Pages:
Author

Topic: Fifth alt coin thread last four got too big. - page 41. (Read 47218 times)

Activity: 324
Merit: 250
All good Phil? I haven't been active on the forum for a year++.

Would love to hear your take on the mining scene for this year.
Whats the future for GPU mining? I'm currently mining ETH with 4 rigs, would you continue mining ETH even tho the diff is climbing like crazy? Or switch to something else? Sell the rigs?

Would also love to pick ur brain regarding the recent x11 ASICs thats seems to be flooding the market right now!

Cheers <3
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Ebay has 8% buck sale today.  I have 547 to spend as I did not spend my ebucks that came on July3  so it is now 547/.92 = 594

Looking at 1080ti's

Activity: 336
Merit: 253
Gone phishing...
I just ordered 5 new RX 580 (8GB) cards on Ebay for about 10-15% of what they're normally going for these days. I suspect that the seller may have mistakenly listed them with a "buy it now" price instead of setting the starting price for an auction, but they have yet to cancel.

Or is there something I'm missing here? Just a little paranoid that this deal is way too good to be true.

are they still above retail?  if so you may get them and they may be good.

if they are below retail  I would worry.

A few hours later, I got a bunch of emails from Ebay telling me that the seller's account may have been compromised and that the order was canceled. Thankfully it looks like the refund process won't take too much effort; just a bit of waiting.

(Yeah, I meant 10-15% OF, not 10-15% OFF. https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dy1q5hxd9qgc74/rx580scam.png?dl=0 :p It was pretty obvious that something was up, but I figured I'd just go for it since I had good experience with Ebay and PayPal support in the past.)
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
Your high temps are probably lack of high CFM fans on the case.... Did you upgrade them from the OEM rosewell case fans?   The OEM fans are garbage.

With 130cfm+ fans, temps were kept in check...
Activity: 322
Merit: 233
Just wanted to chime in on the 1080 ti discussion Smiley

I have 5 of them running in a closed 4U rosewill case and they are cruising along at @ 85% power, +200 core, +500 memory
They are all Founders Editions as I needed blower cards, and the highest temperature I see is on an EVGA ~64 degrees, but I think it must be in the worst spot for airflow.

I haven't been chasing efficiency at all, and just went for a good solid overclock that was stable 24/7 with EWBF.

Next rig is going to be 6 or 7 1080 ti's in a closed 4U case, but I'm not sure even a 1600W PSU will handle 7 cards, so it might just be 6 Cheesy

Are you running the airflow in the case backwards? i ask this because i was planning on putting rigs into 4U cases and bought 2 cases, i put 5 cards in one and because the heat was being circulated over the CPU, i was having issues with the CPU overheating on me... so that build has been running with the lid on the case off since then with a box ran layed on top sucking the air out of the case...

Mine are in a DC so I need front to back airflow, as the racks are setup with hot and cold aisles.

The airflow is coming through the front and all of the cards are blowing out towards the motherboard/cpu/psu.
There is a row of 3 x 120mm, 3000rpm Skythe fans also blowing towards the back and then 2 x 80mm fans that came with the case.

The CPU is cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper D92, and it runs @ 30-36 degrees, and I've never had an issue with overheating at all Smiley

Are you running this inside of a air conditioned room?

Yes it is in a data center that is air conditioned with hundreds or maybe even a thousand servers and switches Smiley

Hmm are you renting that space to place your rig there or something? just wish i had that type of access to me right now. When i built that 4U rig i ran it for a few hours and quickly noticed the temps were super high with the lid on, i was averaging 78-82c with the fans bouncing off 100% on the GPU's and this was with the filter removed from the front of the case, with the filter i was in the 80-84c range i noticed very quickly. I took the top off the case and now the rig sits happily in the 64-69c range, but i have since replaced the 1600w evga PSU in the server with a smaller 350w unit i got from local pc recycle center for $5 and moved the GPU's over to server power supplies and put that 1600watt unit being shared between 2 x 4 card 1080ti rigs. Yes i understand that the cards can overpower the PSU if ran at 100%, but run a scrypt on them that injects GPU settings every 5 minutes, so if a GPU every resets on one of the rigs, 5 minutes later its been corrected back down on teh TDP
SVK
Activity: 378
Right I got it working but now I have a bit too many coins  Shocked

mBTC Huh

What does it mean ?

Those are milli-BTC.  aka the metric system.  You can change the units back to BTC in Preferences -> Appearance -> base unit

Phew  Smiley

Thank you for your help

Philip, sorry for a small hijack of your thread.

Went to buy 2x 1080Ti and couldn't pay so that have triggered my question.

ZOTAC or EVGA ? Smiley

Thank you again for help

I have tons of ZOTAC mostly on 1070s and 1060s - hashing very well.

I have Gigabyte and ZOTAC for 1080tis. The ZOTAC 1080ti AMP Extreme editions are absolutely king right now - the best cards in my small NVIDIA farm.

I dont have EVGAs cards... but I have a few dozen EVGAs PSUs -- top notch PSUs. I am sure their cards are just as good ...  Grin

I have some EVGA PSU's from Litecoin mining days and they are still going strong after years of mining.

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition and Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AMP Edition are available for same price so not 100% sure which ones to get.
I guess people stick to what works for them.

I'm buying ASUS where ever I can but 1080Ti ASUS ROG STRIX is like £79 more than Zotac&EVGA mentioned above.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
I just ordered 5 new RX 580 (8GB) cards on Ebay for about 10-15% of what they're normally going for these days. I suspect that the seller may have mistakenly listed them with a "buy it now" price instead of setting the starting price for an auction, but they have yet to cancel.

Or is there something I'm missing here? Just a little paranoid that this deal is way too good to be true.

are they still above retail?  if so you may get them and they may be good.

if they are below retail  I would worry.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392
Be a bank
https://twitter.com/cryptoHWwallet

has some hardware wallets in stock. not altcoin ones, nor well-known ones. this is not a recommendation!

source https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIsU3ZLusVU ~10 mins in
Activity: 349

The airflow is coming through the front and all of the cards are blowing out towards the motherboard/cpu/psu.

Shift all the cards "up" (as shown in the picture) an inch or so should help if the bottom card is the one that is overheating.

Also, there ARE non-FE blower cards around, most of which clock higher by factory default vs. the FE - ASUS and Gigabyte in particular, and they're not much more than the FE models while having better cooling solutions than the FE does.

I'm thinking it might actually be the top one as the fan there blows right at the PSU.
I need to find some to test at some stage Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

Shift all the cards "up" (as shown in the picture) an inch or so should help if the bottom card is the one that is overheating.

Also, there ARE non-FE blower cards around, most of which clock higher by factory default vs. the FE - ASUS and Gigabyte in particular, and they're not much more than the FE models while having better cooling solutions than the FE does.

I have 5 of them running in a closed 4U rosewill case and they are cruising along at @ 85% power, +200 core, +500 memory
They are all Founders Editions as I needed blower cards, and the highest temperature I see is on an EVGA ~64 degrees, but I think it must be in the worst spot for airflow.

I haven't been chasing efficiency at all, and just went for a good solid overclock that was stable 24/7 with EWBF.

Next rig is going to be 6 or 7 1080 ti's in a closed 4U case, but I'm not sure even a 1600W PSU will handle 7 cards, so it might just be 6 Cheesy

Are you running the airflow in the case backwards? i ask this because i was planning on putting rigs into 4U cases and bought 2 cases, i put 5 cards in one and because the heat was being circulated over the CPU, i was having issues with the CPU overheating on me... so that build has been running with the lid on the case off since then with a box ran layed on top sucking the air out of the case...

Mine are in a DC so I need front to back airflow, as the racks are setup with hot and cold aisles.

There is a row of 3 x 120mm, 3000rpm Skythe fans also blowing towards the back and then 2 x 80mm fans that came with the case.

The CPU is cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper D92, and it runs @ 30-36 degrees, and I've never had an issue with overheating at all Smiley

Yes it is in a data center that is air conditioned with hundreds or maybe even a thousand servers and switches Smiley

Activity: 615
Merit: 500
With this DAG epoch increasing and amd rx eth hashrates decreasing.. Anyone considering selling their amd rx cards for nvidia cards?

Will these amd rx cards not be great for eth soon? At least they should still be fine for zec but what is the best plan going forward (besides selling them and holding cash/coin)

Keep the amd rx cards or trade them for nvidia cards?

Hashrate decreasing HuhHuh

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.19686243

Everyone believing click bait articles overstating the DAG epoch problem, congrats you got played!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.20282912

I tested EXP,  ETC, and ETH. The two with large DAG files hash slower. EXP's DAG is much smaller and mines at full speed. This was all tested on Windows + Claymore.  Other setups don't suffer from this .  

The articles were overstating the hash drop from the Claymore epoch benchmarks. In my own testing the the actual drop was less than 0.1 MH/s per card for every new epoch, nowhere near the '30% incoming' they were stating. They also made no mention the ETH block times are getting longer from the programmed ICE AGE, so even if nothing was done to correct the issue, it would take more than 9 months to reach the benchmark stated 25% hash drop at epoch 160.

It's nice to see that the issue is being resolved.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 606
With this DAG epoch increasing and amd rx eth hashrates decreasing.. Anyone considering selling their amd rx cards for nvidia cards?

Will these amd rx cards not be great for eth soon? At least they should still be fine for zec but what is the best plan going forward (besides selling them and holding cash/coin)

Everyone believing click bait articles overstating the DAG epoch problem, congrats you got played!

I tested EXP,  ETC, and ETH. The two with large DAG files hash slower. EXP's DAG is much smaller and mines at full speed. This was all tested on Windows + Claymore.  Other setups don't suffer from this .  

The articles were overstating the hash drop from the Claymore epoch benchmarks. In my own testing the the actual drop was less than 0.1 MH/s per card for every new epoch, nowhere near the '30% incoming' they were stating. They also made no mention the ETH block times are getting longer from the programmed ICE AGE, so even if nothing was done to correct the issue, it would take more than 9 months to reach the benchmark stated 25% hash drop at epoch 160.
Activity: 615
Merit: 500

I tested EXP,  ETC, and ETH. The two with large DAG files hash slower. EXP's DAG is much smaller and mines at full speed. This was all tested on Windows + Claymore.  Other setups don't suffer from this . 
Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?

I myself run them backwards as seen in the photos....   It's easier for cable/riser routing for the most part.   I can see how it would be annoying for normal data center mounting as airflow would be backwards and be an issue of sorts.

If you replace the two fans seen at the back of the case with higher flow ones;  you shouldn't have any issue with cooling the CPU;  but;  running them backwards as the photo shows;  keeps fresh air going over the CPU.

I wonder why your cpu overheats....  The cpu itself shouldn't be doing much hard work at all....   What processor/cpu cooler are you running?  [in the past] I've had home PC's that have an internal case temp of 80C, and the processors never really hit much over 90c.....

Pages:
Jump to: