Pages:
Author

Topic: (Closed) Butter Bot!: Premier Bitstamp, and BTC-E EMA Trading Platform (Closed) - page 92. (Read 274784 times)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0
Hi Pablo,
Just wanted to say that I managed to install BBot (the newest version) using 'Developer mode' ('Load unpacked extension'). Works ok, although backtesting takes quite a time (how long does the 1week option takes you guys? I started it 10min ago and it still 'Please wait...' me).
After installing I spotted that the default buy and sell thresholds should be changed, as they're set to buy1:0, buy2:0, sell1:0.25, sell2:0.25. I'm sure that everyone review these setting before starting fun wit your bot though Wink

I just caught that on mine the other day when Pablo took a screen shot of the recommended settings. Before I did that mine was set as you described and I thought it was correct. But I had only ran it for a few days with that setting. Oh about the please wait, I maybe noticed that glitch too, that if it just keps saying says please wait more than a few seconds I just hit it again and it works or I change a setting and hit it.
Activity: 16
Hi Pablo,
Just wanted to say that I managed to install BBot (the newest version) using 'Developer mode' ('Load unpacked extension'). Works ok, although backtesting takes quite a time (how long does the 1week option takes you guys? I started it 10min ago and it still 'Please wait...' me).
After installing I spotted that the default buy and sell thresholds should be changed, as they're set to buy1:0, buy2:0, sell1:0.25, sell2:0.25. I'm sure that everyone review these setting before starting fun wit your bot though Wink

A small question as well, would it be possible to see other fiat currencies (like EUR) in BTC-E? Or are there any API restrictions?

Concerning arbitrage, as mentioned before it only makes sense with altcoins but would be a very interesting addition. Did you plan to move mentioned inclusion of the other trading strategies to the next main version?

Bendit

Activity: 109
Merit: 10
I have 2.08 BTC. If I bought the three month plan and put the rest of my money into bitstamp, could I turn a profit?

You have $243 in BTC at the current rate
The 3 month plan is $89.96

So you're asking if you could get a 36% profit in 3 months.

I would have to say no.
Also: if you have no expectation of the return on an investment, you shouldn't invest.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
I have 2.08 BTC. If I bought the three month plan and put the rest of my money into bitstamp, could I turn a profit?
Activity: 364
Merit: 253
can this run on cryptsy?
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
BuyAnythingWithBitcoin.com
You know a feature I think might be nice since all the exchanges work in tandem basically. Yesterday my BTC-e went to a buy signal but Bitstamp never did. And then BTC-E went back to sell today..So basically it was a loser trade. I would like a feature that my bot doesn't make a buy or sell without the other exchanges I'm trading on having the same signal. Does that make sense or do you think it could be helpful or not?

I did a lot of math today on what it would have taken to not take that BTC-e loss.  In the end, I concluded that it was simply a false trend signal from unique activity on that exchange (possibly due to alt activity).  There are going to be false trend signals with EMA...  yep, statistics show 70% of the time.

People a lot smarter then I have tried to come up with "solutions" to help mitigate these, but I have never seen one that appreciably reduces the EMA error rate.

This ain't magic, it is just a mathematical formula that statistically will keep you ahead of the curve in the long run.

Dreary market last couple of days for sure.

Smiley
You know a feature I think might be nice since all the exchanges work in tandem basically. Yesterday my BTC-e went to a buy signal but Bitstamp never did. And then BTC-E went back to sell today..So basically it was a loser trade. I would like a feature that my bot doesn't make a buy or sell without the other exchanges I'm trading on having the same signal. Does that make sense or do you think it could be helpful or not?

I certainly know where you are going with that, but unfortunately it is not that simple.  While the exchanges normally take cues from GOX (for now), exactly when and to what extent is dynamic.  Go back in the chart data and see how that would have worked out for you, and I think you will find a lot of loss.

A better solution is to be able to test/tune for each exchange, not have to blindly use settings tuned for GOX on all three.
Activity: 22
I am on day two, and I dont really understand the logistics of it, but I will give it a few more days (will be applying for another trial key).

So far, it seems to have sold low and bought high. I am really not sure , but from what i can tell it takes the differences in percentage of the price of atleast two ticks, before it does a buy or sell... But from what I can tell, i dont understand why it does a sell even when the percentage difference is in the negative.. Shouldn't it only initiate an order when the percentages are positive?

But then again i dont really know what the hell is going on, so i will let it hang out for a bit while it does its thing..

I deposited about 5 BTC, and its hanging around 4.8 now from the past 2 days... so we will see

Danny

From the posts today, it is obvious that people are not doing the recommended reading/studying.  This is not a criticism per se, as learning the EMA system from scratch takes time; and you don't _have_ to learn why EMA works to let the bot do your trading.

First, I have no affiliation with ButerBot nor am I authorized to speak for them.  Take this from a user and experienced trader.

1. _Do not_ use the demo as a way to make a short term gain.  _You will lose money_.  Use the demo to see the bot and study how it works.  Most importantly, use the Test Your Settings feature to see what you would have made in the last few months _if_ you had been using the bot, unmolested, the whole time.

There... you are done!  Your next move should be to either buy the bot or not.  Putting money into it short time has about a 70% chance of losing, so don't do it.

2.  Don't believe the "Test Your Settings" numbers are accurate?  Do the math yourself, EMA is one of the oldest trading systems around.  This is just a very good automated way of implementing it.

I knew what I was getting into because I am familiar with the principles of EMA.  EMA _will_ make money in a trending market (like BTC), but it is extremely difficult to stick to the system manually (your brain gets in the way, with what you _think_ you see).  A bot eliminates the human factor and lets EMA shine.  I installed the bot, and lost money the first week.  I was not worried, I know how EMA works.  The 2nd week I got it all back, plus paid for the bot plus more.

Nobody can predict markets, despite what some claim.  This tool lets you actually see what you would have made over the past months using the system... _exactly_ what you would have made.  If that is not enough to send you searching for the Buy Now button, I'm not sure what will. 

Wink
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
I am on day two, and I dont really understand the logistics of it, but I will give it a few more days (will be applying for another trial key).

So far, it seems to have sold low and bought high. I am really not sure , but from what i can tell it takes the differences in percentage of the price of atleast two ticks, before it does a buy or sell... But from what I can tell, i dont understand why it does a sell even when the percentage difference is in the negative.. Shouldn't it only initiate an order when the percentages are positive?

But then again i dont really know what the hell is going on, so i will let it hang out for a bit while it does its thing..

I deposited about 5 BTC, and its hanging around 4.8 now from the past 2 days... so we will see

Danny

Activity: 744
Merit: 514
gotta let a coin be a coin
Thanks for answering my question even though it may have been covered before. I appreciate the advice and the detailed descriptions on the settings.
Activity: 390
Add the the list of wonderful additions to butter that I am hoping for are the ability to test against data from different exchanges (not just GOX), and the ability to tune the settings on the different exchanges individually based on these tests.

Cheesy

+10
legendary
Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000
Did MTGox change their fee schedule and not update their page? The default fee for back-testing in BB is .55, which would be for BTC100 to <BTC200. I doubt most people using this will be trading that many coins ... for now.

Tongue

Just FYI, everyone may want to adjust your fee according to this schedule: https://www.mtgox.com/fee-schedule

Solid point, we will correct this for the next release, we used the fee on hand, we should have double checked that that was the highest starting fee Smiley.

Pablo.
Activity: 8
Did MTGox change their fee schedule and not update their page? The default fee for back-testing in BB is .55, which would be for BTC100 to <BTC200. I doubt most people using this will be trading that many coins ... for now.

Tongue

Just FYI, everyone may want to adjust your fee according to this schedule: https://www.mtgox.com/fee-schedule
I tried the bot out for the 3 day trial period and ended up losing money on it. Has anyone had any success with it? I'm not sure to buy it or not. I have it on btc-e with 5 min frequency, short 10, long 25, buy 0.1, sell 0.25.

The demo version is good for getting a feel for the bot's controls and look, but you are _not_ going to make money with it in 3 days.  Moreover, your settings are way outside the recommended settings.

I have been using it for a few weeks, and have made very good returns.  The bot also has a backtest feature that will show you what you would have made over the past x time period with any given settings.  Punch in the recommended "beginner" settings in the bot, and click "test settings".  Now go back two months and see what your profits would have been if you had let the bot run.

Um, that should really speak for itself.
Activity: 8
I tried the bot out for the 3 day trial period and ended up losing money on it. Has anyone had any success with it? I'm not sure to buy it or not. I have it on btc-e with 5 min frequency, short 10, long 25, buy 0.1, sell 0.25.

This has been covered over, and over, and over. This is not a SHORT TERM trading application. A good chunk of your trades will be losing trades (that's just how EMA Trading goes), but overall you will be up percentage wise. I have about BTC5.5 in my MTGox account, and that number just keeps going up over the past two months. I won't be withdrawing money for QUITE some time. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1183
Merit: 1000

Hi Faetos Smiley,

Those are MASSIVELY bad settings. At 5 minutes, you are really using the bot as a high frequency bot, which it is not intended to be, it is actually a trend bot. The fees probably ate any profit you may have generated. Back testing will show you that the higher frequencies are much better, we are currently recommending 2 hours. The lower frequencies exist because some customers asked for them for testing purposes, they are not recommended. Please see the delivery email or the bot manual you got with your demo for the current recommended settings.

I will let others answer as to profitability (or suggest you peruse recent and past comments). Please feel free to play with back testing and you can see these results for yourself Smiley.

Here are the results for back testing with your settings vs. the recommended settings for the same time period:

Recommended Settings:

Your Settings:

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need anything Smiley.

Pablo.
Activity: 744
Merit: 514
gotta let a coin be a coin
Further discussion on an arbitrage bot...

The need/desire for a bot to conduct or assist with arbitrage, particularly when alts become involved, is based in the fact that there is a lot more math  involved in these decisions then with simple trading.

When trading, buy low sell high.  Sure, the system (in the case of Butter EMI) involves more math, but a beginner can look at a transaction and make a snap decision because when selling high=good low=bad.

Now lets start an arbitrage transaction using alts.  Keep in mind, the market is moving, moving fast, and will change when you blink your eye.  So make the following calculation taking no more then 4 seconds:

GOX BTC=131 LTC=1.70
BTC-e BTC=128 LTC=1.66

Quickly now, which way do you move the money?  The ratios between the alts must be calculated against the ratios between the mains and the exchanges.  By the time you do this manually the numbers have changed.  A _computer_ on the other hand...

... do you guys see what a valuable money-maker an alt-driven arbitrage bot could be?
Activity: 390
Please find the release attached and take a few minutes to upgrade Smiley.

....your mail has no attachement^^

[edit]there we go Smiley [/edit]
Pages:
Jump to: