Author

Topic: GekkoScience NewPac / Terminus R606 (BM1387) Official Support Thread - page 106. (Read 61315 times)

vh
Activity: 699
Merit: 666
Update:-

Unplugged the both sticks from the hub and plugged ONE stick directly into the usb3.0 port on the computer with a usb fan cooling it from another port. Ran at 300m at stock vcore and still only getting 53.6gh. Any ideas?

Here are the usual troubleshooting swap-able parts that will typically pick up an anomaly:  
  • Using a different hub or no hub.
  • Using a different usb port.
  • Using a different PC.
  • Using a different build of cgminer.
  • Using a lower frequency.
  • Using a different vcore.

strike-thru-ing the ones you've mentioned you've tried or are not relevant.

Stray troublemakers (better to avoid using)
  • Extension cables
  • USB 3.0
  • Other devices on USB bus
  • Windows

I think most of this is in the first post, but a few are not so I'll cross reference and update it a moment.
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
i know this sounds odd, but give the miner a minute to rest. if they overheated, letting them "rest" for an hour unplugged usually helps. If thats the case, please see what you can do to add a little cooling. you may want to run at 75MHz temporally too, until you can get some cooling on them.

IF you purchased your miners from our store, contact me over DM or email and I'll make sure your taken care of.

Many thanks,

it's up and mining again. Replaced the fan, put it back to stock and will leave it for few hours and then increase again.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
200 is stock I believe. Try there after a decent break and maybe separate instances with --usb :1 if you haven't.
Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
Update:-

Unplugged the both sticks from the hub and plugged ONE stick directly into the usb3.0 port on the computer with a usb fan cooling it from another port. Ran at 300m at stock vcore and still only getting 53.6gh. Any ideas?
Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
Cooling was on all night (case fan) aimed straight at the pcb and heatsink.

I'll check it again once I get home

I had a 2pac with this same issue. 419's advice is solid. Even a quick unplug, replug didn't help right off but eventually it started hashing. If it's OC'd I reset to stock after a rest and drive it back up slowly.
Cooling was on all night (case fan) aimed straight at the pcb and heatsink.

I'll check it again once I get home
copper member
Activity: 190
Merit: 111
https://www.419mining.com
i know this sounds odd, but give the miner a minute to rest. if they overheated, letting them "rest" for an hour unplugged usually helps. If thats the case, please see what you can do to add a little cooling. you may want to run at 75MHz temporally too, until you can get some cooling on them.

IF you purchased your miners from our store, contact me over DM or email and I'll make sure your taken care of.

Also, i just finished fan stand templates for 80mm and 120mm fan mounts. uploaded to the thingiverse,
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3270261
Woke up this morning to see my Newpac resetting every 5 seconds. Rebooted the Pi and USB hub.  Started up cgminer again and got 0 chips found. Fired up another linux box and compiled cgminer, just to get the same message with 0 chips found (this time without the USB hub).

Haven't tried it in Windows yet will do when I get home from work.
Activity: 439
Merit: 297
www.amazon.com/shops/MinersSupply
I just found this screenshot of cgminer v4.10, running x2 compac sticks on 2017 JUNE 01, and don't see a hardware error percentage.

-click to enlarge -
copper member
I just got my Newpac today. Seeing a lot of HW errors even at 100MHz. Could this be due to a dodgy hub?

Like sidehack said, if your getting a good hashrate, the HW errors are unimportant. If your running at 100MHz, you should be seeing around 22.8 GH/s.

If thats not the case, it could be an issue with power from the hub, try plugging directly into the USB port on the back of the PC for direct power from the motherboard. The other thing that tends to cause excessive HW errors is heat, you can try pointing a simple fan at it to help dissipate the heat a little. If neither one of those two things fixes your issues, let me know, there are a few other things but 99% of the time its those first two.
Activity: 22
Merit: 30
I don't recall explicitly adjusting anything related to hardware error percentages.
Try attaching a screen shot of what you notice was omitted in this build.

Not much has changed recently on the display side.

Jan 2017 (about two years ago)

http://23.108.83.14/images/2Pac-0004.png

Dec 2018 (this build)

http://23.108.83.14/images/2Pac-0012.png

If you are comparing pre 4.10, I wouldn't be able to answer.  

There would probably be some notes in GitHub.

Now that I've looked at further, I see that cgminer hasn't included HW % rate; I was confusing it with bfgminer I suppose.  
My apologies.
Return the stick to it's factory vcore to ease power draw at high frequency.  

http://23.108.83.14/images/NewPac-0006.png

Test them one at a time to see if you can push past 55GHs.

Start at 300MHz, unless you get 68GHs (0.228 x 300) don't go higher .

Try with and without the hub - single stick.  

I find my dell's usb port does pretty well with a single stick, fan, no powered hub.

Once you get 68GHs, bump the freq up by no more than 25-50MHz at a time, test for 24hrs...

One at a time first and you should be able to find where the bottleneck is.

Thanks vh, i will give that a go this evening and report back tomorrow.
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
The NewPac doesn't implement a ticket mask so there's no minimum threshold below which shares are discarded at the chip. All shares, even diff-1 shares, are reported. This means the total volume of data coming back is significantly higher than previous sticks even for the same hashrate. In order to help with the volume, we're also operating the serial bus at about 13 times the bitrate of previous sticks.

All this makes the data bus more susceptible to noise and tight timing and signal-quality constraints, as well as leaving no filter for potentially erroneous shares from the chips.

The HW error rate could be lousy for a near-threshold-voltage stick but as long as the overall hashrate is preserved (within 98% or so of theoretical) I wouldn't worry about it. If your hashrate is reading low, then there's a problem.
I just got my Newpac today. Seeing a lot of HW errors even at 100MHz. Could this be due to a dodgy hub?
vh
Return the stick to it's factory vcore to ease power draw at high frequency.  

Test them one at a time to see if you can push past 55GHs.

Start at 300MHz, unless you get 68GHs (0.228 x 300) don't go higher .

Try with and without the hub - single stick.  

I find my dell's usb port does pretty well with a single stick, fan, no powered hub.

Once you get 68GHs, bump the freq up by no more than 25-50MHz at a time, test for 24hrs...

One at a time first and you should be able to find where the bottleneck is.
Well after turning down the pot to the 6oclock position and setting it to 400freq im still only getting 55ghs each. Can anyone help out? I cant figure ot why they wont break the 55ghs mark.
vh
vh:
Thanks for the update!  I noticed that the hardware error percentage rate has been removed/omitted from this version...was that intentional?

I don't recall explicitly adjusting anything related to hardware error percentages.
Try attaching a screen shot of what you notice was omitted in this build.

Not much has changed recently on the display side.

Jan 2017 (about two years ago)

Dec 2018 (this build)

If you are comparing pre 4.10, I wouldn't be able to answer.  

There would probably be some notes in GitHub.
Activity: 22
Merit: 30
A new build is available (9d66fd3):

Windows binary: cgminer-4.11.1-windows-gekko-9d66fd3.7z

- Fixed datetime display.

- Closed gaps in data transmission to reduce line power fluxations.
    - Spin off dedicated work tx thread.
    - Switch from blocking get_work to get_queued.
    - Send null work to keep asic busy during network glitches and when pool is reacting to block events.

Reminder best practice update process: keep old working (or favorite) build readily available.
  • move the existing "cgminer" folder to "cgminer.yyyymmdd"
  • clone repository to create a new cgminer folder as noted from first post instructions.

vh:
Thanks for the update!  I noticed that the hardware error percentage rate has been removed/omitted from this version...was that intentional?
Makerbots are good, just not cheap. I wouldnt buy one, but if you have access to one through a school, take advantage of that.

If enough people need it, I can print them (for a small fee, maybe $3 + shipping?) and mail them out.

Definitely another venture for the site. If you do 3D printing. I was on talks with a guy a few months ago to design a duct for the HP server psus so you could have a stronger fan blowing through from the back but he never got back to me. A fan mount for usb sticks on the ther hand is always a winner.
copper member
3D printing I wonder what we have access to? I think makerbot? They any good 419?

Makerbots are good, just not cheap. I wouldnt buy one, but if you have access to one through a school, take advantage of that.

If enough people need it, I can print them (for a small fee, maybe $3 + shipping?) and mail them out.
Jump to: