and sat there tuning for 3 days and cooked 3 more hash boards.   Fancy interface though if you don’t mind feeding it hash boards!
There is Dangerous Temperature, Hot Temperature, and Minimum required fans. Unless you tampered with those or switched temperature control to disabled, this cannot happen. x17 fail on their own when a heatsink loses adhesion due to manufacturing defects (poor quality soldering tin used in the heatsinks), no firmware can save you from that.

As i have said countless times in this thread, Braiins OS can be used straight from the SD card without ever installing it. Read the docs.
It is your sole responsibility to use it, nobody is forcing you to. Installing to NAND is OPTIONAL, again, nobody is forcing you to.

If you installed to NAND, after testing plenty while running from SD, affirming twice your intention but still decide to remove it later, use the bos-toolbox to uninstall. If you messed the NAND by incorrectly trying other sd "recovery" methods, then you have to install Braiins OS from SD again and then use bos-toolbox uninstall.
Activity: 25
Merit: 24
Yeah it’s dogshit firmware.   Fucking thing couldn’t even figure out it had one fan down and sat there tuning for 3 days and cooked 3 more hash boards.   Fancy interface though if you don’t mind feeding it hash boards!
Activity: 6
Anyone know how I can get a S17 back to the factory firmware? 

Did it break your miner too. They should cover our losses they don't care about our hardware just our hashrate.
Activity: 25
Merit: 24
Anyone know how I can get a S17 back to the factory firmware? 
Activity: 6
Slushpool or braiins has a history of stealing from it's customers  Shocked
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 1783
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
So I have a questions about this.

I've heard that kaboomracks pays you to use your bos and also gather fees for themselves.

It seems it may total as high as a 9% fee.

What say you?
Seems a pretty straight forward question. first line and last line

You having reading difficulty?

Yet you started ranting about it as me spreading lies, to hide from it.

There's no lies there. I repeated things I heard from others about kaboomracks, not from kaboomracks.
So the questions I left quite blatantly open was What say you?

... and yes your site states that it does allow companies to gather fees through using your bos.
But of course I doubt you'd say who does do that, or up until when they did.

Your PM to me saying they don't do it now, doesn't mean they didn't do it in the past either.
I left it up to you to clear it up and you ranted and raved about it.

--

P.S. ranting that you don't like my pool seems a rather amusing thing to do.
As I stated clearly when I changed the N in the PPLNS,
if anyone left and wouldn't stay on the pool, that's their loss for leaving.
But even then it only takes 3 days to get back up to full 'ramp'

Also pretending the other issues I posted never happened is rather amusing Smiley

--

Also telling me that I should have done something with firmware ...

Well ... funny you should say that ... you probably should see who it was that made the firmware patches for the S1/S2/S3
... whoops ... that was me Tongue
legendary
The best known current efficiency records (reported by users) using Braiins OS+ are:

With the S9: 12TH @ 70 J/TH (Bas Laurier)
With the S17+: 53TH @ 29 J/TH (Bas Laurier)
With the S19 Pro: 110TH @ 26.6 J/TH (Jeremy)*
All cases measured at the wall.

Efficiency, is what produces more long term profits, not brute speed. Its not just electricity price, it is the environmental managing (noise/heat) and the increase of downtime from stressing more the components.

The reason why an S19 is better than an S17, or an M30S better than a M20S, is that, efficiency. The amount of watts each TH/s needs. And the more machines you have, the more it weights.

Those who go crazy with speed, end losing. If they overclock their S19, making them perform worse than the S17, then anyone could by buying two S17 and making them efficient, produce more TH/s, use less electricity and pay less in machine costs (because 2 S17 cost less than 1 S19).

The excuse that "my electricity is free" is invalid, because even if they may not pay (which by the way would be very dubious, someone pays, always) this isn't going to save them from not being able to make use of the full capacity of the load to the max, or from frequent downtime due to maintenance and repairs.

"Less (power) is more (profit)".

*S19 family support is in early access and is a work in progress, expect further improvements in later versions.
legendary
Let me remind you that this is the Braiins OS thread, not the Slush Pool thread. I'm not a mod, and unlike your thread, this is not self moderated.

So, repeating the same old story of 2015 that nobody cares about, that was fixed back then. Fact is the pool works and unlike yours, its still commercially viable to use it. Nobody is going to wait a year to get paid, you are solely responsible for this, by failing to act when you had the chance and the pool was still viable. The irony is you let in the factory infringing firmware but blocked legitimate software, well its not like you needed the hashrate anyway...

You and your perfect pool that nobody wants to use. By mismanaging it, you owe the community even more, all the people that simply had to leave after waiting long enough. The ruin of kanopool simply left the community without a viable pplns pool that is not invite only like those whale American pools. Everybody else is PPS or worse (multi coin), only Slush Pool stands alone to accommodate both small and large miners and NOT do PPS.

What has that old story about Slush Pool to do with Braiins OS, the mining firmware that can be used in ANY pool? Nothing.

Whats the point of reading bosminer code? Well, you could learn about the proposal you keep bashing, and what makes it different to other miner software. Then you would learn how the communication works, perhaps even implement it (better?). The changes in the newer versions you probably don't need, since you already know how to talk with those chips. You might as well add the x17 support yourself no? Of course not, you have cgminer...

So what if its also closed source? Is dual licensing forbidden? No, would you rather support infringing cgminer? Seems you do, because Braiins, unlike your former Chinese employer, has not ever infringed the cgminer's license, even back when it was used for a couple of years.

By 2020 Braiins pushed ahead and did the right thing: Replace it. Its Braiins property now, and Braiins can decide the terms of use however Braiins sees fit. Leaving this component aside, the rest of the OS is OpenWRT, not that Xillinx half made nonsense Bitmain (and modders) use. Even MicroBT uses it, and a gazillion embedded devices. It is a more proper distro, even you know that. Braiins forked it and called it Braiins OS adding some minor cosmetic changes and its own miner software.

Kano could have done it, but Kano didn't. All Kano does is bash others for no reason, including the creator of cgminer, as much as you say you coded more, its still the project from someone else. You will never escape this fact, since you didn't want to rename your fork and let cgminer rest in peace with ckpool (software), etc. To add confusion, now people say "Kano's cgminer", well whatever, i told you kanominer made more sense...

Kano says V2 is bloat, but Kano has not proposed a solution to end the clear text situation in V1. Even if you ignore the other features (they are optional, after all) this is already a reality in the current V2 as implemented by bosminer and Slush Pool. The Chinese did something as well but did not spread. Stratum with its clear text json messages keep revealing people's private information to others 24/7. But you don't seem to care since you live in a nice country.

The lie is that nonsense you also repeated elsewhere about a "9% hidden fee" involving an ASIC reseller, why don't you read your own messages? Its right here in this thread and in your pm. Why don't YOU ask THEM instead what is what they use?

Kano read your messages.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 1783
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Download the open source bosminer, learn some rust language and find out by yourself.

What point is there downloading the miner that is not what you are promoting and wanting everyone to run?
That's the old open source version.
My factual comments are about your current closed source miner that you bandy to S17 and above.

Just because you ignored the open Stratum V2 implementation doesn't mean its a "hack". Its properly implemented you know, you could have added it if you wanted, but you deliberately chose not to, its your own fault.

Why wouldn't anyone ignore it? The majority of it is basically Luke's GBT that died and no one implemented a transaction selection for.
WAY too much data.
Needs a WAY too fast computer to run each miner to implement transaction selection.
But it wasn't implemented for the blatantly simple reason that it creates bias in Bitcoin.
Transaction selection should be based on available transactions, not some biased view about which transactions should and shouldn't be allowed.
You clearly misunderstand the point of Bitcoin.

What, are you also going to call clean implementations from zero a hack too? So what if its inspired in cgminer, there is no GPL violation as Con Kolivas was clearly happy with bosminer. So, what are you here for exactly? Are you still trusting baseless (and idiotic) rumors? Still going to bring something from 2015 that has nothing whatsoever to do with Braiins OS?

Um - what's all this crap you stated here?
To avoid commenting on or replying to what I actually asked? ...

Who cares what *you think* happened with the pool back then, it was solved and yet you keep bringing that up. Giving how easy you fall for others baseless rumors and lies I'm not surprised anymore.
It's what did happen on multiple occasions - here's 3:

Firstly quoted from your web site:
"Braiins has been the sole operator of the pool since taking a majority stake in 2013."

So all the below are you.

1) Dec 2015 - during that month, miners on your pool posted issues with the luck during the month.
Your support said there were no problems.
After that month I did a valid and correct statistical analysis of the slush blocks for the month:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13482822
This CLEARLY shows there were problems that slush allowed, in it's negligence, to continue well past the point of obvious detection.
This also CLEARLY shows that either 1) for the first 5 years you and slush ran the pool, you had no useful statistical analysis of the pool to handle accidental (or purposeful) block withholding OR 2) you didn't bother to take note of any of that analysis that would have identified the problem around half way or less through the month.
Your pool result: all miners lost well over 10% of their earnings for that whole month - more than 350 BTC
Your comment: 'problem is fixed' - implying quite clearly: bad luck, you lose, due to slush negligence.
Followup, it was almost certainly organofcorti who told you how to do the so called 'proof' you now supply about your pool hash rate.
Alas, you ignore the fact that it is not a proof of hash rate, it is a proof of a lower limit on the hash rate,
which for a PPLNS pool is quite a problematic claim.
Of interest to also note that organofcorti pointed out a method that would have identified the above problem on the first day of the month.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.13892442
I wonder if you do this every single day to mitigate such losses for your miners Smiley

2) Jul 2018 - two related events:
Slush: 5 blocks diff%  1117%, 127%, 237%, 119%, 509% - a one in 717839 blocks event.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.41534985
The year before, my pool had it's worst ever bad diff run, that no matter how I organised the 5 blocks, it wasn't as bad as the slush luck.
My response was to code a 2nd original share and block test, and reprocess and re-verify the 3 months worth of shares around the event.
Reported all this during and after the event and the results, suggesting it was either very bad luck or FuckHash mining data that was the largest hash rate on the pool at the time. PPLNS hasn't allowed rentals ever since due to the risk issues with rentals.
Meanwhile Slush Official's response to their bad luck above:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.41904145
"Bad luck happens"

3) However, during that 5 block ridiculous bad luck run, there was a new miner on slush pool with 400PH which equated to about 2 blocks a day at the time.
They had no blocks in the "Hall of Fame" for that period nor the week after it.
Slush Official's response to the above:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.43143004
"Hall of Fame is rather "for fun" statistics"
This seems a rather major issue to claim this on a PPLNS pool where reward is determined by blocks found.
This relates directly to the fact that slush's "proof of hashrate" is not exactly that, it is a proof of a lower limit.
A higher hash rate can easily be hidden by using a different coinbase and thus it not showing up in the proof.
Worse, when a miner that is indeed failing to find blocks, it will mean that the pool 'proof' will indeed show this lower limit.

4 Smiley Then of course there's the blatant lie you continue to advertise on your home web page claiming you were the first mining pool, even though you clearly know it is false, and even slush himself knew it since he was involved in the thread where he pointed out when he started slush pool that there was already another (in the same thread).

Fact is Slush Pool has 11EH while kanopool has 5PH. You can now only find one or two blocks in a year and Slush Pool is getting many in a day. Are you jealous or something? Blame your own attitude.
Where exactly did I say this?
All you've done is run your mouth to avoid some of the questions I asked.

But this has nothing to do with Braiins OS does it? So what is the purpose of this message, like the one you did in December? Playing the FUD game now instead of actually coding?

You owe an apology to the community. You tried to spread a lie as truth (again), even after being shown facts.
Where is the lie?
Seriously - point it out.

You still owe over 350BTC to the slush mining community Dec 2015 for your negligence in one incident above Smiley

To each these ideas, when they criticize me, I check the accuracy, and if this is true, I question myself! but yeah ... I also get criticized for "hacking" or not respecting the GPL ... even though my mod (modest) is like opensource, because I don't modify the cgminer code, I only call a existing function !!! and he doesn't even bother to download (free) and check ... but keep criticizing ...

unfortunately that's not how the world has moved forward... there are more or less rotten developers, but I respect them all! Kano including Smiley
Pretending ignorance doesn't allow to you ignore the license.

You distribute a full firmware.

Thus you distribute cgminer in your firmware.

This requires, according to the GPLv3 License, for you to provide the source upon request.

[moderator's note: consecutive posts merged]
Merit: 347
To each these ideas, when they criticize me, I check the accuracy, and if this is true, I question myself! but yeah ... I also get criticized for "hacking" or not respecting the GPL ... even though my mod (modest) is like opensource, because I don't modify the cgminer code, I only call a existing function !!! and he doesn't even bother to download (free) and check ... but keep criticizing ...

unfortunately that's not how the world has moved forward... there are more or less rotten developers, but I respect them all! Kano including Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: