Pages:
Author

Topic: First BFL ASIC! - page 17. (Read 58260 times)

Activity: 492
Merit: 500
April 03, 2013, 12:30:57 AM
Alright, I'll chime in as someone who bet 15BTC on 'true', i.e. the BFL-will-fuck-up position. Maybe I'm the only guy on the bet-is-true side to think that BoB made an acceptable call here, but so be it. No, BFL didn't win the bet, but they provided juuuuust enough wiggle room to provide 18+ pages of shouting.

I suggest we all give BoB a break here. The real ire should be reserved for Josh, the worst and slimiest customer relations guy in recorded history, and Luke, who is a whore. If BoB screwed up anywhere it was in not demanding a more precisely worded bet.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
April 03, 2013, 12:27:37 AM
I'd refuse to use that service considering the shaky and dubious evidence to support that it was even SHIPPED! It is not in the consumers hand what gives. Obviously there is some conflict of interest here. Sad to see people WELCH on a bet like this and goes to the ethics of Betsofbitco.in., Luke and BFL. Sad indeed.

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
April 03, 2013, 12:24:58 AM
It is very clear that the conditions are not met --

This bet concerns the 3 Butterfly Labs Bitforce SC products announced here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.966886

That message refers to a press release here:
http://news.yahoo.com/butterfly-labs-announces-next-generation-asic-lineup-054626776.html

Containing:
"2)    BitForce SC Single: a standalone unit providing roughly 40 GH/s, priced at $1,299"

The second condition of the bet:
• The device must achieve at least 75% of its advertised hashrate.

40 * .75 = 30.  That rate was not met.

In my opinion this makes it pretty clear. The bet was about 3 devices and not about fourth.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
April 03, 2013, 12:23:35 AM
We have carefully examined both sides of the argument. First of all, on our site title is definitely part of the agreement. We do not count the current status as BFL "shipping" the products, therefore other bets are still open. On the other hand the conditions in the description are met. Unfortunately the statement description, as it is written, can be interpreted as complementary conditions to shipping for more clear evidence or the definition of shipping. As much as we would like to settle the bet on one side (as we would earn a significant commission) we do not think that the situation is unambiguous under these circumstances which would be very hard to foresee at the time of statement initiation. As we have been doing before, we will continue to call a draw if there is a such an ambiguity. All the bets will be refunded without any commission.

You realize that every contentious bet is going to be "ambiguous" now, right?  Any time someone is on the wrong side, they're going to claim that the rules weren't clear and try and get a refund.

I have to agree with this post. I wish no ills toward BoB, but Bryan and others, along with mine, have shown one way or another that the bet is true. If nothing else, the post was made after midnight on April 1, 2013, as repeated a couple posts above the one I'm quoting. If Luke was so concerned about the bit, why didn't he post prior to midnight EST?

I'm afraid that tbd has a valid point about all future and ongoing bets on BoB.

Again, I have no ills toward BoB or Luke.

~Bruno K~

EDIT: @Luke: Still no ills, but leaning toward the below. If I lean further or change my stance, I'll post such. Later, bud.

To conclude, Luke-jr is a douche-bag who tried to manipulate a wager, package a preshipping unit as the real deal, NEVER TOOK POSSESSION of it in the first place, lost all credibility on this forum (at least by me), and is still trying to defend his position. Really, you should really think about obtaining a priest position in the catholic community near you, at least then everyone would know you're a slimeball before you got a chance to open your mouth.

(apologies for not including the author of quote above, but it's on this thread page 16)
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
April 03, 2013, 12:18:56 AM
So let me try to explain the situation how I best can describe it:

BFL does not have anything resembling an actual product, but instead they have a bunch of bits and pieces laying around on a table and a half-employee-customer that does not have any desire to have that abortion of bits and pieces shipped to him. And the bits and pieces are not even working properly falling short of the 75% criteria of the advertised hashrate and overheating like mad.

Is there anything incorrect in that description of the situation? How would you compare the correctness of that to the other competing opinion that BFL has shipped a product.

Let me then speculate, but for this truly to be Luke-Jr's shipped product, both of the two following speculative assumptions must definitely be false:

1) BFL guys are still continuing to hit those bits and pieces on the table with an oscilloscope, SW debugging tools and various other lab testing equipment and they are not keeping it fully powered on hashing 24/7 in the fear it will overheat and die setting fire to the whole building before they are able to find out everything what is wrong with it.

2) Luke-Jr's unit will be swapped for a working production model that is going to be actually shipped to him as soon as they are finished as this abortion on the table will be thrown into trashcan by BFL employees either at the moment when finished products are available or when this unit dies from overheating whichever happens sooner and Luke-Jr is not going to feel sorry for 'his' unit. Maybe for the lost bitcoins, but not for 'his unit'.

Sounds about right.  

You missed to touch on the part where betsofbitco.in turned out to be a crappy bet website, now being abandoned by a greater part of the bitcointalk community.

Is BitBet.us the next alternative?

---

This was a pretty interesting bet at the end.  Defiantly got my winnings worth.
Activity: 209
Merit: 101
FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!
April 03, 2013, 12:03:47 AM
So let me try to explain the situation how I best can describe it:

BFL does not have anything resembling an actual product, but instead they have a bunch of bits and pieces laying around on a table and a half-employee-customer that does not have any desire to have that abortion of bits and pieces shipped to him. And the bits and pieces are not even working properly falling short of the 75% criteria of the advertised hashrate and overheating like mad.

Is there anything incorrect in that description of the situation? How would you compare the correctness of that to the other competing opinion that BFL has shipped a product.

Let me then speculate, but for this truly to be Luke-Jr's shipped product, both of the two following speculative assumptions must definitely be false:

1) BFL guys are still continuing to hit those bits and pieces on the table with an oscilloscope, SW debugging tools and various other lab testing equipment and they are not keeping it fully powered on hashing 24/7 in the fear it will overheat and die setting fire to the whole building before they are able to find out everything what is wrong with it.

2) Luke-Jr's unit will be swapped for a working production model that is going to be actually shipped to him as soon as they are finished and this abortion on the table will be thrown into trashcan by BFL employees either at the moment when finished products are available or when this unit dies from overheating whichever happens sooner and Luke-Jr is not going to feel sorry for 'his' unit. Maybe for the lost bitcoins, but not for 'his unit'.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
April 02, 2013, 11:45:54 PM
Very disappointed in Betsofbitco.in. This is a total copout. We all know they haven't shipped anything, and that the best they've done so far is cobble together a prototype that doesn't meet their advertised specs. Which is great! Congrats! But they soundly and completely lost this bet.

I had no money on the line for this, and if anything I would have taken the other side of this bet. I expected BFL to ship by now. I hope they fix their problems, build some working units, and ship soon. But they sure as hell haven't done that yet.

Exactly.  The title of the bet is SHIPPED.  They have not shipped anything.  I too did not bet on this or any other BFL related bet.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1002
April 02, 2013, 11:44:19 PM
Very disappointed in Betsofbitco.in. This is a total copout. We all know they haven't shipped anything, and that the best they've done so far is cobble together a prototype that doesn't meet their advertised specs. Which is great! Congrats! But they soundly and completely lost this bet.

I had no money on the line for this, and if anything I would have taken the other side of this bet. I expected BFL to ship by now. I hope they fix their problems, build some working units, and ship soon. But they sure as hell haven't done that yet.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
April 02, 2013, 11:35:25 PM
Ohhh BFL, the ripples you create humor me.
Ohhh, Betsofbitco.in, how you have suprised me.
Thought the answer to this was an obvious one.
Not a haiku?
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
April 02, 2013, 11:28:11 PM
I don't lie. All I can speculate is that maybe their "very front of the line" included multiple positions as "front".

That's ok, sometime people hear what they want to hear. You misheard them. Josh actually said:

Quote from: BFL_Josh
Since he's a paying customer and also a miner developer, we've shipped him the first Little Single since his order one of the first ones in the queue from last year.

"one of the first" That means near the front, but not the actual first. You are getting a device sooner than your order number in compensation for working on the miner. It's ok to be compensated for your work. You don't need to feel bad and lie about it.
legendary
Activity: 938
What's a GPU?
April 02, 2013, 11:21:58 PM
Not on topic but whatever.

HAPPY $125 Bitcoin!!!
legendary
Activity: 966
April 02, 2013, 11:19:40 PM
Are you being compensated by BFL in any way for your development efforts or making these statements?
I am making these statements of my own accord. BFL has not even suggested I make them, nor mentioned any bets to me other than Josh's seppuku thing.

Way to dodge the question.

So you never answered.

Are you being compensated by BFL in any way for your development efforts?
legendary
What's a GPU?
April 02, 2013, 11:17:43 PM
Are you being compensated by BFL in any way for your development efforts or making these statements?
Yes, BFL is moving his order to the front of the line. Having the first hashing device will provide quite a nice profit for him.
My order was already at the front of the line.

I understand BFL shipping to a pool/miner dev first, but you were certainly not at the front of the normal queue so please refrain from lying to make you or them seem better, okay?

I know this because I was confirmed by BFL to be at the very front of the line, with order number 1656.

--Garrett
I don't lie. All I can speculate is that maybe their "very front of the line" included multiple positions as "front".

Edit: Another possibility is that the customer service people just didn't have it accurate, since my order was setup directly (not via the ordering system).

Not that I doubt you, but I doubt you so what was your order #?

I don't intend to make this a heated argument or anything, I just want to make sense of the situation.

Edit: just saw your edit. disregard this Tongue
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
April 02, 2013, 11:16:46 PM
Ohhh BFL, the ripples you create humor me.
Ohhh, Betsofbitco.in, how you have suprised me.
Thought the answer to this was an obvious one.
yxt
legendary
Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116
April 02, 2013, 11:16:13 PM
We have carefully examined both sides of the argument. First of all, on our site title is definitely part of the agreement. We do not count the current status as BFL "shipping" the products, therefore other bets are still open. On the other hand the conditions in the description are met. Unfortunately the statement description, as it is written, can be interpreted as complementary conditions to shipping for more clear evidence or the definition of shipping. As much as we would like to settle the bet on one side (as we would earn a significant commission) we do not think that the situation is unambiguous under these circumstances which would be very hard to foresee at the time of statement initiation. As we have been doing before, we will continue to call a draw if there is a such an ambiguity. All the bets will be refunded without any commission.

With this decision you can close the page directly.
trust ist gone....

And I say this as a bystander.

Aw..... I dont bet neither...... and i agree with BetsofBitcoin

So no, you can go fck yourself

No need to insult me personally.
Welcome to my ignore list....

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
April 02, 2013, 11:15:39 PM
I'm so pissed at betsofbitco.in right now.

They owe me THOUSANDS of dollars from that bet.

See this quote ppl?

This is what i'm talking about. Hey stupid, you didnt lose any money. You just didnt "win" as you wanted. The decision is clear, you bet on a debatable term. Deal with it or cry me a fcking river.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
April 02, 2013, 11:15:09 PM
Yes, BFL is moving his order to the front of the line. Having the first hashing device will provide quite a nice profit for him.

I understand BFL shipping to a pool/miner dev first, but you were certainly not at the front of the normal queue so please refrain from lying to make you or them seem better, okay?

I know this because I was confirmed by BFL to be at the very front of the line, with order number 1656.

--Garrett

Edit: Another possibility is that the customer service people just didn't have it accurate, since my order was setup directly (not via the ordering system).
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
April 02, 2013, 11:13:57 PM
BTW, I started out that semi-long post I made a few minutes ago with the intention of presenting arguments for both sides.
I was surprised that I couldn't come up with any good arguments for the post-April betters... but it is what it is.
legendary
What's a GPU?
April 02, 2013, 11:12:39 PM

--Garrett
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
April 02, 2013, 11:11:54 PM

With this decision you can close the page directly.
trust ist gone....

And I say this as a bystander.

Aw..... I dont bet neither...... and i agree with BetsofBitcoin

So no, you can go fck yourself
Pages:
Jump to: