Pages:
Author

Topic: First BFL ASIC! - page 21. (Read 58260 times)

legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003
April 02, 2013, 04:01:30 PM
I do not think the words product or a device could be used to describe this thing.

Does the thingy in the picture have all the parts that belong to the product or the device assembled to a formation in which those parts are in a real product or a real device? No. Therefore no product and not a device.

I also agree it has not been shipped.

Some assembly "is required". LOL.

You also need "a Luke Jr." to finish programming the software for the device. He is not included in the box with your single order.

Oh and the PCB shown is being revised as the COO of BFL has said that the device is utilizing a dangerous load within the designed parameters of the device....

This means that they have to redo the PCB (yes they admitted this) *before* shipping the final product out to customers.

See how that works?

It's good enough for Luke Jr. But not for every other customer. Who's to even say Josh isn't lying and Luke will get a different machine that consumes far less power. (a revised model that is different from the one shown in the picture at BFL labs.)

I would opinionate and say this constitutes a knowing, willing intent and intelligently thought out fraud/scheme of some kind being enacted against the betting pool.
donator
Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020
April 02, 2013, 03:50:49 PM

For this statement to be false, both of the two following conditions must be met:

• Before April 1st 2013, at least one BFL customer with a bitcointalk.org forum account established prior to the bet's opening date shall post detailed and credible photos of the device on the forum, including photos of it operating, and report its hashrate. This customer cannot be a BFL employee.

• The device must achieve at least 75% of its advertised hashrate.

It seems to me that both of the conditions were met.  Where in the conditions does it say anything about shipping? 

Did you see the giant bolded text at the top of the page?

See that word "ship". Nothing shipped.

I see exactly what it says.  The conditions say nothing about the title.  See this part

"For this statement to be false, both of the two following conditions must be met:"

In a court of law this could go either way.

legendary
April 02, 2013, 03:45:05 PM
The BFL ASIC never left the BFL Lab therefor it was never "shipped".   Wink

Avalons where photographed being unpacked from their shipping containers.

Really at a loss for words here.  

really coinjedi?

Can't call this one yet?  too close in your eyes?  

I will not be placing any more bets at betsofbitco.in seeing how you can be 100% correct with your wagers and have the payout in question.

I can't bet like that.  This is such a simple matter, the fact that coinjedi let JZ even briefly pause his decision on this statement is cause for concern.  Imagine if something was actually, really close!  how easily could coinjedi be manipulated one way or the other?
No kidding. It is pretty easy to call.

Just the shipping part of the bet is pretty....darn obvious.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
April 02, 2013, 03:42:47 PM
Ignoring the title, let's work with the conditionals for a moment and break them down:

• Before April 1st 2013, at least one BFL customer with a bitcointalk.org forum account established prior to the bet's opening date shall post detailed and credible photos of the device on the forum, including photos of it operating, and report its hashrate. This customer cannot be a BFL employee.

"at least one BFL customer" - Condition Met
"with a bitcointalk.org forum account established prior to the bet's opening date" - Condition Met
"shall post detailed and credible photos of the device on the forum" - Condition Not Met --- Did Luke take the pictures and post them or did Josh? To that end, which forum is this condition referring to? How much detail is "enough" detail? Does the "device" have to be of consumer quality [not a test board, but one that could be shipped to a customer]?
"including photos of it operating, and report its hashrate." - Condition Met
"This customer cannot be a BFL employee." - Condition Met

"device must achieve at least 75% of its advertised hashrate" - Condition Met

Too much ambiguity, information credibility, and a problem meeting part of the conditions leads me to believe the outcome of the bet is: True -- BFL has not shipped before April 1st, 2013
legendary
April 02, 2013, 03:37:23 PM
Hello everyone,

As it is part of running a betting service, sometimes we have to make some decisions that will not please all of our users. This is certainly one of these cases. I agree that the bet description statements are barely satisfied but the bet is actually on "shipping" of a commercial product. To the best of our judgment the pictured device is still an internal development unit within the company premises, even if it is somehow "owned" by a non-employee. As far as I can see even BFL doesn't officially claim shipping. Under these circumstances we can not rule the statement as false. Our decision is currently not final and we will be listening your input for a few days before the final decision. Feel free to raise your opinion.
Please note that I have physically handled my unit, and BFL has it at their office now only at my own request that they keep it there for the time being.
As I understand it, BFL's "shipping" refers to their Batch 1 which has special shipping constraints. The plan to provide units to developers in advance, including the ones I paid for such as this Little Single, has been there all along, so it would be unreasonable IMO to exclude it from the bet.
I believe you should be able to verify that I have no stake in the bet (unless it's semi-anonymous or something); I have no objections if you wish to disclose that.
Which you asked them to ship to you later on....

Again, they haven't "shipped" it. It's not even complete nor fully assembled (and fully functioning and an end user product.

This bet is way too easy to call if you aren't distorting and contorting conclusions.

---------------------------

There is an easy standard to apply. You intended to have it shipped to you. You have said openly on the forum that you decline to give that tracking information publicly when it does come. So it is circumstantial that it was left in BFL's hands and they have yet to complete their official duty of shipping it to your home/residence.

Fact: It was incomplete.

Fact: It is not a retail model. (as in, a finished product)

Fact: You want it to be removed from BFL (or it's employees care) and shipped to you overseas via a courier.

Fact: BFL has not finished fulfilling your order to its intended destination. (requires shipping as of April 1st.)
------------------------

Conclusion: BFL lost the bet.
donator
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
April 02, 2013, 03:34:01 PM
The level of denial by which the BFL business model is supported by their customers is astonishing. It's only paralleled by the level of denial citizens have in the trustworthy conduct of their political leaders and government.

Every denial which has a beginning, has an end. I see the end coming BFL.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
April 02, 2013, 03:31:48 PM

For this statement to be false, both of the two following conditions must be met:

It seems to me that both of the conditions were met.  Where in the conditions does it say anything about shipping? 

The post was made at April 01, 2013, 05:36:32 AM so therefore it was not made before April 1st.

It was before April 01 in some timezones though, and a timezone wasn't specified.  Whether it met the April 1 requirement or not is kind of a toss up.
Activity: 272
Merit: 250
Cryptopreneur
April 02, 2013, 03:31:30 PM
The credibility of the information provided is tainted. The decision should be pretty clear cut.

I don't have any stake in any of these bets, but am confused how the obvious decision hasn't been made yet.
BFL lost, and i suggest next time make the terms more clear to avoid this from happening again.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
April 02, 2013, 03:30:57 PM

The post was made at April 01, 2013, 05:36:32 AM so therefore it was not made before April 1st.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
April 02, 2013, 03:29:06 PM
1) The fact that BFL seems to care more about winning a bet than delivering a solid product to customers speaks volumes.

2) The way they tried to win this bet speaks volumes about the dishonest way they conduct their business. It is borderline scammy.

I'm sorry, but as far as BFL customers are concerned this is a FAIL on two counts. Regardless if BFL wins this silly bet or not. Get a clue folks and set your priorities straight.

This.
Activity: 761
Merit: 500
Mine Silent, Mine Deep
April 02, 2013, 03:26:15 PM
1) The fact that BFL seems to care more about winning a bet than delivering a solid product to customers speaks volumes.

2) The way they tried to win this bet speaks volumes about the dishonest way they conduct their business. It is borderline scammy.

I'm sorry, but as far as BFL customers are concerned this is a FAIL on two counts. Regardless if BFL wins this silly bet or not. Get a clue folks and set your priorities straight.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
April 02, 2013, 03:24:54 PM

Did you see the giant bolded text at the top of the page?

See that word "ship". Nothing shipped.
legendary
Activity: 2058
this space intentionally left blank
April 02, 2013, 03:23:51 PM
vote: NOT SHIPPED
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
April 02, 2013, 03:23:37 PM
"and report its hashrate."

Was the hashrate reported? Does single picture of setup with this info on screen count as report?

It's quite hard to say what are the exact terms and was the statement true even if conditions are barely met.

At the least community will learn to word these bets better.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 1013
Be A Digital Miner
April 02, 2013, 03:17:39 PM

Seems to me that it fails here: "shall post detailed and credible photos of the device on the forum, including photos of it operating, and report its hashrate. This customer cannot be a BFL employee."

There were NO PHOTOs of the device they are selling.  There was a photo of a test board.   I believe if you go to their website you can see the fancy boxes they are packing the guts in.  I do NOT see any photos of the thing that "luke jr" (no Josh Zerlan according to the photo info) took pictures of.   Can you send me to the place on the website where I can buy that "thing"?
donator
Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020
April 02, 2013, 03:12:49 PM

tbd
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
April 02, 2013, 03:09:14 PM
I can't believe this is actually being debated.

Unofficial BFL News ‏@BFL_News 2h
* Chips count per device may change, depending on results this week

Unofficial BFL News ‏@BFL_News 2h
* New boards testing this week.  (...)  I'd guess shipping next week.
Activity: 454
Merit: 250
April 02, 2013, 03:00:02 PM
totally done with betsofbitco.in.  This is very damaging for their business, and it pisses me off to see one of the more respected, older btc gambling sites making decisions (or indecision) that are so clearly influenced by the obvious losing side of the statement.

I think betsofbitco.in is now debating setting a precedent: what constitutes acontract, the intent of the bet or what is written in the terms? Does the title count as terms? On time based bets, what determines the time? In the lack of clarity of definitions, does betsofbitco.in have to stand in and interpret? For example, betsofbitco.in now has to define what "shipping," "device," "by April 1," and "post on a forum" means in order to set a precedence. You can say "but it is obvious," and it may be "obvious" that they lost the "spirit" of the bet - but now betsofbitco.in has to decide whether they want to be in the business of deciphering what the "spirit" of contracts is.

Is the title part of the contract? This may be "obvious" to many, but it is never defined - BoB has to declare that it is, and this can be a time to do it. They just as easily can say, "only the terms in the text count" - either way they are about to declare one or the other.

"shipping" If i hand it to you and you hand it back, is that "shipping"? It legally counts as delivery but is that in the spirit of the bet (and who decides what the spirit of the bet means?)

"device" does a working, but unpackaged and not brought into a fully realizable form, device count?

"by April 1" what time zone? Do we care what the contract end time is? The bet says it ends April 1 at end of day Eastern time. What is end of day? 5 pm? Midnight? Does it even matter because it should have been March 31 at midnight UTC?

"shall post detailed and credible photos of the device on the forum" What if the time stamp on the photo is before April 1 but the post is after? What if they post credible photos of the device and it is not in their possession?

Should BoB even be answering these questions?

As "obvious" as this appears, there may be just enough ambiguity for BoB to not want to set precedence. Now you know why lawyers write the way the do, they can only use precise language which has been proven to stand up in court. This is an example of case law that betsofbitco.in needs to establish.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
April 02, 2013, 02:39:24 PM
Something well written thoroughly transfers intent into technical wording, which the author of this bet clearly did not do properly. As a result, we have to debate about something that should be pretty straightforward Cheesy

There's nothing to debate about. You must consider all of the text of the contract. The title is part of the contract. You cannot ignore it. The title says "shipped", and BFL didn't "ship" anything. Case closed.
legendary
Activity: 1400
April 02, 2013, 02:36:05 PM
Ok, people know I am a BFL supporter and have a bet against Micon as to when they will ship, etc.  But I'll say that I can't see any way in which BFL shipped a device before April 1, or any way that this bets of bitcoin bet could conclude otherwise.

Even if you use the technical wording of the bet and do not include the text of the title as being part of the requirement (which I certainly would), some conditions of the bet were not met.

Now, where I disagree with Micon is that coinjedi is in the wrong here.  I think it is absolutely prudent and necessary to take time and gather all the facts before making a final decision involving tens of thousands of dollars (this is a several hundred BTC bet, is it not?).  So, I applaud coinjedi for not rushing to a decision in the event of a close call, which this certainly is.  On the surface, it seems obvious to most people what the outcome should be, but because there is disagreement, coinjedi is right to take his time in deciding the proper result of the bet.

If he somehow concludes that BFL DID ship a unit before April 1st, then and only then would I lose faith in betsofbitco.in.
Pages:
Jump to: