Pages:
Author

Topic: Economic Totalitarianism - page 87. (Read 345738 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Knowledge could but approximate existence.
August 10, 2015, 05:01:09 PM
Whoops. Kiss that project above good bye:

Update:

The FCC just banned open source wifi router firmware in the United States. All manufacturs selling routers have to lock the firmware down. Permanent NSA/FISA court back doors for everyone.

http://www.infoq.com/news/2015/07/FCC-Blocks-Open-Source
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/kdb/forms/FTSSearchResultPage.cfm?id=39498&switch=P

This comes after hounding of the TrueCrypt developer and suppression of meshnet project at defcon.

It shows that TPTB prefer to take action against the centralized aspects of the system, i.e. the manufacturers. This is why centralization of mining in crypto is so dangerous.

"It shows that [the plutocracy]" (TPTB_need_war) maintains it authority (at least, in part) through plutocratic (note: the political maneuver summarized above is starkly undemocratic) mechanisms of wealth maintenance.
Activity: 420
Merit: 262
August 10, 2015, 08:50:19 AM
I don't know what to make of this Skycoin. There is some technical talent. Appears maybe they are sincere. Yet they post a lot of scary words without sufficient citations to prove these scare monger claims, e.g. the claims of doctor in Texas doing bioweapon testing on prisoners. Is that something you read on some Alex Jones site?

Yet the technical results achieved thus far are not so spectacular but not worthless either (see my analysis of the consensus algorithm white paper in the prior post).

I can't decide if this is scam, or what. Seems like maybe a somewhat technically knowledgeable westerner who is shoestring traveling across Asia who writes the long scare monger posts (which may have some validity but seem exaggerated), and he collects the money and pays the Chinese researcher who did the consensus algorithm white paper?

I really don't know.

I don't know how any one can buy an IPO for something that isn't finished and available for trade  Huh

Is there any mechanism by which Skycoins can be sold, so that people who invested in the IPO can divest if they want to? And others can purchase their coins?

The absence of a trading market is indicative of scam. Skycoin please try to correct this asap.

Perhaps you are legit. So please don't leave IPO investors trapped in a non-transparent market.

Or were they told they were angel investors with indefinite time frame for liquidity?

I am really not trying to rain on your parade. I left your thread for the past months. Recently one of your IPO investors asked if I could take a look at the recently released white paper. So I did as a courtesy to him.

Also I want to say thank you, because I got one of my inspirations for a design from this thread some months ago. So again I recognize there is some technical knowledge here. Just not sure about the execution and organization.

Good luck.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
August 10, 2015, 08:18:39 AM
This dev seems to exaggerate but there may be some validity to this?

Aaron Swartz would still be alive today if he didnt work on SecureDrop.

The United States seems political unstable and people are complaining because the government is running torture centers, doing mass surveillance, destabilizing Yemen/Syria/Libya/Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan and just being evil. Sociopaths gone wild.

There was a doctor who was involved in bio weapon testing on prisoners in Texas and was going to leak because he was upset, and then he gets shot in back of his head in his office and the other professors start getting threats and end up fleeing the state. That was a while ago. Now doctors are being raided by the FDA and then their corpse ends up in a river, with a bullet to the chest and when the body is fished out, its instantly ruled a suicide before any investigation or autopsy. Then another eight related people end up disappeared or violently murdered. Same story.

Same with film makers, people in the media. Investigative journalists. Activists.

Its like there are death squads now.

Generally, once forced disappearances or political purges begin in a country, it can take three or four years before there is widespread awareness that it is happening, even while the authorities deny it. Until then, it is NSA mass surveillance tin foil hat and suicided hunger striking gitmo prisoner tinfoil hat talk.

Those are all indications to leave the country and keep your head down.

I'd like some more details before I take the accusations seriously. Names, dates, ect... If there is a spike in doctors in Texas who "commit suicide" that should be easy to corroborate with evidence, and linking their employment history would give you interesting circumstantial evidence.  

It's like the artwork in at the Denver Int. Airport--doubtful it's coincidence that there are never any Russians in the peaceful group scenes and the bad guy is usually holding a scimitar.

Fear only works if you leave a clue for the subconscious, so killing off doctors in an obviously linkable way (at least circumstantially and for someone paying attention) should glean you more information than some doctors in Texas working on some project--at least if those in charge of the killing squads know the point of propaganda-through-death. You want to cover your tracks, but you also want to leave a (oh so subtle) calling card.  Wink
August 10, 2015, 08:02:08 AM
August 10, 2015, 07:51:22 AM
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2014/06/building_retro_.html#c6672915

Quote from: noonnee
@renke: change hair, clothes, beard, take a false id, go to Ukraine, take a false passport, go to Argentina and live long there...
August 10, 2015, 07:45:55 AM
In general, I think there are only three legit/non-scam projects going right now. I also think when the EU communist nazi fascist dictatorship central committee finishes banning cash, that about thirty percent of the EU GDP that is underground will begin to shift into Bitcoin and the alts. So we may see 2000x increases and about six trillion a year of capital flowing into Bitcoin/alts.

Another developer who thinks anonymity is more than a fascination, but what anonymity features does his Skycoin have?
August 10, 2015, 07:35:07 AM
The good news is software developers are about $2000/month here.

Wait a minute.

David Zimbeck traveled to over seas in order to find developers that he could afford (roughly $2000 a month).

David Zimbeck works heavily with Golang.

And David Zimbeck suggested that BitBay (that wonderfully fabulous disaster of a scam) would work on Meshnet projects in the future.

Yes, three points of contact is pretty slim but I'm going out on a limb and calling Skycoin dev is actually Zimbeck (with the possibility of multiple users of infamy trading account use).  There might be other similarities if one was motivated to do some tedious compare and contrast; or none.  I suspect the latter since I don't believe that a lot of altcoin devs decided to go overseas in order to find cheap developers (correct me if I am wrong).

Be careful with your funds, people.  

I am happy to crowdfund this project even if David Zimbeck is the Skycoin dev. David is a very smart young man and while he had a very shady role in the Bitbay shamble he can make that up to the digital currency community by delivering a good software which I hope Skycoin will be.

I actually would tend to agree.  I have some pretty mass respect for his talent and think that he is capable of it.

I was/am excited for this project but if he is working on multiple projects in tandem with the ill advised collaboration with -omitted- then I think caution is not bad advice.

I'm not here to fud and will leave it at that.  I prefer lurking and supporting on my own whims but thought this was relevant enough to post.

I just expended 30 minutes studying this boy genius who I assume could kick my butt in chess.

http://bitcoinwarrior.net/2014/09/talk-david-zimbeck-bitcoin-2-0-bithalo-blackhalo-nighttrader/

His BlackHalo main innovation is double deposit.

Well I have to raise my hand and blow a hole in his balloon, for the same analogous reason that I (as AnonyMint) did to Gregory Maxwell in his CoinJoin thread.

The problem is DoS attack. If you have to place your double deposit with an unknown party, then you can be DoS'ed to hell and have gridlock.

gmaxwell retorted that the adversary could be blacklisted by coin address but the entire point of anonymity on spending is to enable one to obscuring the payer, thus whoops he can't achieve that without some global blacklist which is about as evil as it gets.

Fail.
August 10, 2015, 06:45:08 AM
OROBTC, here is a kickstarter project that could give us all anonymous WiFi internet access and also make it much more difficult to censor and take the physical internet down every where:

Coal Mine Canary:

If they send out the men in black, to suicide this guy, it proves that the people in charge, kill puppies.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/metamesh/meta-mesh-community-wireless-networks-for-all

Whoops. Kiss that project above good bye:

Update:

The FCC just banned open source wifi router firmware in the United States. All manufacturs selling routers have to lock the firmware down. Permanent NSA/FISA court back doors for everyone.

http://www.infoq.com/news/2015/07/FCC-Blocks-Open-Source
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/kdb/forms/FTSSearchResultPage.cfm?id=39498&switch=P

This comes after hounding of the TrueCrypt developer and suppression of meshnet project at defcon.

It shows that TPTB prefer to take action against the centralized aspects of the system, i.e. the manufacturers. This is why centralization of mining in crypto is so dangerous.
August 10, 2015, 06:05:54 AM
Afaics his abstract paper does not deal with some of the intricacies of the economics that have to be solved in order to make the design actually work in the real world.
You see that often in unseasoned theorists.

Someone asked me in a PM for my opinion of VanillaCoin. I just expended 15 minutes studying it for the first time:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/unofficial-vnl-vanillacoin-041-instant-incentivized-innovative-977245

The DarkPP stuff is vaporware and no details are available.

It claims some efficiency improvements over Bitcoin and Peercoin. Appears the developer is a seasoned P2P networking programmer. If I had to venture a guess, he probably was a former developer of a Bittorrent client.

The main feature of significance is the zero confirmation time research which attempts to gain a faster consensus. Unfortunately he seems to entirely forget any game theory analysis. The Byzantine fault tolerance in proof-of-work consensus is due to game theory incentives given by the proof-of-work rewards. He expects these peers to behave a certain optimum way when they are not being paid to do so. Many faults will be found in his design because of this. I don't have time to go outline the faults.

Satoshi was a lot more astute than many people might realize. If you are going to improve upon Satoshi's work, you need to be very sharp.
August 10, 2015, 05:56:34 AM
Smooth appreciate that coming from you.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 10, 2015, 03:52:45 AM
If I take breaks, the work won't get done in time.

If your body gives out, the won't get done at all.

Anyway, best of luck with the treatment. I hope it is successful.

In the meantime, wellness and not overtaxing your system matter. Find a balance.
August 10, 2015, 03:41:52 AM
I like your ideas. Concur.

Unfortunately with the M.S., I don't really enjoy life the same as I used to. I prefer to work, because then I am not focused on what my body feels like.

So in my mind it has been work, work, work to get money to get cured.

I do agree though I need to get to the gym twice a week at least. The problem is I suffer so much the backlash from the M.S. after workouts.

As I said, sometimes I feel if I could just discard this body, I could smile again. But then when I go to the gym and still able to fly to the basketball rim, I still want to keep my body.

I had glimpses of my old life. I think it was in June, I had this night where I felt totally normal. I didn't want to stay in the house. I wanted to drive around, find the party, the disco, etc.. My gf was very happy. But unfortunately it was only that one night.

There is the thought that if I actually just did outdoor activities all day every day, then my M.S. would improve. I may be making this worse by being inside always looking at a 24" flat screen.

That may be true, but it would require letting this opportunity slip away.

Tough choices.

Thanks. Okay let's stop this. Will get embarrassing. I hope now everyone knows who I am. So there won't be any doubts about me being a scammer or not serious or what ever.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 504
August 10, 2015, 03:30:34 AM
TPTB when was the last time you took a day for yourself to do something you enjoy? Or even just to relax for that matter... While I can't overstate the importance of your work, I get the impression that it's practically in control of your life. Also, on top of that I'd guess you're living with an unhealthy level of stress caused by the curse of your foresight into the calamity headed our way... I wish you luck with your medical procedures and hope you find some time at some point to get out and enjoy some of the things we're used to taking for granted. It's like you said, the world is about to change very soon. Don't let it wear you down mentally.

Also, I believe having a positive outlook affects a persons health and recovery. So here's something I hope will improve your outlook a bit. I honestly believe this.

While most people look at the world as if it were a living portrait, they see nothing but a transient snapshot of the present. Others, however are the "artists" of the world, the "makers", they view the world as a culmination of the underlying processes involved in the creation of this current iteration called reality. You're one of the artists... You can change the world.

This is the first post I've made here in a very long time... I've had a good amount of time to think about the future and spend some time on my own development. Nothing can ever prepare a person to live in a world where they may become "hunted" by their government for no real fault of their own, as witnessed during WW2 and elsewhere in history. That's what I envision is in store for the future to some degree, governments can sway a population to despicable acts during an extended period of depression. Governments aren't losing any force, but they have certainly lost a good measure of "real" control over the direction of society with the technological enhancements in telecommunications and human networking. Additionally, the exponential growth in these areas will make conventional attempts to restrict the use of these technologies a losing battle. The capabilities available to the common man are so much greater now than they were in the last century alone, the outcome of our current trajectory is a wild card in human history... There really is no other time we can reference without finding huge disparities in major factors that may have altered the outcomes.

But just to be on topic to this specific thread I'll throw in my opinion...
As far as solutions to protecting wealth under economic totalitarianism, there are only two that I can see...

1. Redefine wealth into categories of companionship, knowledge, personal ability, and personal property. Then assign value to these for yourself. Money is just an invention with a variable rate that we like to use for transferring or securing these aforementioned things... Money is but one means to a desired end, not the only one, and in my opinion its not a good metric for evaluating personal wealth... The wealth isn't the money...

2. Learn skills that others would likely find valuable when they themselves are also in need, and don't count on any monetary instrument to hold value for trade when the crash happens. Not even crypto will hold value during and immediately after this kind of event. The market will need to rediscover true values and that takes some time...

Basically, there is no way to protect wealth unless you stop valuing it in money. Unless that money also falls under "personal property" aka non state-owned.
August 10, 2015, 03:21:04 AM
Confidental Transactions from Blockstream hides the values of a transaction so business privacy is retained. CN doesn't do this.

It does to some extent because there are multiple outputs with some being change and some being payment (or payments). How they are grouped is not visible, so combinatorially this can give reasonable privacy of the payment amount. The choice of outputs affects how much actual privacy there is in practice and the current algorithm in Monero is not great, but is being improved.

As for size I gather that CT and CN are similar but I haven't reviewed it carefully.

You could hide value with CN. Split your value into small morsels, mix, then recombine through mixes. So then no one knows who owns that large balance.

Or simply use Monero as it is with balances split into powers-of-10 and thus (in theory) no one knows which sets of transactions are really the same transaction. Thus I agree with smooth's statement.

However, I have my doubts as to whether those powers-of-10 balances are not correlated via timing analysis. I don't have a specific algorithm nor research paper to cite, but rather just that we are dropping patterns all over the place. In an ideal anonymity set, everything should look the same, so there is no entropy to analyze.

So thus hiding value has the advantage of removing information that can be used to aid in combinatorial and timing analysis (combined).

Also it has another advantage which I won't mention yet...

In any case, I want to acceded that CN does in theory effectively add value privacy. I am just not confident that Monero is sufficient against the 5 Eyes and powerful analysis research that might be forthcoming if ever these CN coins become popular.

Think of my work as (an attempt at) the second stage of furthering the technology.
August 10, 2015, 03:12:22 AM
No CN coins and in fact no altcoins that I am aware of, have really solved the issue that centralization of mining can cause transactions to be censored. This is an open problem for cryptocurrency.

This is only a problem if the miner can identify which transactions they want to censor by linkability or other analysis. Presuming that you can maintain unlinkability, miners won't censor transactions unless they want to censor all transactions. There's no easy fix for that - if someone wants to spend lots of money suppressing nearly all transactions, you are correct - they can do this.

CN has a viewkey. If the government takes control of the mining because due to centralization they can regulate 51% of network hash rate, then they can require every transaction publicize its viewkey. Effectively the government can force anonymity to be turned off, if they control 51% of the network hash rate.

Being able to guarantee that the mining will always be decentralized, is required to be able guarantee non-censorship.

This is probably the major flaw of crypto-currency.

I do believe I have a design solution and this should be published this year (hopefully). At this point, I wouldn't take my assertion as 100% given, because without peer review and implementation, one has to remember "devil is in the details" and faults could be discovered.
August 10, 2015, 02:53:55 AM
But I am located about an hour away from Melbourne.

If I can borrow or rent a car from you, then no problem?

Well let's see what is most efficient. I need to first organize some details from my end.

Thanks very much! I am more interested to go if I someone can help me find my way around. I am so overloaded on tasks right now, I don't have time to do proper planning on knowing the city layout and food arrangements, etc.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
August 10, 2015, 02:48:07 AM
Afaics his abstract paper does not deal with some of the intricacies of the economics that have to be solved in order to make the design actually work in the real world.
You see that often in unseasoned theorists.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001
August 10, 2015, 02:46:01 AM
That's exactly what I have been looking for, thanks for that link.

I can offer you a room to stay in, and it even has a racing car bed! It's probably more peaceful than the roosters, tricycles & jeeps you're used to hearing over there..

But I am located about an hour away from Melbourne.
August 10, 2015, 02:26:01 AM

I have developed a design that has all the advantages Vitalik describes for private block chains, but on a public block chain.

The scalability white paper he linked to in that article is a more abstract and generalized description of the scalability design I had also invented around the time he  published this paper. This is the first time I've seen this research.

Afaics his abstract paper does not deal with some of the intricacies of the economics that have to be solved in order to make the design actually work in the real world. Also he apparently hasn't realized that it is possible to filter out a 51% attack.
Pages:
Jump to: