Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S4 Setup [HD] - page 2. (Read 49341 times)

Activity: 514
Merit: 500
Hello All,

I have question, hope some one here can help me pls..

I recently purchased 3 X S4 Antminer. I was wondering what electricity configuration I need to setup to have all 3 X S4 antminer running.

I was thinking of building new circuit. i.e. •Three 40-Amp poles OR The 40-Amp 3 in. Triple-Pole Type BR Circuit Breaker.
OR
60 Amp 3 in. Triple-Pole Type BR Circuit Breaker

Each S4 takes/needs around 1400watts of power to keep it running and I have 3.

It will be highly appreciated for your response. BTW, I am in USA.
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
I believe the BeagleBone Black can be purchased off the shelf and the 2 hashing boards are unlikely to be worth any repair costs. Sidehack might be able to give you more information if you send him some pictures.

I Found the Beaglebone you had mentioned for about $50 which is quite reasonable on Digikey.  

I can see that two of the hash boards are non-salvageable as they have some odd sand-like substance on them and fault immediately.  The board with the blown IC seems that it had gotten power previously and looks repairable. I'll send some pics to Sidehack and seek his assistance.

Thanks again.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Thank you for the fantastic recommendation as I was very hesitant, but one unit is back to life Smiley
I'm glad to hear the trip was worth it.

Sooo, what could I do about the Beagle board and the 2 bad Processor boards in the other unit?  I'd really love to bring it to life if it isn't too costly.
I believe the BeagleBone Black can be purchased off the shelf and the 2 hashing boards are unlikely to be worth any repair costs. Sidehack might be able to give you more information if you send him some pictures.
Sooo. Here is the update!

Picked up both units with 2 additional power supplies, which was very nice.  I tested all 4 power supplies and they check out as good.  I then started looking over the first unit, and it indeed was a fault.  Odd thing was, power supply was still good.  So I continued to disconnect the minining hardware to test the BeagleBoard,  it checked out as no good Sad.

Second unit, displayed the same fault, but when I disconnected the Mining processor's, the Beagle Board booted up and showed life!  I plugged in each individual board to the power supply, lo-and behold, two of the boards are bad.  it looks as if one of the IC chips had burnt, I can give the IC# if needed.

I swapped the bad board for boards from the unit with a bad beagle board, as well as a fan.  One seemed to not spin up.
When I turned it on, the system came to life.  I brought up the info via INternet Explorer, and It is hashing on SLush's Pool at 1.99TH/s

Thank you for the fantastic recommendation as I was very hesitant, but one unit is back to life Smiley

Sooo, what could I do about the Beagle board and the 2 bad Processor boards in the other unit?  I'd really love to bring it to life if it isn't too costly.

Much appreciated Dogie.  
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Hello!  New to the forums.  I have a question if anyone can assist me.

I have someone who offered me two non-working Antminer S4's for $100.  It is about an hour and a half drive from me, so before I drive out there possibly wasting my time I want to see if this is even worth doing. Smiley

He states that they may need new power supply or the beagle board may need to have it's SD-card flashed, though he doesn't have time to troubleshoot.

Is this venture worth it?  What may I possibly have to replace, or anything I should be asking?  I know the information is vague, but I am hoping to gather more on it.

Thanks

Should it be worth it? Most probably, even if you can rescue just 1 PSU its worth ~$100 to other bitcoiners. Controller based problems are either fixable or Bitmain USA should be able to dig you up a replacement if its more complicated than just a BB replacement. Think of it this way: 2 hashing boards, unlikely both have failed. 1 PSU, quite difficult to fail and potential for RMA repair. 4 fans, high rate of failure but replaceable. 1 controller, RMA'able hopefully. 1 BB, off the shelf replacements.

If I were you I wouldn't try and debug when you get there, he may back out of the deal or ask for more money. Anything after that is up to you which is why there is a potential for profit. Have a sniff, you'll know if something smells burnt. Try and locate the source (discretely) and write that part off in your mind.
Hello!  New to the forums.  I have a question if anyone can assist me.

I have someone who offered me two non-working Antminer S4's for $100.  It is about an hour and a half drive from me, so before I drive out there possibly wasting my time I want to see if this is even worth doing. Smiley

He states that they may need new power supply or the beagle board may need to have it's SD-card flashed, though he doesn't have time to troubleshoot.

Is this venture worth it?  What may I possibly have to replace, or anything I should be asking?  I know the information is vague, but I am hoping to gather more on it.

Thanks
legendary
dogiecoin.com
If I was going to use a power over Ethernet kit to run this do I need to think about the 1400W PSU at all? Or would something like this be fine?

PoE has no impact on your PSU choice, that one is fine. There are some other ones that have 2/4 ports or wifi repeaters if you want to future proof a bit. I use PoE and replaced my old one (which died) literally just this week.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
If I was going to use a power over Ethernet kit to run this do I need to think about the 1400W PSU at all?

Or would something like this be fine?

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/tp-link-tp-link-powerline-10100-ethernet-adapter-kit-twin-pack-tl-pa211-kit/

Thanks!
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Great guide! Thanks!
So pumped right now! Doggie where can I get the slow fan firmware?
I don't know where his repository is but you could start the search from here or contact him.

Has anyone had a go at creating any DIY sound proofing for this unit?
You could attempt ducting front and back but the S4 doesn't have much thermal headroom and its not the easiest miner to do it on. If you want quiet then you'll have to use the firmware at some point.

What mining pools should I look at? Keen to explore some - I know I want to give CKs solo pool a whirl.
I used to always mine on BTCGuild long term, now on Antpool for the lower variance. Have a look around the Pools section to get started, I won't recommend anything specific. I would say to not dive into a solo pool with a single piece of hardware, there's a 90.6% ([1-[0.01652/25]]^150) chance that even without a difficulty rise and 100% uptime your S4 will never find a block. Put in more conceivable numbers and its 95%+. If you don't find a block on a solo pool you get zero.

Thanks Doggie! yeah I'm going to give up on solo for long term might just try it to see if I'm lucky for a few days.

My unit should arrive in two or three days so trying to figure out all the software side of mining now.

I'm definitely planning to upgrade the firmware for the noise reduction
legendary
dogiecoin.com
So pumped right now! Doggie where can I get the slow fan firmware?
I don't know where his repository is but you could start the search from here or contact him.

You could attempt ducting front and back but the S4 doesn't have much thermal headroom and its not the easiest miner to do it on. If you want quiet then you'll have to use the firmware at some point.

What mining pools should I look at? Keen to explore some - I know I want to give CKs solo pool a whirl.
I used to always mine on BTCGuild long term, now on Antpool for the lower variance. Have a look around the Pools section to get started, I won't recommend anything specific. I would say to not dive into a solo pool with a single piece of hardware, there's a 90.6% ([1-[0.01652/25]]^150) chance that even without a difficulty rise and 100% uptime your S4 will never find a block. Put in more conceivable numbers and its 95%+. If you don't find a block on a solo pool you get zero.
Just brought one! and in Australia! So pumped right now!

Doggie where can I get the slow fan firmware? Thanks.

legendary
dogiecoin.com
So I am going to have to unscrew them a bit right?

Whatever feels right to you
Activity: 2
I thought OLD productions of AS5 were conductive. But not anymore, and I double checked with an ohmeter just in case.

Yes I will be getting the new fan shortly.

So I am going to have to unscrew them a bit right?
legendary
dogiecoin.com
What Thermal compound do the ASICs have on them originally?
No idea

how tight the screws be on the heatsinks?
They're spring screws so until the thread stops the screw. The spring will apply the actual force.

Also, I used AS5 for the repasting, would you guys recommend other paste?
A non conductive paste. There are more exposed board components that would suffer should the AS5 be squeezed out.

(one of the stock fans is starting to fail unfortunately.)
Remove the dead fan, it will restrict flow.
Activity: 2
Hello all, new to the forum!

Couple of questions regarding the S4. What Thermal compound do the ASICs have on them originally?

I just did the repasting. Now, I looked for a good while on the site and google and found nothing regarding how tight the screws be on the heatsinks?

I did what I always do with CPUs and GPUs: screw on till it locks (locks easily that is) and then tighten them just a little bit more, like an eigth of a turn. Is this how it should be done?

Also, I used AS5 for the repasting, would you guys recommend other paste? I am getting the same temps as I had before I took the old paste off. about 53-56 (one of the stock fans is starting to fail unfortunately.) I do have to wait till AS5 settles in a few days, so hopefully they will go down a bit.

Second, after doing the repaste I got a one or two X on the miner status page about 5 or 7 minutes in mining, however after shutting off the psu for 5 minutes and reconnecting it went away, since I wasnt sure if the job was done incorrectly or i hadn't tightened the screws enough(or maybe too much,) I lifted the heatsinks again and made sure they had enough paste and little bit more just be sure. And now it has been 30 minutes and no X anywhere.
 Has this happened to someone?

Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
Is there any way to lower the fan speed further than with the smit's slow fan firmware? It won't go under 2520RPM even though its cold and its the only thing making noise in my apartment now.

The S5's are completely silent now.
S4s will do okay with their front fans swapped out but if you're saying temps are really good then you could remove the front fans altogether. I wouldn't recommend unplugging them and leaving them in the case as they're restrictive by design. In terms of noise levels it won't reduce it much but it'll at least save you 30W. Besides that you can't get them slower without firmware as they're modified by PWM signals and not voltage.

I see. Well its already running with only 3 fans, and i'm really interested in getting them to run at 1000 to 2000 RPM. The temps at the moment are at 40c and RPM is 2520. I already have the smit's firmware, does this allow to set a variable somewhere to get it lower than its set minimum?

Any method of making these fans quiet would be nice, short of swapping out the fans, since i would rather not buy more hardware for this S4.

If there is no known way to do this, then thanks anyways for your replies dogie!

Even if you are trying for a more quiet miner.  I would put a replacement fan.  They are designed in a push/pull.    

S4's are not one I would recommend for apartment use if your looking for quiet as a general rule.

Its actually cooler than the S5's for the same noise. But i hit a wall now with the S4 not wanting to go lower.

Is there any way to lower the fan speed further than with the smit's slow fan firmware? It won't go under 2520RPM even though its cold and its the only thing making noise in my apartment now.

S4s will do okay with their front fans swapped out but if you're saying temps are really good then you could remove the front fans altogether. I wouldn't recommend unplugging them and leaving them in the case as they're restrictive by design. In terms of noise levels it won't reduce it much but it'll at least save you 30W. Besides that you can't get them slower without firmware as they're modified by PWM signals and not voltage.

I see. Well its already running with only 3 fans, and i'm really interested in getting them to run at 1000 to 2000 RPM. The temps at the moment are at 40c and RPM is 2520. I already have the smit's firmware, does this allow to set a variable somewhere to get it lower than its set minimum?

Any method of making these fans quiet would be nice, short of swapping out the fans, since i would rather not buy more hardware for this S4. If there is no known way to do this, then thanks anyways for your replies dogie!

I am unsure what Smit's firmware does or any additional variables, why don't you flash the slow fan firmware? Have you got any weaker fans you could test with?

That is the slow fan firmware. It just won't go lower than 2520. Much better than the 4k it used to go at, but i still want it to go lower. There is no temp reason to not go lower so its the bottom limit smit set. I'd like to set it lower.

He most likely didn't foresee someone feeding 0-10c air directly into the miner. Any slower at 20-30c ambient would melt the thing so it must of not been necessary to let it go under 2520-3000 which seem to be the slow fan firmware's range.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

Any method of making these fans quiet would be nice, short of swapping out the fans, since i would rather not buy more hardware for this S4. If there is no known way to do this, then thanks anyways for your replies dogie!

I am unsure what Smit's firmware does or any additional variables, why don't you flash the slow fan firmware? Have you got any weaker fans you could test with?
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

Any method of making these fans quiet would be nice, short of swapping out the fans, since i would rather not buy more hardware for this S4.

If there is no known way to do this, then thanks anyways for your replies dogie!

Even if you are trying for a more quiet miner.  I would put a replacement fan.  They are designed in a push/pull.   

S4's are not one I would recommend for apartment use if your looking for quiet as a general rule.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

Pages:
Jump to: