Pages:
Author

Topic: First BFL ASIC! - page 18. (Read 58260 times)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
April 02, 2013, 11:11:11 PM
So put yourself in the position of the judge.

Both sides have what appear to be reasonable reasons why they think they should win.  If there's not a clear winner that no reasonable person could dispute, what choice do they really have but to invalidate the bet?
You're unhappy. I'm unhappy too. Have you heard of Henry Clay? He was the Great Compromiser. A good compromise is when both parties are dissatisfied, and I think that's what we have here.
--Larry David (quoted by http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Henry_Clay#Quotes_related_to_Henry_Clay , "citation needed")
yxt
legendary
Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116
April 02, 2013, 11:10:17 PM
We have carefully examined both sides of the argument. First of all, on our site title is definitely part of the agreement. We do not count the current status as BFL "shipping" the products, therefore other bets are still open. On the other hand the conditions in the description are met. Unfortunately the statement description, as it is written, can be interpreted as complementary conditions to shipping for more clear evidence or the definition of shipping. As much as we would like to settle the bet on one side (as we would earn a significant commission) we do not think that the situation is unambiguous under these circumstances which would be very hard to foresee at the time of statement initiation. As we have been doing before, we will continue to call a draw if there is a such an ambiguity. All the bets will be refunded without any commission.

With this decision you can close the page directly.
trust ist gone....

And I say this as a bystander.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
April 02, 2013, 11:09:45 PM
Lame gamblers.

Calling it draw is the best decision. Dumb ass still try to argue...." oh noes.... its about the 'original' products......" Dumb ass there is no 60ghs single anymore.

Human nature at its best!

Are you addressing me with your puerile comments?  I have no money in this, but I think it's a travesty that the Bitcoin world is so rife with corruption and scams.  There's a lot of attention right now, and I think that it's going to taint Bitcoin and make it more difficult to get wider acceptance.

In any case, I think that the text of the bet should be what people go on.  It's pretty clear.

hahahah go sell your btc idiot.

We dont need dumbass like you anyway
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
April 02, 2013, 11:08:10 PM
Are you being compensated by BFL in any way for your development efforts or making these statements?
Yes, BFL is moving his order to the front of the line. Having the first hashing device will provide quite a nice profit for him.
My order was already at the front of the line.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
April 02, 2013, 11:07:38 PM
Seriously, 6 new pages since the last time I was here? Now I got to read to see what the uproar is about, for I'm sure it's an uproar of some nature. I'm going to guess that Josh joined the fray, and Kano and Luke are at it, and the bet ain't resolved yet. Let's see how close I am with this guesstimation.

Im in the same boat, If you find out something intresting, Please summarise your findings
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
April 02, 2013, 11:04:49 PM
We have carefully examined both sides of the argument. First of all, on our site title is definitely part of the agreement. We do not count the current status as BFL "shipping" the products, therefore other bets are still open. On the other hand the conditions in the description are met.

No, they are not.

Condition 1 not met:

1)    BitForce SC Jalapeno: a USB powered coffee warmer providing 3.5 GH/s, priced at under $149

2)    BitForce SC Single: a standalone unit providing roughly 40 GH/s, priced at $1,299

3)    BitForce SC Mini Rig: a case & rack mount server providing 1 TH/s, priced at $29,899

None of those products was shown in the photo.

As we have been doing before, we will continue to call a draw if there is a such an ambiguity. All the bets will be refunded without any commission.

So to call a draw you ignore the title text and you ignore the facts in both conditions. Major fail.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
April 02, 2013, 11:04:41 PM
BULLSHITBULLSHITBULLSHIT

bestofbitco.in, you are now on the same level as BFL

Scammer Tags!
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
April 02, 2013, 11:04:16 PM
Are you being compensated by BFL in any way for your development efforts or making these statements?
I am making these statements of my own accord. BFL has not even suggested I make them, nor mentioned any bets to me other than Josh's seppuku thing.

Way to dodge the question.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
April 02, 2013, 11:02:42 PM
In a COMPLETELY UNRELATED note, I had a conversation with some co-workers about the WiFi password where I work (which is intended to be kept Private and Only For Business Use Only).  I had been sending that password to the Developers group, because I thought they should have it, should they need to test a mobile device.

Well, what happened is: they gave it out to other co-workers, who gave it out to other co-workers... and our wi-fi was Flooded.

So, I had to stop sending them the password.  Why?  Because they were untrustworthy?  Loose lips sink ships?

No, it's because for the most part we're all friends where I work, and friends won't withhold the wi-fi password from friends.  Because friends will help friends with the best of intentions, even if it invokes a certain well-known common tragedy.

Which is an anecdote, to be clear, that is Completely Off Topic and should probably be deleted just before I post it.
Activity: 310
April 02, 2013, 11:01:52 PM
"Do I need to apologize to all the "BFL will ship" betters for not taking my device with me when I flew home?"

Nope, you should apologize for taking it in the cornhole from BFL.

"From my persepctive, claiming BFL has not shipped is clearly nitpicking a technicality."

And from our perspective, you've enjoyed it, and that's clearly not a technicality.

"Are "BFL won't ship" betters going to claim that I am to blame for accepting a device I was expecting to receive last year, after I had been waiting over 10 months for my order? This is absurd."

What's absurd is we're all waiting for over 10 months now and this is what we get. A half functioning over heating device that obviously doesn't perform as they stated it would.

"I do see that since my device was prior to the first batch, which has not shipped, it might be debatable. But on the other hand, it's certainly not a clear-cut result either, because the terms specifically said non-employee; considering that it was known in advance that third-party software developers would receive their units prior to the first batch, the specifying of non-employee IMO clearly includes myself or any of the other pre-batch 1 units that had been paid for.
Edit: Also note that Avalon also established a precedent for delivering non-mainstream units to meet deadlines."

If it's prior to the first batch, then they aren't shipping; Not debatable. 1/3rd to developers, 1/3rd to random people, 1/3rd to FCFS on the list? So should I have you start mining to my address and the other 20k preorders that are awaiting now? Cause it seems like I could do SHA256 Hashes on an ABACUS faster than I'd ever get one on a BFL device at this point. Who gives a shit if you're an employee or not. You're doing work for them on your shitty mining software (BTW, CGminer is used by everyone I know... so why don't you stop coding so this is less of a point.) Also, forget what Avalon has done in the past except for this one small moot point... they shipped a product.

"It's true that the Little Single was not part of the original product lineup, and that I had to change one of my Single orders into two Little Singles (I have at least one of each product ordered for variety of testing), but this IMO is also a technicality and not really relevant."

Everything said here is not relevant, least we can agree there.

"The claim that my device is not what other customers will receive may be true - but I see it akin to the (very common) practice of other hardware manufs to revise boards without changing the model number. This is clearly a Little Single, even if most customers will be receiving a later revision of the Little Single."

SO, lets see we're STILL NOT FUCKING SHIPPING!!!!!

"To conclude, I think calling it a draw is within the perrogative of the judge, but I still believe pre-April is the honest winner."

To conclude, Luke-jr is a douche-bag who tried to manipulate a wager, package a preshipping unit as the real deal, NEVER TOOK POSSESSION of it in the first place, lost all credibility on this forum (at least by me), and is still trying to defend his position. Really, you should really think about obtaining a priest position in the catholic community near you, at least then everyone would know you're a slimeball before you got a chance to open your mouth.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
April 02, 2013, 10:57:53 PM
Seriously, 6 4 new pages since the last time I was here? Now I got to read to see what the uproar is about, for I'm sure it's an uproar of some nature. I'm going to guess that Josh joined the fray, and Kano and Luke are at it, and the bet ain't resolved yet. Let's see how close I am with this guesstimation.

EDIT: See strikethroughs. It was the bet aspect and resolved, but...
tbd
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
April 02, 2013, 10:57:41 PM
Lame gamblers.

Calling it draw is the best decision. Dumb ass still try to argue...." oh noes.... its about the 'original' products......" Dumb ass there is no 60ghs single anymore.

Are you addressing me with your puerile comments?  I have no money in this, but I think it's a travesty that the Bitcoin world is so rife with corruption and scams.  There's a lot of attention right now, and I think that it's going to taint Bitcoin and make it more difficult to get wider acceptance.

In any case, I think that the text of the bet should be what people go on.  It's pretty clear.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
April 02, 2013, 10:53:59 PM

Yes, BFL is moving his order to the front of the line. Having the first hashing device will provide quite a nice profit for him.
Activity: 462
April 02, 2013, 10:49:36 PM
Lame gamblers.

legendary
April 02, 2013, 10:49:20 PM
It's true that the Little Single was not part of the original product lineup, and that I had to change one of my Single orders into two Little Singles (I have at least one of each product ordered for variety of testing), but this IMO is also a technicality and not really relevant.
Actually, that "technicality" is entirely relevant -- this bet does not apply to the "Little Single" at all as it is not mentioned in the press release.  The bet only concerns the 3 Butterfly Labs BitForce SC products announced in the press release.  BFL could have shipped out 1000 of these "Little Singles" six months ago and still would have lost the bet.
Well, I'll leave that up to the judge to decide, but I disagree.

I am making these statements of my own accord. BFL has not even suggested I make them, nor mentioned any bets to me other than Josh's seppuku thing.
tbd
April 02, 2013, 10:43:31 PM
It's true that the Little Single was not part of the original product lineup, and that I had to change one of my Single orders into two Little Singles (I have at least one of each product ordered for variety of testing), but this IMO is also a technicality and not really relevant.

To conclude, I think calling it a draw is within the perrogative of the judge, but I still believe pre-April is the honest winner.

Actually, that "technicality" is entirely relevant -- this bet does not apply to the "Little Single" at all as it is not mentioned in the press release.  The bet only concerns the 3 Butterfly Labs BitForce SC products announced in the press release.  BFL could have shipped out 1000 of these "Little Singles" six months ago and still would have lost the bet.

Activity: 686
Merit: 501
TokenUnion-Get Rewarded for Holding Crypto
April 02, 2013, 10:42:12 PM
I'm so pissed at betsofbitco.in right now.

They owe me THOUSANDS of dollars from that bet.
Activity: 27
April 02, 2013, 10:39:47 PM
Bets of bitcoin looks pretty bad to me right now. They should ensure all the bets on their site meet a standard where it is clear there will be no ambiguity over the time, the meaning of shipping and reading the terms for which devices needed to be delivered, they have failed in this undertaking.
legendary
April 02, 2013, 10:39:27 PM
Do I need to apologize to all the "BFL will ship" betters for not taking my device with me when I flew home? From my persepctive, claiming BFL has not shipped is clearly nitpicking a technicality.

Are "BFL won't ship" betters going to claim that I am to blame for accepting a device I was expecting to receive last year, after I had been waiting over 10 months for my order? This is absurd.

I do see that since my device was prior to the first batch, which has not shipped, it might be debatable. But on the other hand, it's certainly not a clear-cut result either, because the terms specifically said non-employee; considering that it was known in advance that third-party software developers would receive their units prior to the first batch, the specifying of non-employee IMO clearly includes myself or any of the other pre-batch 1 units that had been paid for.
Edit: Also note that Avalon also established a precedent for delivering non-mainstream units to meet deadlines.

The claim that my device is not what other customers will receive may be true - but I see it akin to the (very common) practice of other hardware manufs to revise boards without changing the model number. This is clearly a Little Single, even if most customers will be receiving a later revision of the Little Single.

To conclude, I think calling it a draw is within the perrogative of the judge, but I still believe pre-April is the honest winner.
tbd
April 02, 2013, 10:32:54 PM
It is very clear that the conditions are not met --

This bet concerns the 3 Butterfly Labs Bitforce SC products announced here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.966886

That message refers to a press release here:
http://news.yahoo.com/butterfly-labs-announces-next-generation-asic-lineup-054626776.html

Containing:
"2)    BitForce SC Single: a standalone unit providing roughly 40 GH/s, priced at $1,299"

The second condition of the bet:
• The device must achieve at least 75% of its advertised hashrate.

40 * .75 = 30.  That rate was not met.

Pages:
Jump to: