Author

Topic: error - page 123. (Read 360500 times)

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
January 10, 2014, 08:38:36 PM

HERE IS AN OFFICIAL POLL TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE DIFFICULTY CALCULATION SHOULD BE UPDATED TO REFLECT MINING POOL ABUSE OR NOT.
WE WILL BE DEMOCRATIC ABOUT THIS SINCE NO ONE PERSON IS IN CHARGE OF RONPAULCOIN.

PLEASE VOTE:

http://ronpaulcoin.cryptotycoons.com/RPCForum/index.php?topic=44.0

This is on the official RonPaulCoin forum.

No bro.
I'm all for democracy(mostly), but - Voting is just another example of weakness.
This is OUR coin, but it's YOUR project. You can listen to us, but you are the helmsman, and it's your decision.

Ride out the storm, and don't bow.

This isn't democracy.

This IS direct democracy. A fundamental difference and should be allowed.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
January 10, 2014, 08:38:09 PM

_________ Jan 10, 2014 NEWS UPDATE _________

A group of RonPaulCoin supporters (Dajackal, instacash, jwill, elbandi, onaboat) are currently working on a new release of the client, including the following highly demanded features:
  • Hard-fork to update the difficulty recalculation time from 24 hours to 1 hour. This will help prevent the difficulty recalculation times from being stuck high.
  • Hard-coded seed nodes into client so that no .conf file is needed.
  • Fixing the tray icon (so it's no longer the incorrect litecoin icon).

We will let everyone know as soon as this new client is ready and will provide instructions for updating it. There will also be a Mac OS client.
If you are a developer and know how to do these changes, please contact onaboat who is organizing this update, and he can include you in the discussion.

Do not hard fork. This is the worst thing you can do. Every coin had difficulty issues in the past. Next retarget will take a few days. So what? The hashrate is still ok. 532 MH right now.

Instead of hard forking, you should try to get some media attention. No matter if its good news or bad news. Even if Ron Paul is going to sue you - the price of the coin will go up.

If you are going to hard fork, I dump all my coins (three-figure).

+1

Thank YOU Sir for confirming what I spent all night explaining, only to have the person, colinistheman, I believed in most to do the opposite.

I am an investor as well, and my sentiments about this coin will REVERSE after the Hard Fork.

Even if the coin doesn't Hard Fork, the fact that it was even mentioned shows weakness...like these people have no idea what they are doing.

You want me to invest my multiple bitcoins in that?!
Like I said, this is bad. And this coin will be entering a world of pain.

Thanks again for chiming in with my very own sentiments, amidst all these opportunistic mine-dumpers.

Opportunistic mine-dumpers? Listen chief the only thing that grants you the ability to shift the coins around is the miners. You invested a bunch of BTC in the coin, congratulations. It takes two to tango.  I decided to gamble on RPC with my hydro bill (out of pocket) and I am renting the farm from my investors at .047 btc a day because this is not a good investment of hashing power. I have faith in the brand however as many people were turned on to fiscal policy by Ron. RPC has one more day to retarget. I will put my hash to the cause to get the coin over the hump at my own cost. After that anyone wanting to rent the 4.1 m/hash can rent it for .047 a day. Hardware and hydro is not free and although I am not losing my shirt I do have investor's interests to look out for. Not doing so makes me an ineffective administrator of their investment. The only value any of these coins have is in the end user's perception of value in the coin. The same is true for any currency. If one of these coins is to work long term it needs to be backed by something tangible. Not generating value out of thin air like the banks already do. Back a premined coin with silver and you will get old money on board.

Anyhow I have read quite enough miner bashing not to chime in. I'm rootin for yah Ron!

Network Info
Difficulty    80.06031858
Est Next Difficulty    14.88709199 (Change in 69 Blocks)
Est. Avg. Time per Block    645.34 seconds
Current Block    12027

If this slows transaction time, so what? Even at its slowest, half a day or a day, its still better than 3-5 business days with a bank. And with a bank I can't look at the blockchain, which I can do here immediately after sending it, no matter how long the transaction takes to complete. Not to mention, if this coin maintains its integrity, there'd be people willing to mine it just to support it, not just to dump it and leave.

And, there wouldn't be so much miner bashing if the miner's who just want to mine dump weren't RPC bashing so much! Its gotten to the point where they have convinced the team to consider a hard fork! And tell me who does that benefit? It certainly doesn't benefit us investors with lots of rpc and a few bitcoins we're waiting to jump in with.

Unfortunately some of the "team" are certainly at the forefront of wanting the fork bc their precious miners and hash are pointed at it as evidenced by the posts previous to this.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
January 10, 2014, 08:33:25 PM
But remember, this works both ways.  What if this coin stays the most profitable for a good long while, and the multi-pools stay on board long enough for 10% on top of 10% for many recalculations?  Then, all of a sudden, something else comes along and they all jump off.  The difficulty only comes back down to earth by 10% and 10%, and you're no better off than you are now.  You're worse off, in fact, because a single difficulty adjustment doesn't come to the rescue like it does now.

You can have different limits for the % of incresing diff and the % of decreasing diff.
You could set 10% max diff increase and 50% max diff decrease. It's just an exemple, I don't know which values could be the right one, but maybe it's a solution.
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
January 10, 2014, 08:32:34 PM
In the meantime, can some MacOSX users tell me if this is working? I want us to upload it to our site and tweet it! MacOSX client is a huge step in the right direction and is getting overshadowed by all this .... other stuff

RonPaulCoin Mac OS X Wallet

Tested on Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 and Snow Leopard 10.8.3. Compiled by instacash.

download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5xj83pl1jim8cd/RonPaulCoin-QT-MacOSX-instacash.zip

zip file md5: 5a24cf6f093447e1c3e235b67e31909d

screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/BpM4RCr.png

If your client doesn't sync, add the ronpaulcoin.conf included in the zip to: ~/Library/Application Support/RonPaulCoin/

Feel free to report errors via PM. If you like this, consider donating RPC:

RPC:   RAbxHkfbisd9MVVNZSVFhnvLEpxdkCaVFa

BTC:   15Db1ZGXW3i5z41mtYCVPhuZMDtmSwbXN3

AWESOME! Error, won't run. I'm on 10.9 Mavericks btw.
EDIT: The client has been fixed and updated

send 0.0001 or any amount you like to RAbxHkfbisd9MVVNZSVFhnvLEpxdkCaVFa
and I'll attach a screenshot of the working client Wink

and +1, Mac OS X users, please test it!
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
January 10, 2014, 08:28:08 PM
There is a simple way to prevent the pain of mine-and-dump.  

All you need to do is limit the difficulty adjustment to (say) 5 or 10 percent.  Here's how it works....

One day, your difficulty drops low enough that you are suddenly "the most profitable coin to mine" and a skillion GH/s jump on board.  They mine the hell out of your coin until the next difficulty adjustment (targeted for 24 hours, but they're likely to solve that many blocks in 1 or 2 hours if they so far outclass the regular miners).  The diff adjustment happens, and your difficulty goes up -- but it goes up just 5 or 10 percent.  You are probably no longer the "most profitable coin to mine" so the mine-n-dump miners all jump on a different coin, leaving you with approximately the hash power you had before, and 5 or 10 percent higher difficulty.  So now, instead of your two-minute average block times you're looking at two-minute-and-six-second block times (5% adjustment) or two-minute-and-twelve-second block times (10% adjustment).  And while the rapid mining hour or two may be pretty silly,  the longer-term effects are minimally disruptive.  

Remember, all the mine-n-dumpers just want to jump on the "most profitable coin" immediately, and jump off it again immediately when some other coin takes that slot.  Getting 5% or 10% harder to mine will usually take you out of the target slot just as effectively as getting 1000% harder to mine, and if the higher hash rate is not sustained, will do so far less disruptively to regular users.  If one adjustment doesn't get rid of them, two almost certainly will -- especially because the coins these clowns aren't mining will be lowering difficulty in the intervening time.  

+1 to this for me too.

I think a hard fork introducing such a huge change as stated (retarget time from 24 hours to just 1 hour) wouldn't be good.
This would change the entire coin too much, and thus it would basically be like changing the coin itself.

But set a limit to the % of the diff retarget could be a valid solution.

But remember, this works both ways.  What if this coin stays the most profitable for a good long while, and the multi-pools stay on board long enough for 10% on top of 10% for many recalculations?  Then, all of a sudden, something else comes along and they all jump off.  The difficulty only comes back down to earth by 10% and 10%, and you're no better off than you are now.  You're worse off, in fact, because a single difficulty adjustment doesn't come to the rescue like it does now.
January 10, 2014, 08:07:29 PM

All you need to do is limit the difficulty adjustment to (say) 5 or 10 percent.  Here's how it works....

One day, your difficulty drops low enough that you are suddenly "the most profitable coin to mine" and a skillion GH/s jump on board.  They mine the hell out of your coin until the next difficulty adjustment (targeted for 24 hours, but they're likely to solve that many blocks in 1 or 2 hours if they so far outclass the regular miners).  The diff adjustment happens, and your difficulty goes up -- but it goes up just 5 or 10 percent.  You are probably no longer the "most profitable coin to mine" so the mine-n-dump miners all jump on a different coin, leaving you with approximately the hash power you had before, and 5 or 10 percent higher difficulty.  So now, instead of your two-minute average block times you're looking at two-minute-and-six-second block times (5% adjustment) or two-minute-and-twelve-second block times (10% adjustment).  And while the rapid mining hour or two may be pretty silly,  the longer-term effects are minimally disruptive.  

Remember, all the mine-n-dumpers just want to jump on the "most profitable coin" immediately, and jump off it again immediately when some other coin takes that slot.  Getting 5% or 10% harder to mine will usually take you out of the target slot just as effectively as getting 1000% harder to mine, and if the higher hash rate is not sustained, will do so far less disruptively to regular users.  If one adjustment doesn't get rid of them, two almost certainly will -- especially because the coins these clowns aren't mining will be lowering difficulty in the intervening time.  

+1 to this for me too.

I think a hard fork introducing such a huge change as stated (retarget time from 24 hours to just 1 hour) wouldn't be good.
This would change the entire coin too much, and thus it would basically be like changing the coin itself.

But set a limit to the % of the diff retarget could be a valid solution.
January 10, 2014, 08:06:45 PM

No bro.
I'm all for democracy(mostly), but - Voting is just another example of weakness.
This is OUR coin, but it's YOUR project. You can listen to us, but you are the helmsman, and it's your decision.

Then go vote no. I agree he's the helmsman but I have 6 M/hs at home I want to use wisely and at current difficulty it's not that wise IMO. Also, telling him he should run things the way he wants then telling him not to put up a poll is sort of circular logic, no?  Grin

Yeah I get that it may look that way. But using IMHO all the time seems redundant to me.
Ofc that I'm not Telling him what to do. Just stating my opinion.
Activity: 907
Merit: 1003
January 10, 2014, 08:04:53 PM
HERE IS AN OFFICIAL POLL TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE DIFFICULTY CALCULATION SHOULD BE UPDATED TO REFLECT MINING POOL ABUSE OR NOT.
WE WILL BE DEMOCRATIC ABOUT THIS SINCE NO ONE PERSON IS IN CHARGE OF RONPAULCOIN. THAT'S WHAT RON PAUL WOULD WANT AND PROBABLY NOT A DICTATOR.

PLEASE VOTE:

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
January 10, 2014, 08:03:33 PM
Is op even here still?
Scroll up
Activity: 23
January 10, 2014, 08:03:17 PM
In the meantime, can some MacOSX users tell me if this is working? I want us to upload it to our site and tweet it! MacOSX client is a huge step in the right direction and is getting overshadowed by all this .... other stuff

RonPaulCoin Mac OS X Wallet

Tested on Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 and Snow Leopard 10.8.3. Compiled by instacash.

download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5xj83pl1jim8cd/RonPaulCoin-QT-MacOSX-instacash.zip

zip file md5: 5a24cf6f093447e1c3e235b67e31909d

screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/BpM4RCr.png

If your client doesn't sync, add the ronpaulcoin.conf included in the zip to: ~/Library/Application Support/RonPaulCoin/

Feel free to report errors via PM. If you like this, consider donating RPC:

RPC:   RAbxHkfbisd9MVVNZSVFhnvLEpxdkCaVFa

BTC:   15Db1ZGXW3i5z41mtYCVPhuZMDtmSwbXN3

AWESOME! Error, won't run. I'm on 10.9 Mavericks btw.

Try this for now http://muchhash.com/RonPaulCoin-qt.dmg
Activity: 22
January 10, 2014, 08:01:40 PM

WE WILL BE DEMOCRATIC ABOUT THIS SINCE NO ONE PERSON IS IN CHARGE OF RONPAULCOIN.

PLEASE VOTE:

No bro.

"Voting is a sign of weakness" Thats got to be one of the dumbest things I've heard today. Voting as long as its not rigged is the fairest way to do things and is what a lot of countries believe in and for a good reason. I believe it's also what Ron Paul would support, rather than dictating to us what will happen.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
January 10, 2014, 07:59:50 PM
Is op even here still?
January 10, 2014, 07:59:21 PM

No bro.

Then go vote no. I agree he's the helmsman but I have 6 M/hs at home I want to use wisely and at current difficulty it's not that wise IMO. Also, telling him he should run things the way he wants then telling him not to put up a poll is sort of circular logic, no?  Grin
January 10, 2014, 07:58:45 PM
Obamacoin lmao. I don't think the target audience would know how to purchase or mine it.

Haha they'd just demand that the government hands them some.

^^ TOOK THE WORDS OUT OF MY MOUTH! lol
January 10, 2014, 07:54:39 PM

PLEASE VOTE:

No bro.

legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 2793
Shitcoin Minimalist
January 10, 2014, 07:53:34 PM
Obamacoin lmao. I don't think the target audience would know how to purchase or mine it.

Haha they'd just demand that the government hands them some.
January 10, 2014, 07:47:09 PM

+1 This

Makes sense, should deal with the multipools effectively and still leave people with lower hash rate sitting good. I think this hit the nail on the head. I'm neutral on the idea of forking it, but I think if you're going to do it, then this would be the way to go!
Activity: 907
Merit: 1003
January 10, 2014, 07:46:09 PM

PLEASE VOTE:

January 10, 2014, 07:43:52 PM
I think it's time to pipe down and stop all this talk about 'forking', 'diff', etc.

In life there are up and downs, we all go through bad patches and mostly good patches, that's the way life is. Lets just ride this storm out.

Think long term.

Exa-fucking-ctly!
January 10, 2014, 07:41:32 PM
@cogitativecurve Calm down, you're talking to someone who's been mining it from day one and has also bought some, and is managing our twitter account and in contact with Ron Paul Channel folks and helping drive dev efforts. Colin will be posting another update soon so until then keep your underwear on man Smiley
Jump to: