Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience NewPac / Terminus R606 (BM1387) Official Support Thread - page 3. (Read 61321 times)

Activity: 76
Merit: 10
Hi all,

I bought a broken NEWPAC miner and wondering if there are any available schematics i can use to work out how to fix it?

Any help greatly appreciated
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
UPDATE! I set the start frequency to 350 and it is hashing away quite happily at about 81G...

I have read other posts with similar outcomes on this forum but still do not understand why it needs such a jumpstart. Is it on its way out?
Hi.  Issue with ZOMBIED NewPac. It reads either 2,1 or 0 chips and will not hash over about 6G when it has detected 2 chips (cgminer)  Any suggestions please.
Activity: 952
Merit: 938
R606 has basically been discontinued. Reliability was never that good, and the mechanical parts were way too labor-intensive to manufacture and assemble. If/when there's another pod, it'll use the same basic dimensions but a different mechanical design (including heatsinks) so it goes together a lot easier. It's really demoralizing to put a lot of time into assembling and testing a device only to have it come back for warranty repair.

Thanks for the info. 

Regarding the Gekko usb mining sticks and the powered USB hub,  Does USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 matter as far as the hash rate goes?  I some of the recommended hubs are USB 2.0 but the one that Bitcoinmerch bundles with these miners is USB 3.0.  So I wanted to ask.   I already have one of each hub, just curious which I should use.

It doesn't matter if it's USB2 or USB3, that's mostly for data speed and the amount of data you send is almost nothing. The most important thing to check with these USB hubs is how much power you can transfer per port. The hub from bitcoinmerch that comes with 3 compac Fs has a maximum of 2.4A per port, which is pretty good, much better than most hubs you'll find in the market. You can mine at 300GH/s+ per Compac F with that at 15W.

If you want to go higher than that you'll need a special hub, which delivers more than 2.4A per port. I think the GekkoScience hubs are the only ones that actually deliver that. I haven't seen anything else in the market even close to that. And I think these hubs are USB2.0.
Activity: 1
Hi  Cheesy! I recently had a friend ask me to fix his Newpac. He has broken off the parts shown in the photo - (https://imgur.com/a/Ovgvoag)

Sidehack or anyone else experienced, maybe you can tell me what 2 parts are used here? I would be very grateful.

Thanks Wink
I have  4x NewPacs and 1 Compac (diferent hubs) running 4.12 on Windows 10

Bizarrely the 4 Newpacs all run at full tilt with one hub plugged in,  and the Compac is fine on the other hub by itself.

When both hubs are plugged in one of the Newpacs performs as follows:

0: GSH 10036077: BM1387:02+ 393.75MHz T:394 P:392 (95:48)  | 53.1% WU: 61% | 48.15G / 54.38Gh/s WU: 759.7/m

if I reset the device it goes back up to speed.. however after a few hours it drops again.  I have 4 Arctic USB fans blowing on them so temp shouldn't be an issue.

I see that the frequency has been automatically throttled back slightly...

My batch file....

cgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://solo.ckpool.org:3333 --gekko-newpac-freq 400 --gekko-compacf-freq 450 --gekko-start-freq 300 --gekko-tune-up 85 -u bc1q5mev0ddxan2zspas0t7wgl3ftxxrhq67hn2d53.0 -p x --suggest-diff 1024

Any suggestions?
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Far as I know, it doesn't matter. USB3 is a nine-pin connection, with a standard 4-pin USB2 bus wired alongside 5 pins of USB3, so when a Gekko stick is plugged in it only utilizes the USB2 lines anyway. USB2-only hubs are probably getting less and less likely in the market since so much even basic stuff is USB3 now, but "basic" is still higher up the technical hierarchy than the basic primitive bus/protocol conversion chips that stick miners utilize. Far as I know, there aren't any USB3-specific adapter chips, which makes sense since USB2 bus bandwidth can already operate about two orders of magnitude faster than a basic serial line would ever need to.

In the past there's been some talk around USB3 hubs tying directly into a Pi for some reason not running sticks stably or optimally, which folks I think solved by just putting a USB2 hub inline? I've really only run USB2 anyway for these guys, since that's what our hubs are built around and even our factory testers use customizations of basically the same platform as the powered hubs we sell.
Activity: 32
Merit: 5
R606 has basically been discontinued. Reliability was never that good, and the mechanical parts were way too labor-intensive to manufacture and assemble. If/when there's another pod, it'll use the same basic dimensions but a different mechanical design (including heatsinks) so it goes together a lot easier. It's really demoralizing to put a lot of time into assembling and testing a device only to have it come back for warranty repair.

Thanks for the info. 

Regarding the Gekko usb mining sticks and the powered USB hub,  Does USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 matter as far as the hash rate goes?  I some of the recommended hubs are USB 2.0 but the one that Bitcoinmerch bundles with these miners is USB 3.0.  So I wanted to ask.   I already have one of each hub, just curious which I should use.
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090
Think for yourself
I wish Gekkoscience would release more of the R606.  They are hard to find.

I wish they would release a pod based on the Compac F chip.  AKA the BM1397.

That would be awesome too.  Especially if it gets hashrates like the R606 or higher.

Much higher I would hope.  While still being somewhat quite.  Since we are hoping and wishing Smiley

That would be awesome too.  Especially if it gets hashrates like the R606 or higher.
legendary
Think for yourself

I wish Gekkoscience would release more of the R606.  They are hard to find.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
In the cgminer README: "SETTING UP USB DEVICES"

https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer/blob/master/README#L582

or if your scrolling doesn't work ... linux below it:

https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer/blob/master/README#L620
legendary
Think for yourself
I  reinstalled the VH version and it will not detect any miners. am I missing something when I am installing (i.e. are there corrective steps that have not been added to the original post?)

These are the instructions I used when I installed on my Pi4.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.50968875
That other 'w' version removes all the git code ownership information, adds a security risk (extranonce) and they release a windows binary with who knows what in it.
If they can't even use git properly, I'd worry about using any code they added to cgminer ...

If you want to use a version other than mine, for the pre CompacF Gekko miners, you must use VH's version.
He wrote the original Gekko driver.
I pulled all VH's Gekko code to my master cgminer git, updated it and added the CompacF to it.

I deleted it (I found your previous comment on that version) , reinstalled the VH version and it will not detect any miners. am I missing something when I am installing (i.e. are there corrective steps that have not been added to the original post?)
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
That other 'w' version removes all the git code ownership information, adds a security risk (extranonce) and they release a windows binary with who knows what in it.
If they can't even use git properly, I'd worry about using any code they added to cgminer ...

If you want to use a version other than mine, for the pre CompacF Gekko miners, you must use VH's version.
He wrote the original Gekko driver.
I pulled all VH's Gekko code to my master cgminer git, updated it and added the CompacF to it.
legendary
Think for yourself
it worked with the wareck github link... strange.

No idea what that means??  

Are you using someones else's github distro?  If so make sure their legit and not malicious.  I would only use code from the actual developers which are Kano or VH (vthoang).
I am having trouble getting 4 Newpacs to work with my PI4. I installed the latest CGMIner (Kano version as suggested in the GMiner forum - strangely this is 4.9.2 - hopefully the correct one)

No idea where one would get that old version.

Here is a link to a post that has the current version and compile instructions:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.58200639

it worked with the wareck github link... strange.
legendary
Think for yourself
I am having trouble getting 4 Newpacs to work with my PI4. I installed the latest CGMIner (Kano version as suggested in the GMiner forum - strangely this is 4.9.2 - hopefully the correct one)

No idea where one would get that old version.

Here is a link to a post that has the current version and compile instructions:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.58200639
Pages:
Jump to: