Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] - Stumptown Miners - Avalon PCB Assembly - West Coast USA - page 2. (Read 30685 times)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
That's some crappy stats
If they work with the existing board design for the gen 1 chips, then they're great stats.

that would be nice, two K16's would be around 50 Gh

but if the lead time to tweak things takes 3 more months it just becomes a scholastic endeavor
Activity: 711
Merit: 532
That's some crappy stats
If they work with the existing board design for the gen 1 chips, then they're great stats.
That's some crappy stats
From tradehill.com:
We are pleased to announce the launch of our next auction. BitSyncom is auctioning their Avalon ASIC A3255-Q48 chips: the second generation SHA256 Processor. BitSyncom will be auctioning off 20 reels of 500 chips per reel. Each chip outputs 1.5-1.6 GH/s at a standard 0.9V, with 2.05W consumption. The minimum bid for a single reel will be 24 BTC.

For more detailed information on the A3255-Q48 mining chip, please see Avalon’s Datasheet. This product has already cleared customs and is ready to ship upon the close of the auction.

Bidders who have deposited bitcoin in their Tradehill Auction accounts may begin bidding as of Friday November 1, 2013, 1:00 PM EST. The auction will close on Tuesday November 5, 2013, 2:00 PM EST.

All bidders that have submitted identity documents since the close of the prior auction should have received a response from Tradehill Auction Support either indicating that their account has been approved or detailing additional documentation needs.
For support related to your auction account, please contact [email protected].
Activity: 816
Merit: 1000
Afaik there are no gen 2 chips in hand yet, other than those shipped to board designers for the contest. 
Are they testing these boards with Gen2 chips yet?
Fantastic! That is great news!
Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Woke up this morning to these two emails from Colin:

They found the firmware bug!!  So far two people report 0 (Z.E.R.O.) HW errors and over 5gh/s.

It's really late, so I'll confirm mine in the morning.

I've got a few work items to deal with tomorrow am, but after that (and I confirm myself) I'll start running boards.  Also need to order the replacement parts.

It was a dumb bug.  Just a matter of time before it was found.

Ok.. Couldn't wait Wink  I can confirm no errors on my unit.  We're golden.  It's hashing right now.

So those of you still in, it looks like we're good to go!
Tolan, I'll send an email to Colin asking about the six chips. I'm sorry you haven't received them yet.
Any word? I have yet to receive anything in the mail nor a reply via pm since Colin's latest update via email that you posted here. Curious what's happened since.

Hey Tolan,

Sorry about that. I'd told Colin to hold on sending those chips and to reply with a status update since you'd mentioned your decision hinged on whether the K16 design was ready to go or not, IIRC. I've just emailed him telling him to go on and send the chips.

Also, here's a status update from Colin a few days ago:
Now for the parts, I'm thinking we may do better just building more K16s for other people with chips or re-purposing the parts on a Gen2 design.  Not sure.  Just that kitting them out in 'refunds' isn't really doable.  If I do get a Gen2 design going I may buy them myself, but that's really speculative at this point.

As for the K16, I'm not sure at this point.  They are hashing, but with ~25% HW that just doesn't seem to be getting fixed.  It looks like there is a problem with the PIC and USB and CGMINER, but I really can't tell if its fixable on the current PCB.  It is taking way longer then I figured it would which is a bad sign... The PIC seems to be underpowered for the task at hand.

And another from him 23 hours ago:
I'm really sure the problem with the current K16 is firmware.  The group seems to be having a hard time as well with CGminer itself.  It all revolves around the USB being the trouble spot.  My hunch is the little PIC can't handle feeding the ASIC's and dealing with USB traffic at the same time.  Should be able to fix it, but who knows how experience the guys working on it are.  It isn't trivial code that's for sure.  USB is a dragon.

I've already written a simple stand alone stratum client.  I'll try to write K16 firmware from scratch that doesn't use USB or CGminer.  This may at least help the others find the issue.  Right now it seems a struggle to debug with CGminer/USB being so complex.  I want a really simple test setup.  This will lead right into doing my own Gen2 board as well.

I'll be back home later this week and should be able to get my test client running with the K16.  If that works, and I suspect it will, we'll be able to figure out some kind of solution.
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
Tolan, I'll send an email to Colin asking about the six chips. I'm sorry you haven't received them yet.
Any word? I have yet to receive anything in the mail nor a reply via pm since Colin's latest update via email that you posted here. Curious what's happened since.
Activity: 176
Is there any update on Gen 2 chips?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3277416

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'm going to go ahead with a group buy, then, as soon as Avalon's terms of sale are available. And again, if you're interested in being notified when that happens, PM me or watch this thread. I'll be announcing it here when it happens.
[/quote
Activity: 336
♫ the AM bear who cares ♫
Hey Ryan,

Is there any update on Gen 2 chips?

If not, I'm thinking it's about time to extract whatever value is left in these boards... what is left over per K16, less parts?
Sorry, I haven't done that yet. Must have gotten busy with other things that night and forgotten to put the thread together. I'll do it now and put the link here. :-)

Edit:
Thread's here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-avalon-gen-2-chips-group-buy-301010

Thanks again, everyone.
Activity: 246
My spoon is too big!
ryepdx,
You mentioned you were going to create a new thread for gauging interest in Gen 2 chips for the boards & components that have already been ordered and / or received. I didn't see any though. Any way to get on board with that? Without question I would back / trust you as a group buy organizer (of course would prefer on-hand stock rather than pre-order). Any info?

Speaking of Colin, he sent me this update last night:

Hi all,

Thought I'd send you all a quick update:  With the latest part swaps and firmware my one built unit has been hashing most of the day without a single issue.

The only thing now is the high reported error rate, but its really looking like a firmware issue.  A great deal of progress was made today by the dev group and I'm getting a good feeling they are converging on a solution.  I'm checking on the progress every couple hours.

Even with the HW errors its around 4Ghash/s.  Not bad.

You should see quite a bit of work submitted to the pool.  Perhaps that will boost spirits a little.  I'll leave it running from now on.  I may take it offline now and then to update or for phone calls in my office.  The fan I have on hand is noisy as hell. Wink

I know several of you have been looking at refunds or putting the ASIC's on other boards.  Still an option of course, but things are progressing and Ryan and myself are doing what (little) we can.

I did want to stress that this board is NOT DIY friendly.  Unless you have another known to work board and a top-tier assembly contractor you'll be in for a bad time.  Most of the other boards assembled by the current dev team, some by contract assembly houses, have needed significant rework and some have failed outright. The only way to reliably assemble a board like this is with high end automated equipment and very experienced operators.

I also want to give my reassurance that the moment the dev team (and myself) are confident the design is good and working I will proceed to build the boards and get them shipped asap.  The parts are loaded in the machine and ready to rock.  I'll work with Ryan to expedite the logistics as much as possible.

I'll keep you all posted, and thank-you for your patience.  I do understand how trying this is.

Ryan, please forward this to anyone else you like (other then the Zefir batch 1 group who I've Bcc'd).

Have a good week all!

Colin Fitzgerald, Founder/CEO
Place Droid Inc.
Activity: 266
The Assman: CEO of Vandelay Import/Export, Inc.
Yes, that includes the boards. We can ship your components to you at this time. Colin has all of them at the moment, so I'll make sure he does that ASAP.

Thanks Ryan! Appreciate the response.

If anyone wants these components, let me know!

I'm going to post this in the marketplace too, but if there's anyone looking for a good price on ~100 or fewer BFL chips, please let me know - I would expect these to be delivered soon.
I have yet to hear from ryepdx since August 26th. He has my chips from batch 1 and I have no idea whether he's sending them to me or going to be able to build them into a miner. I'd like to hear from him when he gets a chance.

Sorry about that. I did get your message and thought I had already replied to it. On top of this, Colin emailed me later that day about a customer who'd been asking for their chips and for some reason I thought he was talking about you. So I figured the two of you had handled it. Looking back at the emails, though, I see now that he was *not* talking about you, but about another customer, and that I had *not* in fact replied to your message. Mea maxima culpa.

Last I heard from Colin, he and the other developers had discovered that some of the component values needed to be changed. He was going to try the new components on Friday, but I haven't heard anything from him about it yet. I just sent off another email asking for a status update. We are still planning on getting chips on boards, but I understand if you want out at this point. Please let me know what you decide. If you do want out, I'll go ahead and refund the cost of assembly plus my margin to the address you PMed me.

Edit: Have you gotten the six chips you requested earlier? They were supposed to have been sent around the end of August.

Thanks for your reply, If boards can still be made I'd definitely appreciate it as if I receive the chips they'll probably end up just being paperweights. As to the 6 extra chips, no I have not received them thus why I was messaging you asking what was going on.If they were sent can you get a tracking number for them when you get a chance? I don't think I gave you the wrong address but mistakes happen.
I have yet to hear from ryepdx since August 26th. He has my chips from batch 1 and I have no idea whether he's sending them to me or going to be able to build them into a miner. I'd like to hear from him when he gets a chance.

Sorry about that. I did get your message and thought I had already replied to it. On top of this, Colin emailed me later that day about a customer who'd been asking for their chips and for some reason I thought he was talking about you. So I figured the two of you had handled it. Looking back at the emails, though, I see now that he was *not* talking about you, but about another customer, and that I had *not* in fact replied to your message. Mea maxima culpa.

Last I heard from Colin, he and the other developers had discovered that some of the component values needed to be changed. He was going to try the new components on Friday, but I haven't heard anything from him about it yet. I just sent off another email asking for a status update. We are still planning on getting chips on boards, but I understand if you want out at this point. Please let me know what you decide. If you do want out, I'll go ahead and refund the cost of assembly plus my margin to the address you PMed me.

Edit: Have you gotten the six chips you requested earlier? They were supposed to have been sent around the end of August.

Hi Ryan, when you say you have the parts, does that include boards? We had previously discussed with my refund that I would like to have all of the parts I purchased shipped to me since, understandably, they are not refundable. Is that possible at this time? That is the last step my refunds with the project (you've refunded labor, steamboat has refunded chips, just need components now).

Yes, that includes the boards. We can ship your components to you at this time. Colin has all of them at the moment, so I'll make sure he does that ASAP.
Activity: 266
The Assman: CEO of Vandelay Import/Export, Inc.
We have the parts

Hi Ryan, when you say you have the parts, does that include boards? We had previously discussed with my refund that I would like to have all of the parts I purchased shipped to me since, understandably, they are not refundable. Is that possible at this time? That is the last step my refunds with the project (you've refunded labor, steamboat has refunded chips, just need components now).

Thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: