Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive RockMiner R-Box Setup [HD] - page 3. (Read 59431 times)

Activity: 179
Merit: 100
Using a 600W 12v 50A power supply to run 7 R-box. Will the machine get burnt ?

The power consumption is fine, only ~230W.

Dogie, do you know how many AMPS the R-Boxes use?

I want to get a cheap(ish) ATX PSU for compactness to run 5 currently with scalability up to 7 or 8 (max)
In terms of power I only need a 550W but I'm concerned about the amperage
I'll obviously be running on the 12V rail using the 6pin PCIE connectors.
Cheapo PSU's are only rated to 16A. Is this enough or will I need at least a 30A

Cheers

In mining, power rating means nothing if the amperage doesn't match up. And tbh if the amperage doesn't match up, don't buy it because it WILL prematurely die. It takes a very strong PSU to run 24/7 like we want for mining.

An R-Box is strictly only 3.5-4A or so each, give them some headroom though.

Yeah I allowed 5A for each and bought an Antec PSU 550w rated at 40A on the 12V Rail. Cool and quiet all around now.
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
superking123,

Tried that and it didn't work either.
Took it over to a friends house, and it didn't work still.

System see the blade, but not the miner details if that makes any sense.

I had an issue with one of mine where it would power on, the fans would spin and the red ligth would come on.
If you did an lsusb - if would show as attached device
but no matter what software you used it wouldn't mine
I just RMA'd it and got a replacement
Maybe you need to too?
Ive got a flakey one also, somthing wrong with the USB port.
Ive requested a RMA, but it's been a week and a half, with no reply.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Yup. It was a DOA miner.
Contacted Jones Gear, and they sent a replacement along with a pre-paid return label.

Have the new one working great with MinePeon & BFGminer 4.3.0 on a RPi B
Using a 12v 6A power supply.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com

I want to get a cheap(ish) ATX PSU for compactness to run 5 currently with scalability up to 7 or 8 (max)
Cheapo PSU's are only rated to 16A. Is this enough or will I need at least a 30A

Cheers

In mining, power rating means nothing if the amperage doesn't match up. And tbh if the amperage doesn't match up, don't buy it because it WILL prematurely die. It takes a very strong PSU to run 24/7 like we want for mining.

An R-Box is strictly only 3.5-4A or so each, give them some headroom though.

Cheers
legendary
Activity: 1109
Merit: 1000
superking123,

I had an issue with one of mine where it would power on, the fans would spin and the red ligth would come on.
Maybe you need to too?
Ive got a flakey one also, somthing wrong with the USB port.
Ive requested a RMA, but it's been a week and a half, with no reply.
superking123,

Maybe you need to too?
legendary
dogiecoin.com
superking123,

Sounds like a dead R-Box.
superking123,

legendary

I've got 3 working off a USB 3.0 hub along with a Gridseed on Windows 8.1 with the Zadigs - no setup work, just plug n' mine.  If they're not working, it might be a USB issue (as mentioned).

Post what you hear from the vendor, should be helpful for everyone.
Ive been keeping my scrypt rigs seperate from my sha rigs, never tried running both on the same host.
Anyhow, I seem to have the best luck with the Raspberry PI and the Rockminer. However, im still waiting to hear back on the RMA for the bad unit.
It's very flakey, no matter which host I attach it to, it either fails to show-up at the OS layer or runs for a few minutes then disappears.
Activity: 938
Merit: 502
Tried to get 2x rockminers working at the same time, just doesn't seem possible.
Ive tried Windows 7, Windows XP, Raspberry PI.
Both miners work fine individaully, and both work at the same time on different machines.
However, I cannot get both to run at the same time on the same machine.
Ive got no ideas on how to proceed with this configuration any further.
Suggestions?

Maybe you need to wait quite awhile for technical question.. lol because up till now, mine has no answer too.

This means that it missed your last task and needs to resend it. Perhaps ckkolivas can comment on it. I know that bfgminer encountered a problem like this a month ago and supposedly fixed it so you could try changing to bfgminer if all else fails. See link here Luke talks about it:

https://gitorious.org/bitcoin/bfgminer/commit/09c3f36c71e8977fa7817ee3d6aa1e6037bc149f

I am wondering why it would do something like this. What kind of hub are you using? Is it USB 3.0? That could be interferring with communication also, could you please try this version of cgminer:

I have found it a lot more stable than the new fork for some unknown reason:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fkkrvgyb54yi3b7/rbox_cgminer.rar

EDIT: I have also posted your problem on the main cgminer thread here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/official-cgminer-mining-software-thread-for-linuxwinosxmipsarmr-pi-4110-28402
Further testing leads me to believe one of the miners is actually having USB problems.
When I ran on Raspberry PI, I hooked both miners up, but a 'lsusb' command only showed one miner present at the OS layer. When I disconnected that miner, the other miner then showed up. In my case, im not using a external hub, but plugged both miners directly into USB 2.0 ports on the Windows and RPI machines. Since im getting the same behavior on Windows and Linux, im pretty sure the problem is somewhere in the USB connector or device on the second miner.
I contacted the vendor and requested an RMA, and once I have a new unit, ill re-test.
This could be a voltage-level issue or something which prevents the second miner from being recognized if there is another USB device on the bus.

I've got 3 working off a USB 3.0 hub along with a Gridseed on Windows 8.1 with the Zadigs - no setup work, just plug n' mine.  If they're not working, it might be a USB issue (as mentioned).

Post what you hear from the vendor, should be helpful for everyone.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
Here is the screenshot. it is still increasing as i am posting now

This looks normal to me. R-BOX sometimes loses jobs, so BFGMiner has to resend them.
Notice your share difficulty is 1.02k, so every share is worth 1024 "difficulty 1 shares".
As long as your third hashrate (which should approximate what the pool sees) is accurate, you're good.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Tried to get 2x rockminers working at the same time, just doesn't seem possible.
Both miners work fine individaully, and both work at the same time on different machines.
Suggestions?

Maybe you need to wait quite awhile for technical question.. lol because up till now, mine has no answer too.

Calm down, its been 18 hours since you asked. Your HW error is <1%, there is no problem there.
legendary
Suggestions?

This means that it missed your last task and needs to resend it. Perhaps ckkolivas can comment on it. I know that bfgminer encountered a problem like this a month ago and supposedly fixed it so you could try changing to bfgminer if all else fails. See link here Luke talks about it:

https://gitorious.org/bitcoin/bfgminer/commit/09c3f36c71e8977fa7817ee3d6aa1e6037bc149f

I am wondering why it would do something like this. What kind of hub are you using? Is it USB 3.0? That could be interferring with communication also, could you please try this version of cgminer:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/official-cgminer-mining-software-thread-for-linuxwinosxmipsarmr-pi-4110-28402
Further testing leads me to believe one of the miners is actually having USB problems.
When I ran on Raspberry PI, I hooked both miners up, but a 'lsusb' command only showed one miner present at the OS layer. When I disconnected that miner, the other miner then showed up. In my case, im not using a external hub, but plugged both miners directly into USB 2.0 ports on the Windows and RPI machines. Since im getting the same behavior on Windows and Linux, im pretty sure the problem is somewhere in the USB connector or device on the second miner.
I contacted the vendor and requested an RMA, and once I have a new unit, ill re-test.
This could be a voltage-level issue or something which prevents the second miner from being recognized if there is another USB device on the bus.
legendary
Activity: 1775
Merit: 1032
Value will be measured in sats
Suggestions?

Activity: 798
Merit: 250
Suggestions?

legendary
Suggestions?
I downloaded the Rpi image from Rockminer (both 0.3.1 & 1.3.0), but neither of them sees the R-Box.

The fan is going, and a red LED is on the miner, but it's not seen.

Supposedly this image has everything you need ypo run the R-BOX.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I've already tried 2 different USB cable, a 1A & 2.1A PS on the RPi, the 12V supply for the R-BOX is a 12v 6A.

Thanks,
David

Try a native setup without a prebuilt image - just use the factory raspain image (you don't get a web gui though)

Hi all.
Just wanted to share my experience with the Rockminer R-Box on Raspberry pi.
I didn't realise there were any guides so I just sort of winged it, and I guess you can too.
I have 2 running at the moment on a powered USB hub at 290MHz and getting a combined of 71GHS
Raspberry Pi Model B

(sorry for poor formatting, this is just a quick explanation)
My steps:
Install Raspian from the Raspberry Pi website (in fact I used NOOBS to install it to a 32gb micro-SD with an SD card adapter)
SSH in from my windows box
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev libusb-1.0-0 libcurl4-openssl-dev libncurses5-dev libudev-dev (to get the dependencies)
sudo wget http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/cgminer-4.4.2.tar.bz2
sudo tar xvf cgminer-4.4.2.tar.bz2
(rename to cgminer) sudo mv cgminer-4.4.2 cgminer
cd cgminer
./configure --enable-icarus (let it churn and burn for like 15 minutes)
make

Now it's all working with CLI (no webserver or anything, cause I don't like it)

Now I just run it with

screen sudo ./cgminer -o blablah -u blah -p blah --rock-freq 290

The screen command just lets it run in the background even when you close the the SSH session.

I also just made a little shell script that runs on boot, reboot the pi and you're good to go.

Hope that helps anyone who's been struggling.

1GvWrJSLNafra26jDwpScY5bqYcQ6BDhPW --- Tips always gratefully accepted Cheesy
I downloaded the Rpi image from Rockminer (both 0.3.1 & 1.3.0), but neither of them sees the R-Box.

The fan is going, and a red LED is on the miner, but it's not seen.

Supposedly this image has everything you need ypo run the R-BOX.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I've already tried 2 different USB cable, a 1A & 2.1A PS on the RPi, the 12V supply for the R-BOX is a 12v 6A.

Thanks,
David
Activity: 798
Merit: 250
Anyone can solve my issue ? tried google but no avail. i am running 7 R-box on 1 cpu. the HW error rate is too high
legendary
Anyone know of a prebuilt RPI image? I have a few I got with other equipment but never set one up from scratch.
Is it somthing a layman can do or do I need to fine a pre-built image?
PS, reason im asking is that I cannot get both my R-Box miners to run on the same Windows host at the same time. They both work fine independently, and they both work when on different machines, but when I plug them both into the same windows box, I on'y get one working.

You can clone your current SD card with a windows PC. Make an image of it using SD imager software, then burn that image to a 2nd SD card.
The image I have on the existing SD card is Hashra Lunar Lander. It's for a Scrypt ASIC rig. I don't know any login for this image, it just has a web-GUI. It doesn't recognize the R-Box though, I already tried plugging it in, so it needs something extra.
I was hoping there was a pre-built image I could burn to my SD card (kinda like the Hashra image is pre-built and pre-configured).
Pages:
Jump to: