Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 221. (Read 597421 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Are you running client as Administrator? Did you specify the boinc install and data dir in gridcoin.conf ?

You should have two windows. The wallet window and the "Gridcoin Mining Module". If you don't see it move to the foreground you may be able to tab to it.

What video card are you using to mine with? If you can get the mining module up we can go from there.

I can't get mining to work.

When I open the GridcoinQT client, and click on Mining-->Mining Console, nothing happens.

BOINC is working correctly, although it does not seem to be taking advantage of my GPUs.

My Gridcoin software version (which says "Litecoin", btw) = v1.1.5.4-g71-prod
   It says BOINC utilization is at 0, even though it is at 100%.
QT software version = v4.8.5
   It is sometimes synced to the blockchain, sometimes not.

When I try to open the mining console (or any other menu like Email, Projects, etc.) nothing happens.

Is there a definitive installation guide?  I followed two different sets of instructions that were not entirely clear. 

Also, I'm trying to use an AMD 7850 GPU.  I've got 5 other rigs running with no problems (mining other coins), but can't seem to get GRC working on my test rig.

Help.  Thanks.
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
You should have two windows. The wallet window and the "Gridcoin Mining Module". If you don't see it move to the foreground you may be able to tab to it.

What video card are you using to mine with? If you can get the mining module up we can go from there.

When I open the GridcoinQT client, and click on Mining-->Mining Console, nothing happens.

BOINC is working correctly, although it does not seem to be taking advantage of my GPUs.

My Gridcoin software version (which says "Litecoin", btw) = v1.1.5.4-g71-prod
   It says BOINC utilization is at 0, even though it is at 100%.
QT software version = v4.8.5
   It is sometimes synced to the blockchain, sometimes not.

When I try to open the mining console (or any other menu like Email, Projects, etc.) nothing happens.

Is there a definitive installation guide?  I followed two different sets of instructions that were not entirely clear. 

Also, I'm trying to use an AMD 7850 GPU.  I've got 5 other rigs running with no problems (mining other coins), but can't seem to get GRC working on my test rig.

Help.  Thanks.
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
Hi,

Just a quick noob question regarding mining & boinc,

I already have boinc running on my server for projects that only utilize CPU, as this server has a basic graphics card.
BOINC gets 4 out of the 12 cores, generating an average of 8,000 points/day ( world community grid )

Does it make sense to start mining gridcoin on this machine ?

Vidocq.
legendary
Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020
I was diagnosed with brain parasite
duh, seems i've chosen the wrong day to reinstall gridcoin wallet. The site gridcoin.us seems down to me, anyone can upload the last .msi for me somewhere else than gridcoin.us?
thanks

Seems to be down also for me...
Activity: 32
duh, seems i've chosen the wrong day to reinstall gridcoin wallet. The site gridcoin.us seems down to me, anyone can upload the last .msi for me somewhere else than gridcoin.us?
thanks
Activity: 709
Merit: 500
Gridcoin Foundation
Question: I'm hashing with two R9-290 with the guiminer scrypt. The first one (connected with monitor) reaches 840 khs the second without connection to a monitor got only 660 khs. Is that normal?
I'm using the same guiminer settings for both GPU's. Installed catalyst and and SDK only before using the first card. Used to second card just today.
Activity: 130
If you have a transaction disappear into the ether with no confirmations how do you get it back?
While I was moving my wallet contents I lost two transactions. I found a forum tip that recommended salvagewallet but that didn't do the trick.
Suggestions?
Activity: 644
P2P The Planet!
Anyone know if theirs going to be any new services that accept gridcoin in the near future?

P2P The Planet!
ahh another bug to add to the long list.
Activity: 121

I'm trying to move my coins to a new wallet but I'm getting a "Transaction too large" error.
This is not the error related to the fee. I've left adequate coins for the fee and this error follows.
The amount in the transfer is 2800.

edit: If I lower my transaction amount to 2000 I still get the same error. Both come with the following "Transaction creation failed".
If I lower the transaction amount to 1000 it tells me the transaction is too large but I can send it if I pay a 2 GRC fee instead of the normal .001

edit2: At a coin value of 150 some transactions send, others are too big.
I guess that would fix my problem, but it won't let you keep your address since that is calculated from the private key and the transactions will always be tied to it.
Hi, Rob:

Just in case if it is possible, is there a way to keep my old GRC address with a new wallet of smaller size.
Or put it in another way is there a way to "trim" the wallet?

John

New Version Available:
1.1.5.4/65/7.71; Upgrade from RPC: Yes

* We fixed the German leaderboard factor problem (found today) (please upgrade and wait 1 1/2 hrs for the leaderboard to update; then verify).
* Due to the bloated wallet problem where the wallet grows daily when pool mining, and recent growth and efficiency, we switched our pool
mining system over to pay your pool mining rewards during your wallet hour (this should drastically reduce the transaction count and bring
stability back to the wallet)- if your wallet is larger than 1.5megs, send your coins to a new wallet and start over at your convenience.
If you are a pool miner, please upgrade to this version as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Grid

Is there a way to prevent the wallet size from increasing? I end up with my corruption when it's around 3.5 meg
So I bring out my 96k backup, and all is well... for a very short period of time. At least nothing is lost Smiley
P2P The Planet!
yeah i would like to see what hardware the top guys are running. I suspect large scale mining farms with above average cpu's.
legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

It's messy. That's my stat page, not rachalupa's. My BOINC stats go back from 2009 to the present, so the summary doesn't give any clue to my project mix at any given time. The only reason I'm (temporarily) in the team lead now is that BOINC carried over all my old stats when I joined Gridcoin. Rachalupa is earning about 25 times more points per day than I am (and I have two core i7s running BOINC/WCG 24/7), so if he/she has some point-earning advice for the rest of us it could make a huge difference to our team scores.

A quick attempt to find rachalupa stats online yields items like: http://radioactiveathome.org/boinc/show_user.php?userid=7068

(google "rachalupa boinc") - which may or may not be "our" rachalupa. Applying that user ID (7068) to the BOINC stat summary URL template suggests it may be someone else or that things may be, um, complicated:

http://boincstats.com/signature/-1/user/7068/sig.png

However, that link does identify one BOINC project with sky-high stats, namely "distrRTge", which is a rainbow table generation project - not my cup of tea.

Anyway, what I'm hoping is that one of the team members with sky-high daily BOINC point earnings - especially rachalupa - will give us some tips. I'm not trying to pry into anything sensitive, and I realize that there may be perceptions that we are competing as individuals even though we are also on a team. Delicate topics, but perhaps there's some good advice to be had for everyone. My own only trade secret is "start in 2009".      Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952
We are gonna need a lot of power to make it to the top 10.

Awesome.

The gridcoin team world rank is now: 7,749 out of 99,734. We are moving up fast.

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/detail/118094994/overview

let us target for top 10

Most of our daily credits come from two members (rachalupa and MaKr0). Are they here? Can they (anyone) provide tips on how to earn so many (legitimate) BOINC credits?

We may want to adjust our project mix if it's BOINC credits we're after.

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/user/list/0/0/118094994/0

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
We are gonna need a lot of power to make it to the top 10.

Awesome.

The gridcoin team world rank is now: 7,749 out of 99,734. We are moving up fast.

http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/team/detail/118094994/overview

let us target for top 10
Jump to: