Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S4 Setup [HD] - page 5. (Read 49340 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
FUN > ROI
Well, at the very least the 'BTC Guild' recommendation is outdated - they're shutting down tomorrow.  Plenty of other pools where you can set the minimum difficulty, though.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
***There is currently a firmware issue that prevents the S4 achieving its full hash rate on pools with variable difficulty.
Until a new firmware is issued, its recommended that you use BTCGuild or GHash IO with 2048 difficulty manually set***

Is this still the case? Or is there a newer firmware available now without this issue?

I am going to take a look at one of my S4's later today that runs for 5-10min and drops to about 200GH/s - 20GH/s and (presumably) its not an overheating issue (from info reported on the config page) it's not a power issue (I have another S4 that runs just fine and I shut it off and tried this one in its place) and no XXX's reported for the boards themselves. Also potentially relevant I'm currently mining on Eligius.

Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
My S4 has stopped working.  The LCD reads 0GHS, I can get into the IP and the boards look good, and the pools say they're alive but no speed. And when I turn it on, the bootup screen comes on where it says Antminer -- and shows the IP, but then the screen goes blank, the fans speed up, and it reboots several times, before it gets to the the screen where it shows its not hashing.

Any ideas?

What does the PSU seem to be doing?  Does it show any issues from it's indicator leds?

Also you might check connections - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203361315-Board-Diagnostics  Never hurts to make sure connections are snug.

Well finally got some time to open it up, unseating the sd card and reinserting it, fixed the problem

And it's clocking in at 2.3 TH for some reason.. I'll take it Smiley
Thanks

Glad to hear it's working again!   And it must be turned up on it's freq to OC, but yes in proper conditions they can reach that on speed.  Just with it being summer don't let it get to hot Smiley.

Happy Mining!
Activity: 134
Merit: 100
My S4 has stopped working.  The LCD reads 0GHS, I can get into the IP and the boards look good, and the pools say they're alive but no speed. And when I turn it on, the bootup screen comes on where it says Antminer -- and shows the IP, but then the screen goes blank, the fans speed up, and it reboots several times, before it gets to the the screen where it shows its not hashing.

Any ideas?

What does the PSU seem to be doing?  Does it show any issues from it's indicator leds?

Also you might check connections - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203361315-Board-Diagnostics  Never hurts to make sure connections are snug.

Well finally got some time to open it up, unseating the sd card and reinserting it, fixed the problem

And it's clocking in at 2.3 TH for some reason.. I'll take it Smiley
Thanks
legendary
My S4 has stopped working.  The LCD reads 0GHS, I can get into the IP and the boards look good, and the pools say they're alive but no speed. And when I turn it on, the bootup screen comes on where it says Antminer -- and shows the IP, but then the screen goes blank, the fans speed up, and it reboots several times, before it gets to the the screen where it shows its not hashing.

Any ideas?

What does the PSU seem to be doing?  Does it show any issues from it's indicator leds?

Also you might check connections - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203361315-Board-Diagnostics  Never hurts to make sure connections are snug.

Hi Thanks for the advice

Am sending the PSU back for repair/replacement.  Seems to be the issue

Not a problem!  Let us know how it all works out after.

Best of luck
Activity: 47
My S4 has stopped working.  The LCD reads 0GHS, I can get into the IP and the boards look good, and the pools say they're alive but no speed. And when I turn it on, the bootup screen comes on where it says Antminer -- and shows the IP, but then the screen goes blank, the fans speed up, and it reboots several times, before it gets to the the screen where it shows its not hashing.

Any ideas?

What does the PSU seem to be doing?  Does it show any issues from it's indicator leds?

Also you might check connections - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203361315-Board-Diagnostics  Never hurts to make sure connections are snug.

Hi Thanks for the advice

Am sending the PSU back for repair/replacement.  Seems to be the issue
legendary

Any ideas?

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

Any ideas?
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Not in warranty as far as I know - where can I buy  a new PSU - direct from them?

Yes, its on Bitmaintech.com. Do check that you have the PCI-E version of S4 though, as the PSU is PCI-E based and NOT spade connector based like many S4s out there.

If it is the other type of connector it's worth throwing a ticket or email t words Bitmain Support.   Ask if they have a replacement PSU you can buy.   If they do that will save you from some modding.

Here is one way to reach them: https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Hi thanks for the info

Am in communication with them right now - asked me to send the unit back to Denver - but am in the UK - maybe cheaper to buy new one - will see

That's unlikely Tongue You should be able to send it for ~£20. https://www.parcel2go.com/quotes?col=219&dest=217&p=1~3|20|30|20#/results
Not in warranty as far as I know - where can I buy  a new PSU - direct from them?

Yes, its on Bitmaintech.com. Do check that you have the PCI-E version of S4 though, as the PSU is PCI-E based and NOT spade connector based like many S4s out there.

If it is the other type of connector it's worth throwing a ticket or email t words Bitmain Support.   Ask if they have a replacement PSU you can buy.   If they do that will save you from some modding.

Hi thanks for the info

Am in communication with them right now - asked me to send the unit back to Denver - but am in the UK - maybe cheaper to buy new one - will see
legendary

legendary
dogiecoin.com

legendary
dogiecoin.com
Thank you for your suggestions. I replaced the front fans with SP120 PWM fans, but the miner is still loud as hell.
Is there a chance to replace the fans on the back as well? Are there suggestions for more quiet fans?

Not really, no. Its not a great design for cooling efficiency and so has to rely on high airflow to get the job done. S4s do have some headroom but not enough to have a significant impact.

Hi All Have been running my S4 at 2T/H happily since March. Just yesterday it shut down and will not restart - just get the flashing red light at the back indicating a fault and amber light on. Was not aware of it operating above 60deg.Any suggestions where to start when I open it up as I assume I will have to do. thanks
PSU is dead, nothing we can do. RMA it if its still in the 3 month warranty by contacting bitmain.zendesk.com or replace it yourself.
Hi All

Have been running my S4 at 2T/H happily since March.

Just yesterday it shut down and will not restart - just get the flashing red light at the back indicating a fault and amber light on.

Was not aware of it operating above 60deg.

Any suggestions where to start when I open it up as I assume I will have to do.

thanks
legendary
Activity: 1405
Merit: 1001
Thank you for your suggestions. I replaced the front fans with SP120 PWM fans, but the miner is still loud as hell.
Is there a chance to replace the fans on the back as well? Are there suggestions for more quiet fans?
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Unfortunately one of my S4 fans (one at the back) died recently. Can you recommend a replacement fan?

If you can't get ahold of the server-esque fans a simple Corsair SP120 works fine as long as put it on the front. The rear fans do the majority of the work.
legendary
Unfortunately one of my S4 fans (one at the back) died recently. Can you recommend a replacement fan?

Here is the best article as far as replacement fans - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204199879-Antminer-S4-fan-specification-and-possible-replacement-fans

legendary
Activity: 1405
Merit: 1001
Pages:
Jump to: