Author

Topic: GekkoScience NewPac / Terminus R606 (BM1387) Official Support Thread - page 109. (Read 61321 times)

Activity: 142
Merit: 60
I remember a program from back in the day when USB miners were your only option to mine Bitcoin, called "cgwatcher". The program was made solely to restart cgminer at intervals set by the user. Having said that, I would presume the culprit has something to do with cgminer.

The solution to the problem seems to be the same for everyone - either manually restart cgminer and/or run a script to do it automatically for you.

I agree that the culprit isn't the NewPacs or Sidehack, as I have running a restart script since the days of .333 G/h USB miners.  I still have my old .bat restart script for Windows archived. If anyone wants me to post it, I will.

Restarting loses only seconds, where if it goes offline you may lose minutes or hours.
Activity: 97
Merit: 5
What sort of cooling did you use to get them running at that speed and stable?

Yea, and what kind of temps are you seeing with said cooling. What are your ambient, pcb, chips and post air temps?

You could get 1Ths for under 150 watts on 8 sticks at 500MHz, lol. It's about 300MHz higher and hotter for sure than I would feel comfortable leaving alone in the house.
Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
What sort of cooling did you use to get them running at that speed and stable?
Activity: 439
Merit: 297
www.amazon.com/shops/MinersSupply
Unfortunately, I am on Windows 10.1 and can't help much with running these sticks on linux or other OS's. I restart my PC and cgminer at least once every 24 hours, otherwise my sticks will generally start experiencing performance degradation and may even go zombie (similar to the problems a couple of others seem to posting about). I remember a program from back in the day when USB miners were your only option to mine Bitcoin, called "cgwatcher". The program was made solely to restart cgminer at intervals set by the user. Having said that, I would presume the culprit has something to do with cgminer.

The solution to the problem seems to be the same for everyone - either manually restart cgminer and/or run a script to do it automatically for you. Also, running them at higher frequencies only seems to make matters worse, and may cause working sticks to suddenly go bad. As someone else previously stated, I have also noticed that these NewPac sticks run MUCH cooler than the 2PAC sticks (although I use the same powerful fan for cooling regardless).

Now to be a bit hypocritical. After seeing others run these NewPac sticks at such high frequencies, I began running some very closely monitored tests. The results are simply amazing! Using two Plugable USB3.0 7-Port 60 Watt USB Hubs (two sticks in each hub), I was able to achieve a hashrate of over 100Gh/s per stick. In order to make all four sticks run with stability, it took many voltage adjustments to get it right. All x4 sticks ran smoothly until I purposely shut cgminer down to change the frequencies back to stock. Here is a screenshot of my results:

- click on image to enlarge -
Awesome! I got it to work on the first try. I did see that the first window mentions that the "-e" is depricated. Is there something else that should be used like "--" in front of the gnome-terminal?

Oh yeah they depreciated the "-e" for some reason in 18.04 LTS. I don't know why. I started getting this error message when I upgraded from 16.04. It will still work, but might not work on future versions of Ubuntu (18.04 is supported for 10 years). The current manual still shows the "-e" option but doesn't give any alternative, other than "--command=", which is also depreciated. What the error message suggests does not work and it doesn't work without the "-e".  I assume this is a bug in gnome-terminal that will be fixed or an alternative solution will be found if and when they actually remove it.
Open terminal and run the following command from the directory you saved your script to (moving it to the home folder first is easiest, or navigate to your desktop folder):

Code:
./mine.sh

You can also add the script to your startup applications once you've tested that it works.

Awesome! I got it to work on the first try. I did see that the first window mentions that the "-e" is deprecated. Is there something else that should be used like "--" in front of the gnome-terminal?
Thank you, I'm still learning my way around Linux but getting there.

I made the changes and saved to the desktop. When I double-click or right-click "Open with Run Software" it spins for a bit then nothing.

This is a fresh install so I may be missing something that it is calling for.

Open terminal and run the following command from the directory you saved your script to (moving it to the home folder first is easiest, or navigate to your desktop folder):

Code:
./mine.sh

You can also add the script to your startup applications once you've tested that it works.
I had the same issue with a 2pac recently. Took a few attempts to to start hashing again. But essentially when I dropped the clock on it, it started right up. Let it warm up and then upped it again. Maybe worth a shot before sending back.

will do, thank you

I left the voltage at 860mV and tried all the way down to 50MHz with no success.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
Ubuntu machine and cgminer running solid.

However, I came home to one of the NewPacs in a loop showing "0 chips found" and trying to restart

Tried changing hubs, solo instance, different computers all to no avail.

I have all of my NewPacs running at 200MHz and 860mV with ample cooling.

Is there anything else I can try or test for before sending it in for repair?

I had the same issue with a 2pac recently. Took a few attempts to to start hashing again. But essentially when I dropped the clock on it, it started right up. Let it warm up and then upped it again. Maybe worth a shot before sending back.
Change lxterminal to gnome-terminal.  I run Ubuntu myself, I just changed it to lxterminal for him because he mentioned using the raspberry pi.

Thank you, I'm still learning my way around Linux but getting there.

I made the changes and saved to the desktop. When I double-click or right-click "Open with Run Software" it spins for a bit then nothing.

This is a fresh install so I may be missing something that it is calling for.
Interesting, what do I need to change to run on Ubuntu aside from username and file location?

Change lxterminal to gnome-terminal.  I run Ubuntu myself, I just changed it to lxterminal for him because he mentioned using the raspberry pi.
Ubuntu machine and cgminer running solid.

However, I came home to one of the NewPacs in a loop showing "0 chips found" and trying to restart

Tried changing hubs, solo instance, different computers all to no avail.

I have all of my NewPacs running at 200MHz and 860mV with ample cooling.

Is there anything else I can try or test for before sending it in for repair?

I have not had any issues with these new-pacs but I have never ran them longer than 6 hours because my standard procedure is to use a script to restart cgminer every couple of hours.

Here is a similar code to what I use, but written for your Raspberry Pi.  You still have to edit it slightly to fit your particulars.

Save this code as mine.sh, edit the line starting with lxterminal with the full path to your cgminer folder and then put in the commands you usually use for your pool, mark as an executing program and run.  It goes in a loop so to exit, just use control C.

[...]

Interesting, what do I need to change to run on Ubuntu aside from username and file location?
I am running mine on 49 port hub, 10 port siopar 2.1a per port.  when they start all good.  then next day they all stop.  I am using raspberry pi, and uddo machine. it happens on both.. So that might be issues that you are talking about can't go 24 hours without all stopping.  was running them at 250mhz with powered 100v fan.

Not sure what to do to fix this.

I have not had any issues with these new-pacs but I have never ran them longer than 6 hours because my standard procedure is to use a script to restart cgminer every couple of hours.

Here is a similar code to what I use, but written for your Raspberry Pi.  You still have to edit it slightly to fit your particulars.

Save this code as mine.sh, edit the line starting with lxterminal with the full path to your cgminer folder and then put in the commands you usually use for your pool, mark as an executing program and run.  It goes in a loop so to exit, just use control C.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "Restarting cgminer every 6 hours"
while true
do
 lxterminal -e "/home/USERNAME/cgminer/cgminer -o POOL_URL -u USER -p PW --suggest-diff 128"
 sleep 21600
 pkill -f cgminer
 echo "Restarting cgminer..."
 sleep 4
done
Activity: 178
Merit: 12
I am running mine on 49 port hub, 10 port siopar 2.1a per port.  when they start all good.  then next day they all stop.  I am using raspberry pi, and uddo machine. it happens on both.. So that might be issues that you are talking about can't go 24 hours without all stopping.  was running them at 250mhz with powered 100v fan.

Not sure what to do to fix this.
Ubuntu loaded and cgminer running!!

Could not get the example to work on ckpool but was able to connect to "prohashing.com:3335"

Headed to bed just glad it was able to connect to a pool, will sort it out tomorrow.

Gives me time to (bug IT dept) learn how to write executables and such.

g'night
We are not retail.
Nice, sounds good.

Yea everything here is moving through 3.0 to but the gekko hub is 2.0. Maybe I'll try on 2.0 ports for AB (then I don't think that's my issue). I have the three newpac (350 mhz) and three 2pac (200 mhz) on each usb chain I was told the hub has. I had it filled but was getting a 2pac zombie here and there on the chain with three ports. So I just popped it out and ran the newpacs up to 350. I'll try and replace with another two from the secondary hub running.

Besides the issues with AB I have yet to have a newpac go "off" or "zombie" on me. Perfection for the most part. I'd talk more about the hub but I shouldn't. I'll just be upping clocks every few days and knocking on wood to hit block, especially with diff down.

I run everything in separate batch files and the 2pacs on 4.10 still seemed to like the OC's better than 4.11 imo. Then I attest a lot of my issues to user error. Roll Eyes
Activity: 110
Merit: 56
gnelson, you running asic boost in batch file? Some reason in winx with a hub I can't run it. W/o asic boost so far I have clocks at 350 mhz for the new pacs.

No, sir. I can't get it to work on my Windows machines (7 or 10). I started slowly at 200MHz and day by day bumped it 'til I got to 450MHZ. The USB3.0 hub and USB3.0 on board the computer might be helping... I'm using two Arctic fans on the NewPacs but I swear that even at 450 they run cooler than the 2Pacs do at 175!
For the record, these first three are from the 100301xx series (AsicPuppy). I'm hoping the six from mfb make it here by Thursday... Thanks again.
NewPacs are running on --usb :3 without Hash Degradation
TwoPacs are running on --usb :4 - Two instances, same hub as NewPacs and same win10 i5 as controller - but they degrade or one or two drop out after 12 or 14 hours... For wireless, I can't complain. <3 <3 for the NewPacs

How's the sidehack hub working for you? Inquiring minds want to know...
We are not retail.
I also run everything --usb :1 seems to deliver better hash rates with my 2pac OC's.
We are not retail.
gnelson, you running asic boost in batch file? Some reason in winx with a hub I can't run it. W/o asic boost so far I have clocks at 350 mhz for the new pacs.

Code:
{
 "hashrate1m": "386G",
 "hashrate5m": "346G",
 "hashrate1hr": "341G",
 "hashrate1d": "342G",
 "hashrate7d": "271G",
 "lastshare": 1543986500,
 "workers": 9,
 "shares": 313387235,
 "bestshare": 259652559.840561,
 "bestever": 297723585,
 "worker": [
  {
   "workername": "3x newpac",
   "hashrate1m": "285G",
   "hashrate5m": "241G",
   "hashrate1hr": "231G",
   "hashrate1d": "234G",
   "hashrate7d": "160G",
   "lastshare": 1543986500,
   "shares": 39401075,
   "bestshare": 32864344.7287598,
   "bestever": 32864344
  },
  {
   "workername": "6x 2pac",
   "hashrate1m": "120G",
   "hashrate5m": "108G",
   "hashrate1hr": "110G",
   "hashrate1d": "108G",
   "hashrate7d": "74.8G",
   "lastshare": 1543986494,
   "shares": 18810565,
   "bestshare": 7845667.999090794,
   "bestever": 7845667
  }
 ]
}
I have the house hardwired, thankfully I got most of that ran this past spring. I have Hughesnet Satellite and Verizon Celluar as my internet sources as I am also in a rural area.

I am hoping that this Ubuntu machine will resolve my issues. I also have plugables both 2.0 and 3.0 versions as well as a Sipolar 10 port.
Jump to: