Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience NewPac / Terminus R606 (BM1387) Official Support Thread - page 10. (Read 61321 times)

Activity: 1143
Merit: 925
OK so had a couple of hours to try and fix the f**k up I made before. Just plugged her in and shes working. I'm very surprised the magic smoke didnt come out.

Good man!
Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
OK so had a couple of hours to try and fix the f**k up I made before. Just plugged her in and shes working. I'm very surprised the magic smoke didnt come out.
Activity: 1143
Merit: 925
Whereabouts are you located? I’ve managed to take a picture, ive taken iff two traces aswell  Embarrassed
https://imgur.com/a/l1OTQRd
Damn, Data+ and Data- Undecided
Data- will wire up directly to the FTDI chip and Data+ to wherever that goes (through via, then probably to FTDI chip as well, I bet, probably right next to Data-).

I'm in EU, you as well?

Yea thanks to the help of another couple of members I’ve identified the vias and pins etc. Just thought I would show you before I decided to send it, just so it wasn't a wasted cost of postage. I’m in the UK.

Got supplies arriving tomorrow so going to give it a go as soon as I have time.

That's pretty easily fixed mate; you should be good
Activity: 882
Merit: 5814
not your keys, not your coins!
Yea thanks to the help of another couple of members I’ve identified the vias and pins etc. Just thought I would show you before I decided to send it, just so it wasn't a wasted cost of postage. I’m in the UK.

Alright, sounds good! I would try with some thin enameled wire, heat the correct pads of the FTDI chip and push in the (stripped) wire end. Then wire it to a new USB port.
Whereabouts are you located? I’ve managed to take a picture, ive taken iff two traces aswell  Embarrassed
Data- will wire up directly to the FTDI chip and Data+ to wherever that goes (through via, then probably to FTDI chip as well, I bet, probably right next to Data-).

I'm in EU, you as well?

I'm in EU, you as well?
Ive been reading up about trying to repair it. I may give it a try first and see how I get on before I commit to giving it up. Just got to find the time now.
Alright, good luck! Smiley My offer stands though, if you pay shipping both ways, I'd do my best to get it working again!

Ive been reading up about trying to repair it. I may give it a try first and see how I get on before I commit to giving it up. Just got to find the time now.
Alright, good luck! Smiley My offer stands though, if you pay shipping both ways, I'd do my best to get it working again!
I was wrong. Turns out I hadn’t got it sorted. Tried replacing the usb port today. Well that has ended in complete failure. Ended up being too heavy handed and taking a 2 of the 5 pads off at the back.

Anyone want it for spares? Just cover postage   Undecided
Oh no, that sucks! You took of some of the pads that the USB port would attach to? If you want I could try to fix it for you, have some spare time to work on a few soldering things planned anyway. Are you in EU though?
I would fix it by taking a USB port (mini or micro, not sure what I have on hand) with a breakout PCB already attached, gluing it in a good place and soldering wires from the breakout PCB onto the miner's PCB's USB traces (exposing them by scraping off a bit of solder mask). It should work, did something similar once so far..  Smiley I guess, if you'd give it away for spares it would be worth a try!

I was wrong. Turns out I hadn’t got it sorted. Tried replacing the usb port today. Well that has ended in complete failure. Ended up being too heavy handed and taking a 2 of the 5 pads off at the back.

Oh no, that sucks! You took of some of the pads that the USB port would attach to? If you want I could try to fix it for you, have some spare time to work on a few soldering things planned anyway. Are you in EU though?
I would fix it by taking a USB port (mini or micro, not sure what I have on hand) with a breakout PCB already attached, gluing it in a good place and soldering wires from the breakout PCB onto the miner's PCB's USB traces (exposing them by scraping off a bit of solder mask). It should work, did something similar once so far..  Smiley I guess, if you'd give it away for spares it would be worth a try!

Also its a Mini USB port so not that easy to come by round my way. But I have found a place and ordered some. IF it needs changing I will but I’m hoping its just because my cable is stressed all the time that its given itself a bad connection, which hopefully I’ve resolved.
In the UK try Farnell who are the parent company of Newark in the US https://uk.farnell.com/
Plus, DigiKey also has a UK branch https://www.digikey.co.uk/

Totally forgot about those two *face palm*. If the ones ive ordered turn out to be rubbish I’ll order some from there.

EDIT:-

I'm calling it problem solved now. Had two power outages today due to a dodgy steam iron and both times it came back up and running and is running at 750m V5 just like it used too. To say I'm pleased to have this sorted is an understatement.

EDIT 2:-

Now running what it was originally, 800m V5 getting 1Th  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Also its a Mini USB port so not that easy to come by round my way. But I have found a place and ordered some. IF it needs changing I will but I’m hoping its just because my cable is stressed all the time that its given itself a bad connection, which hopefully I’ve resolved.
In the UK try Farnell who are the parent company of Newark in the US https://uk.farnell.com/
Plus, DigiKey also has a UK branch https://www.digikey.co.uk/
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Why on earth do so many folks point to Amazon, eBay et al for components? God only knows what quality they are - odds are, not the best...
There are plenty of real component distributors in the world such as Mouser, DigiKey, Newark, etc. that sell top-quality components made by trustworthy manufacturers and sold at a very decent price.

Stuff from Amazon et al are so cheap for a very good reason...
It could be where the usb connects the board - does your r606 have the notch cut out where the usb plugs in? One of mine had an issue and it was the one without the notch. Sidehack replaced/repaired the board and gave me a case with the notch cut out. I am currently running 4 of these with no issues. What are you selling your pod for @gt

It looks like an issue with the port. My cable always seems to stress upwards. Currently have something wedged in to hold the cable level and it seems to have done the trick. Running 625m no issues. As soon as I take the "wedge" out it starts acting up.

Ive got one with the notch and an orange/beige PCB. Just finished work so going to investigate further, got some replacement ports coming soon so hoping a port replacement will sort it.

Only selling as I'm hoping to grab a couple of Ferrari sticks and only have so much desk real estate to play with. Plus the electricity cost of course. I know im mining at a loss anyway here in the UK but if I can reduce the electricity cost then its obviously better.

I have the Gekko Hub and Fan Stand sitting on the shelf from when I had the Newpacs, so its only the sticks I need.

Also its sidehacks gear so can run it through cgminer and not have any problems mining to the pool I like  Wink

ok so not the notch issue - if it has to be angled up that port is prolly def the issue. good luck at getting it fixed. I think I see yours on ebay its the only one there and its in the UK Smiley

And I agree - love sidehacks gear for sure.

Yea going to take it off ebay for now until im certain its sorted. Just wanted to sell it and give myself time to buy the new sticks. But I'd rather sell good gear than anything with problems (which I thought were resolved  Roll Eyes )

EDIT:

I hopefully optimistic. Took it apart for a closer inspection. Tried the USB cable in it and noticed it had some free movement. Also noticed that on the port itself is some sprung tabs which locate on pockets on the cable. I nudged them down a bit and the cable grips really nicely now. Plugged it all back in and shes on her way upto 700m V5 on the first try!! Just keeping my fingers crossed she stays stable now.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 2195
EIN: 82-3893490
It could be where the usb connects the board - does your r606 have the notch cut out where the usb plugs in? One of mine had an issue and it was the one without the notch. Sidehack replaced/repaired the board and gave me a case with the notch cut out. I am currently running 4 of these with no issues. What are you selling your pod for @gt

It looks like an issue with the port. My cable always seems to stress upwards. Currently have something wedged in to hold the cable level and it seems to have done the trick. Running 625m no issues. As soon as I take the "wedge" out it starts acting up.

Ive got one with the notch and an orange/beige PCB. Just finished work so going to investigate further, got some replacement ports coming soon so hoping a port replacement will sort it.

Only selling as I'm hoping to grab a couple of Ferrari sticks and only have so much desk real estate to play with. Plus the electricity cost of course. I know im mining at a loss anyway here in the UK but if I can reduce the electricity cost then its obviously better.

I have the Gekko Hub and Fan Stand sitting on the shelf from when I had the Newpacs, so its only the sticks I need.

Also its sidehacks gear so can run it through cgminer and not have any problems mining to the pool I like  Wink

ok so not the notch issue - if it has to be angled up that port is prolly def the issue. good luck at getting it fixed. I think I see yours on ebay its the only one there and its in the UK Smiley

And I agree - love sidehacks gear for sure.

Also its sidehacks gear so can run it through cgminer and not have any problems mining to the pool I like  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 2195
EIN: 82-3893490
Ah, okay...... so the issue has been somewhat narrowed.  Unfortunate that a weak connection may be the culprit. Just as a point of reference I had something similar happen a few months back where it would start hashing and then immediately fade to nothing.  Turned out there was too much draw on the one supply I was using although it was the same it had always been.  I changed psu's and "eh voila" it was back.  Still running strong at 738.   As you replied to me on e-Bay I am interested and do have several Newpacs available that are no longer in use if you're interested in a trade/exchange.  Would be great if you could get the pod sorted first of course, ha ha.

Yea the aim is to sort the pod first before sale. Hence the high price aswell. Thanks for th offer of the exchange but I’ve had Newpacs and sold them to get the R606. Now im trying to sell the R606 to get the new ferrari sticks. Basically trading up at each generation.
Pages:
Jump to: