Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience NewPac / Terminus R606 (BM1387) Official Support Thread - page 11. (Read 61330 times)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

I was meant to update this. Its got me stumped. Currently running at 600m V5 for the past couple of days without issue. It could well be a problem with the Pi instead. But I don’t know. It works fine when it works. When the issue arose then it would take a couple of power cycles and then it would work fine on stock settings.

I would suggest removing all other sources of interference and working from the bare minimum to start.  Replace the USB cable; they are notorius for failing and causing these types of issues. Try plugging into another processing unit or pc to see if the issue persists.  Eliminate the Pi as an issue before moving on.

Yep tried three different cables all all experienced the same thing. Can’t try another pc as its windoze 10 and an arse.

Coincidentally this evening after knocking my desk, the cable moved and the problem started again. I’m going to take a look at the micro usb socket on the board and see if I can replace it.

Ah, okay...... so the issue has been somewhat narrowed.  Unfortunate that a weak connection may be the culprit. Just as a point of reference I had something similar happen a few months back where it would start hashing and then immediately fade to nothing.  Turned out there was too much draw on the one supply I was using although it was the same it had always been.  I changed psu's and "eh voila" it was back.  Still running strong at 738.   As you replied to me on e-Bay I am interested and do have several Newpacs available that are no longer in use if you're interested in a trade/exchange.  Would be great if you could get the pod sorted first of course, ha ha.
Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

I was meant to update this. Its got me stumped. Currently running at 600m V5 for the past couple of days without issue. It could well be a problem with the Pi instead. But I don’t know. It works fine when it works. When the issue arose then it would take a couple of power cycles and then it would work fine on stock settings.

I would suggest removing all other sources of interference and working from the bare minimum to start.  Replace the USB cable; they are notorius for failing and causing these types of issues. Try plugging into another processing unit or pc to see if the issue persists.  Eliminate the Pi as an issue before moving on.

Yep tried three different cables all all experienced the same thing. Can’t try another pc as its windoze 10 and an arse.

Coincidentally this evening after knocking my desk, the cable moved and the problem started again. I’m going to take a look at the micro usb socket on the board and see if I can replace it.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Hi guys,

Sorry to bother you all again, but my cable arrived (thanks for the info!) and I’ve got my R606 running on CGMiner now, but I’m seeing some readout info that I don’t understand, and I was hoping someone could enlighten me!

First thing is:

I’m seeing 0: GSI 0 - R606 Bitcoin Miner (10040525) in between the ‘accepted…’ share messages that scroll down the screen;

Second thing is:

I’ve got the R606 USB directly plugged into my computer in case that matters, I’ve got the appropriate power supply, and I’m running it at setting 3, 420 mV. But the WU seems to fluctuate… it’s reading “75.1% WU: ^68%” but it fluctuates up to 100% on both counts sometimes. Is there something wrong with it, or is that normal given the power setting?

Right now it’s putting out 500 Gh/s but again, that fluctuates.

Do you guys think it’s okay? Also, what does 75.1% WU: ^68% mean?

Thanks again guys!

Welcome to the mining community.

WU is for Work Utility.  Its a measurement of how much you are distributed from the pool.  It will bounce up and down for the most part until you have a very stable vardiff that doesn't change.  Variable difficulty is sent by the pool to establish the best connection speed and "work" your units are able to provide without getting clogged or waiting too long for a response.  Each pool has their own rules as to how much is the "goldilocks" rate so don't worry too much about that.  The version of CGMiner used for the Gekkoscience products are auto adjustiing and will find the best rate based on what you're putting into the startup file.

Once everything settles down you should see a balance that changes very little.  For example: 8 Newpacs @ 500mhz will start out at less than 70% but after an hour or so will be at 98% and 95% WU.  If you 'Overclock" have a good fan on them.
Well the issue has returned. Managed to get it to run at 500m V5 for a while, then just starts resetting the Target lower and lower until it just ends in a boot loop kind of thing.

Any ideas anyone?

My guess is you have fallen victim to the temp sensor.  Its a very well known issue so perhaps you should contact whom you purchased from to find out what, if anything, you can do.  Selling it on e-Bay the way it is isn't the solution.

If you can get an answer from your provider then perhaps you can decide which way to proceed; otherwise its rather unscrupulous to pawn it off on on somebody else without providing the above information.

Activity: 16
Merit: 2
Hi guys,

Sorry to bother you all again, but my cable arrived (thanks for the info!) and I’ve got my R606 running on CGMiner now, but I’m seeing some readout info that I don’t understand, and I was hoping someone could enlighten me!

First thing is:

I’m seeing 0: GSI 0 - R606 Bitcoin Miner (10040525) in between the ‘accepted…’ share messages that scroll down the screen;

Second thing is:

I’ve got the R606 USB directly plugged into my computer in case that matters, I’ve got the appropriate power supply, and I’m running it at setting 3, 420 mV. But the WU seems to fluctuate… it’s reading “75.1% WU: ^68%” but it fluctuates up to 100% on both counts sometimes. Is there something wrong with it, or is that normal given the power setting?

Thanks again guys!

https://i.ibb.co/pzhsNVQ/image.png

here is a screenshot of my cgminer (this is for 4 R606's)

that first line you asking about is from below right? I see those occasionally and for each of my R606's - not sure what they mean. As for your other question, the WU changes on mine as well for example in the screenshot above my first miner shows WU as 70.6 and as I now write this it shows 98% - I believe this references how the hash rate compares to the target. When the hash rate increases so will the WU.

maybe some others can chime in as well.

Thanks a lot for the clarification. Sounds like everything is fine then! My Newpaks also fluctuate, but less, and they’re the only miners I’ve had until this point. I’ve ordered a Futurebit Apollo BTC, super excited about running my own node and getting a more powerful miner! That said, I love Gekkoscience products, and I’m hoping to accumulate a bunch of them. I’m pointing all my Gekkoscience gear at CKPool… something about the (remote) possibility of mining a block gives me hope every day. But the Apollo will probably be pool mining. If only I had a bigger place, I’d fill it with these things! Anyways, thanks again.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 2224
EIN: 82-3893490
Hi guys,

First thing is:

Second thing is:

Thanks again guys!

here is a screenshot of my cgminer (this is for 4 R606's)

that first line you asking about is from below right? I see those occasionally and for each of my R606's - not sure what they mean. As for your other question, the WU changes on mine as well for example in the screenshot above my first miner shows WU as 70.6 and as I now write this it shows 98% - I believe this references how the hash rate compares to the target. When the hash rate increases so will the WU.

maybe some others can chime in as well.
Hi guys,

First thing is:

Second thing is:

Thanks again guys!
Yeah it's like the old PS3 controller connection as you can see in the pic above on the right,
it's not a micro-usb or usb-c like on android phones.

Thank you!
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
You should also be able to find the USB-A to mini-USB cables at gas stations. drug stores, hardware stores, etc. They are sold everywhere usually near the checkout. Just be sure they are labeled as charge + data or sync to make sure it is not a charging-only cable.
Yeah it's like the old PS3 controller connection as you can see in the pic above on the right,

Thanks! I’ll try to get it on Amazon.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 2224
EIN: 82-3893490
Hi guys,

I’ve just bought a used R606 Terminus on eBay, but it didn’t come with any cords. I’ve sourced a power adapter, but I can’t seem to figure out which type of USB cord the device needs to connect to my computer. Does anyone know what type it is? I’d really appreciate the help!

its a mini usb on the miner side and standard usb on the pc side.

Hi guys,

I’ve just bought a used R606 Terminus on eBay, but it didn’t come with any cords. I’ve sourced a power adapter, but I can’t seem to figure out which type of USB cord the device needs to connect to my computer. Does anyone know what type it is? I’d really appreciate the help!
Well the issue has returned. Managed to get it to run at 500m V5 for a while, then just starts resetting the Target lower and lower until it just ends in a boot loop kind of thing.

Any ideas anyone?
OK so my R606 is poorly.

We had a internet outage yesterday and although it came back up ok I keep getting "0: GSI 0 - R606 Bitcoin Miner (10040338) " listed in cgminer on my Pi4.

Nothing has changed in settings or in power delivery to the unit or the Pi. Its been running since February when I shut it down for a clean. No issues until now.

Anyone have any ideas?

P.S. I have tried different usb cables but still the same result.

I was able to fix mine i had a similar issue. The USB port seems to be wonky. I was going to attempt to get it fixed but i ordered brand new cables (which didn't work at first) but then i opened it up, cleaned everything again and made sure the USB area was VERY clean & applied a tiny bit of pressure by squeezing/pinching the USB area to the board. I guess i was trying to tighten it a bit or maybe get the contacts closer to the board or something like that. Idk i totally broscienced it

Surprisingly, it seems to have worked. I've been mining for a couple of days again no issues. When i first got it working, it did take a couple of jiggles but it was eventually picked up by cgminer and has run solid since.

I'll give this a go when I get the chance. The problem seems to have appeared again after a few days of running fine  Undecided

EDIT: So I took it apart today and had a good look over it. USB port seemed fine, no loose joints or anything. Gave the whole thing a clean and also redid the thermal paste under the top heatsink. The original stuff was a bit crusty so thought I may aswell do it.

It seems to have worked so far. Running 775m on V5 now. Previously 800m on V5. No idea if it was the cleaning or the paste thats done anything but I wont be touching it for a while.
Activity: 66
Merit: 35
OK so my R606 is poorly.

We had a internet outage yesterday and although it came back up ok I keep getting "0: GSI 0 - R606 Bitcoin Miner (10040338) " listed in cgminer on my Pi4.

Nothing has changed in settings or in power delivery to the unit or the Pi. Its been running since February when I shut it down for a clean. No issues until now.

Anyone have any ideas?

P.S. I have tried different usb cables but still the same result.

I was able to fix mine i had a similar issue. The USB port seems to be wonky. I was going to attempt to get it fixed but i ordered brand new cables (which didn't work at first) but then i opened it up, cleaned everything again and made sure the USB area was VERY clean & applied a tiny bit of pressure by squeezing/pinching the USB area to the board. I guess i was trying to tighten it a bit or maybe get the contacts closer to the board or something like that. Idk i totally broscienced it

Surprisingly, it seems to have worked. I've been mining for a couple of days again no issues. When i first got it working, it did take a couple of jiggles but it was eventually picked up by cgminer and has run solid since.
copper member
Activity: 25
Does anyone have the diagram for how the DC-DC convertor connects to the rest of the board?
On which device, a NewPac or Terminus? They are 2 very different things...

My bad, r606
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Does anyone have the diagram for how the DC-DC convertor connects to the rest of the board?
On which device, a NewPac or Terminus? They are 2 very different things...
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
copper member
Activity: 25
Does anyone have the diagram for how the DC-DC convertor connects to the rest of the board? I burnt out the original one, and when removing it, ended up pulling off some of the solder pads. To put the new one on, I need to know where I can connect the repair pads. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Pages:
Jump to: