Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 220. (Read 597421 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
What intensity and concurrent threads are you running? Also what is the temp of the gpu under load?

I had an issue with scrypt mining on one of the rigs that had 3 7950. I had 4 gig ram and once I upgraded to 6 all gpu were running full speed. I am not sure if that is the same issue as you are having. You can try and it and see if it works.

How much ram does the system have?

Question: I'm hashing with two R9-290 with the guiminer scrypt. The first one (connected with monitor) reaches 840 khs the second without connection to a monitor got only 660 khs. Is that normal?
I'm using the same guiminer settings for both GPU's. Installed catalyst and and SDK only before using the first card. Used to second card just today.

8GB

I see this as well but i am running two 280x with gpu capping at 550 khs while gpu 1 can almost do 700 khs on GRC.  changing intensity seems to make it worse. I have 8 gb ram installed.  i am wondering if gp0 is hindered by windows. i am not a linux guru so all my xp in mining has been windows.  also, i am a newb.
Activity: 1666
Merit: 565
New Version Available: 7.74/1.1.5.5: Upgrade from the RPC :  Yes

*  CPU Mining is enabled in this version with up to 150grc payout per cpu-only miner per day.

Best Regards,
Grid

does it means that i mine for 12 hours, i get 75grc?

and, can i mine with my cpu and at the same time with my GPU?
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
I had an issue with scrypt mining on one of the rigs that had 3 7950. I had 4 gig ram and once I upgraded to 6 all gpu were running full speed. I am not sure if that is the same issue as you are having. You can try and it and see if it works.

Question: I'm hashing with two R9-290 with the guiminer scrypt. The first one (connected with monitor) reaches 840 khs the second without connection to a monitor got only 660 khs. Is that normal?
I'm using the same guiminer settings for both GPU's. Installed catalyst and and SDK only before using the first card. Used to second card just today.

8GB

I see this as well but i am running two 280x with gpu capping at 550 khs while gpu 1 can almost do 700 khs on GRC.  changing intensity seems to make it worse. I have 8 gb ram installed.  i am wondering if gp0 is hindered by windows. i am not a linux guru so all my xp in mining has been windows.  also, i am a newb.
legendary

8GB
legendary
I think I had that once, but once I ran it as admin it seemed to work. What dir did you install Gridcoin in?

So really, the GRC software is completely separate from BOINC? 
This is just a scryptcoin distro that looks for a running instance of BOINC, and then hands out rewards based on BOINC utilization?

I'm not a developer, but this seems like it would be awfully easy to hack.  How is the proof of work verified?

Not trying to be antagonistic, but I think GRC is about to increase in popularity, and with that, flaws will be exploited.  It seems like a natural step in the evolution of GRC would be for BOINC to be handled at the pool server, with each connected miner appearing as a device in BOINC.

Miners would simply point their mining client at the pool, same as they would with any other scrypt coin.  This would require the pool server software to break up and parse out BOINC work units to the individual miners.  I'm sure this is no small task, but it probably needs to happen if GRC is to succeed.
Boinc credits are 3rd party API verified.  There is a 5000grc reward to hack it.  Have at it.

Maybe I'll have at it, when I can get it working in the first place.  No one has answered my previous posts about being unable to open the mining console.

Activity: 121
Merit: 100
This is just a scryptcoin distro that looks for a running instance of BOINC, and then hands out rewards based on BOINC utilization?

I'm not a developer, but this seems like it would be awfully easy to hack.  How is the proof of work verified?

Not trying to be antagonistic, but I think GRC is about to increase in popularity, and with that, flaws will be exploited.  It seems like a natural step in the evolution of GRC would be for BOINC to be handled at the pool server, with each connected miner appearing as a device in BOINC.

Miners would simply point their mining client at the pool, same as they would with any other scrypt coin.  This would require the pool server software to break up and parse out BOINC work units to the individual miners.  I'm sure this is no small task, but it probably needs to happen if GRC is to succeed.
Boinc credits are 3rd party API verified.  There is a 5000grc reward to hack it.  Have at it.

Maybe I'll have at it, when I can get it working in the first place.  No one has answered my previous posts about being unable to open the mining console.

Activity: 364
Merit: 252
New Version Available: 7.74/1.1.5.5: Upgrade from the RPC :  Yes

*  CPU Mining is enabled in this version with up to 150grc payout per cpu-only miner per day.

Best Regards,
Grid

I'm trying to move my coins to a new wallet but I'm getting a "Transaction too large" error.
This is not the error related to the fee. I've left adequate coins for the fee and this error follows.
The amount in the transfer is 2800.

edit: If I lower my transaction amount to 2000 I still get the same error. Both come with the following "Transaction creation failed".
If I lower the transaction amount to 1000 it tells me the transaction is too large but I can send it if I pay a 2 GRC fee instead of the normal .001

edit2: At a coin value of 150 some transactions send, others are too big.

You can send it if you send a few smaller transactions out that clean up your wallet private keys, then you can send the large ones; this is an existing feature of all coins;not
sure who the smart alleck is commenting that its a gridcoin issue lol.  Its not.

Is there a way to prevent the wallet size from increasing? I end up with my corruption when it's around 3.5 meg
So I bring out my 96k backup, and all is well... for a very short period of time. At least nothing is lost Smiley

Hi, Ill be looking at this asap to give more advice, but I think the large elephant in the room was the pool mining huge transaction count, and the .02 (temporary) transaction count.
Both of these things bloated the wallet unnecessarily and are now fixed.

Since were going live in an hour, both of these things are fixed; so now we have more time to look at them.

Thanks,
Grid
Activity: 25
Merit: 0
I am getting very inconsistent results.  Any have any ideas?  I am running 12 threads on BOINC and am at 100% processing power consistently.  I have two 280x getting about 1200 kh/s between them.  I started these up two days ago and find 10 blocks in 24 hours, but the next 24 hours I find nothing?  Back when my cudaminer worked I was getting 2 or 3 blocks consistently.  I updated to latest version first thing this morning after.  It has been about 10 hours still and no blocks.

Note:

I was on  v1.1.5.3-g71-prod i think the last time i found a block.  I was on  v1.1.5.4-g71-prod first thing this morning, and now  v1.1.5.5-g71-prod.  We will see what happens.  I am using the default settings from cgminer, no HW errors, and running through the mining console. 

I want to say that I am really excited about this coin's concept, and appreciate the work, but it is getting tough to be confident on whether i am mining correctly anymore. I used to run cgminer outside of the mining console, and had good results after adopting the console, until now.  Like i said, if anyone has any ideas of what i can check to make sure it is working properly, please let me know.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Hm... I upgraded wallet on other PC, and got version 1.1.5.5. Last version s 1.1.5.4, em i'm right? And i got GRC address which begining from letter "F", is this normal?
Activity: 709
Merit: 500
Gridcoin Foundation

8GB

legendary
Activity: 1344
You can join the cpu mining pool, that would porbably work for you.

Hi,

Just a quick noob question regarding mining & boinc,

I already have boinc running on my server for projects that only utilize CPU, as this server has a basic graphics card.
BOINC gets 4 out of the 12 cores, generating an average of 8,000 points/day ( world community grid )

Does it make sense to start mining gridcoin on this machine ?

Vidocq.

yeah, try cpu mining pool, and let us know how many coins get for day!

What is the link for cpu mining pool?
Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

Hi,

I already have boinc running on my server for projects that only utilize CPU, as this server has a basic graphics card.
BOINC gets 4 out of the 12 cores, generating an average of 8,000 points/day ( world community grid )

Vidocq.

yeah, try cpu mining pool, and let us know how many coins get for day!
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Very strange:

What is this? Mining in pool.
UPD. Wallet version was 1.1.5.3. Upgraded to 1.1.5.4.
Yes, I'm running the client as admin. 
I've done a non-default install of BOINC and the Gridcoin QT client (to the Documents folder of the user account), but the install locations were specified in gridcoin.conf

Are you running client as Administrator? Did you specify the boinc install and data dir in gridcoin.conf ?

You should have two windows. The wallet window and the "Gridcoin Mining Module". If you don't see it move to the foreground you may be able to tab to it.

What video card are you using to mine with? If you can get the mining module up we can go from there.

I can't get mining to work.

When I open the GridcoinQT client, and click on Mining-->Mining Console, nothing happens.

BOINC is working correctly, although it does not seem to be taking advantage of my GPUs.

My Gridcoin software version (which says "Litecoin", btw) = v1.1.5.4-g71-prod
   It says BOINC utilization is at 0, even though it is at 100%.
QT software version = v4.8.5
   It is sometimes synced to the blockchain, sometimes not.

When I try to open the mining console (or any other menu like Email, Projects, etc.) nothing happens.

Is there a definitive installation guide?  I followed two different sets of instructions that were not entirely clear. 

Also, I'm trying to use an AMD 7850 GPU.  I've got 5 other rigs running with no problems (mining other coins), but can't seem to get GRC working on my test rig.

Help.  Thanks.
legendary

legendary

Hi,

Vidocq.
Jump to: