Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] - Stumptown Miners - Avalon PCB Assembly - West Coast USA - page 6. (Read 30685 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
What version of PCB are you ordering the one using the PIC QNF ?

I'm using the SSOP version. I already have 90 of them on hand and I'm trying to get more from Microchip. (More on that further down.)

also I guess those of us with chips from ragin have to wonder about those shipping to you....

I imagine he's pretty busy with moving, but the fact that he's moving to a new house at an address unknown to the escrow holder does make me a little nervous as well. Still, it's too early to freak out. I did that prematurely during his group buy and I'm going to try to not do that again.

Regarding the PICs I ordered from Microchip, I called them first thing this morning and waited on hold for about an hour before someone picked up. According to the customer service representative, the PICs that were *supposed* to arrive July 11th won't be arriving until August 21st "due to availability issues." They said I should have received an email notifying me of this change. (I didn't.) The "arrival date" on my order still says July 11th as well.

I'm pretty pissed off. This won't affect those of you coming from Zefir's batch 1, though, since it looks like those chips will be arriving first. I have 90 PICs on hand and only 21 miners belonging to Zefir's batch 1. That means I'll have 69 PICs on hand to handle whoever's chips come in next.

I did manage to find a vendor who appears to have the PICs in stock. Unfortunately the stock displayed on their website did not update after I placed my order, and my order is still "processing," so it's entirely possible that it's just giving me false hope. Still, I called the vendor's customer support line to verify that the stock was actually there and that my order would be shipping today, and the representative said, "oh yeah, you're fine." I plan to continue bugging them at various points throughout the day until I get a tracking number.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
also I guess those of us with chips from ragin have to wonder about those shipping to you....
Activity: 378
What version of PCB are you ordering the one using the PIC QNF ?
Hey davecoin, sorry I didn't reply to your post earlier. I've been pretty busy these last few days.

The PCBs are not being manufactured by Colin. Originally the plan was to go through Colin's usual PCB supplier, who resides in Taipei, but last week he recommended I go through BkkCoins to make sure we get the latest revision. I was also in favor of going through BkkCoins, not only because he is offering boards at a price below what we had budgeted, but also because he does deserve whatever business we can give him. Since we're ordering enough boards to fill a production run all by ourselves, BkkCoins is going to have the production plant he's working with ship the boards directly to Colin to save time. He's told me they should arrive the first week of August. Given the delays on Avalon's end, I think that'll be early enough.

Right now almost everything is together. The one thing I'm worried about is the shipment of 166 PICs from Microchip that was supposed to arrive ten days ago but still has not shipped. I've got a support ticket open with them and will be calling tomorrow. I'll also see if I can get blank PICs from BkkCoins in the event that Microchip completely falls through.

I'm also somewhat worried about steamboat's ability to supply heatsinks. I've been talking with him on the boards and responses from him are generally pretty slow. I've got the final price on the heatsinks from him, but I'm still waiting on a payment address.

Aside from that, all components have either been received or are in transit and should arrive sometime next week.

I've also bought a bunch of these for anyone who wants to connect their K16s together: https://klondikedesign.com/?product=klego-connector
Activity: 816
Merit: 1000
ryepdx,

tldr; Are the pcbs being manufactured at a facility other than the the assembly facility?  I ask because of time differences between the different group buys. What does the timeline look like now that BKKcoins has finished the design?  If memory serves me correct, ragingazn's group buy order was submitted on the 27th of April meaning those chips could potentially hit US soil within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Dave
Activity: 246
My spoon is too big!
Alright, I've sent out the order for the PCBs and I'll be grabbing the last of the components tomorrow. The ordering window has slammed shut! We're at a grand total of 220 miners now. :-)

Awesome.

Miners or boards?

Same thing. K16 = 1board

I meant like miners (people) or boards. I consider myself a miner since I am into it and want to do it. We didn't call picks, sieves, or shovels "miners" during the gold rush. That's all I was asking. I was just curious how many people we were talking about.
legendary
Activity: 1123
Merit: 1000
SaluS - (SLS)
Alright, I've sent out the order for the PCBs and I'll be grabbing the last of the components tomorrow. The ordering window has slammed shut! We're at a grand total of 220 miners now. :-)

Awesome.

Miners or boards?

Same thing. K16 = 1board
My spoon is too big!

Awesome.

Miners or boards?
Activity: 252
You need to order power supplies and fans.

The recommended fan is the SilenX EFX-10-12 Effizio: http://amzn.to/1bCQDfj
(Affiliate link: trying to cut down costs however possible.)

If you're getting a lot of K16s, you could probably just put them all in front of a big box fan and be alright. I'm toying with the idea of making a platform and setting them out in front of my air conditioner's fan. From what I've read on the Klondike thread, the chips are pretty easy to cool if you have a decent-sized heatsink on the board.

There isn't a single recommended PSU, but you'll want a gold or platinum certified PSU from a respected brand like Corsair. The K16s are powered by a 6-pin PCIe connector, so you'll need to have enough of those to power your Klondikes. You can also get splitters and adapters to increase the number of PCIe connectors your PSU can handle. I'm thinking about getting this one myself: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153145

I also have a bunch of Corsair Gold PSUs left over from my GPU mining operation that I might use.

How many of those fans per k16?
Each k16 is ~75W and powered by one 6-pin pci-e connector, right?
Finally, we'll need a usb cable. What's the board end of the usb cable? How are they chained?

I would recommend a single rail PSU as that way you don't have to worry about load balancing the rails.

The 6 pin PCIe is rated 75W, while the 6+2 pin PCIe is rated 150W.

The K16s should be 32W but not confirmed, also it could be double that with some crazy overclocking  Grin

So without overclocking, and using splitters, a 6 pin PCIe could power 2 K16s and a 6+2 pin PCIe could power 4 K16s or a K64.

Load balancing the rails?

I've got a PSU with 6 PCIe plugs, plus 2 from molex adapters. It'll need to power 8 boards. Is that a bad idea because the load will be so small on each rail? (PSU is 1000W)

You will be fine with that PSU for 8 boards. If anything, you may experience issues as the PSU will have only about 25% load. Some PSUs require 50% load to work efficiently   Grin
Activity: 336
♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

If you're getting a lot of K16s, you could probably just put them all in front of a big box fan and be alright. I'm toying with the idea of making a platform and setting them out in front of my air conditioner's fan. From what I've read on the Klondike thread, the chips are pretty easy to cool if you have a decent-sized heatsink on the board.

There isn't a single recommended PSU, but you'll want a gold or platinum certified PSU from a respected brand like Corsair. The K16s are powered by a 6-pin PCIe connector, so you'll need to have enough of those to power your Klondikes. You can also get splitters and adapters to increase the number of PCIe connectors your PSU can handle. I'm thinking about getting this one myself: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153145

I also have a bunch of Corsair Gold PSUs left over from my GPU mining operation that I might use.

Finally, we'll need a usb cable. What's the board end of the usb cable? How are they chained?

I would recommend a single rail PSU as that way you don't have to worry about load balancing the rails.

The K16s should be 32W but not confirmed, also it could be double that with some crazy overclocking  Grin

So without overclocking, and using splitters, a 6 pin PCIe could power 2 K16s and a 6+2 pin PCIe could power 4 K16s or a K64.

Load balancing the rails?

I've got a PSU with 6 PCIe plugs, plus 2 from molex adapters. It'll need to power 8 boards. Is that a bad idea because the load will be so small on each rail? (PSU is 1000W)
Activity: 252

The K16s should be 32W but not confirmed, also it could be double that with some crazy overclocking  Grin

My spoon is too big!

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I also have some spare chips that were planned for K1s. 8 chips ordered in SebastianJu group buy batch 1 (can verify ownership).

1.2 BTC for 8 chips. (0.15 per chip)
Activity: 336
♫ the AM bear who cares ♫
so if i understand your OP correctly, you provide and assemble everything except for chips, PSU, cables, and fans for a 5% markup?

if i don't have chips, i can't participate?

Yes, that is indeed the case.

Since we're all going to need a PSU, cables, fans, and a host controller to actually get our boards from this group hashing, does anyone have any insight or plans they'd like to share?

I've got a PSU that can handle all of my boards (1x PCI-e per K16, right?), but will it actually provide power without the mainboard connector plugged in? Does anyone have a workaround for this?

As for the I2C connectors - where's the best place to get some for a reasonable price? Same for the fans - the boards are 10x10, so are 120mm fans appropriate, or do we already have some sort of heatsink solution...?

I'm planning on using a raspberry pi for the host - cheap ($35+shipping), small, and easy on electricity. cgminer should do the rest.
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
Hey guys, I'll have 6 chips left over after ordering some k16s. I was originally planning to use them for k1s but since that's no longer available I'm looking to sell them. I am from Zefirs batch #1 group buy which was placed around April 10th and was one of the earliest orders placed so should be some of the first chips arriving. I'd like to sell them for around .2btc apiece OBO.
PM me or post here if you are interested.
so if i understand your OP correctly, you provide and assemble everything except for chips, PSU, cables, and fans for a 5% markup?

Yes, that is indeed the case.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
i'm close so if i get involved i suppose i could come pick up and avoid shipping.

That would certainly be an option for you, yes. :-)

EDIT: Depending on how close you are and how many miners you buy, I might even be willing to drive out to you. The cost in gas would be a lot cheaper than the cost in unused components if you're able to buy a sizable percentage of the remaining 53 miners.

i'm close so if i get involved i suppose i could come pick up and avoid shipping.

That would certainly be an option for you, yes. :-)

EDIT: Depending on how close you are and how many miners you buy, I might even be willing to drive out to you. The cost in gas would be a lot cheaper than the cost in unused components if you're able to buy a sizable percentage of the remaining 53 miners.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
Thanks for the update.

Also, can you please let us know if we need to purchase anything on our side, so we'll be ready when the units get shipped., i.e. preferred power supplies, adapters, fans, splitters, etc...

Thanks.

you're in Oregon, right?

Yup. Why do you ask?

Pages:
Jump to: