Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive RockMiner R-Box Setup [HD] - page 6. (Read 59431 times)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0
bfgminer is supporting rbox already?
Not that I know of. Was a stray line, sorry.

Oh, no!

I really dont want to use WinUSB.  I'm successfully running about 60 other devices without WinUSB, using native drivers like STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port or Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge.  I dont want to risk my whole setup for this one R-Box...  no options besides WinUSB?

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Thanks for that. So just download the cgminer (currently version 4.4.1) from that link and it will work straight away with the R-Box?

Also, question re: Zadig, the link you provided in first post does not seem to have latest zadig version, does that matter or are they all the same pretty much ? The seller where I pre-ordered my R-boxes provides link to newer zadig. Which one should I get?
Newest you can find. Newest cgminer and newest Zadig.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
Thanks for that. So just download the cgminer (currently version 4.4.1) from that link and it will work straight away with the R-Box?

Also, question re: Zadig, the link you provided in first post does not seem to have latest zadig version, does that matter or are they all the same pretty much ? The seller where I pre-ordered my R-boxes provides link to newer zadig. Which one should I get?
legendary
dogiecoin.com
I was reading the guide how to setup Rockminer R-Box on the site where I ordered mine from and noticed they are recommending this :

cgminer.exe --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --rmu-freq 290

Questions :

1. what is the icarus options for ?

2. I thought with the cgminer app, setting the frequency on the Rbox is achieved with --rock-freq 290 and not with --rmu-freq 290

cheers

can someone reply to my questions please? thanks

Its rock-freq 290 on cgminer. They're using an older, custom version of cgminer which hijacks an old icarus driver to try and do what they want. Use the instructions as in my OP and you'll bypass all of this. (and then add your --rock-freq 290 on.)
I was reading the guide how to setup Rockminer R-Box on the site where I ordered mine from and noticed they are recommending this :

Questions :

2. I thought with the cgminer app, setting the frequency on the Rbox is achieved with --rock-freq 290 and not with --rmu-freq 290

cheers

can someone reply to my questions please? thanks
Activity: 148
Merit: 100
SelfPay - ICO PRE SALE - huge Profit !
I can not get BFGminer 4.4.0 to see my rockminer r-box trying to run it on the same system as a fury. I have the fury working in it's miner, with the fury disconnected cgminer runs the rbox just fine, with the fury connected that cgminer starts complaining about a device it cant access and craps up. I cant use CGminer for the fury and BFGMiner for the rbox because it wont detect it, the rbox has been tried both with normal and zadig drivers.

From my own experience, the R-Boxes are temperamental little critters that don't like to play along with other devices. I could never get mine to work in Windows, Zadiq drivers or not, and just ended up having to set up a Raspberry Pi for them and even then, I have to pray there are no power spikes because if the thing is forced to reboot I'll likely spend the next 15 to 30 minutes shifting the 4 R-Boxes that I have around the USB hub until the Raspberry Pi is finally able to see all 4 of them and they work fine. I hate those things...
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024
Thanks for the in-depth guise! I'll be receiving a R-Box in the next week or so, so I'll definitely be keeping my eyes on this thread. Also, I assume it wouldn't affect anything by having a non-12V power supply, correct? I'm quite confident it would work perfectly fine but figured I'd double check with you guys. I'd be using a 19V 65W laptop power brick to power the unit.

12V ONLY, its like trying to run your car on liquid cat otherwise.
Ok thanks. I'll be sure to grab a 12V power brick instead then, probably just a 65W unit.
Activity: 213
Merit: 100
I can not get BFGminer 4.4.0 to see my rockminer r-box trying to run it on the same system as a fury. I have the fury working in it's miner, with the fury disconnected cgminer runs the rbox just fine, with the fury connected that cgminer starts complaining about a device it cant access and craps up. I cant use CGminer for the fury and BFGMiner for the rbox because it wont detect it, the rbox has been tried both with normal and zadig drivers.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Thanks for the in-depth guise! I'll be receiving a R-Box in the next week or so, so I'll definitely be keeping my eyes on this thread. Also, I assume it wouldn't affect anything by having a non-12V power supply, correct? I'm quite confident it would work perfectly fine but figured I'd double check with you guys. I'd be using a 19V 65W laptop power brick to power the unit.

12V ONLY, its like trying to run your car on liquid cat otherwise.
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000
I am using the cgminer 4.3.3 (can't get bfgminer to work for nothing).

Pool mining works fine but when I try to solo mine any coin I get the "waiting for pool" then it just goes to a solid black box and nothing.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong?
Solo mining with cgminer requires you to set the bitcoind explicitly as a pool with http:// prefix and you also need to add a --btc-address or it won't work. That's assuming you're using a recent official cgminer (no reason to use an older one).

Thanks.

znew to asic miners. Does that mean I can only solo BTC and not any other sha256 coin? Or do I add --"sha256 coin address" for other coins to solo?
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/

Pool mining works fine but when I try to solo mine any coin I get the "waiting for pool" then it just goes to a solid black box and nothing.

Solo mining with cgminer requires you to set the bitcoind explicitly as a pool with http:// prefix and you also need to add a --btc-address or it won't work. That's assuming you're using a recent official cgminer (no reason to use an older one).

Questions :

cheers
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
Thank for the guide Dogie. Allowed me to get familiar with the R-Box before even having it in my hand.

Plug and play with CGMiner 4.4.1 on rpi. Just added --rock-freq 290 and let it rip. This instance is also running 5 Antminer U2's @ 285Mhz.

my command line looks like this: sudo ./cgminer --rock-freq 290 --anu-freq 285 -o pool url -u username -p password

As a side note this rpi is also running an instance of Dmaxl's CGMiner 4.3.5 fork with 5 GAWminer Fury's using tmux to keep both instances alive and headless.

legendary
dogiecoin.com

No idea about solo mining, still no reason not to use a pool.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

legendary
dogiecoin.com
cool thanks.

does anyone know whether the power cable that comes with the rockminer, is the red wire the inside or the outside connection on the 2.5mm barrel?

Im thinking of making my own molex to 2.5mm cables an was going to get few of these (cut off the 9V battery connector) :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9-VOLT-SNAP-ON-BATTERY-CLIP-TO-2-5mm-DC-PLUG-Handy-power-adaptor-Also-CCTV-/371096683787?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item566716050b&_uhb=1

but need to work out which of those two wires do I hook up the yellow / black cables from the PSU molex connection.

I think the inside of the barrel is negative (so thats black from molex connector on PSU) and outside is positive (yellow cable from molex  PSU) but thats just a guess so need someone who has one to confirm that. Also the above cable shows a diagram with that config.

I can jut wait till I get my miners but I wanted to prep everything in advance and have the cables ready.

cheers

In your own projects, polarity is a matter of individual choice. The convention should be positive for the pin (TIP), and negative for the outer barrel (RING). This practice is nearly universal except for some odd-ball gadgets.
cool thanks.

does anyone know whether the power cable that comes with the rockminer, is the red wire the inside or the outside connection on the 2.5mm barrel?

Im thinking of making my own molex to 2.5mm cables an was going to get few of these (cut off the 9V battery connector) :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9-VOLT-SNAP-ON-BATTERY-CLIP-TO-2-5mm-DC-PLUG-Handy-power-adaptor-Also-CCTV-/371096683787?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item566716050b&_uhb=1

but need to work out which of those two wires do I hook up the yellow / black cables from the PSU molex connection.

I think the inside of the barrel is negative (so thats black from molex connector on PSU) and outside is positive (yellow cable from molex  PSU) but thats just a guess so need someone who has one to confirm that. Also the above cable shows a diagram with that config.

I can jut wait till I get my miners but I wanted to prep everything in advance and have the cables ready.

cheers
legendary
dogiecoin.com
ok, I had this one spare already.

Also, I have this non powered cheapie :

Would this work ok as well ? Is a powered USB hub required or non powered like the one above is ok too ?

thanks again.

Its just data so non powered is fine unless you're daisy chaining lots.
ok, I had this one spare already.

Also, I have this non powered cheapie :

Would this work ok as well ? Is a powered USB hub required or non powered like the one above is ok too ?

thanks again.
Pages:
Jump to: