Pages:
Author

Topic: [BTCT.CO] [IPO-cancelled] BTCGARDEN MINER---Eyes to the horizon - page 8. (Read 197987 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
From what I gather it seems yianding filed a report to the police that they were engaging in illegal activities. They were basically trolled by an internet fraudster, and the local authorities aren't being helpful.

Having seen a few documentaries about China and Chinese society I can imagine it went something like this:

After failing to extort funds from the company the scammer finds out where BTCGarden are based and discovers he is in the same city.
The scammer starts bitcointalk campaign and convinces other forum members to complain via email/phone to the local Police station.
The scammer visits the local police and charms them into action based on his and others complaints. He could walk into the station and claim he is a local businessman, throw them a small bribe, and they will take him on face value, put 6 Police in a van and go tell BTCGarden to close down. No investigation, no more questions asked, simple as that. If BTCGarden had put up a forcefull defence they could have persuaded the Police they were legit but with multiple complaints it's easier for the Police to accept that 'evidence' and threaten action if their demands to close aren't met.

We would call it corruption but the attitude of the Police is tied up with the old secret state and the heavily oppressive days of non-reformist Communism. There is still a lot of fear of authority in China and if this scammer is a recognized member of a local Communist committee he would be able to easily influence the Police. Or he may have a cousin working for the Police and you'd get the same result. Remember China is still a Communist State, a progressive one, but it still has a lot of institutional corruption. For these reasons I can believe the BTCGarden story. It may be false but it is entirely possible.

This scammer guy now has some proven history and he will use this success in his next venture into btc extortion. That doesn't mean he would be successful trying to shut down other China based btc companies, it would depend on if he could influence the local Police where the company is based. China is a very very big country and I doubt Police would act on email accusations, he would have to visit the Police station to get them onboard which would not be worth it if that is a great distance from him. Also other companies may have more well connected founders - so if there is a Communist committee member in the family who could back up the company directors that would ensure there would need to be a full investigation  - there would be no 'shut down now' order - and the investigation would find no wrong doing.
Sou
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
(Bitcoin related text here)
Official BTCGARDEN PR, why not Zoidberg?

legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
From what I gather it seems yianding filed a report to the police that they were engaging in illegal activities. They were basically trolled by an internet fraudster, and the local authorities aren't being helpful.

I guess nobody was outright arrested, so BTCGARDEN is playing on the safe side, maybe partly to make sure investors get their money back. Solid judgement and a very good gesture. I hope they could employ a better English speaker to do their PR in the future Smiley

+1 I believe this to be true as well.

If they are drawn into a court case our btc would be at risk.  Refunding it now is the best choice given the options.

Thank you for taking the responsible approach and keeping our funds safe!
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
Here's a potential scam BTCGarden could have been pulling.

1) Do IPO to fund ASIC design, raise a ton of money.
2) Pre-Sell shitloads of ASICs, Pointing to your massive bankroll as proof you'll be able to deliver
3) Realize you just made a double shitload of money pre-selling ASICs.
4) Instead of paying massive dividends use that money to "buy back" the shares at IPO price.
5) Use the rest of the money to pay to finish ASIC production, keep 100% of the profits from chip sales and self-mining

yeah it would not surprise me

I mean who has ever heard of a multi-million dollar business shutting down due to a troll trying to scam them for some pocket change
when more and more fraudsters knows ipo is a perfect way to seize money, it's very dangerous to do so in China, just look at this one: https://btct.co/security/ASICME
it copied BTCGARDEN's ipo programme, actually all Chinese investors know this company is fraud. BTCGARDEN do not want to take the risk of being at the same side of this kind of fraud. so they give up.
and remember, BTCGARDEN is very rich, it's a group of earliest btc players in China, and 32000 btc is not necessary for them to run their plan.

Thanks for that when I see ASICME make a release I will avoid it and remember this for note Smiley

Avalon:Failed to delivery the chips.Lots of people are pissed off.
BTCGARDEN--The IPO issue.

Yep lets hope there are no more extortion causalities
Activity: 63
Merit: 10

I guess nobody was outright arrested, so BTCGARDEN is playing on the safe side, maybe partly to make sure investors get their money back. Solid judgement and a very good gesture. I hope they could employ a better English speaker to do their PR in the future Smiley
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
1. some other people started some serious dumping action
2. many people sold their shares for a loss to buy back later as a result
c: They are screwed

That is BTCGarden's responsibility because...?

Also there's always a risk when you invest in a company. Especially a bitcoin one. Even moreso when the majority of investors here don't truly understand the world these people operate in because we're westerners.

I am Chinese live in China, I do not understand too.

Force buy back all shares just because one random jerk calling to police, it's ridiculous. Ridiculous even in North Korea.

In North Korea,we're all dead men. Wink
legendary
Thanks for the sources well I'm erring on the side of caution but I do need to look into this more myself  Wink
PS: FUU google translator goes line by line  Roll Eyes
鸭嘴兽是一个快乐的表 (...)

Maybe it is connected, but saying it is, because both are chinese is far fetched. If you find anything interesting, feel free to share. Wink Google translate is indeed a pain.. Cheesy

To this moment (Aka last 5 minutes) I'm not sure if that was what it meant or if google trolled me XD
And will do just having fun reading the chinese thread now but I think there isn't a big difference now the news is too recent
http://btcman.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=3774&pid=42302
如果是这样的结果,一个人可以搞坏一个公司,那中国所以的比特币行业包括交易所都可以出局了

Well at least the Chinese sentiment is mostly positive
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024
Thanks for the sources well I'm erring on the side of caution but I do need to look into this more myself  Wink
鸭嘴兽是一个快乐的表 (...)

Maybe it is connected, but saying it is, because both are chinese is far fetched. If you find anything interesting, feel free to share. Wink Google translate is indeed a pain.. Cheesy
Activity: 57
Merit: 0

2) Pre-Sell shitloads of ASICs, Pointing to your massive bankroll as proof you'll be able to deliver
4) Instead of paying massive dividends use that money to "buy back" the shares at IPO price.
5) Use the rest of the money to pay to finish ASIC production, keep 100% of the profits from chip sales and self-mining

I mean who has ever heard of a multi-million dollar business shutting down due to a troll trying to scam them for some pocket change
when more and more fraudsters knows ipo is a perfect way to seize money, it's very dangerous to do so in China, just look at this one: https://btct.co/security/ASICME
it copied BTCGARDEN's ipo programme, actually all Chinese investors know this company is fraud. BTCGARDEN do not want to take the risk of being at the same side of this kind of fraud. so they give up.
and remember, BTCGARDEN is very rich, it's a group of earliest btc players in China, and 32000 btc is not necessary for them to run their plan.
legendary
鸭嘴兽是一个快乐的表 (...)

Well Chinese Version
http://btcman.com/bbs/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=5427
Activity: 182
I am curious though there is a possible air of legitimacy about it
Only time will tell for certain as Avalon also seems to be having these threats set against them
Makes me a bit nervous since AM is china as well but I trust Friedcat more than anything else

I do have a question Aiwill is this related to the Avalon Incident?
For those who aren't caught up on Avalon
http://www.avalon-asics.com/
Not the same problem.

Considering that they are both Chinese and have been given extortion threats I would not dismiss it too lightly for now.
It might be a coincidence but it is worth noting even if they are slightly different cases

"In August 05th , 2013, a chinese BTCer posted threads/mailed us several times at btcman.com with extreme bad tone, threatening that he need to inspect and review our company to see whether we are real and trustworthy, otherwise he would do something bad to us.  Being the nature of the business, such request can not be satisfied."

"With those information, we realize that we were being extorted and obviously refused to transfer first.We banned his account at btcman.com after he continued to attack us there."

"It all begin a few weeks ago when we received an email attached with a PDF containing the person information of some Avalon team members in China. Extortion, a familiar tactic when it comes to the Bitcoin scene and business in China. Threatened to release this information public if we do not pay up; we choose to ignore the demands because the information is quite outdated and some even are inaccurate, making this a low threat."

It seems that Labcoin might have known about this in advance and during their Q&A session they might have hinted at it.
[12:05] <+labcoin_dev> i for one,do not think we're going to see 28nm chips in September, i do not think we'll be going to see any btcgarden chip

I might be looking too deep into this.
Activity: 234
Considering that they are both Chinese and have been given extortion threats I would not dismiss it too lightly

"In August 05th , 2013, a chinese BTCer posted threads/mailed us several times at btcman.com with extreme bad tone, threatening that he need to inspect and review our company to see whether we are real and trustworthy, otherwise he would do something bad to us.  Being the nature of the business, such request can not be satisfied."

"With those information, we realize that we were being extorted and obviously refused to transfer first.We banned his account at btcman.com after he continued to attack us there."

"It all begin a few weeks ago when we received an email attached with a PDF containing the person information of some Avalon team members in China. Extortion, a familiar tactic when it comes to the Bitcoin scene and business in China. Threatened to release this information public if we do not pay up; we choose to ignore the demands because the information is quite outdated and some even are inaccurate, making this a low threat."
Avalon:Failed to delivery the chips.Lots of people are pissed off.
BTCGARDEN--The IPO issue.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024
Considering that they are both Chinese and have been given extortion threats I would not dismiss it too lightly for now. It might be a coincidence but it is worth noting even if they are slightly different cases

Roll Eyes Grin

If you're interested, do some research:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/yianding-109596

The information is even in this thread:

Exactly. He was trying to scam BtcGarden into buying back his "shares" which he allegedly does not own any at all. He was angered BtcGarden did not send the bitcoins first and fall to his trap, so he retaliated by spreading false rumours and tarnish the reputation of BtcGarden. Morever he had a long history of scamming people, spreading trojans, so what he said could be safely ignored.

[...]

This guy tried so hard that he even announced in the chinese subforum that trading has been halted and "burnside stopped GARDEN" when there was the "lock issue" thing.. Cheesy
Activity: 275
Merit: 250

legendary
Only time will tell for certain as Avalon also seems to be having these threats set against them
Makes me a bit nervous since AM is china as well but I trust Friedcat more than anything else

Not the same problem.

Considering that they are both Chinese and have been given extortion threats I would not dismiss it too lightly for now.
It might be a coincidence but it is worth noting even if they are slightly different cases

"In August 05th , 2013, a chinese BTCer posted threads/mailed us several times at btcman.com with extreme bad tone, threatening that he need to inspect and review our company to see whether we are real and trustworthy, otherwise he would do something bad to us.  Being the nature of the business, such request can not be satisfied."

legendary
Activity: 994

Nice theory, only their prices and delivery schedule would have precluded them from selling said shit loads of pre-orders.
Activity: 238

Activity: 234

Not the same problem.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Not sure how a buyback would lose peoples trust in Bitcoin.  If anything, it would earn trust.  Shareholders are being GIVEN BACK THEIR MONEY, what more could you ask for from a failed company?  That's an incredible victory for bitcoin securities. 

Sure dude, let's all just forget the suspicious circumstances under which the necessity for a buyback occurred.   Roll Eyes

In the meantime, keep spinning like a pulsar.  Now that's entertainment!    Cool
legendary
Activity: 1036
Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom
Bet the bought a bunch of labcoin and asicminer shares and made a profit with thr load you all gave them, glad I neve boight at the ipo price, glad I never held Smiley thanks btcgarden I made a few btc from you guys! Best of luck
Pages:
Jump to: