Pages:
Author

Topic: [CLOSED] - Stumptown Miners - Avalon PCB Assembly - West Coast USA - page 7. (Read 30685 times)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
I got an email asking for more details on how many splitters/adapters one might need in order to power 24 K16s. I'm posting my response here in case anyone else finds it informative:

I haven't done all my homework yet, but making the reasonable assumption that all 8 PCIe connectors are capable of supplying the 75 watts they are each supposed to be able to supply, you can get 16 K16s handled by buying 8 of these: http://www.outletpc.com/jp1932.html

The safe, expensive route would be to do this twice. If I don't have enough operational Corsairs from my GPU farm left, then I'll probably go that route. It may also be possible to grab a couple 8-pin EPS to 6-pin PCIe adapters and then use splitters on those to obtain another four plugs and then do the same with some 4-pin peripheral to 6-pin PCIe adapters and splitters to obtain another eight. I don't know how clean the power coming from those rails will be, but it would certainly be cheaper than buying a whole 'nother PSU.
Thanks for the update.

Also, can you please let us know if we need to purchase anything on our side, so we'll be ready when the units get shipped., i.e. preferred power supplies, adapters, fans, splitters, etc...

Thanks.

You need to order power supplies and fans.

The recommended fan is the SilenX EFX-10-12 Effizio: http://amzn.to/1bCQDfj
(Affiliate link: trying to cut down costs however possible.)

If you're getting a lot of K16s, you could probably just put them all in front of a big box fan and be alright. I'm toying with the idea of making a platform and setting them out in front of my air conditioner's fan. From what I've read on the Klondike thread, the chips are pretty easy to cool if you have a decent-sized heatsink on the board.

There isn't a single recommended PSU, but you'll want a gold or platinum certified PSU from a respected brand like Corsair. The K16s are powered by a 6-pin PCIe connector, so you'll need to have enough of those to power your Klondikes. You can also get splitters and adapters to increase the number of PCIe connectors your PSU can handle. I'm thinking about getting this one myself: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153145

I also have a bunch of Corsair Gold PSUs left over from my GPU mining operation that I might use.

you're in Oregon, right?

Yup. Why do you ask?
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
Yeah, I saw that! Looks like everything's coming together.

On another note, we've gone a little over budget on parts due to only 203 of the 256 available K16s being ordered. This means we have some excess inventory on some of the components that went out of stock early at some of the suppliers. This is relevant because it means a smaller refund for everyone. I'm working to increase our margins a bit again. If you know of anyone considering using Stumptown Miners, please have them PM me as soon as possible. We should be making our final component purchases in the next couple days. I was planning on making them today, but I've decided to follow BkkCoins' lead and let the final design sit in peer review for a couple days first.

We may also go over budget on heatsinks due to the supplier I was talking with becoming unresponsive. If anyone knows of a place where I could get some cheap heatsinks to fit the K16s, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

you're in Oregon, right?
legendary
Activity: 1123
Merit: 1000
SaluS - (SLS)

On another note, we've gone a little over budget on parts due to only 203 of the 256 available K16s being ordered. This means we have some excess inventory on some of the components that went out of stock early at some of the suppliers. This is relevant because it means a smaller refund for everyone. I'm working to increase our margins a bit again. If you know of anyone considering using Stumptown Miners, please have them PM me as soon as possible. We should be making our final component purchases in the next couple days. I was planning on making them today, but I've decided to follow BkkCoins' lead and let the final design sit in peer review for a couple days first.

We may also go over budget on heatsinks due to the supplier I was talking with becoming unresponsive. If anyone knows of a place where I could get some cheap heatsinks to fit the K16s, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update.

Also, can you please let us know if we need to purchase anything on our side, so we'll be ready when the units get shipped., i.e. preferred power supplies, adapters, fans, splitters, etc...

Thanks.

Thanks!
Ah, BkkCoins found more. I'm still donating the parts he needs, but it looks like I can still offer 256 K16s total.
Activity: 246
Merit: 250
My spoon is too big!
Okay, so BkkCoins needs some of the components I bought for Stumptown Miners. I managed to snap up the last few 360nH power inductors before he could get any, so I'm lowering the number of K16s I'm producing from 256 to 250. That means there are now only 56 K16s left.

If anyone has any objections, speak up now. I personally feel like this is fair, though, since without BkkCoins none of this would be happening.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. We would all be dead in the water without him. I hope people tip the everliving fuck out of him when this all comes together (or at the very least that he makes a pretty mint from royalties / licensing).
Okay, so BkkCoins needs some of the components I bought for Stumptown Miners. I managed to snap up the last few 360nH power inductors before he could get any, so I'm lowering the number of K16s I'm producing from 256 to 250. That means there are now only 56 K16s left.

If anyone has any objections, speak up now. I personally feel like this is fair, though, since without BkkCoins none of this would be happening.
My spoon is too big!
I'm still getting requests for orders via PM, and that's fine by me. I would rather have these PICs on Stumptown miners than have to sell them. I am a little amused, though: it seems like a good number of people waited until after the deadline to make their decision, since we've gone from 71 K16s ordered from before the deadline to 167. I have capacity for 256 K16s, and once we reach that, or once I sell the remainder of my PICs (whichever comes first), we are closed. Full stop.

If anyone still wants to get in on this, feel free to PM me. All orders taken through the order form earlier are covered, but any requests for orders I receive via PM will be contingent on component availability. I also reserve the right to suddenly snap shut the "extended ordering window" if it looks like component suppliers are running low on one of the components on the current BOM.

Assuming I can get the 14 chips, I'm interested in one more k16.
My spoon is too big!
I have 128 spare chips that will be sent to ryepdx from raging that i'm willing to sell.  Anyone that needs chips for this K16 order are welcome to them at cost.  Otherwise I guess ryepdx will be sending me them with my K16s.

Interested in 128 chips, PM sent. Which batch are they from?

I'm from Ragingazn628 group by https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/group-buy1-avalon-asics-chips-using-johnk-as-escrow-finished-177994 .  You can look at his spreadsheet to verify this (row 22).  The chips are already being shipped here to reypdx.  I paid 20.535 BTC for 256 chips, so you can have 128 of them for 10.267 BTC at 1Fy9BFfPS614wcjaG6SoKB5tZUGC1kU48g

Completed! Thank you
Tx ID: d22c94a02bcc673899b6d2aebc917dea09090de290f79b1bbd6c4231f513e782

I will have 8 chips left over for anyone who needs to complete a K16, or if K1's go into production

I need 14.
I'm still getting requests for orders via PM, and that's fine by me. I would rather have these PICs on Stumptown miners than have to sell them. I am a little amused, though: it seems like a good number of people waited until after the deadline to make their decision, since we've gone from 71 K16s ordered from before the deadline to 167. I have capacity for 256 K16s, and once we reach that, or once I sell the remainder of my PICs (whichever comes first), we are closed. Full stop.

If anyone still wants to get in on this, feel free to PM me. All orders taken through the order form earlier are covered, but any requests for orders I receive via PM will be contingent on component availability. I also reserve the right to suddenly snap shut the "extended ordering window" if it looks like component suppliers are running low on one of the components on the current BOM.
Activity: 71
Merit: 10
I have 128 spare chips that will be sent to ryepdx from raging that i'm willing to sell.  Anyone that needs chips for this K16 order are welcome to them at cost.  Otherwise I guess ryepdx will be sending me them with my K16s.

I'm from Ragingazn628 group by https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/group-buy1-avalon-asics-chips-using-johnk-as-escrow-finished-177994 .  You can look at his spreadsheet to verify this (row 22).  The chips are already being shipped here to reypdx.  I paid 20.535 BTC for 256 chips, so you can have 128 of them for 10.267 BTC at 1Fy9BFfPS614wcjaG6SoKB5tZUGC1kU48g

Completed! Thank you
Tx ID: d22c94a02bcc673899b6d2aebc917dea09090de290f79b1bbd6c4231f513e782

I will have 8 chips left over for anyone who needs to complete a K16, or if K1's go into production
Activity: 47
Merit: 0

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

Activity: 47
I'm interested in buying any chips that people were allocating to k1's. I need 14 to make a full k16. Anyone interested?

Activity: 36
Finally, regarding burn-in: at present I think it would be best to have Colin, if he's willing, mine for a while against a Bitcoin address under my control (address TBA), and then disperse the funds at that address to everyone's refund addresses according to the percentage of Gh/s they contributed. I figure that will get everyone recouping their investments faster and will keep Colin from having to juggle a bunch of config files.

I haven't talked with Colin about this plan yet, because I wanted to see what you guys thought first. Does this burn-in plan sound good to you?

Sounds fine to me...

- TBG
Okay, I'm about to start emailing everyone who ordered a K1 and asking them to confirm the refund addresses I have on file. After I receive confirmation of the refund addresses, I will be sending refunds.

Also, I've had a couple PMs come in asking to buy more K16s. I've decided that *if* these people can pay for the K16s before the PICs I need to make the K16s they want get sold, then they can have them. I figure this will help us by potentially getting us to a bigger batch size. They will, of course, be behind everyone else who has already paid. And I'm not re-opening the order form, since any orders that come in at this point are contingent on my excess PICs not all getting sold off.

Finally, regarding burn-in: at present I think it would be best to have Colin, if he's willing, mine for a while against a Bitcoin address under my control (address TBA), and then disperse the funds at that address to everyone's refund addresses according to the percentage of Gh/s they contributed. I figure that will get everyone recouping their investments faster and will keep Colin from having to juggle a bunch of config files.

I haven't talked with Colin about this plan yet, because I wanted to see what you guys thought first. Does this burn-in plan sound good to you?

Edit:
Alright, I just finished emailing everyone who ordered and paid for a K1 regarding their refund addresses. Please check your spam and trash folders if you ordered and paid for a K1 and don't see an email in your inbox. If you don't see the email anywhere, please let me know.
My spoon is too big!
I'm interested in buying any chips that people were allocating to k1's. I need 14 to make a full k16. Anyone interested?
Activity: 462
the refund on the K1s?

K1 price: ~$40

" sent 4.5129 for two k16 & six K1 "

Yes, I'll be sending $40 worth of BTC to everyone's refund addresses for each K1 ordered, assuming we don't get a huge number of K1s ordered in the next couple of hours.

thanks - shame the interest is not there.. probably since they feel asicminer USBees will crash down to $50 soon anyway
Pages:
Jump to: