Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S4 Setup [HD] - page 3. (Read 49341 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Thanks!  Yes, I forgot that it took a few seconds to turn on.  I successfully turned it off for a about 8 hours so I could examine the power cord to make sure it was the correct one because it was getting very warm.  It was the right one.  Is that normal for it to get hot while operating - the cord?  I can still touch it, but it doesn't feel right.  Could this be an issue with the amount of power the outlet is providing or is it possible the cord is too old and I need a new one?  Thanks!

Getting warm is not really a great thing for a electrical cable.  Are you sure it is original cord?

And can you define "very warm" that is not something good if it's as hot as I think your saying.   Yes it could be the amount of watts of a S4 if cable is not right gauge. So check cable and see if it is original.  And even if it is if getting "very warm" might be worth getting a new better gauge wire.

Thanks.  It sounds like it is too hot to be good.  So you think it has more to do with the cord than the wall if the S4 has been running just fine at full hash rate for a 5 days now? What kind of power cable would you recommend for the S4 if I need a replacement?
Make sure you're running the correct AWG mains power cable. If its getting anything you'd consider "hot" then you've not got a thick enough cable.

Is there any way to lower the fan speed further than with the smit's slow fan firmware? It won't go under 2520RPM even though its cold and its the only thing making noise in my apartment now.

The S5's are completely silent now.
S4s will do okay with their front fans swapped out but if you're saying temps are really good then you could remove the front fans altogether. I wouldn't recommend unplugging them and leaving them in the case as they're restrictive by design. In terms of noise levels it won't reduce it much but it'll at least save you 30W. Besides that you can't get them slower without firmware as they're modified by PWM signals and not voltage.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
Is there any way to lower the fan speed further than with the smit's slow fan firmware? It won't go under 2520RPM even though its cold and its the only thing making noise in my apartment now.

The S5's are completely silent now.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Thanks!  Yes, I forgot that it took a few seconds to turn on.  I successfully turned it off for a about 8 hours so I could examine the power cord to make sure it was the correct one because it was getting very warm.  It was the right one.  Is that normal for it to get hot while operating - the cord?  I can still touch it, but it doesn't feel right.  Could this be an issue with the amount of power the outlet is providing or is it possible the cord is too old and I need a new one?  Thanks!

Getting warm is not really a great thing for a electrical cable.  Are you sure it is original cord?

And can you define "very warm" that is not something good if it's as hot as I think your saying.   Yes it could be the amount of watts of a S4 if cable is not right gauge. So check cable and see if it is original.  And even if it is if getting "very warm" might be worth getting a new better gauge wire.

Thanks.  It sounds like it is too hot to be good.  So you think it has more to do with the cord than the wall if the S4 has been running just fine at full hash rate for a 5 days now? What kind of power cable would you recommend for the S4 if I need a replacement?

The problem is I cannot see or really help with wall.  Could crap wire be a problem and cause issue... yes.  Your talking 1400 watts if you had cheap wire in wall... yes not good.

Only way you will know is if you are good with electricity and can look at wire and see if your lucky it is not to hard to tell guage.  Unlucky you will have a harder time.  Other option is call an electrician for a quote and ask them. Be careful as some electricians are great others will charge way to much. 

One of the electricians I wanted to put in 240 he wanted around 2k for around less than 100 dollars in parts.   Luckily I live on a farm with no zoning on it so I was able to do it myself and save almost 2 grand compared to the "bad" quote.
Activity: 546
Merit: 501
Thanks!  Yes, I forgot that it took a few seconds to turn on.  I successfully turned it off for a about 8 hours so I could examine the power cord to make sure it was the correct one because it was getting very warm.  It was the right one.  Is that normal for it to get hot while operating - the cord?  I can still touch it, but it doesn't feel right.  Could this be an issue with the amount of power the outlet is providing or is it possible the cord is too old and I need a new one?  Thanks!

Getting warm is not really a great thing for a electrical cable.  Are you sure it is original cord?

And can you define "very warm" that is not something good if it's as hot as I think your saying.   Yes it could be the amount of watts of a S4 if cable is not right gauge. So check cable and see if it is original.  And even if it is if getting "very warm" might be worth getting a new better gauge wire.

Thanks.  It sounds like it is too hot to be good.  So you think it has more to do with the cord than the wall if the S4 has been running just fine at full hash rate for a 5 days now? What kind of power cable would you recommend for the S4 if I need a replacement?
legendary

And can you define "very warm" that is not something good if it's as hot as I think your saying.   Yes it could be the amount of watts of a S4 if cable is not right gauge. So check cable and see if it is original.  And even if it is if getting "very warm" might be worth getting a new better gauge wire.
Thanks!  Yes, I forgot that it took a few seconds to turn on.  I successfully turned it off for a about 8 hours so I could examine the power cord to make sure it was the correct one because it was getting very warm.  It was the right one.  Is that normal for it to get hot while operating - the cord?  I can still touch it, but it doesn't feel right.  Could this be an issue with the amount of power the outlet is providing or is it possible the cord is too old and I need a new one?  Thanks!
legendary
Ok I will wait then. I've also got this question. I'd like to use this miner part of the time. Does anyone know if it's safe to turn on and off the miner using the small button on the back next to the power supply? (By holding down the button for 3sec). I don't want to slowly wreck this machine but there's also no way that I can sleep with it on.

Thanks!

I can't find an answer to this question.  I am also trying to figure out how to safely turn off my new S4.  Can someone help me?  Thanks!

Yes PSU button is fine, no problems.

Thank you.  So I just press it for 3 seconds?  Or should I just press it normally like I would to turn it on?

Yes just hold it a few seconds.  It is not a instant button.  So on or off a few seconds.

Let us know but that should do the trick.
Ok I will wait then. I've also got this question. I'd like to use this miner part of the time. Does anyone know if it's safe to turn on and off the miner using the small button on the back next to the power supply? (By holding down the button for 3sec). I don't want to slowly wreck this machine but there's also no way that I can sleep with it on.

Thanks!

I can't find an answer to this question.  I am also trying to figure out how to safely turn off my new S4.  Can someone help me?  Thanks!

Thank you.  So I just press it for 3 seconds?  Or should I just press it normally like I would to turn it on?
legendary
dogiecoin.com

Thanks!

Thanks!

legendary
dogiecoin.com
Could anyone help me locate which chain number 3 is of the four boards on the s4? Is it upper or lower and is it near the power supply?

much thanks in advance :-)

See here for the port labellings on the controller board. Its better to trace the data cables from there then us give you the "should be this one" and it be wrong if they've reversed some cables.

Thanks Dogie.

Perfect!
Nice info page.

MM

No problem, good luck.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020
★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★
Could anyone help me locate which chain number 3 is of the four boards on the s4? Is it upper or lower and is it near the power supply?

See here for the port labellings on the controller board. Its better to trace the data cables from there then us give you the "should be this one" and it be wrong if they've reversed some cables.

Thanks Dogie.

Perfect!
Nice info page.

MM
legendary
dogiecoin.com

legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020
★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

legendary
I have a unit on hand now. What is the latest firmware that allow voltage control? I'd want to try that on Kanopool. See if i can get good hashrate and good efficiency.

I don't know the exact one but I believe I had factory default on all of my S4's and had it.  It is the early one's that had it.  They took it out on later firmwares.

I recently got rid of my S4's so can't tell like I would have been able to do.
legendary
I have a unit on hand now. What is the latest firmware that allow voltage control? I'd want to try that on Kanopool. See if i can get good hashrate and good efficiency.
legendary
Static pressure for Scythe fan:

I know the SP120 did NOT move enough air to cool an S5 but that miner is not enclosed like the S4. My recommendation of the Scythe is purely from my tests on an S5 and from having owned a few S4's.

I see. Thanks for the image. If that is accurate, it would explain the huge difference in cooling performance. It would see a bit expensive to lose 10dB, but if the cooling performance is also better, then maybe it will not run at full speed either.

Hmm. I guess i will need to obtain a sample to toy around. I do also need to think of my S5 as well.

I would just go with one of the recommended ones: https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204199879-Antminer-S4-fan-specification-and-possible-replacement-fans

I have used Delta's and Sanyo.   But they are really the tried and true fans that work.   No they are not quiet but they move air.

That's nice but they have to do it quieter than stocks fans otherwise i can just leave them running or run the stock fan at lower speed. Hmm. It's hard to calculate cooling/dB ratio. Several users told me the fan that did the best cooling vs noise for them was the Kaze, where it was loud but not a high pitch.

Guess i'll have to try stuff myself.
legendary

I know the SP120 did NOT move enough air to cool an S5 but that miner is not enclosed like the S4. My recommendation of the Scythe is purely from my tests on an S5 and from having owned a few S4's.

I see. Thanks for the image. If that is accurate, it would explain the huge difference in cooling performance. It would see a bit expensive to lose 10dB, but if the cooling performance is also better, then maybe it will not run at full speed either.

Hmm. I guess i will need to obtain a sample to toy around. I do also need to think of my S5 as well.

I would just go with one of the recommended ones: https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204199879-Antminer-S4-fan-specification-and-possible-replacement-fans

I have used Delta's and Sanyo.   But they are really the tried and true fans that work.   No they are not quiet but they move air.
legendary

Activity: 12
Merit: 0
http://www.scythe-eu.com/uploads/pics/Scythe-Static-Pressure-Comparison_01.jpg

Pages:
Jump to: